Ratings: Solid-ish Opening for HBO's The Leftovers, True Blood Dips

The Leftovers Ratings

HBO’s new rapture drama The Leftovers drew a solid (but far from spectacular) 1.8 million viewers in its Sunday debut — but how many of those potential believers will flock to Episode 2 next week? (TVLine readers gave the super-sized — and unabashedly bleak — opener a lukewarm B-.)

Leading into The Leftovers, the sex-tacular second episode of True Blood‘s final season averaged 3.1 million viewers, down 25 percent from the 4 million that turned out for last week’s premiere.

1. Nikki says:

The Leftovers was an intense show but I enjoyed it. It has a great cast and though it’s creepy and paints a pretty bleak picture about the future, I want to know what’s going to happen next. Oh and wow Justin Theroux is HOT. Beyond hot.

• Charlie says:

No Justin is NOT hot. You must be one of those Jen fans that say that on any site that mentions him.

2. Kristen says:

Only 2 episodes in, with 8 more to go of their FINAL season and I’m super disappointed with TB so far.

• wrstlgirl says:

I gave up being disappointed in TB and just enjoy it for what it is. I’m excited to see how they end it.

3. marco says:

It was a depressing waste of 50 something minutes. The plot was not explained and the actors and their situations looked awkward. Total bore-fest.

4. The Leftovers got reasonable reviews pretty much everywhere except TVLINE. Which I think says more about the sort of people who comment here than it does about the show. It is not going to be an easy show to watch – mankind doesn’t like to be reminded that its not that far off being as feral as the dogs were in the show.

• Charlie says:

No, it got trashed on all the sites I looked at. The majority of people that were posting about it hated it. I can name Variety, Indiewire, Salon, Irish Independent, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, LA Times…that all gave bad reviews as did the majority of comments from the public.

• Charlie says:

Some other sites that gave The Leftovers bad reviews: Variety, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Salon, LA Times, and plenty more. The majority of comments on all sites I have seen are also bad. Most people hated it.

5. Ian says:

It’s interesting, the psychology that’s at work now. The Leftovers really was just a pretentious load of mostly crap trying really hard to be something poignant. Very cliche and with some shocking visuals meant to be metaphors the audience is supposed to glean a deeper meaning from than what the writers could think of themselves. And it makes those viewers that do attribute more profundity to it than it deserves, feel superior than those that are panning the show.
    And no surprise at all True Blood lost a quarter of its viewers from the premiere. It’s lost all quality.

6. Boone says:

The Leftovers is the most beautiful “depressing” show on the air. I love it.

7. Paula says:

I tried to like The Leftovers but unfortunately it is too much like Lost. And just like Lost it lacks any real cohesive plot. The only “drama” is the one scene when we see the baby disappear from the car. Then quickly its 3 years later. I can foresee endless ridiculous sub-plots that lead nowhere with just enough cliffhangers to keep folks tuned in. The only thing worth watching is Theroux and he is wasted! Not going to bother with this

As for True Blood, I am a fan but it is so obvious that they killed off the gorgeous werewolf to either make way for somebody new or to have her end up with Vampire Bill. I hope this final season improves as I have really enjoyed all the wonderful characters on this show. Horror, sex and unexpected humor are a winning combination. I will miss it!