CBS Orders James Patterson Drama Zoo to Series

CBS Orders Zoo Drama

CBS is taking a trip to the Zoo.

The network announced Tuesday that it has given a 13-episode, straight-to-series order for the one-hour drama, based on James Patterson’s 2012 bestseller of the same name.

RELATED  CBS’ Fall Schedule Kicks Off With Thursday Night Football; 2-1/2 Men, Elementary Premiere in Late October

The series centers on a young renegade biologist who must uncover the secret behind a wave of violent animal attacks against humans. Patterson is on board to executive-produce, along with Jeff Pinkner (Fringe), Josh Appelbaum (Star-Crossed), Andre Nemec (Alias) and Scott Rosenberg (Life on Mars).

Zoo further demonstrates our commitment to high-quality, year-round programming and to high-concept series that play to summer audiences in the U.S., as well as on a global scale,” CBS Entertainment Chairman Nina Tassler said in a statement. “With this No. 1 bestseller coming to television, we’re excited to give our viewers a thrill ride with another blockbuster summer event.”

Zoo is slated to premiere in Summer 2015.

1. Amy says:

Sounds horrible. Why would I want to watch a show about animals attacking humans? I still can’t watch Bambi to this day!

2. Jane says:

This is one of the dumbest books I have read in the last few years. I can’t believe they would make a mini-series out of this thing. The humans are so stupid you actually start hoping for the animals to wipe us all out.

3. Moment says:

They should have greenlit a Planet of the Apes TV series if they wanted an animal show lol.

4. Alicia says:

I agree about this book being dumb. I have read all of his books & surely there was one that would make for better TV. I’m still bummed Women’a Murder Club didn’t last longer.

5. David says:

I’ll believe they are supportive of all year long tv when they air one of the NCIS shows during summer.

• David4 says:

NCIS: Summer Vacation!

NCIS members go on vacation to Mexico for a little down time, while their one of them is murdered and now they need to figure out who did it. Could it be one of their own?! Find out Summer 2015!

• Moment says:

Why would they air one of their top rated franchises in the summer?

• david says:

I was just saying that for the networks to be truly supportive of year round television they have to do better than reality shows and one off summer series (since not many series that debut in summer make it). I mean imagine if one of the networks gave it a real shot and limited the long break between May and September? Summer should be programmed a lot better and the notion of the tv season ending in May and not starting back up until September or October isn’t really valid anymore. I’m not saying they need to produce 52 episodes or anything crazy like that. I just feel like there should be stronger programming, and yes if that means moving a series to later on in the year then it could benefit everyone. ABC splitting the season for Grey’s and Scandal was a good model. They were able to break it apart and run something like The Taste which they could easily have just thrown into summer. The point is that they need to spread out the season and produce better quality programming during summer.

• Boiler says:

David, I couldn’t agree more. This is likely a perfect franchise for it too as they have so many of them.

6. Boiler says:

This was perhaps his worst book ever. I guess CBS not as smart as I thought.

7. James Patterson’s a gifted writer. I m looking forward to something of quality to watch!

8. What a well written piece. Looking forward to your work at TVLine, Rebecca! Naeemah Clark

9. Melissa J Barber says:

Very exciting!! I just finished reading Zoo. 2 sittings was all it took. I love it when great books are turned into mini series. I love “looking forward to next week”. Thank you!!