Emmys

Primetime Emmy Nominations 2014: My Snappy Judgements

2014 Emmy Awards Nominations

The 2014 Emmy nominations were, as per usual, both thrilling and infuriating (mostly the latter). For every inspired nod (congrats, Kate McKinnon!) there was one that had me scratching the skin off my scalp (no best drama nod for The Good Wife?!). So without further adieu, I give you the good, the bad and the downright ugly from this year’s list.

RELATED Emmys 2014: The Complete Nominations List

I’m Super-Ecstatic About:
* The Academy recognizing True Detective‘s unsung hero Woody Harrelson (in addition to, of course, Matthew McConaughey).
* Masters of Sex‘s Lizzy Caplan scoring a best lead actress nod. Ditto co-star Allison Janney (in guest actress).
* The Good Wife‘s Josh Charles getting recognized for his [SPOILER ALERT] final season. Also, co-star Julianna Margulies scoring a nod after being overlooked last year.
* All the love for Fargo.
* The best comedy nomination for Silicon Valley.
* Andre Braugher sneaking in for Brooklyn Nine-Nine (the show’s only major nod).
* Matt Bomer scoring a nod for his revelatory Normal Heart work. (Pretty pleased about all of the love for Heart.)
* All the nods for Orange Is the New Black.
* SNL Kate McKinnon’s best supporting actress nod.

PHOTOS | Emmys 2014: The 43 Biggest Snubs

I’m Rolling My Eyes About:
* The Newsroom‘s Jeff Daniels stealing that sixth best actor slot from The Americans‘ Matthew Rhys (or Masters of Sex‘s Michael Sheen).
* The requisite nod for Downtown Abbey‘s Maggie Smith. Love her but enough is enough.
* Mike & Molly‘s Melissa McCarthy getting nom’d for lead actress instead of… so many stronger contenders?!

I’m Super-Pissed About:
The Good Wife getting shut out of the drama series category for its best season yet. Also, no writing or directing nods for two of this season’s best hours of television, “Hitting the Fan” and “The Last Call.”
* The Mindy Project getting the shaft.
* Zero recognition for The Big Bang Theory‘s sterling supporting cast (save for Mayim Bialik’s nod).
* No Tatiana Maslany? WTF?
* The absence of Bates Motel‘s Vera Farmiga makes me a little psycho.
* No love for Inside Amy Schumer‘s leading lady.
* Masters of Sex
failing to score a best drama nod.
* The absence of Orphan Black‘s Tatiana Maslany (because it bears repeating).
* Hannibal getting bubkes.
* The Walking Dead‘s Melissa McBride getting overlooked.
* No nod for Scandal‘s Bellamy Young.
* Nada for Sons of Anarchy‘s star-crossed lovers Charlie Hunnam and Maggie Siff.

Okay, that’s my two cents’ worth. Now it’s your turn. Post your own snappy judgments below. And click here to view a list of all the major nominees.

1. Jennifer Wallner says:

No James Spader??? #ForShame

2. JKR says:

Matthew Rhys! Kerri Russell! THE AMERICANS!

3. para says:

No Mindy priject nom makes me a little mad

4. Brenda W. says:

Next year, they should make a “Best Mumbled Acting in a Mediocre Comedy” category, so Mindy can win! Squee!

5. Chlojack says:

Jennifer Carpenter going 0-8 for Dexter is such a shame. She deserved at least one nomination during the show’s run. Also bummed for Dean Norris and Melissa McBride.

6. sarah says:

My snubs are:
    Monica Potter: Parenthood
    Charlie Hunnam and Maggie Siff: SOA
    James Spader: Blacklist
    Dean Norris: Breaking Bad
    James Wolk and Robin Williams: Crazy Ones

I do not watch Masters of Sex but what I have read about the show Michael Sheen should have been nominated.
    Same with Orphan Black, do not watch it but I have to say my fellow Canadian Tatiana should have been nominated!

7. Leslee says:

I can’t believe that James Spader didn’t get a nod for his phenomenal work in The Blacklist.

8. Kelly says:

The fact that Charlie Hunnam and Maggie Siff weren’t nominated makes me believe that no members of the voting body actually watched Sons of Anarchy this season. Anyone who watched what these two amazing actors did on-screen this year would be throwing awards at them. The fact that they were passed over yet again is a crime.

• LABete says:

I totally agree. That scene between them at the picnic table was absolutely breathtaking. It is outrageous that they were not nominated.

9. anna says:

ugh… every year I stupidly get excited about the emmys and every year it’s the same disappointment and anger. here’s my two cents.
    happy about:
    – matt bomer and joe mantello
    – oitnb supporting and guest star nominations (I don’t understand why they didn’t all submit in the same category though… can anyone explain?)
    – ahs nominations
    – breaking bad nominations
    really pissed about (sorry, it’s a loooong list):
    – no tatiana maslany? or orphan black?
    – where is dean norris? he was great this season in breaking bad… he even stole some scenes from bryan cranston which is not an easy feat.
    – kerry washington? really? she was the weak link this season. where is bellamy young?
    – are you kidding with nothing for mindy?
    – melissa mccarthy? why???
    – where is romy rosemont? she deserved a nod for her heartbreaking scenes in the quarterback as finn’s mom.
    – again with modern family? come on, there are many other much more deserving shows.
    – mariska hargitay was incredible this year.
    – no good wife for best drama
    – no masters of sex for best drama. no michael sheen.
    – I love the newsroom, but jeff daniels, really?
    – no parks and rec
    – no andy samberg or brooklyn 9-9
    – nothing for sons of anarchy
    – no hannibal
    – no vera farmiga
    and finally, this is not about the nominations, just anticipating to the actual awards, even though true detective and matthew mcconaughey were great, I hope voters don’t forget about breaking bad’s incredible last season and bryan cranston’s unbelievable performance since it was a while ago. best TV this year in my opinion.

10. Eric7740 says:

Matt Bomer! Matt Bomer! Matt Bomer!!! Much deserved!! And he better win the Emmy!!!

11. eyesonly321 says:

No Tatiana Maslany? WTH indeed! And as much as I love Jim Parsons, come on, the supporting cast of Big Bang help make that show what it is. Once again, epic fail, Emmy voters.

12. Toni says:

Am I the only TV lover who feels like they need to give more broadcast love? I know cable is good and I watch many shows on this list but they could have left out Jeff for James Spader, Lena for someone else more deserving, etc.

Happy for Josh and I really hope he wins.

13. Lindsey says:

Where’s the Viking’s nominations? It was definitely well deserved. Vikings is one of the most spectacular shows on a TV. They were robbed! Much more deserving than many of the nominees.

• Ally Oop says:

I agree too. Vikings has a lot of quality but it gets completely overlooked. Orphan Black, Vikings, Orange Is the New Black, Call the Midwife and Downton Abbey are the best overall quality shows I watch but only Downton gets attention in the drama category. Orange has to take the comedy route to get attention.

14. Betsym says:

They’re called the Primetime Emmy Awards. Tell me how the Netflix shows count [sarcasm]? I know they’re episodic, but I’m just sayin’ that clearing them out would leave some space for those folks who are missing from the list …

15. Candy says:

No Blacklist, Vikings, Americans, Bates Motel
    or Bellamy Young or Jeff Perry from Scandal!!
    Breaking Bad is fantastic but it’s done. Jon Hamm is
    good he’s not better than some of the others
    who’re overlooked!

16. rawley says:

Yep. Mindy Project, Brooklyn Nine Nine, Parks and Recreation (Yay for Amy but c’mon, this season was phenomenal. Way better than Modern Family. Blech.), Hannibal, Bates Motel, Orphan Black, Masters of Sex, The Americans… I mean the list goes on and on. The Emmys have absolutely nothing to do with what’s best in TV, just what’s the most popular and buzz worthy. Downton Abbey? Modern Family? Mad Men? All good shows, but past their prime. The only thing that made me happy was all the Fargo love.

17. Takeagabu says:

You got most of it. I am also super pissed about peter sarsgaard not getting a nod. Anyone who saw him in the killing would nominate him in a second. But since nobody actually watched it….

18. rawley says:

Omg, super agree about Jeff Daniels and The Newsroom. And pissed about all the same stuff you are.

19. CMarie says:

Nothing for Bellamy Young is pure ridiculousness. And while I love Jeff Daniels in the Newsroom, there are definitely other people who deserved that spot. Matthew Rhys FOR SURE.

20. Amy says:

Hannibal is one of the best shows out there and should have been nominated. Mads and Hugh are great actors. The writing is fantastic

21. Diane says:

Please STOP with the BY BS. Tony Goldwyn was 100x better & he wasn’t nominated.

22. Hannah says:

so furious about the comedy category!! NO NOMINATION for THE MINDY PROJECT – that’s simply a crime!

23. mbisonti says:

I can’t even make understandable sentences right now…I’m just gonna say: TATIANA MASLANY.

24. Lorinda says:

* No Tatiana Maslany? WTF? Soooo Bummed!!! All the character work she does on Orphan Black is Awesome!!!!

25. Cindy says:

This is why the Emmys are a joke!!!! Maggie Smith is barely in Downton. TV academy still has the inferiority complex and must have “movie stars” I will boycott the stupid awards. They must have the same slots filled in then try to add one or two that look to be current. Frustrating!!!

26. Miranda says:

Wherefore art thou Peter Sarsgaard?

27. Kyle says:

Am I the only one who remembers how amazing Broadchurch was? There seems to be one angry about the lack of nominations for it. Olivia Coleman’s performance in the final episode alone was enough to warrant a nomination.

• Miranda says:

Broadchurch is not eligible for the Emmys because it is not co-produced by a US company. Only series with some US co-production credit (like Downton Abbey on Masterpiece and Luther on BBC America) are eligible.

28. Man, I know people want another breakout SNL female performer since Kristen Wiig left (who was awesome), but Kate McKinnon? Really? Dunno who I’d pick from that show over her but most of the people they’ve got now aren’t exactly wow-ing me consistently, at least enough to want to name them.

Pity they can’t sack up and not nominate so many of the same shows/people over and over. Half the time it feels like pity nominations…

29. elr says:

I’m super pissed that 90% of these nominations are soooooo predictable. The television landscape is rich with great shows and yet the Academy has tunnel vision (HA! HA!) and awards the same 1% of shows each and every year. What can the viewing public do to stop this outrage from perpetuating each year? When will the Academy recognize that the vast scope of the television landscape has changed drastically and that the Emmy Awards need to make some drastic changes also?

30. Les says:

Tatiana not getting a nomination is total BS!
    I’m sorry, but I do not agree with the Modern family nominations either. I think MF just had it’s least funny season. Kerry Washington’s repeat nominations are also starting to look like this whole thing is fixed too.
    I was expecting more nominations for the Walking Dead, but guess not!

31. Beth Page says:

Does anyone know how the nominees get nominated? I mean how does it work? Because its not working very well when they are better shows/actors/actresses that should have been nominated but they weren’t. That’s just outrageous to me. I will not be watching the Emmys when they air.

32. Rich says:

Woody Harrelson got that couch scene with Alexandra Daddario. Does he really deserve ANOTHER reward?

33. Diane says:

Most of these nominations are the same ole same ole. Most happy about Colin Hanks. Upset, (like you) about Melissa McBride. WTH is Silicon Valley?

34. Merideth says:

I love Melissa McCarthy, but I agree with this post. An emmy nom this year over emmy rossum and mindy kaling? Also enough with the downtown abbey love.

35. Isvnena says:

Mariska hargitay in the 15th season of Law and Order SVU has done her best work yet, but no nomination. She literally put her blood, sweat and tears into this last season and she got nothing. But you know what? She saves lives and is changing the world. That’s better than any award.

36. Isvnena says:

Law and Order SVU is going into its 16th season, with Mariska Hargitay literally pouring her blood, sweat and tears into the 15th season. The #savebensonsaga deserves an Emmy for mariska. I’m very disappointed that she wasn’t nominated. But she’s changing the world and saving lives, and that’s better than any award.

On a side note, OITNB was nominated and that kind of makes it a little better.

37. ncmacasl says:

Getting On was snubbed. Hilarious but often overlooked show.

38. TinLV says:

To be fair, there are a lot of potential nominees this year in one of the best years of television I can remember in years.. and only 6 spots in each acting category. I am psyched that Peter Dinklage, Matt Bomer and William H Macy got nods… and bummed that Tatiana Maslany and James Spader did not. But overall there are enough nominations that I agree with that I plan to watch the Emmys this year whereas I usually forego it.

39. David says:

While I agree “Hitting the Fan” was great it wasn’t even submitted for writing so that means it could not be nominated. I would love for an interview with the team to find out why.

40. Giorgio Kan says:

No nom for Soa or Dean Norris???Big Snub Peter Sarsgaard for Killing or Tatiana Maslany(WTF?)

41. Katie says:

Uhhhhhaaaa… Castle had been on for 6 years (going on for 7) and it’s NEVER got a nom for with best drama or best actor or actress for Nathan Fillion or Stana Katic! Soooo sick of seeing the same tv shows over and over and over again!

42. Aimee says:

Once again the nominations are terrible. Emmys you are dead to me.

43. vicki says:

Congrats to all who got a nomination, but I’m so disappointed that Melissa McBride did not get one. Her quality of acting is what raises the show above the standard “horror” and makes it so much deeper. Carol’s progression is the main thing that has kept me watching the Walking Dead.

44. Melissa says:

Parenthood. Mae Whitman. Monica Potter. The Blacklist. James Spader.

45. DAG says:

I can not believe that Melissa McBride didn’t receive a nod for her work on The Walking Dead. I watched quite a few episodes during the Dead, White and Blue marathon. Her trajectory as a character has just been amazing! An absolute shame she wasn’t nominated.

• Jamie says:

Preach!

I kind of said it above, but I’ll say it again. The Walking Dead will likely never get prominent nominations because those nominating probably just see a “show about zombies.” But what makes the show is character development, with Rick/Andrew Lincoln and Carol/Melissa McBride leading the way. Everything Melissa McBride did in “The Grove” was perfection.

46. Fred says:

I’m SO tired of the same shows and actors nominated every single year. Yes, Breaking Bad was amazing, but it has had enough wins and nominations. Also too much Modern Family, American Horror Story and Downton Abbey. And I wouldn’t mind if there was a little less Orange is the New Black, True Detective and The Normal Heart (Yes, they all deserve nominations, but fewer nominations are okay with me, to leave room for other shows).

They should introduce a new rule: Once a show or an actor/actress has won an Emmy, he/she/it can’t be nominated again (for the same role). That would give other actors a chance too. (I’m not saying they don’t deserve their Emmy’s, I just want to see other shows and actors nominated too, just for the diversity).

47. Debbie says:

EVERY SINGLE Character that Tatiana Maslany plays should get an EMMY. BUT once again, the Sci Fi Genre is overlooked, despite its meaningfulness in our culture!

• vicki says:

So true. the ones that got nominated are good actors ( not wanting to take anything away from them) but most are the same people that always get nominated. The Emmy’s really need to branch out.

48. I just, will Sons of Anarchy ever get an acting nod!?! This is just ridiculous.

49. kimie says:

I’m genuinely surprised so many people on here are shocked, every year the Emmys nominate pp who don’t deserve it and completely overlook some of the best work.

Mindy Project being completely shut out across the board, even for writing is evidence of this. I’m bummed out for Mindy Kaling, but no love for Chris Messina either? The dude is awesome.

Super psyched Lena Headey scored a nom for GOT, but would love to have seen Sophie Turner and/or Maisie Williams recognized. If they can keep nominating octogenerian Maggie Smith year in year out, why not honour up and coming actors doing exceptional work to even things out a bit? Sophie was amazing Mockingbird.

Matthew Rhys missing out for the Americans is also a complete shame.

Sad to see Brooklyn Nine Nine without an Outstanding Comedy nom. Especially as its such an ensemble show. Glad Andre Braugher is representing the team however.

I don’t watch Orphan Black but intend to catch up with all the fan love it gets. Emmys typically don’t go for genre fare however, and it has taken GOT a few seasons to be recognized. Fringe which was BRILLIANT never got nominated for an Emmy once. This despite excellent writing, direction, Anna Torv playing three different versions of Olivia, and the outstanding John Noble. If Tatiana Maslany is as great an actor as everyone here says it should only be a matter of time before she gets what’s due, if not on this show, hopefully another.

What is up with the categories as well? Drama and Comedy, that’s it? I wouldn’t call Orange is the New Black comedy, more “tragic realism”. I love the show and am happy it’s been recognized, but it does seem to be at the expense of a lot of great comedy actresses and shows. Meanwhile Melissa McCarthy for Mike and Molly. YAWN.

AND WHAT IS UP WITH NO VIKINGS♡??
    Travis Fimmel was great in S1, did look and act like he was stoned the whole way through S2, but somebody please give the brilliant Kathryn Winnick her dues. And directing/editing/writing. Next year or they’ll be a riot at the Kodak Theatre.

50. Purita Avila says:

This is all I’m saying. It’s the same every year and the same actors. The best series and the up and coming actors are always overlooked. They are never even recognized. Thanks for mentioning #OrphanBlack and Tatiana Maslany, that snub was terrible. What about all the “teens”, (and yes I watch them too) they are totally overlooked. There is so much talented actors in those series. I mean PLL, Switched at Birth. The Fosters, TVD, The Originals, Supernatural..should I go on? The Emmys have to change and recognize these actors and their shows. I call it favoritism. The voting has to change. That’s all I’m saying. Sorry for the rant.