TVLine Items: Lifetime's Lottery Trailer, Battlestar Alum to Matador and More

Lifetime on Wednesday birthed the first official trailer for its upcoming drama The Lottery, premiering July 20 at 10/9c, and mankind has definitely seen better days.

RELATED CSI and Y&R Vets Enter Lifetime’s Lottery

Set in 2025, The Lottery drops viewers into a world where women have stopped having children, putting the human race on the brink of extinction. In order to save all life on Earth, 100 embryos are fertilized and a national lottery is conducted to choose the surrogates.

The Lottery stars Marley Shelton (Eleventh Hour), David Alpay (The Vampire Diaries), Martin Donovan (Boss), Lesley-Ann Brandt (Single Ladies), Michael Graziadei (The Young and the Restless) and Louise Lombard (Star-Crossed).

Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…

* James Callis (Battlestar Galactica) has joined the cast of El Rey Network’s spy drama Matador, premiering July 15 at 9/8c. Callis will play Lucien Sayer, a “mysterious figure who commands a fraternity of the world’s most elite businessmen, politicians and influencers.”

* Dane Cook is getting his own comedy special on Showtime this fall, he announced Tuesday on Jimmy Kimmel Live!

* Though no official decision has been made about Sherri Shepherd or Jenny McCarthy’s replacements, The View has reportedly extended an offer to frequent guest co-host Mario Cantone, per the New York Post‘s Page Six.

1. HAP says:

Dane Cook? Seriously?

2. How can someone have “joined the cast” of a show which is premiering in 2 weeks time? Does this mean he’s a guest star, or does he come in as a series regular some episodes in, or has he been part of the cast all along but no-one’s mentioned it?

• James says:

Usually, a casting announcement is made much later after an episode that the castmember is first introduced has been made.

3. DavidSask says:

Page 6 is hardly reliable source and if Mario is on show same with Ross, people will flee even more from the View!

4. Joey says:

I watched that trailer wishing it was a take on the Shirley Jackson short story. I finished it pretty disappointed, as expected.

5. Liz says:

I read this book, but it was called The Handmaids Tale lol. I hope The Lottery is progressive and challenges social norms. It won’t be. And I’d also like it to follow science – like if there’s 100 embryos left to potentially save the human race, they will not be giving them to skinny women. I’m sorry, but a large woman who can actually carry a baby to term amist a gruelling post apocolapytic future is the only scientifically logical thing to do. But nope, this show will have them being given to thin women (not that they can’t carry babies, but still)

6. Jared says:

I give The Lottery 2-3 episodes until Lifetime cancels it and moves the remaining episodes to LMN.

• Robby Horine says:

Wow, you’re a optimist. I give it one before it is given the “those who kill” treatment.

7. Mikel says:

The trailer looks interesting. I will be checking it out.

8. Fido says:

The Lottery is starring Marley Shelton from Eleventh Hour so I’m in :)

9. pati says:

the lottery looks really good. almost too good for lifetime.

10. dreamlife613 says:

I’m up for anything sci-fi, so I’ll check out The Lottery. I hope it is truly a sci-fi series and not another soap opera.

James Callis! I’m actually looking forward to Matador, even though I laughed at the premise initially. It could be fun, and a good break from the heavy, dark shows I’m currently watching.

11. Great web site you have got here.. It’s hard to find good quality writing like
    yours these days. I honestly appreciate people like you!
    Take care!!