Fall TV First Impression: CBS' Stalker

Stalker Preview

The broadcast networks have more than two dozen shows debuting this fall, including a new Shondaland drama, Katherine Heigl‘s TV comeback, a third NCIS and a trip to Gotham. To help you prep for it all, TVLine is offering First Impressions of the not-for-review pilots.

Next up on our list….

PHOTOS Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

THE SHOW | CBS’ Stalker (Wednesdays at 10/9c, premieres Oct. 1)

THE COMPETITION | ABC’s Nashville, NBC’s Chicago P.D. and FX’s American Horror Story: Freak Show

THE CAST | Maggie Q (Nikita), Dylan McDermott (American Horror Story), Victor Rasuk (How to Make It in America) and Mariana Klaveno (True Blood)

THE SET-UP | Lieutenant Beth Davis confidently lords over the LAPD’s Threat Assessment Unit, which deals with stalkings, cyber harassment and such. Enter Det. Jack Larsen (McDermott), a brash transfer from the NYPD homicide squad.

RELATED CBS’ Fall Schedule Kicks Off With Thursday Night Football; Two and a Half Men, Elementary Premiere in Late October

THE FIRST IMPRESSION | When the president of CBS Entertainment touts a show as “the scariest drama to ever air” on the network, you go in with certain expectations. And while elements of the Stalker pilot are, make no mistake, damn creepy — you will never look at your bedroom throw rug the same way again — this horror fan was a bit underwhelmed. (Was I disappointed that a Big Twist I predicted never came to fruition? Or maybe my sensibilities are too twisted? Discuss.) It very well could be that exec producer Kevin Williamson (The Following, Scream) didn’t want to go “all out” just yet with the pilot and risk giving CBS brass any heebie-jeebies as they made their fall TV picks, since I’m hearing that he’s got frightfully edgy plans for this latest endeavor.

Of the cast, it’s great to see Maggie Q again leading a show (if you’re hoping to see her kick a little ass, you’ll get that, though Beth may be even more dead-serious than Nikita!), while McDermott’s interloper is, by design, met with an uncomfortably chilly reception. Sure ’nuff, Beth and Jack each have “issues” in their past that would seem to service a serialized element to the series as it tackles Cases of the Week. Lastly, being a Williamson joint, Stalker has some terrific musical cues, including a haunting Michelle Branch cover of “Creep.”

THE TVLINE BOTTOM LINE | Stalker is, among other things, a perfect companion piece to lead-in Criminal Minds, so CBS shouldn’t miss a step when it comes to “flow” for the night, as CSI gets shuttled to Sundays. Subsequent episodes, though, would be wise to amp up the “OMGWTF!” factor, if only to generate buzz.

Watch a video preview for Stalker, then vote in our poll below.

1. Dav says:

I think I’m the only person in the world who doesn’t like Dylan McDermott. It sounds interesting I just wish he wasn’t in it.

2. Rick Katze says:

Highlights look interesting. Probably worth a look on the DVR since I like Chicago PD and will watch that first. I suspect the key issue will be whether the characters mesh together. Obviously can’t tell from the highlights.

3. Justin says:

My main problemis tush show is just more of the same from CBS. It doesn’t sound like anything about it will stand out from all of their other crime dramas. But I hope it’s successful for Maggie and Dylan’s sakes.

4. I was disappointed about something to do with D.McD’s character. I don’t want to spoil. But suffice it to say, I’m not as excited about this show as I was before I watched the pilot. :(

5. Tran says:

This show really scares me to death on a Wednesday night. I’ll give it a try if it does scares me to watch it. Dylan McDermott should definitely bounce back on TV after the disappointment of Hostages (another CBS series).

6. bj says:

Just the preview scared the crap out of me. I’ll definitely give it a go.

7. webly3 says:

I will definitely try this!

8. Cassandra says:

I’m no longer going bother giving Kevin Williamson shows a shot. Even if they are remotely decent, he leaves within 2-3 years and they fall apart.

9. Guest says:

This show looks horrifyingly scary, but I will literally watch anything that has Maggie Q in it. The woman is a goddess amongst humans.

10. Ray says:

The only show I watch during the regular TV season on CBS is The Amazing Race. Everything else is a boring, generic procedural aimed at the 60+ crowd.

• Justin says:

Person Of Interest is the only CBS drama that I feel is truly stand out and amazing.

• Whatevah says:

Hopefully you will make it to 60 and realize that you don’t feel any different then when you were 20. And you’ll wonder why people act like you’re feeble because of a number.

• Marco says:

Even the comedies?

The Good Wife and Person Of Interest are really not, though.

11. Suhail says:

Really liked the pilot for this.

12. James D says:

I’m in for the cast alone. I watched about half of the first season of the following until the glaring ineptitude of the FBI drove me away hopefully this will be different.

13. herman1959 says:

Sorry, I’m not watching anything this scary/creepy every week!

14. Ally Oop says:

The trailer was good and I agree, it will be a great companion to Criminal Minds. Plus I was a Nikita fan and Maggie Q is a great actress. However, I just might watch the pilot just because of those things but it isn’t my type of show so I’ll likely only watch the pilot.

15. blah says:

I was going to watch it, but the lead lady is too meh….and the guy isn’t much better :{

16. Jenna says:

I’ll give it a go because of Maggie Q, but McDermott has ruined many shows for me. And if this turns out to be just another formulaic CBS procedural, I won’t hang around. Besides, in this time slot, it’s starting at third on my priority list.

17. Brooke says:

I will give it a try for Maggie Q. I miss Nikita.

18. Sam says:

I’m only here for Maggie Q, I miss her old show Nikita!!

19. sierrah says:

dylan mcdermott is handsome okay? i’m in it for him and maggie q!

20. greysfan says:

One of the few new shows i’m excited for this year. Which probably means the show is doomed. The majority of shows i actually like in first seasons get canned. I hope this isn’t the case with this one. Good to see Maggie Q back on our screens so soon i just wish it wasn’t Dylan McDermott. I really don’t like him as an actor.

21. cycworker says:

I will be honest & admit no matter how much I liked the cast, I couldn’t watch this one. Too scary for me. I don’t like to be scared.

22. GA says:

We are looking forward to all the new fall shows. We are so sick & tired of the loud, lousy, annoying background music on all the network shows. Can anything be done about it?

• Rain388 says:

My family all says the same thing. It’s difficult to hear the actors a lot of the times lately because of how obnoxious the music is!!

23. jj says:

I would definitely watch it if Dylan McDermott is not on the cast. With him as one of the leads, not thanks.

24. Whatevah says:

I love Dylan McDermott and this show looks good. I’ll watch.

25. Elaine says:

I love love love Dylan McDermott and I think this show is going to be one to reflect his wonderful acting skills. Just don’t ruin it with a romantic hookup. Keep the show about the subject like Criminal. Minds does. I can’t wait for October 1st.

26. WT Drake says:

Has a Law and Order:SVU feel to it.

27. JC says:

Maggie Q back on my tv screen! nuff said :D

28. mrdoubleb says:

As much as i don’t like “body of the week” shows, they had me at Maggie Q.

29. curtlyon19 says:

shoot, ok,,, with this review and the trailers, guessing I will be giving this a miss

30. Rain388 says:

I think this looks great, and I give anything with Dylan McDermott at least 2 episodes to hook me, I love him! I just wish it was on another night – I watch all the shows listed as it’s competition, looks like my DVRs will be getting a work out.

31. mike says:

Dylan McDermott has been in to many failed shows of late. really can’t understand how he keeps getting work. Still..for nikita i’ll probably check out a couple. Or wait til it at least hits mid season.

32. nerd says:

Dylan McDermott is one of the most OVERrated actors ever. It makes me sad that actors who is being way more talented, never getting all this lead roles just because there’s ones like him, who has powerful support in the business. All his shows getting canceled but he keeps going from one show to another. It’s beyond ridiculous. I agree with the majority that I wish ‘Stalker’ get someone else for the male lead.
    While talking about Maggie Q, who’s on the contrary – absolutely brilliant but totally underrated. So I hope this show will give her success that she deserves. I would definitely check out this show just for her!

33. Seana Collins says:

At first blush this show looks as if it is based on victimized/stalked women – SO tired of this, I hope I am wrong.

34. Billk says:

The ncis shows, Criminal Minds and CSI are some of the best shows on TV. Good Wife and Amazing Race sucks!! (don’t know how it beats American Idol which at least provides good talent and launches careers.

35. Kate says:

So I’ve watched the opening — and guess what. Stalkers now have another way to destroy a person and leaving little to no evidence. It’s not new, it’s not interesting and it’s time for CBS to look for quality over fire power and violence against women.

36. Mellie Beckles says:

Of course I will follow stalker every week. Its is a great show and what can say about Dylan he great :) :)

37. Could it be that everyone STILL wants to keep their heads buried in the sand that this stuff actually happens.. Too bad tge world is not made up of little kitty cats and fluffy clouds.. Watch the show learn from it.. I thought it was good and the music very fitting.. Can’t wait for the next episode..

38. Curt W says:

I found it interesting that Maggie Q (Detective on the Show giving impression she was once stalked) comes home and THEN closes her drapes before bed. She leaves ALL of them open the whole time away? Doesn’t make sense?