Report: Rosie O'Donnell in Talks to Rejoin The View, Deal Could Close Soon

Rosie O'Donnell The View Return

Rosie O’Donnell is poised to reclaim a chair on The View‘s dais this fall, in the wake of the recent shake-up that left Whoopi Goldberg the last host standing.

PHOTOS The New View: Pick Your Dream Hosts!

Not two weeks after word broke that both Sherri Shepherd and Jenny McCarthy will be parting ways with the talker — news that each of the ladies confirmed on Monday’s telecast — TMZ is reporting that O’Donnell, who cohosted The View during its 2006-07 cycle, is in “active negotiations” to return for Season 18, and that a deal could be closed “shortly.”

PHOTOS The New View: TVLine Names 13 Nightmare Replacement Hosts

Since noisily ending her previous View pact early back in ’07, O’Donnell has acted on shows such as The Fosters and Drop Dead Diva and lorded over a short-lived OWN talker. She twice this year has returned to The View, first in February and more recently as part of a “reunion” of all the show’s hosts, as tribute to boss and departing panelist Barbara Walters.

1. Julia says:

Good call! I miss her on the show. She can be controversial and annoying, but she really adds something to the panel.

They will need to get a conservative voice and add some diversity with the rest of the panel. It wouldn’t surprise me to see that Candice Cameron Bure is on the list next and perhaps adding a latina (not sure who though).

• Jimmy says:

That Conservative voice needs to be someone who can stand up for what they believe in without resorting to histrionics and hurt feelings. That was always the problem with Elizabeth Hasslebeck: she couldn’t go toe-to-toe with O’Donnell. That said, I hope they don’t go with Sarah Palin. There are far more intelligent Conservative women voices out there.

• TV Gord says:

I love Rosie and I hope this is true, but I have to disagree with you about Elisabeth. She held her own for a year with Rosie, and in the end, it was Rosie who left the show after histrionics and hurt feelings. Her thin became incredibly and uncharacteristically thin-skinned on that last day, and I felt horrible for her. That said, I would welcome her back!

I agree with you about Sarah Palin, and I doubt that they would seriously consider her. I’ve said it before, but this show really needs a younger voice (at least someone under 40), and they are sorely lacking in a conservative voice. I sure hope they are considering getting back to basics in that regard.

• TV Gord says:

The third sentence should start with “She”, instead of, “Her thin”. That’s what I get for rewriting a sentence without proofreading it! Sorry.

• Shazay says:

I totally agree, but not with Candice. Elizabeth at least had SOME experience between Survivor an View. Not sure what Candice has done between Full House and DWTS. They should go Latina Conservative and reach back out to Rachel Campos, she probably knows her stuff since her husband is a senator or whatever. They still need to fill the young mother/young single gal spot. I wonder if whoopi and rosie would clash since whoopi is the moderator now and rosie wouldn’t be, I assume.

• SUSO says:

Not Candice. Sweet girl, but even when Whoopi would ask her what her feelings were on a subject she would pause then say “I have so many”…and that’s it.

It’s such a shame Anna Ortiz is on “Devious Maids” (well, she’s great on the show, but you get what I mean) because she’s awesome as the guest co-host.

2. Jake says:

Here is the problem with this as I see it. Rosie won’t be the moderator, so she won’t have the power she did before when it came to discussion topics. I’m not sure that will sit well and it might cause her to just be more adamant about her opinions and cause more problems

3. Mark says:

I would love for her to be brought back to the show. Please just no Ross Matthews. I really don’t want to see a guy on the show especially one with that level of annoying.

• Josh Emerson says:

Agreed completely! Rosie returning could get me to watch it some, but that could be cancelled out by a guy as annoying as Ross Matthews.

4. JVee says:

Rosie back on The View? I might actually start watching this show again!

5. Drew says:

Bringing Rosie onto the show was when any act of being a serious or respectable show was lost. She is not a “view”, she is a mental case. If they want a loud liberal to put with a loud conservative, they could do so much better. She won’t bring debate and discussion, she only brings spectacle. If that is where they are steering the show, they should just save time and end it now.

6. I would start watching again if Rosie were back! She should take over moderator from Whoopi, who is terrible at segues and is usually too high to read the prompter

• TV Gord says:

Hahaha, that made me laugh! I’ve been saying that a lot, that she should have mastered the prompter by now, but noooooo!

Maybe Whoopi doesn’t even want to be the moderator anymore. I could see her happily stepping back and letting Rosie take the helm. They’re friends. This could be shaping up to be a fairly decent panel.

7. Alicia says:

The View will get me back as a viewer if this goes through!

8. Josh Emerson says:

I love Rosie. I would definitely be interested in seeing her on there. :D

9. Ally Oop says:

I liked her when she hosted her own show but I’m not sure she does well in a group. She tends to talk over people and tries to dominate the conversations.

10. Kim R says:

I’m in. I might not agree with all of her views but she is smart, well spoken and funny. And for some who say she is a loud mouth…..have you watched the show? hahaha That label could apply to almost everyone who has sat at that table. Sometimes it’s The View and other times it’s THE VIEW! :D

11. Drew says:

I would love to see Dana Loesch hired as the conservative voice, but I doubt she would move to New York. It would be nice to get some intelligent people and stop flooding the show with z-list celebrities. Remember when the show started? As annoying as it was, they at least tried to appear professional and intelligent. Now they hire people based on how much publicity it will get them.
    And come to think of it, why is everyone expecting one conservative voice? Couldn’t they balance it out for once? The show typically has about four liberals shouting at one conservative… Why?

• TV Gord says:

I agree with everything you’ve written, and yes, two conservative voices should be considered, or a conservative and a moderate (which is what I consider myself to be). The table needs youth, too! One of the reasons this season went off the rails is because the panel consisted of four women over 40 who all essentially agreed on everything.

• TL says:

Because the “conservative” voice of late had been a regurgitated mouthpiece for FOX News, so maybe the producers don’t feel like they need more than one?

• TV Gord says:

The same could be said for both the right and left wings, so be careful whose houses you throw stones at.

The underlying thing that bothers me about many of the comments that I’ve read on these stories over the past few days is not just how intolerant people are of each other’s views, but that many of you say you won’t watch if such-and-such a person is on, because you disagree with their politics! It’s disgraceful!

If everyone is just listening to the people with whom you agree, how do you ever expect to find some kind of middle ground? Maybe you’re not interested in that anymore. Sad. We’ve become a generation that just likes to hear themselves talk, not listening to anyone else.

• Drew says:

Have you ever even watched Fox News? I don’t have cable. I don’t watch it myself, but it seems like the only thing that people ever say when discussing conservatism is “Fox News!” or even worse, “Faux News!” (which is just immature).
        The question is, why should MSNBC have four voices on this show when the network gets lower ratings than I have right now with this post? Don’t pretend that Fox News is this horrible biased monster while MSNBC, CNN and most of the network news programs are all pure and completely unbiased.
        As TV Gord said, both sides should be discussed. Preferably by intelligent people who know what they’re saying and don’t resort to petty name calling. Why not put two Fox News and two MSNBC types on there and see what happens? Why should the scales be tipped toward one side?

• TL says:

I think until you actually watch FOX News, it’s hard for you to understand why people get upset with FOX News. It’s fascinating actually…

• Drew says:

No, I’ve seen it. I just don’t watch it regularly. I know exactly what goes on there… but how is it any worse than what goes on with the other news networks? CNN and MSNBC flat out lie. They twist reports to support political agendas. They are stocked with biased news reporters. So if this is what you claim happens with Fox News, then why is it any better with the networks that you agree with? If you think it’s wrong, shouldn’t it be wrong for all of them?

12. Robby Horine says:

And Drew Carey’s ratings for The Price is Right are going to skyrocket.

13. Tammy says:

Ali Wentworth! Ali Wentworth! (or Ricki Lake!) I have loved it when both have guest hosted. I thought for sure Ali was going to get hired last year but they went with Jenny McCarthy. Ali thought she was going to get asked too. She is a perfect fit. BUT if they hire Sarah Pallin….. I’m staying out. I quit watching because of Jenny McCarthy. It will depend on who that “conservative” voice is before I will consider coming back.

• Drew says:

Sarah Palin wouldn’t relocate her entire family across the country just to work on this show. I think you’re pretty safe.

14. Tex Mike says:

Bring Rosie back. Might as well shoot for a total crapfest.

15. TinLV says:

Bringing Rosie back is a good idea. Now they need to find 2 or even 3 more intelligent ladies with differing views on many subjects.. not an easy task. I would not have a problem with adding a man to the panel, if it’s the right guy (just about anyone but Ross Matthews, please).

16. arial2 says:

My first reaction was “NO!!!” But the more I thought about it, the more I’d like to see her on the panel with Whoopi. I think her earlier participation was with people she didn’t respect all that much, could walk all over. I don’t think that’s going to happen with Whoopi. This could be a winning combination for revitalizing The View. But they do need to have at least one well-spoken conservative in the new mix to provide counterpoint.

• M.A. Miller says:

To arial2, my sentiments exactly. the chemistry will be awesome. Comedians understand one another. Do you think that the one well spoken person could be Sunny H.? She’s intelligent and very outspoken but knowledgeable in so many ways…

17. Anpo Mato Luta says:

I love Rosie, she says it like it is….and for a latino I would think America Ferrera would bring some much needed younger voice who can hold her own.

18. Suzette Coleman says:

I will start watching the show again if Rosie is to be back. I can still see her when she flipped her hair making like the Donald. That was one of the funniest thing I have ever seen.

19. dennis mloy says:

thank you thank you hope thing go good for you miss you a lot.

20. summer says:

I think it is a bad Idea.Why go backwards?.
    been there done that.

21. Linda Lockett says:

If that show wants to be cancelled, then by all means bring loud mouth Rosie back. I just can’t see Rosie and Whoppi working together. They both would be over talking each other trying to run the show. That interrupting each other all the time is what is ruining the show now with loud mouth Sherri and Jenny. PLEASE ABC SEE THINK CAREFULLY BEFORE BRINGING HER BACK. I have watched this show all seventeen seasons and will stop I Rosie returns.

22. Wanda says:

The years I didn’t watch The View were the years Rosie O’Donnell was on the panel. I don’t like Rosie O’Donnell. I say give me someone like Roseanne Barr, someone quiet and sophisticated with a sense of humor. Roseanne Loves her gray hair and speaks her mind. I want Roseanne, Not Rosie. I’d also like to see Holly Robinson-Peete sit on the panel. There’s always a loud, mouth uncouth Black woman sitting on panels and women like Holly Robinson-Peete are overlooked. It’s as if smart, intelligent women are just overlooked these days for drama queens.

23. M.A. Miller says:

This is phenomenal!!!! Rosie is so funny, witty and full of world knowledge. I think she has a lot to offer and will work well with Whoppi, Sunny H the attorney , Joy Behar, and Wanda Skyets (?)YES!! bring Rosie back please!!! Never Elisabeth H. if you don’t agree with her she has a pouting fit, never liked her as a View Table participant anyway; delighted to see her and Barbara Walters LEAVE the show. We want ROSIE!!!.I need a laugh with all the craziness going on in the world, these ladies can bring it!!!!!

24. I will be watching it again if Rosie comes back, she’s real, she’s funny, she’s worth watching on a show like this. Good riddance to bible thumper Sherry, glad Elisabeth is gone, couldn’t stand her at all, and Jenny just doesn’t have the talk show persona, but I do like her otherwise.

25. Believe thats the wrong move to bring back Rosie her mouth is to big She will bury the show