The View Shake-Up: Sherri Shepherd, Jenny McCarthy Out

Sherri Shepherd The View

After seven years on ABC’s The View, co-host Sherri Shepherd is officially vacating her seat at the table. Additionally, a source confirms to TVLine that Jenny McCarthy is also not returning next season.

RELATED Jenny McCarthy on Leaving The View: ‘If Sherri Goes, I Go Too’

“It’s been seven wonderful years on The View and after careful consideration it is time for me to move on,” Shepherd said in a statement. “I am extremely grateful to Barbara Walters and Bill Gedde for giving me the opportunity. I look forward to the business opportunities that lay ahead for me and I am incredibly grateful to my View family and my fans for supporting me on this journey.”

RELATED Barbara Walters: Joy Behar, Elisabeth Hasselbeck Were Booted from The View to ‘Shake Things Up’

The View will be moving in an exciting new direction next season and ABC has made decisions to evolve the show creatively,” ABC said its own statement.

View-ers, are you surprised by Shepherd and McCarthy’s seemingly sudden exits? Any suggestions for their replacements? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Tammy says:

I stopped watching The View because of the Jenny/Sherri show. It suddenly was all comedians and Barbara. I suggest Ali Wentworth, Ricky Lake, too bad they can’t steal Aisha Tyler from The Talk. There has to be a few intelligent women they can hire to keep it going. The original concept of women of different views discussing current topics of the day is a good one.

2. Cathyklinger says:

Why is sherrileaveing I think Sherri was a good co. Host and Sherri was a good person and funny

• Cathyklinger says:

you guy should keep Sherri and keep her happy.if you guy getSherri off the show I will not watch you guy any more

• NOPE Sherri is the BIG MOUTH and is always demanding to be the LEADER and buds into every comment made. I will be glad when she is GONE… because all she talks about is her Jeffrey, like she is the ONLY woman that has ever had a child… I feel sorry for him as he gets older.

3. Willow says:

It’s time for Sherrie to go! I like Jenny very much, so she should stay! Enough with the guest hosts, etc.

4. Kathy says:

Yes!!! I have been a View(er) since the show began. I stopped recording the show when Joy left (didn’t care if I missed it), was elated when Elisabeth left and tired of Sherri over talking everyone!! Bring back Joy and hire Mario Cantone!!

5. PJ says:

These shows like ‘The View’ and ‘The Talk’ should all end. All these shows are, are feuds among these women whom make women seem silly and petty about things that don’t even matter. There are always a couple of women on these shows that are yelling and rude. I don’t watch them but when I was in a waiting room at a doctors office I had to endure both of these shows it was disgusting. I don’t see the appeal. It’s just as bad as some silly reality show with a bunch of people arguing and making fools of them selves. Who cares who leaves?

• Angela says:

This. I’m so tired of seeing female drama play out on TV. I’m all for the concept of shows like this or “The Talk”, but it’d be really nice to see a show where women can debate issues like mature, decent, respectable adults, and can bring some logical, rational perspective to the conversation. And even when they discuss more fluffy, lighthearted, celebrity-esque news, they still do so in a way that doesn’t make them sound like total airheads. Female audiences deserve better than what those shows are now.

6. donna farley says:

Not sorry to see Sherri go but will miss Jenny. The View has always been my “coffee break”, but would find myself telling Sherri to shut up and let someone else talk.

7. Bonnie says:

I may actually watch it again; I’ll wait to see who they fill the chairs with.

8. RT says:

I think The View is done.

9. NotSo says:

Good News about McCarthy. Now she can go back to doing what she does best, show her boobies for money and shack up with rich boyfriends, it’s a good living and it’s much easier than that thinking for a living stuff she tried to do. Of course the down side is that her nitwit mommy followers may have to find another ex-playboy model to get their child health advice from…

10. Suzy Q says:

Sick of hearing about “Jeffrey” (Sherri’s son) and everything being blamed on racism. I liked Jenny’s dynamic, but was ready for Sherri to leave. Seems they’ve had a lot of men co-hosting lately. A far cry from Barbara’s original “view” of five women of all ages and backgrounds.

11. I quit watching after Elizabeth was ousted. This season “The View” was unviewed in my home — so I won’t miss the the latest departures.

12. Jon says:

Prayers do come true. Sherri Shepherd is out of The View. I haven’t watched it in two years, not even Barbara’s farewell. I just couldn’t take her anymore. I may begin watching again.
    Jenny McCarthy out? – meh. Doesn’t bother me if she stays, but won’t miss her if she’s gone.

13. Misty says:

never liked it from the beginning.talking over everyone…..and thinking they know everything…it sucked

14. ciscokid16 says:

Lata B!zxcheszz…

15. Tran says:

This could be the beginning of the end of The View. :-(

16. onyainny says:

Would love to see Portia di Rossi added asa a host. She’s thoughtful, contemplative, articulate and possesses a sly, sardonic humor.

• TV Gord says:

I agree with you, but I doubt that she would relocate to New York when her wife is doing a show in L.A.

17. Ron Matrisch says:

I doubt Barbara was booted.No lose on McCarthy though

18. Liz D says:

OMG,
    I do understand about Sherry Shepard
    But Jenny. She never had a chance with
    all the bull going on. I hope you reconsider
    Jenny Mc Carthy again. I have been watching
    From the start and I’m a devoted fan.
    Let’s bring back Rosie O Donald . She was
    A great host . Plus Elizabeth has her show .
    Whoppie and Rosie O Donald would be great.
    Bonce off one another . Would love to see
    More seasoned Asian like Connie Chang
    Or the women N B C let go. Please please
    Don’t put a man on the view!!!!
    Bring Rosie O Donald back you have
    both views :)

19. Jamie says:

Now if they could just give Whoopi the boot and shut the whole disaster down, that would be newsworthy!

20. Resa hilton says:

I am shocked. Wishing them nothing but the best. #im available for the either spot.

21. After Elizabeth & Joy left, it’s gone down hill…unlike most people, I enjoyed both women because they brought 2 different views to the table in an entertaining way!! Sorry to see it change so much…I miss the “old” View!!!

22. teresa says:

overdue for Sherri Shepherd to leave..not the brightest bulb. Struggled with interviews and always seemed like she was unable to ad lib after 7 years. Reading off the cards became terribly obvious. Sorry but true.

23. Jianbe says:

They are both obnoxious. Maybe I will start watching again

24. Nick says:

First off… I am a Jenny McCarthy fan. I just didn’t think the collaboration of hosts worked. I don’t believe Sherrie brought anything yo the table….so yes it was time for her to go. As long as Barbara is gone…what a better time to shakeup the VIEW and add some fresh faces.

25. Linda says:

Someone asked me what I thought of Mario – not sure if they meant Cantone? Sorry, small doses only please. He’s definitely talented and can be funny, so perhaps with different people at the table with him, and kept under control, he’d be okay. But, he’s not on my list of potential replacements.

Obviously, Whoopi is staying for good reason, and I agree BUT with the caveat that she please not be so dogmatic in her own views – it’s ‘off putting.’ I often agree with her POV but it’s the way she announces that ‘this is how it is’ before pontificating. As a Gemini, I also see both sides of every issue, but try not to be so adamant about it. So talented, so quirky and I love quirky.

26. vinnie smith says:

Add some men to the seats😊😊😊😊😊

27. Paula says:

I really like Sherri and Jenny and I will be sad if they both leave, but I will have a speedy recovery if you bring back Joy!

28. I am so sorry to see Sherry go, but not Jenny. I would love to see lots of Big stars like Sandra Bullock, Julia Roberts and more fill in at least a week at a time.

29. Toni says:

I think Anne Curry would be a great addition.

30. C says:

I tried to give Jenny a fair chance, I really did, and she wasn’t half bad but every news story and article about the return of measles and whooping cough and I just couldn’t forgive her. Children have died because of her big mouth and unsupported claims and I just don’t want to watch her.

I’d love to see Rosie and Whoopi but I’m not sure how well it would work. I’d like to see individuals with both conservative and liberal leanings but ones that would actually think for themselves instead of spouting the party line like Elizabeth always did. If you’re not willing to criticize and admit when your side is wrong as Whoopi does with liberal issues and Elizabeth never did with conservative actions you become nothing more than a mouthpiece for a certain group. I hope we get a broad spectrum of views and a willingness to call out both sides when wrong. I think then the show could go back to being interesting like it once was and was something I’d want to watch again.

This last year was just unpleasant.

31. Tom says:

Let’s get back to basics here. Five (or four to start) women at varying stages of life with different points of view. We need the moderator, the comedian, the journalist, the counter-view, just to start. Here’s what I want:

Whoopi Goldberg
    Ali Wentworth
    Meghan McCain
    Ann Curry
    (and one other funny younger person but I can’t quite figure out who yet—feel free to comment with suggestions.)

• C says:

Here! here! An excellent line up and one I’d definitely tune in to watch come September. I had been going to suggest Meghan but couldn’t remember her name but I do remember thinking when she was on that that was a conservative voice that represented intelligent commentary rather than blind defense of the party line. And Ali — perfect great humor and excellent background to comment.

32. acurat says:

Jenny McCarthy was better than expected, but still pretty much off the deep end. Her whole stand with autism and how vaccines cause them did not help her cause much with the general public. I know plenty who hate her despite her external beauty.

33. Bettina Braun says:

Why don’t they get rid of Whooping too? She is so rude to people she doesn’t agree with..walks out, cuts them off. I can’t stand her anymore. And why ALL liberals? They should have more than one point of view!

34. joyce coffman says:

I think it should be me I do interviewing. Not interested in getting married or dating. Plus you need a not celebrity type that is quick to the wit. I have listeners that that never know what is to happen next. They nerd someone who look’s andove like they are ypung but not afraid to show their gray now need over and shake a tail feather. Smile

35. Val says:

I agree Sherry Shepherd is a real pain. She acts like a diva when in fact she is far from it. She turns absolutely everything into a racial issue and/or moral issue. An opinion is an opinion and doesn’t have to be turned into a diatribe. Just sorry Jenny is leaving too. She’s a hoot.

36. Glad Sherry is leaving, can’t stand her. Please go back to the origins of the show, women from diffrent backrounds and ages covering real women’s topics. Love Whoopie but don’t just add other comedians, maybe a news broadcaster, and other smart capable women. Also stop the selfie’s, its just aweful.

37. Pat Edwards says:

I’ve tried to watch the Talk and can’t get through even a few minutes of it. IF I have the TV on at the time the View is on, my TV is usually on that channel. I am a Whoopie Goldberg fan. I am disappointed Barbara is gone but understand she’ll be back as a guest frequently. I wish the show well in their future “shake ups” and hope they continue to do good stories and bring on entertaining people. One thing I would ask is not so much Mario Cantone please.

38. vp44 says:

Sorry about Sherri, GLAD about McCarthy can’t STAND her! Such a PHONY!!!!!

39. Denice Porter says:

How about Me!!

40. Nick says:

I have to say that I am going to miss SH, but I never thought Jm was a good fit with the show. I have even stopped watching it and started watching In the Heat of the Night reruns instead. It is not as good, as it was with JB and EH. It seems she show has died since they left, especially JB. I think they need to bring her back ASAP. I would like to see JB and Rosie O’Donnell return. I might would like to see EH come back even through I do not agree with her it did cause for a debate now it seems as they all agree which is not what the show is about.

41. vp44 says:

Sorry to hear about Sherri, but very GLAD about that PHONY McCarthy cannot stand her she is sooooo fake! GOOD-BYE

42. Howie Friedman says:

Really bad idea. If it’s not broken, don’t fix it. When they say “The View” is going to take an exciting new direction next season”, I just think that’s a stall and just so much hype. I think there’s more to this than meets the eye. regarding Jenny and Sherri, I thought they were both extremely strong cast members and made the show very worthwhile for me. It’s just too bad.

43. C Mar says:

Unfortunately, The Talk has gained a lot of fsns over the past few years and I didn’t think Jenny McCarthy was a goo fit. I wish Sherri and Jenny much success. Whoopi is still the best out there. # diehard fan

44. Sharron L. says:

Well, I just gained another hour in my day. With only know it all Whoopie left I will not be wasting my time, I really enjoy Jenny McCarthy and hope she lands a TV job soon. I will be watching that. This makes me very sad. Good luck, ladies!

45. Janis says:

I was just watching today thinking to myself that Sherri has became louder and more dominating during hot topics and they need someone to balance her out. I was getting used to Jenny, not as controversial as I thought she’d be at the table but not as interesting either. I love Whoopie and I think her personality will mesh well with anyone they replace them with. Glad to see Sherri go, would like to see Jenny stay. Bring on Roseanne Barr! I think she was great the last time she was on as a guest co-host.. The Show hasn’t been the same since Joy left though.

46. Eileen Rocha says:

If Rosie comes back. I’ll never watch The View again. She is annoying as hell w.

47. George Densley says:

I feel Jenny’s IQ dropped with each show and was disgusted by Sherri’s bible thumping criticism of gays after admitting to havng numerous abortions from affairs with married men.

48. liz says:

excellent. McCarthy needs to be off the air, peddling her ‘vaccines are bad’ dogma is dangerous to public health

49. Honey says:

Cancel the show altogether.

50. Germaine says:

Was no longer watching show because of those two. Loud, very misinformed remarks, so glad to see them go. Whoopie only panel member with smart remarks. Members should not constantly be talking about children and their family, who,cares, viewers have own personal problems, Hurray, perhaps I will start watching again.