Exclusive

Chasing Life First Look: April Finally Comes Clean to Her Family

Loading video...

Ready or not, April will finally tell her entire family about her cancer diagnosis on Tuesday’s Chasing Life (ABC Family, 9/8c), and TVLine has an exclusive first look at the heartbreaking moment of truth.

RELATED Chasing Life Exclusive: Devious Maids‘ Tom Irwin Cast as April’s [Spoiler]

“It’s two-fold in the episode,” creator Sean Smith explains. “April is actually confronted by Sarah, because she finds pills that George has prescribed her, and she starts to think April’s on drugs. So she’s the one who hosts the intervention, then pulls George into it, forcing April to come clean.”

If you thought April’s confession to Brenna this week was gut-wrenching — and, make no mistake, it was — you should definitely have a box of tissues handy for April’s full-family admission.

Are you relieved that April’s family is finally being clued into her struggles? Hit PLAY on the video above, then drop a comment with your thoughts on Chasing Life below.

1. MeganT says:

Finally! It was driving me crazy that she wasn’t telling her family. I’m really enjoying the show.

2. Regan Wright says:

I love this show. And I have been watching it week by week on abc family. And on episode four i started balling my eyes out for no reason. This show is just so touching and i can’t wait to watch what happens next. If you have never seen this show I suggest you start watching it now. I know you will love it, Just like I do!

3. c-mo says:

I am surprised by how much I am enjoying a show about someone that has cancer! If I got a little weepy last week when Gerald died and even more so when she rant-confessed to Brenna, I’m not sure I’m going to be able to get through her telling her whole family.

4. Eran says:

I found the wait for her to come clean to her family excruciating and utterly unrealistic. Anyone who has been there will tell you that the moment you are served this soul destroying diagnosis, you waste no time in rallying everyone you love around you, especially when you’re only in your mid twenties. I do love the cast however and may tune back in now.

• johnhelvete says:

Sorry I disagree. The four episodes have taken place over the course of 1 to 2 weeks, it is not like April has decided not to tell her family, she is just having difficulty telling them. To me it seems like a believable choice that the character has made up to this point and that it is choice that people who are diagnosed with cancer make every single day. My mom, who I admit is not in her twenties, lied for weeks and insisted she did not have cancer when I kept pushing her about an upcoming procedure. It was only in recovery and her doctor thinking I knew already that I found out for sure (though I pretty much knew my mom was lying).

• johnhelvete says:

Added to say that I was responding to the unrealistic comment and not the excruciating comment, because it is hard to watch April keep the secret to herself.

• Laura says:

I just hope that Dominic doesn’t freak out and break up with her because she couldn’t find a way to tell him. For once I would like to see a love interest do the unexpected and take it in stride. While their relationship is new you can tell he cares about her and deeply at that

• Hannah says:

Really, out of the thousands and thousands of cancer sufferers, they all act the same way? I find that more unrealistic. It has not been long at all in the show’s timeline.

• neb8fan says:

That’s not true, people handle life altering diagnoses differently. Some people rush out and tell the next person they see, some people don’t want anyone to know. She has been living in a form of denial by not telling her loved ones. She doesn’t want to be sick, she doesn’t want to act like she is sick, and she doesn’t want to be treated like she is sick. In her world, two weeks ago she was a healthy young women with a future full of possibilities; and now she is a cancer patient. She is grieving the loss of the the future (not life, just a future without cancer) she had two weeks ago.

Besides grieving, she is also trying to protect her family and maintain a sense of control. She seems like a very type A, in control person. And right now there are a lot of variables in her life she has no control over. But one of the things she could decide was when to tell her family.

It’s good that they will know, because anyone going through this should have a good support system, but don’t judge her for not telling them. It’s not an easy thing to do. It will make it real and inescapable when her family knows; and it will change their lives forever, too.

5. H says:

I can’t see the video! Love this show!

6. Amy47 says:

Oh man, this show. It’s really good. It really has a great build up of a story. There’s a lot going on besides the main thing, the cancer, that’s also very interesting. I’m loving it.

7. Paisley says:

I am loving this show and can’t help but feel for Brenna and April on this past weeks episode I to have a family member who is dealing with cancer and I know from personal experience how hard it was for him to notify us of his diagnosis and how difficult it was for us to respond to it.

8. Nessa585 says:

I absolutely love this show! It seriously shows what an actual cancer patient goes through. My father has stage 4 cancer and this might sound odd to someone people, but this show helps me through it. I always have to make sure I have a box of tissues next to me though! :)

9. Ally Oop says:

Best show of the summer thus far. It has a great mix of comedy and drama, likeable characters and good writing. I just wish more people were watching,

10. Asta says:

This is a terrific show. Great to have something to watch this summer.

11. Alexis says:

The secrets was driving me crazy. I’m obsessed with for abc family shows right now. I watch this clip whenever I cannot take the waiting anymore