Community Lives! Season 6 to Air on Yahoo Screen

Community Season 6 Yahoo Renewed

Now we just need the freakin’ movie!

In a remarkable 11th hour resurrection, Community — which was cancelled last month by NBC — will live on via Yahoo Screen, which has ordered a 13-episode 6th season.

RELATED TVLine’s 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning?

“I am very pleased that Community will be returning for its predestined sixth season on Yahoo,” said series creator (and returning showrunner) Dan Harmon in a statement. “I look forward to bringing our beloved NBC sitcom to a larger audience by moving it online. I vow to dominate our new competition. Rest easy, Big Bang Theory. Look out, Bang Bus!”

Added leading man Joel McHale, “’The reports of our cancelation have been greatly exaggerated.’ —Mark Twain (The other version of this quote has been wrong for years). #SixSeasonsAndaMovie is real. Thank you Sony. Thank you Yahoo. Thank you Dan Harmon. And thank you to the greatest f%$#ing fans in the history of the human race. It’s the internet. We can swear now.”

Kathy Savitt, CMO of Yahoo, cited the show’s “incredibly passionate and loyal fan base” as a factor in the show’s pickup, adding, “We couldn’t be more excited to work with Dan, Joel, and the entire cast, as well as Sony, to deliver a great season 6.”

News of Community‘s rescue comes just days after our report that Hulu had abandoned talks to acquire the series and mere hours before a July 1 deadline (which is when Sony’s hold on the actors was set to expire).

All current (aka Season 5) series regulars will be back for Season 6. Donald Glover, meanwhile, will not be returning, TVLine has confirmed.

1. Mare says:

Can I just say:
    YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

2. SherryB says:

Big Whoop!!! And those who don’t have Yahoo Screen will do what? Exactly, NOTHING…Its was cancelled, if a network or cable network doesn’t pick up the ended shows then suck it up and let it go…

• Kinda like how Orange is the New Black and House of Cards are non-entities, right?

• Tav says:

Seriously. I watch everything online anyway, so where Community airs makes no difference. At least it’s getting produced.

• Anon says:

ITA!!! When will people learn that Community was just not good? It should have been left for dead. Yahoo will live to regret this decision.

• Angela says:

When will people learn that Community was just not good?
        I dunno, when will you realize that statement is merely your personal opinion (which you’re perfectly entitled to) and not a fact?

• thesnyke@gmail says:

Why do go to multiple news stories about community and post the same comment. Especially when you say you don’t like community, you sir have no life

• kidris90 says:

Anon, you keep trolling like this on multiple websites. Why? If you don’t like the show, stop talking about it.

• Andrew Hass says:

I never watched Community but i’m happy for the show’s fans.Now as for you Anon if you think Community wasn’t good why do you care if it’s coming back or not.Plus if Yahoo wants to bring Community they can and be willing to live with the consequences.

• Andrea says:

I’ve never watched Community, but I’m happy for its fans. With things like this happening, along with the success of Netflix and Amazon’s acquisition of Ripper Street, decisions like this can only benefit TV in the future. I’m just sorry this option wasn’t used to continue THE GLADES.

• tavir says:

Yahoo Screen is not a subscription service, so everyone has it. This is akin to debuting a series on Hulu or Youtube.

• reboot2099 says:

I am not familiar about yahoo screen, I will look into it. But free or not, I hope we get it in Canada too.

• bliq00 says:

You should get it everywhere that the government doesn’t restrict it. It’s one of Yahoo’s properties, like Yahoo Mail or Yahoo Tech or Yahoo Food.

• reboot2099 says:

Good to know, thanks for the reply! Although there might be some restrictions anyways, like our Netflix having different shows than yours, hulu not available here etc. As long as Community is not restricted, I’ll be happy.

• TV Gord says:

bllq00, I’m in Canada and just surfed around the site. Everything I’ve found is unrestricted, even SNL clips that could only previously be found on Hulu (which we can;t get). I think it’s smooth sailing for us!

Happy Canada Day Eve. ;-)

• My guess, knowing just a shred about how such things work, is that internationally the networks that previously carried the show will have the first shot at it. Hopefully the way that shakes out is that Community will be available everywhere, either on Yahoo or on the network that previously aired it.

• TV Gord says:

That’s doubtful, since it’s available everywhere online, but I imagine it will be added to the package of shows in syndication once it’s available the following season.

• awh shut up all we need is one more! I’ll just torrent it unfortunately

• tavir says:

It’ll be free to watch online, there’s no need to torrent (unless you live outside the US, I guess they might make restrictions on that)

• b says:

I torrent online content to avoid commercials, which obviously isn’t a problem with series on Netflix

• Britta Unfiltered says:

You really can’t just suffer through a few dumb commercials to support the shows you love? They give you so much and they ask for so little in return.

• revbill51 says:

You seem smart. Yahoo Screen is a free service, available to anyone with a computer. Why do you care if a show was saved or not? Don’t like it, don’t watch.

• Aleana says:

Thank you hate when people complain don’t like the show just like you said don’t watch love the show happy it got another season

• Amanda says:

Can someone please do this for Enlisted?!?

• Ben says:

Buy the inevitable DVD box set?

• CalvinballPro says:

Yahoo Screen is free. #derp!

• kidris90 says:

Your logic is idiotic. You’re saying you’re going to pretend season 6 never happened just because you’re in a bad mood? Good Lord.

3. Angela says:

Oh, wow, seriously? That’s awesome news!
    Never even heard of Yahoo Screen until now, but looks like I’ll need to start looking up information on it, and keep an eye out for a premiere date in the fall.
    Amazing. Great save.

4. jenna says:

wow!! this is definitely a surprise! I’m curious how long each episode will be

5. I believe a hearty “Hallelujah!” is order. I admit, I’d given up hope in the past week or so. Glad to be proven wrong.

6. Little Scarf Girl says:

:D Awesome! And it seems Yahoo Screen is free, so that’s even better than it ending up on Hulu Plush for most viewers. I know the show will never recapture the glory of the original 3 seasons, but it’s still a fun show with a fun cast, and if anything, I love that it got its 6th season.

7. Bryce says:

#SixSeasonandaMovie

8. SWEET BABY JESUS I’M SHAKING!
    YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

9. M3rc Nate says:

Lmao Dan Harmon…love him! OMG IM SO EXCITED!!!!! Cant wait!!! Now TVLine just find out who is gonna be back and who isnt….i mean it sure seems like Alison Brie and Gillian Jacobs have gotten other jobs…hopefully everyone that was in Season 5 will be back. Wouldnt dislike some new additions either as long as they are created by Dan Harmon.

• Patrick says:

This is key. I hope they get most of the cast back. Especially Troy, and hopefully Pierce for a few moments if possible.

I will watch, regardless, but the quality really dipped once Troy was gone.

10. Et al. says:

Streets ahead!!! I am overjoyed right now.

11. Joe says:

YAHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! (that works in more ways then one)

12. Cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool.

13. Joshua Rowan says:

LOVE this show and so happy to hear that we’ll get at least one more season!

14. Magali says:

Yeeeeessssss !

15. Bridget Jones says:

Goosebumps! Now, Troy please come back…

16. Quinn Mallory says:

Are these going to be full length 22 or even longer minutes episodes or just 10 minutes-minisodes to make up the 13?

17. pete says:

show wasn’t the same after the 3rd season, wont be the same now. Who will reign in Harmon now? will everyone comeback? I expect a shell of season 5 and it will be way weird

• elf says:

Why would you want to rein in Harmon in the first place? (It is ‘rein’ in this context.) Especially now that he’ll be on the web where there’s no pesky network Standards and Practices rules to follow? Not that I want to hear the f-bomb out of Abed’s mouth every other sentence, but a tasteful nude scene with Annie and Britta isn’t out of the question…

Seriously though, let Harmon go absolutely balls to the wall. He’s proven the ability to take structured insanity where nobody else has ventured, so let him explore that territory without restraint.

18. Joey Padron says:

Great news! So happy. Glad show get 6 seasons and a movie!

19. kd86953 says:

i am SO intrigued by this yahoo thing but you know what? i don’t f’ing care. and joel is right. THEY CAN SWEAR! they can do SO MUCH more online than on network. god bless. #sixseasonsandamovie

20. He’s is still sailing the world with LeVar Burton. Half of those signed pictures for the Reading Rainbow kickstarter will really be Troy’s

21. Erin says:

All I want to know is can I watch it through my Chromecast.

22. haymarilyn7 says:

These fans must be so relieved. Over here in the Almost Human fandom we’re still just sick at the cancelation of our show. We have nearly 30,000 signatures on a petition to renew, the show ranked 30 in the top 50 shows in the 18-49 demo, has won awards, we have weekly tweetouts and trended — but all we’re getting back from everywhere is silence. How did these fans do this? How did they save their show? What are we not doing right? Is there any mutterings anywhere that fans are being heard, that anyone is interested in saving our show?

• reboot2099 says:

Saving a show is a lot about fans, sure. But there also must be a will from somebody involved in the show to continue it. Be it producers, showrunners, actors, distribution company, whatever. In Community’s case, it was Sony going to bat with it, and Harmon willing to come back (after saying he wouldn’t want it to continue, he changed his mind).

I never watched Almost Human, and don’t know if anybody is willing to bring it back but I wish you luck.

• Anon says:

Before anything I love Community and Almost Human, both cancelations broke my heart and I’m so happy community is back.

Now about almost human I get no one is taking it back because of its cost, I mean, it really looks like an expensive show to produce. I think Netflix or Amazon are the only ones who can make this happen.

23. webly3 says:

Looks like Yahoo Screen is officially relevant.

24. nickp91 says:

Community is revived yet again! Take that NBC

25. Kimmy says:

Clever move by Yahoo. I’m thrilled it’s coming back. The show hasn’t been the best the last couple of years but it was still better most of the new comedies the networks have been buying lately.

26. arcticpanda says:

Yeah! For those worried about some of the cast who are signed onto other projects, I reckon they’ll film it like UK or cable shows, around the cast members. I watch a lot of UK shows and a fair number of actors are on multiple shows because they run short seasons from 4-13 episodes. I want them to take their time with this and not rush it, and if it means a split season, then so be it.

27. RyanC says:

Holy crap! Did not see this coming! This is amazing news. Just one question, what the hell is yahoo screen?

28. Katie says:

BEST. MONDAY. EVER.

29. rachelle says:

This is crazy! I’m a huge Community fan, so I’m happy, but talk about a miracle! It was always meant to be. #SixSeasonsAndAMovie

30. Belle says:

OMGosh!!! The show that CAN and DOES :) Yippee!!!

31. Ed says:

what is bang bus? is it a bus?

32. Babybop says:

I’m so happy!

33. Ben says:

What’s the status of Donald Glover’s new show? Wasn’t he working on something for FX?

• kara says:

Think he left to work on his rap career and go on tour…. he was at hagoutfest and I think he played at bonnaroo in 2013 during filming

• Kayla says:

I know, but he tweeted that if Harmon came back & asked him back that he’d star on it again. Wishful thinking.

34. S. says:

I didn’t even know Yahoo Screen was a thing until now. Smart move to do something so high profile in terms of saving a show like Community from cancellation. They just got a ton of free press so however much it costs to do the show, since people will be talking about Yahoo Screen more now, it’ll pay back a bit in attention for their service. Well done, whoever’s in charge of marketing, etc at Yahoo, well done.

35. Joe says:

Umm…did not see that coming at all. On what platform is this airing? Never heard of Yahoo Screen.

36. Sami says:

Of Course Yahoo picked up Community. Yahoo owns Tumblr. Its like a mom spoiling their children. But I am happy about this.

37. bj says:

I don’t watch it but I’m happy for the fans.

38. DJ says:

Britta for the win!

39. Jillian says:

YESSSS! Thank you Yahoo!!

40. Lizzie says:

Victory is ours! Sick season and a movie is alive.

41. Gigi says:

Yaaaaaay!! *doing cartwheels*

42. Ron says:

I know this renewal will divide fans, but in my opinion, Yahoo (for the first time ever) receives 5 meowmeowbeanz!

43. One question! Will it be geotagged and only shown in the US???? Big Q for me for I live in Australia where everything seems to be geotagged.

44. Han Darmon says:

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESHYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

45. David says:

*sniff*… Abed in the moooorning… *sigh*

46. Alice says:

Wow! I was ready to move on and then this great news pops up!

Can’t wait for the new season and I hope they continue on from that Jeff/Annie finale cliffhanger!!

47. Polly says: