The Clan of the Cave Bear Pilot Ordered at Lifetime

clan of the cave bear lifetime series

With ABC’s failed 2007 Cavemen sitcom now just a hard-to-fathom memory, Lifetime is taking a big swing at the prehistoric era — with classier source materian than a GEICO ad — by giving a pilot order to The Clan of the Cave Bear, based on Jean M. Auel’s series of best-selling novels.

The one-hour drama project, which is being eyed for a possible 2015 launch, is executive produced by Academy Award-winning director Ron Howard (A Beautiful Mind) and Oscar and Emmy winner Brian Grazer (A Beautiful Mind, 24), along with Allison Shearmur (The Hunger Games: Catching Fire), Linda Woolverton (Maleficent), who is writing the pilot, Francie Calfo (Gang Related, Empire) and Jean M. Auel.

The Clan of the Cave Bear, the first of Auel’s six-book series, is set 25,000 years ago, “when Neanderthals shared the Earth with the first early modern humans and a band of cave dwellers adopt blond and blue-eyed Ayla,” a courageous young woman who fights against “the jealous bigotry of Broud, who will one day be clan leader,” according to a Lifetime release.

The Clan of the Cave Bear was previously adapted as a feature film in 1986, starring Daryl Hannah.

1. Jimmy says:

It’s a great novel, and if done well, could be a great series. It will be interesting to see how they deal with the Neanderthal characters since they barely speak.

2. Michelle M. says:

This is one of my favorite books, and I hated the original movie (as did Jean M. Auel). My knee jerk reaction was a hearty “dear God, NO!” but reading that Auel is involved makes me feel better.

3. ninergrl6 says:

I loved that book so much when I read it in high school. Excited to see what they do with it.

4. Ally Oop says:

Ahhhhhhhh! I’m so excited. This is the best news. Ever. This book series is one of my favourite. 16 years ago I read the first book and ever since have had an interest in Pre-historic people. I have probably read close to 4000 books (I was a big bookworm from about 1990 to 2009) and the story of Ayla and Jondular sticks out for me. Hopefully Lifetime can pull it off well. The movie was a bit lacking but it is a fairly difficult book to bring to film. After all, there are no Neanderthals left on earth and much of the book is non-verbal.

5. Hege says:

I love the books. I would think this is a series would do better on HBO. I’ll watch!

6. i am so excited to hear this!!!! i look forward to seeing this!!!!

7. Susan Abrams says:

I’ve read all the Jean Auel books – loved them. Can’t wait for the TV show

8. dreamlife613 says:

This was assigned reading back in high school and I loved it. I read some of the sequels, but I feel like they became unreadable at a point. I would love to see this adapted as a high quality TV series (i.e., Game of Thrones level). Ayla is one of the best female characters in fiction.

9. tee says:

loved the books, would love to see how they can work in the animals baby whinny wolf racer and gray. was a grown man and cried in public when wolf howled when raguy died. very touching books to all!