Scoop: Jennifer Love Hewitt Joining Criminal Minds as Series Regular

Criminal Minds Season 10 Jennifer Love Hewitt

CBS’ Criminal Minds will fill the void left by Jeanne Tripplehorn’s departure with a lotta Love.

TVLine has learned that TV vet Jennifer Love Hewitt is joining the crime drama during Season 10 in a series regular role.

RELATED Fall TV Preview: Photos and Video From 50+ New Shows

She will play Kate Callahan, a seasoned undercover agent whose stellar work at the FBI has landed her a coveted position with the Behavioral Analysis Unit. The character will be introduced in the Oct. 1 season premiere.

“We’re thrilled to introduce a new special agent by adding the very talented Jennifer Love Hewitt to our amazing cast,” says Minds showrunner Erica Messer. “Many of us on the show have enjoyed working with her over the years and look forward to again. We have exciting storylines planned for her character and the entire BAU team as we head into our 10th season.”

RELATED | Why Was The Client List Really Cancelled?

News of Love’s casting comes seven weeks after Criminal Minds‘ May finale saw Tripplehorn’s Alex Blake signal her decision to part ways with the BAU, after a two-season stint.

Hewitt’s previous credits include Party of Five (and subsequent short-lived spin-off), Ghost Whisperer, The Client List and a couple of I Know What You Did Last Summer movies.

1. lafortin9 says:

I love her and was a huge Ghost Whisperer fan. She is going to do a great job. I have been a huge fan since day one, watch reruns all the time too. I can see it. People just have to give her a chance.

2. neaorlean says:

I wonder if they’ll let her change her clothes after every scene, it seemed to be the thing on Ghost Whisperer, she didn’t even spend a whole night with the same nightgown.

3. Jared says:

Id much rather see J. Love on any other show but this. Ill pass

4. jamie says:

i don’t see how she will work on this show at all, cant we just have the group the way it is, you know, use what works.
    i have nothing against JLH but i just don’t see it or her working out
    but the proof will be in the opening ep

5. Just happy to see Jennifer back on TV love her alot and on one of my favorite shows criminal minds can’t wait .

6. Aimee says:

Guess I won’t be watching Criminal Minds anymore.

7. Bailey says:

I’m not the biggest fan of her and she doesnt seem like a good fit for Criminal Minds

8. Dee Litner says:

Maybe if she came on board in JJ’s old spot as media liason. But given her history of light weight roles, I just can’t see her as an undercover agent. It’s been four years since she played a rape victim. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for her drama capabilities.

I wonder if she was cast because TPTB expect difficult contract negotiations with AJC and/or KV next year when their contracts are up for renewal? Maybe TPTB feel adding T&A will bring in a more favorable demographic? Otherwise, it would make sense to leave the cast with one less agent.

9. GS says:

As long as Blake is gone, I’ll give her a chance. I loved The Client List and I live Criminal Minds. I’ve stayed through all the cast changes even when I didn’t like them. As long as Hotch, Reid, Morgan and Garcia are there, so am I.

10. Dav says:

I was on the fence as to whether I would watch next season. Well, decision made. My DVR list just got shorter.

11. Rachel says:

I am intrigued by this. We have never seen her play in this type of role before. She was up for Law and Order SVU before Lifetime pushed The Client List to series. I enjoyed The Client List and it was a great show, but I was disappointed that she didn’t get the role in Law and Order SVU. I love Criminal Minds and Jennifer Love Hewitt. I am excited to see how her character is in the season premiere. I feel most of you who aren’t happy about it is because she is not known for doing roles like this. I feel that she may prove you wrong and be a marvelous addition to the cast.

12. BILL says:

IT IS BEYOND SHARK JUMPING IT IS JUST BIZZAR . IT IS LIKE MIXING OIL AND WATER WITH THE GREAT CAST THEY ALLREADYHAVE.

13. Pat says:

I say, Welcome to Criminal Minds. I liked her on the Ghost Whisperer but of course this will be a more serious venture for her, playing an FBI Agent and I for one think that she will surprise everyone and do a very good job.

14. Susanna E says:

So she ruined her own television show by insisting her RL babydaddy got a more significant role, put all of those people out of work, and now she’s a regular on CBS?

I couldn’t be less interested in this.

15. Pia says:

I like her but I have trouble seeing her as a good fit for the show. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

16. pamela says:

She might just be on for one season you never know.

17. John says:

Bad decisions. Out of all actresses out there, why her? She doesn’t suit the BAU. And after what she pulled with The Client List, I’m surprised they’re letting her anywhere near TV again.

18. Dee says:

HEY PRODUCERS PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS.WORST CASTING DECISION EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CRIMINAL MINDS IS NOT JIGGLE TV.

19. Sarah says:

Be careful…if you tell her that her character will have a relationship with someone other than her real-life husband, she’ll just quit. Instead of, you know, “acting ” – also known as “doing your job!”

20. Dee says:

HEY PRODUCERS PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS. WORST CASTING DECISION EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Criminal minds is not jiggle TV. I am a regular watcher of the show from the beginning
    I even continued to watch when they brought characters I did not like. Before you attack me I watched Ghost Whisperer until it went off the air. I don’t think she is a d actor, I just don’t think she is a good fit for this show.

21. Every prime time network gives 1 to 2 airing dates to new shows, never giving them the legs they need to stand on before cancelation. The Nimrods should reschedule these cancelations to the summer months when the undying reruns take place, giving them there legs. MY POINT: GIVE Jennifer Love Hewitt a CHANCE, don’t put her on the cancelation tombstone run. GET ME!!!

22. SherryB says:

Definitely not a fan of hers.. It’s been going down the last few seasons anyway..Shows are just getting to demented and with all the lunatics in this country they certainly don’t need any more ideas..

• Angela says:

Yeah, pretty sure criminals are going to get their ideas for their crimes with or without this show.

23. Dee says:

Too bad. I’ve watched this show since its first episode. And now I will not.

24. fatia says:

I missed seeing her on tv already, she is very talented and can play any roll.I knw u can do this…

25. Paula says:

I am very excited I love JLH. You all must be young and jealous of her beauty! I did not like the lady who left the show!

26. Michelle says:

Why did Jeanne leave the show? Anyone know?

27. maureen says:

I can’t remember JLH in a full time role that she wasn’t dressed in spike heels with monster eyelashes, hardly BAU agent type, which really doesn’t make sense if you have to run after any criminals. Garcia does that role well but if JLH goes in dressed like that she will just look like a hooker and the show will bomb.

28. Jon says:

No, just no! She entirely ruined Party of Five, I will not be tuning in to Criminal Minds, not even for one episode now.

29. pc says:

That sucks, she is a horrible actress. Totally does not fit with this amazing cast. Could be enough to turn me away from the show, and I have been watching from the beginning!

30. Liz says:

I really like JLH (even if her costar dating gets in the way of the writers vision, but alas I’ll always keep coming back to her). I think she’ll be great on CM, definitely add a new flavour to it. Sadly this is one JLH project I’ll have to skip because I can’t handle CM, it’s too darn creepy hahah

31. Cas says:

Seriously if this is enough to make some of you stop watching after all of the random people they have had fill in the various roles in over the seasons then it’s probably time you move on. I love CM and I have been very disappointed at times when people have left and when they have brought in less than stellar replacements (never cared much for Blake or Rossi at first). But one character in this show really doesn’t make much of a difference. I could see it in other shows but really the core cast remaining in tact here is what matters. Besides nobody has even seen any of her episodes yet and I doubt one person ruins a whole episode.

32. judy says:

Hmmm… I’ll giver her shot.. Remember ‘Dharma and Greg’? I didn’t think that Thomas Gibson could pull of Hotchner? And in fact he’s brilliant… so… I’ll give her a shot Worst case, I change the channel.

• GS says:

I so agree with you on this! I was dead set on hating this show at first because I hated Dharma and Greg and could not believe Thomas would do well in it. I quickly changed my tune and Hotch is probably my favorite character. I didn’t like Rossi at first but love him. Jeanne is the only one I really don’t think ever meshed. Her character was just strange for me. JLH will not make me give up my favorite show.

33. SoFla says:

And so goes away any interest that remained for the show. I enjoy Morgan, Reid, Garcia, JJ, Hotch & Dave tremendously BUT the sum total of my love for those characters & their portrayers equals at the very least my distaste for all things Jennifer Love Hewitt. Can’t believe she has become the proverbial straw that broke my back with this show, which was a favorite of mine from its inception….guess all good things really do end.

34. Amanda says:

Criminal Minds is a cerebral show, Jennifer Love Hewitt is not a serious (or talented) actress. Hopefully the execs will listen to the fans and avoid a huge mistake. Nothing she’s ever acted in has been good. Um, Ghost Whisperer, Heartbreakers, I Know what you did last summer, the happy endings masseuse. Hardly the resume of a serious actress.

35. Rinni says:

How about getting rid if Messer, who has single-handledly ruined the direction of this show.
    That would have given them the money to hire better writers! Don’t care about Hewitt one way or the other.Not a good actress but is on par with Vangness.

36. CeeCee Smith says:

Yea, JLH…So glad Jeanne Tripplehorn is out of there. I hated her and the character she played. No chemistry at all with the BAU clan.

37. Scott says:

No, I might have to stop watching. Maybe they will kill her off during sweeps. (Fingers crossed.)

38. jussiecup says:

I had hoped that the show decided to invent a season around the fan favorites instead of introducing a new character and develop a season around her. In my opinion fans did not warm to JT for the most part because we rarely saw her or got to know her in an ensemble cast that was already way too big for the show to adequately develop the well liked group of characters they already had. Fans for the most part will probably not like this character because she will take away screen time from the characters they already like to see. Last season we barely saw Hotch, Rossi or Reid. And this season will probably be more of the same. If this is the show’s final season it’s sad that it’s going out this way.

• I totally agree with you. I don’t get why the CBS think this team ‘needs’ another member. Most fans like us have been around for years because we love the characters of the show, and instead of giving us a nice season with them, the writers will have to invest time and centric episodes in this new character.

39. kirads09 says:

My initial knee jerk reaction is – NO! Just NO! But I am willing to give a benefit of a doubt. She may surprise us. I just don’t understand why they couldn’t leave the BAU “down one” but give Reid (Matthew) bigger story lines and more screen time. That would’ve been my personal preference.

40. Jane says:

No, I can’t stand her. She is a horrible actress. How about giving story lines to some of the characters that have been there for years instead of bringing on someone that won’t fit at all. Boo!

41. Bobby says:

I guess this is the year I stop watching the show. And no, it isn’t just because of one actress. It’s a lot of little things all added up together. I think the quality of the writing has been going steadily downhill for a while now, the changing actors, and some storylines I don’t care for. Now put that together with an actress I really don’t like and that’s it. I am done.

42. oh great, hubby better watch out as apparently I’ve heard she “sleeps” with every male co-worker she has worked with and this one she married, but who knows for how long

• Angela says:

Gotta love the way some people just go straight to the rumor mill. Why exactly would/should something like this, true or not, be any of your concern or business in the first place?

43. Brenda says:

you know I hope Jennifer love Hewitt does not join criminal mind. she had two good series
    and with no warning (which I think Ghost whisper was the better of the 2) we waited and waited and waited each time for both to come back for the next season. I got tired of waiting so I googled it to find out she was not coming back. she has no consideration for her fans (ex fan now) I like criminal minds don’t let her spoil it

44. sarah says:

I have the opposite reaction of almost everyone on here! I really like JLH. She is a good actress. People need to watch Ghost Whisperer on DVD. I have not watched Criminal Minds except the odd rerun BUT now I think I will tune in.

45. Marcy says:

There goes the class the show has. Do you think we will have to spend 40 minutes looking at unbuttoned or low cut shirts. Very disappointed.

• Angela says:

Yes, because no other woman who’s been on there has ever worn those kinds of shirts, right? And naturally the fact that she’s known for certain aspects of her body automatically means that’s all they’ll focus on on the show, right? Quite a conclusion to jump to not even 24 hours after you hear this news!
      And I love this show, but considering the fact they can spend a good five minutes sometimes focusing on very detailed torture scenes when people (usually women) are being held captive, I find it strange that you would think a woman in an unbuttoned or low cut shirt would be the thing that makes this show suddenly “lose its class”.
      Besides, considering the fact the show seems to have no issue with finding moments to have Shemar shirtless as often as possible, I’d say the “sex appeal” angle would be fairly balanced in that regard, then, no?

46. kay says:

I hated Blake so this news just put a smile on my face.

47. Dean says:

The comments on this are literary the same as the comments on the NCIS page word for word. ‘Get rid of Callaghan/Bishop’ ‘Emily/Jennifer isn’t a good actress’ ‘get rid of Gary Glasberg/ Erica Messer as show runner he/she is ruining the show’. ‘Criminal Minds/ NCIS have jump shark the show won’t live another season’
    I’m starting to think the people who comment on both pages are the same.

48. Kiane says:

I hope they don’t make her the lead female agent when the boss Hotch has to go do case consorting and field work. He had Prentiss with him, sometimes Blake. It should be JJ as his female lead for the cases. She has paid her dues. Let Jennifer Love Hewitt be the supporting character.

49. Harriet says:

I honestly don’t mind Jennifer Love Hewitt on the show, just as long as she doesn’t date Reid.

50. Mary says:

I can’t stand JLH. I will stop watching the show.