Jenny McCarthy on Leaving The View: 'If Sherri Goes, I Go Too'

Jenny McCarthy The View

There’s a whole lot of shaking going on at The View, and Jenny McCarthy isn’t staying quiet about it.

RELATED The View Shake-Up: Sherri Shepherd, Jenny McCarthy Out

Following Sherri Shepherd‘s statement about leaving the ABC daytime talk show, McCarthy on Thursday tweeted a confirmation (of sorts) that she also won’t be returning next season:

_
Less straightforward, however, was McCarthy’s tweet about her fellow co-host:

_
Then came a picture of McCarthy with Shepherd, accompanied by an even more cryptic statement:

_
McCarthy’s tweets are certainly up for interpretation — where exactly will she be “back,” you might ask — but one thing’s for certain: Whoopi Goldberg is going to be awfully lonely sitting solo at The View table next season.

So who should fill McCarthy and Shepherd’s now-vacant seats? Drop us a comment below and let us know who you’d like to see join The View.

1. KN says:

They’re going to have to start from scratch? Three and a half seats are open.

2. Karen says:

Are they taking Bill Getty with them as well?

3. Lena120 says:

No shade against Jenny, but her leaving isn’t a shocker or a big deal. I was indifferent to her being on the show, but I know it was a point of contention for a lot of others. I personally think they should cancel The View. I find it unbearable to watch. I’m sick of the constant guest co-hosts. It doesn’t look like it’s fun for anyone involved. They all appear to be collecting a check and that’s it.

• Robby Horine says:

No worries, Jenny can be Chris Hardwick’s second banana on @midnight.

• S. says:

Can’t agree with Lena120. I’ll throw as much shade as I can get my hands on at Jenny. A full retraction on the anti-vaxx position or I’ll keep on throwing it. That opinion on The View meant that I wasn’t going to watch a single show as long as she was on it. Are they letting her pretend her leaving was her idea? Whatever, good riddance. You can have well-educated, differing views and get plenty of controversy. No need to jack everybody up with thoughts based on willful ignorance.

• debra says:

it was announced her contract would NOT be renewed, they weren’t even negotiating w/her. Her announcement is PURE B.S. what a Shady LIAR ! She knew she was out and tried to pull a Star Jones and act like it was her choice. Worse she spun it like she was a Loyal friend to Sherri ! What a POSER !

• TV Gord says:

For the record, she never mentioned to vaccination issue once in her season on The View.

• DJones says:

In total agreement with Lena120…none of the ladies are having fun. They all seem to be trying to “one-up” one another. And the cross-talking was horrible. I’m not for going back…but Joy Behar was excellent. Joy is smart, funny, and very fair on all topics. (and no, I’m not her mother…LOL) Here are the new co-host I’d like to see this Fall on The View. Joy Behar…Rosie Perez…Ali Wentworth…Margaret Cho…Megan McCain. Honorable mention: Bethany Frankel…Wanda Sykes. Please go back to the original concept of the show. Five women, of different ages, and backgrounds giving their opinions on today’s hot topics.

• Nancy Downs says:

Bethany Frankel would be a big mistake. Couldn’t get her own show to take off. If you bring Rosie McDonnell or Joy Behar back. I know I won’t watch your show again. Couldn’t stand either one of them.

• Deb Blaska says:

I hope you are kidding!!

• Deb Blaska says:

Djones, are you kidding? Joy Baher was so one sided and hateful it was disgusting. Comedian or not, she was very disrespectful!

• Diane M says:

thank you, I was beginning to think I wasn’t watching the same show. Joy was seriously nasty but covered it up with humor and a fake smile… such an intolerant liberal.

• debra says:

You were doing fine till your Honorable mentions. Those two should not be mentioned.

• Marilyn M says:

It would be great if Joy Behar would come back, but I don’t think she would. I like everyone else you mentioned though. Wanda Sykes is great.

• Diva M. says:

Lenal: I, so agree with your comments.

• Paul F Smith says:

Lena you are so right…shut it down!!! When it started the View was smart and relevant. It has been on a walker for the last couple of years. Whoppie is doing all she can do to keep this ghost ship afloat. Losing Shari Shepard is not so great a lose. She is without any talent or true intellect. Jenny is witty, beautiful, and all for Jenny. Many will not agree but Joy Behar was in many ways the glue of this thing. Even Barbara has lost interest. The newbie will not be able to create a new anything. RIP the View.

• Denece says:

I agree completely! Some shows just are meant to go on forever! Times change and so do viewers.

• BHnovi says:

I totally agree with CANCELLING the show. I hated that they talked over each other… annoying. And their opinions were way off track.

• Jeanne says:

I say drop the show, I stopped watching when Barbara retired. I had it with Whoopie interrupting everyone.

4. TV Gord says:

I’ll repeat what I wrote before this season began: they need to get back to their “prime directive”, women of different opinions and generations. This season was nothing but women over 40 with essentially the same “View”. This was the season that they lost their focus. I hope they get it back next year.

• Tess says:

My thoughts exactly, TV Gord.
      They need a 20-something, 30-something, 40-something, and a 60-something (since Whoopi’s the 50-something, if I’m not mistaken) and at least one of them needs to be single and without children (preferably the 20-something or 30-something). At least one should be conservative leaning and at least one should be liberal leaning. Different races too – try to represent as many demos as you can. Not everyone has to be funny but a good sense of humor helps, plus a knowledge of current events (not just someone who is willing to speak their mind but doesn’t bother with facts to back their crazy ideas up like some people that have been there of late).
      I wouldn’t be opposed to bringing back some of the former co-hosts either – one or two anyway. I think that based off the interactions on the reunion show for Barbara’s retirement that the best options/most likely candidates who could return would be Debbie, Lisa, and/or Rosie (Star still seems a bit bitter and Joy looked totally over it; Meredith would’ve been a great choice but she’s going to be doing her own show soon; and Elisabeth’s got the Fox News gig which suits her).

• Aimee says:

Lisa would bring back some credibility to the show. She was well liked while she was on and she has done some impressive stuff since then. Unfortunately, I don’t see her ever coming back.

• S. says:

Can we skip all of those (unless Lisa somehow wanted back?) I’d like fresh points of view where we don’t have large swaths of people threatening to not watch if so and so is back. If they have a 30 something I’d like someone who’s single and sans child. There are many well-educated women who’ve tried to get financial and professional stability before raising a family and who are up against it on the biological clock front. Watching a woman dealing with the same issues would be nice.

• Pat says:

I agree!

• dadx says:

why not cancel this “show”

• TV Gord says:

The ratings are still good (better than The Talk…although they aren’t int he same time slot, so I don’t know why people are saying they watch one instead of the other…you can watch both). They’re not going to cancel a show with good ratings.

• Yes, I agree. I prefer 4 co-hosts with an occassional guest as talking among 5 can begin to overwhelm. Great idea!

• Kristoffer says:

I agree with you. As much as many people disliked Elizabeth she at least (in most cases but especially in political topics) had a difference in opinion – which is what the show is supposed to be about. Same with Rosie. I actually liked to see them get into some heated debates about topics. Now it’s pretty much bring up a topic that we got from the gossip blogs, talk about it for a minute and move along without getting too in depth about anything. It’s like they (meaning ABC or the producers) have decided lets go along with the stereotype of woman are only interested in lighthearted, gossipy topics, clothes, shoes, cooking etc and not talk about anything that might cause some heated conversation. While I dislike all the talking over each other, in my opinion when a few of them disagreed with each other and were able to get into a deeper conversation, that’s when the show was the best.

5. pete says:

really glad to have her off TV, her views are not only horrible but they are dangerous, she needs to become more educated on the things she spouts out

• Deb Blaska says:

Pete, I agree” They ALL, including Whoopi need to be more educated when they comment. Whoopi just listens to the current buzz about Hollywood, never confirms what is true and what isn’t before she opens her mouth. But then, most of them did that!!!
      Cancel the entire show!

6. Shane says:

Marilou Henner, Angela Tsai, Cirie Fields!

7. Robby Horine says:

CANCEL IT and put game shows in their place. Anyone for a Sale of the Century revival? Or the ULTIMATE revival, The Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour (if it could get out of licensing hell with Freemantle and MGM).

• Bryan Evanz says:

Sale of The Century and Card Sharks! Dig up Bill Cullens grave and make it happen!

• AnnieM says:

Isn’t Craig Ferguson leaving The Late, Late Show to host a game show? :-D I don’t know if Match Game would be the same without Gene Rayburn & Charles Nelson Riley. Daytime TV was so much more FUN when I was a kid. Now it’s just a bunch of yelling and screaming, be it from The View, Judge Judy, or Maury Povich, et al. Bleah.

• TV Gord says:

Craig is already doing a game show this fall called Celebrity Name Game. It’s produced by Courtney Cox and David Arquette.

• Jen l. says:

Game shows woud be great. Who wants to be a millionaire or password. Loved those shows with a passion.

8. alistaircrane says:

Bring back Rosie NOW!!!!

• Rita Roth says:

O’Donnell and Barr w/ Whoopi would be a great start. I stopped watching because of Sherri’s ignorance!

• Maetha Chance says:

I like this choice, Rosie and Rosanne and America Ferrara if they can get them.

• Deb Blaska says:

O’Donnell and Bahar weren’t ignorant?????

• Mike Payne says:

No they are not ignorant. That gives them too much credit. Behar was one of the nastiest women I ever saw in my life. Bigoted, opinionated, uninformed, and claimed to be the “expert” on everything while spouting hate toward any person on earth that disagreed with her lies.

• TV Gord says:

Funny, everything you described is how you sound in this post.

• Mike Payne, I totally disagree. Behar rarely made claims she couldn’t back up. You can rabidly disagree with her views, but she wasn’t ignorant and when men display those emotions they are strong, not nasty. Just sayin’

• O”Donnell was a satirical comedienne who was known for her sharp wit as was Behar. Neither was stupid, inarticulate or ignorant. They were, however, caustic and I think a lot of people have a hard time when women are outspoken.

• Angela Peeler says:

Yes, I agree, Sherri was being very disrespectful with Whoopi. Barbara had to get her straight a few times. She likes to talk over people.

• Diane M says:

Please Gawd NO11

• I agree 100%. I would love to have Rosie back on the view. I think Whoopee and Rosie could alternate that way each can do other projects if they want. Both are so good and always enjoy their films.

• debra says:

Whoopies not sharing the Limelight w/anyone ! She is on a Huge Ego trip, was just days away from going after Jenny who was getting some laughs and not bowing to her. I’m not a Jenny fan (Man Hungry) at all but also am NO longer one of Whoopies now that I’ve seen her Ego on display there. She was so disrespectful to Barbara,(constant eyerolling) I really grew to despise her. She’s full of Jealousy and Racism .

9. Tran says:

Time for The View to go away. Really hope that the upcoming season is going to be its last. :-(

10. DavidSask says:

Why fire Bill as producer and still leave Barbera around as one? I hope Wawa is gone to so they truly can re-format!

11. M Sinclair says:

Bring Joy back, along with Mario Cantone

• d says:

Bring back Joy Behar and Meredith Viera. Katie Couric would be great. Need intelligent women/ men who like politics and are entertaining.

• TV Gord says:

Meredith has her own talk show starting this fall.

• eskay fergay says:

Behar and Viiera intelligent and entertaining? Yes. Couric? No. She is about as entertaining as a cardboard box, and she fakes herself through and serious dialogue doing extreme research. I think that is why she is so monotone and why she asks such lousy questions.

• Sondra says:

Are you crazy? Mario is a real waste and his voice and antics make me cringe!

12. James says:

Sophia bush
    Joy behar
    Eva longoria

13. Abe Froman says:

“If Sherri goes, I go”? Hate to break it to you Jenny, but you really didn’t have a say in the matter. You were terrible on the show.

• cindy jobe says:

Couldn’t agree more. She sounds like she is still in 1st grade. REALLY??? Let her go back to LA and take SS with her.

14. Wow, McCarthy AND Shepherd gone? The panel’s average IQ will spike so hard you could put your eye out on it.

15. Alichat says:

So Sherri is leaving because of all the crap going on in her personal life, and Jenny was fired. They going to rename the show ‘Whoopi’?

16. Billie says:

So glad Sherri is leaving. She gets on my last nerve. Have not watched this season except for Barbara’s reunion, goodbye–2 shows. Bring Rosie back!!

17. MP says:

This show is a shadow of its former self. It began as a smart show filled with different women with different views, discussed in an intelligent, respectful manner. Unfortunately, it devolved into the hot mess it is today. I stopped watching when Jenny McCarthy came on board, but it hasn’t been a good show for years now. I would not miss it if ABC pulled it off the air. As for the game show post up top, I would like to see that show with the Whammies, I can’t remember the name.

• Aimee says:

Press Your Luck! (big bucks…no whammies….stop!)

• LLA says:

I agree. The View has been dumbed down as the years go by. I don’t think the show has ever really recovered from losing Mereidith Vierra. (Lisa Ling was also a loss, but she wasn’t the moderator).
      The View has become louder over the years–screaming over each other-not allowing guests to talk. Very annoying.
      In addition, the topics discussed are focusing more on The Kardashians etc instead of worthwhile subjects. I guess TPTB are trying for the younger demo–but it hurts the show & ratings.
      I can’t stand the show anymore. Sherri & Jenny don’t bring anything interesting to the table. Sherri is a good comedic actress – but she really doesn’t seem to be well read enough for the original premise of the show. Ditto Jenny.

18. Nicole says:

I think I would be excellent at the table. I would love to talk to the team @ABC.

19. LaLucci says:

This is a great time to cancel the show altogether…give its time slot to The Chew and bring back One Life to Live or All My Children (or 1/2 hours of both)

The View is a joke…the absolute LAST thing that needs to happen is for the irrelevant dinosaur Walters to come back.

• TV Gord says:

AMC and OLTL have been leased to Prospect Park for ten years, and as long as they are in a protracted (and acrimonious) legal battle with ABC, both shows will remain in limbo (or more likely, dead).

• Nikki says:

Great idea!

20. Pat says:

I stopped watching the View last Fall. I was a long viewer of this show since their beginning but last Fall, I had enough. They should have ended this show a couple of seasons back and if they had at least they would have gone out on a high note.

21. Teresa Watkins says:

Gayle or Rosie back

22. Kimberly says:

Wow, lots of good comments here and some good suggestions. I guess I’m in the minority because I liked Jenny. I agree with TVGord and Tess. They need to get back to the original format with a diverse group. However, I definitely DO NOT want to see Rosie back. That alone would keep me from watching. I liked Rosie when she had her own show, but I don’t see her as a good fit on The View. Love the idea of having Marilou Henner on the show! Debbie or Lisa coming back would be good if they could get either of them. Gayle King maybe. How about Rob Lowe for a guy’s point of view. They need to do something to fix this show and do it quick and not drag on the search for new co-hosts. People lose interest when they drag it out.
    I don’t agree with putting game shows in it’s place. I think too much time has passed to bring back AMC or OLTL, two shows that NEVER should have been cancelled in the first place, but if they could get most of the cast back for both shows, I would love to see them brought back for a half hour each.

23. Linda says:

I very seldome watch The View anymore and I had watched for 10 years (since my retirement). Without Elisabeth and an “opposing” view, show has become way too liberal for me. Whoopie looks like a homeless person dragged in off the street and seems to believebher views are the only correct views…she seems to try to tolerate everybody else. Sherri and Jenny will not be missed by me. I like Marie Osmond when she’s on The Talk. Show was always too liberalvfor me but at least Elisabeth balanced it out some. Not sure The View is “fixible” in my eyes. I wonder what somebody like MariaShiver’s daughter could bring to table…another liberal I assume. I wanted Sheri but now am glad she’s leaving. You just need a conservative point of view as a regular…otherwise change the name to “Liberal Point of View”. Not loving the guys except that consertive one on recently…think he is on Glen Beck network.
    Shake it up so if it fails it’ll appear Barbara’s leaving had something to do with failure….but it was time for her exit.

• Brandon says:

Instead of raging against liberals, perhaps your time would be better spent retaking 6th grade English.

Jeez o flip, lady.

• Please bring Rosie back and all will be GREAT again. BIG ratings, spunky attitude and good ole unpredictable fun! Just like ole time when she was on before she made America laugh with her spot on impression of Donald Trump etc…….

• Brenda says:

A little respect for Barbara! She is probably the most literate, well read, worldly news person there ever was! Very smart lady.

• Nunya Business says:

Linda, Liberal Schmiberal…the show is not too liberal, it’s just too DULL. Now that the IQ challenged are leaving there is a least a chance of survival. The other thing that MUST change is using half the show as an infomercial for the ABC/Disney conglomerate.

24. Adale Smith says:

Jenna Bush would be a great co-host, along with Liberal voices you need a Conservative one, for opposite “Views”

25. Lydia Connor says:

The girl from full house! Candice

26. GS says:

She actually sounds like she had a choice…lol. I haven’t been able to stomach this show in a long time even though I can only catch it on the rare sick or vacation day. Too many liberal views with no balance anymore. Whoopi was the only good thing about it so at least she is still there.

27. Camille Brady says:

I feel the show went down hill when Joy left. The show lost it’s spark. Losing Sherri will be another big mistake. I have now lost interest in your show.

28. Annie says:

Haven’t watched this show in … well, ever, but here’s my suggestion: Nation-wide casting call for all open seats. That would drive up interest in the show AND get some fresh viewpoints for it.

29. Liberals Steal says:

Next year’s panel is going to be:

Whoopi Goldberg
    Maria Menounos
    Kimberly Guilfoyle or another similar Conservative voice
    Margaret Cho

30. PHILDC says:

“Who cares?” – People with jobs

• S. says:

Apparently you do, ‘PHILDC with a computer who clicked on the link, read it, and felt compelled to comment.’

31. Deborah Harmon says:

Get rid of Whoopie. Her time is up too. She is too life leaning. Need a right person as they haven’t had for some time. or a person like Meredith Vierra who everyone liked. Also need one in the middle. who can see both sides. Right now they have all left leaning. Goldberg to me also seems racist and has for awhile.

32. Janice Welch says:

I won’t watch The View without those two. I like Whoopi ok but the show won’t be the same without these two!

33. Steve F. says:

So long, farewell, auf wiedershen, goodbye!

Guess talking about your relationship with Mark Wahlberg wasn’t enough to keep you on The View, eh, Jenny?

34. Me. They need an international, liberal and secular point of view.

35. edna says:

They also need to ditch that stupid selfie segment. Why stop there, Whoopie needs to go too.

36. Doris says:

It seemed to me, after Barbara left, Sherri thought she was the resident know-it-all, Barbara kept her reined in, unfortunately Whopie tries ….. but, she does not sign the pay check…. so seems to often to be ineffective. Love her WG

37. Kim R says:

My opinion does not seem to be shared by many commenters but I am not a fan of Whoopi’s either. She takes over almost every topic and her opinion is so inconsistent and bizarre most of the time that, to me, it is wasted air. Not that there are brilliant utterances coming from the others at the table either but I must say Whoopi is the one that will make me turn the channel first, mostly because she is usually the one going on and on. I hope they give the whole table a revamp.

38. arial2 says:

Whoopi is the only reason I continued to watch until I just couldn’t take Sherri and Jenny anymore. Whoopi is the voice of reason (who’d of thought?). I would like to see them go back to the original idea of mixture of ages, points of view. The only past panel members I’d like to see back are Meredith, Joy and Lisa, but, sadly, that’s not going to happen. Whoever the new people are, please be sure they know how to think before hiring them. But I will come back and check out the new format, give it a chance.

39. Ella Wade says:

They should have cleaned house. Too much talk about race and bashing conservatives. I miss the old View.

• S. says:

I’m sure it would be nice for you if race weren’t discussed Ella, but for some people it’s a daily struggle and not everybody wants to stick their head in the sand about the problems facing those who are different from themselves. I’d like to here the perspective of someone who feels like their experience in this country is different from mine due to race. I suspect any criticism of conservatives puts you on the defensive. How much is your quota for the day? People of all parties do things that are worthy of mockery. If the shoe fits on that particular subject, wear it.

40. Linda Temple says:

Whoppie is incredily mouthy and quite a bully with a massive chip on her shoulder. So you need to counter with a woman who is bright, articulate, and not afraid to voice her conservative views in a polite way…………..ANDREA CANTARAS of The Five on Fox fits the bill.

Other names That could be fun and knowledgeable……Mary Maitland……Ann Coulter……..Wendy Williams ……….Diane Sawyer……….and many more.

Please….A little less talking on top of each other!!!

41. christine says:

Margaret Cho! Kathy Griffin!

42. Susan Cavanaugh says:

Patricia Heaton, Ross Mathews

• DJones says:

Love Patricia Heaton…I even love Ross Mathews…but I hope ABC keeps the panel just “the girls”. Sitting around the table…coffee/tea in hand…giving us smart…informed…funny (and) “I may not agree with you, but I support you anyway my sister” honest talk. Keep the boys for guest only. LOL.

• jeff hopkins says:

Ross almost qualifies as a girl but still I hope they get someone who is not so opinionated as Sherri Shepard and never let another complete a sentence without rudely interrupting.

• darnell477 says:

Wow, I liked Sherry. I hope ABC reconsiders. She was the energy. She and Whoopi brought the flavor to the show. I enjoyed Elizabeth. She had a different view. I also enjoyed Joy. What the hell restore the damn show back to two years ago.

43. I used to plan my morning around this show. I enjoyed the Elizabeth/Joy discussions, Sheri’s interruptions were annoying, but Elizabeth seemed to keep her in check. This year has been dreadful with the What’s Poppin —-totally embarrassing—-like watching Dumb and Dumber. Neither of these women appeared to be well read or informed. Sheri acted like she was in a church revival, while Jenny acted like an over the hill sex kitten, competing for attention–good luck Donnie, Love to see Diane Sawyer take over—maybe Suzi Orman. Looking forward to a return to normalcy.

• DJones says:

That’s right…what about Diane Sawyer? I still can’t get over her leaving the evening news this Fall. Of the three evening news anchors…I always watched her broadcast. We need more of us (women) represented on TV. But, I digress, Diane and/or the fabulous Ms. Suze Orman would be great picks for The View. Good call Dr. Meg Gaffeney!

44. Debbie says:

glad the both of them are gone, sick of the liberal bs, now get rid of whoopi!

45. linda gayle says:

IF THEY BRING” ROSIE O’DONALD” BACK………..THEY ARE DESPERATE……………OR PATHETIC or both LOL..*.BTW…SHERRI AND JENNY WERE GREAT..!………SAD DEPARTURE…LUV WOOPIE…………..

46. Elise says:

How about some younger talent from areas like sports (Jennie Finch (Softball) or Hope Solo (Soccer), Music J.Lo or Melissa Etheridge, TV – Shannon Doherty, Fashion – Vera Wang or Ashley Madekwe. This cast could shake the format up a bit.

47. Jan says:

We stopped watching when they became overly political.

48. So glad Sherri and Jenny will be gone. I have looked at The View since Day One, missing only a few because I taped all of them, but they are so bad that I erase most of the shows of the View now and just cannot stomach Sherri Shepherd or Jenny McCarthy. Even Donnie makes me sick when he pops in and they almost have sex on the show. Its disgusting. Now I know what her last Husband went through. And when Sherri and Jenny do their Funny Talk (or they think it is funny) skit, PLEASE!!!!! Its not proper for daytime TV for children to hear. I really think Sherri’s husband learned his lesson by leaving the Big Mouth and when she smiles and shows those teeth, I feel like upchucking. Its a shame! Really! The View was my daughter’s best show on TV when it first started, crying if she missed a single segment, and now she doesn’t look at it ever and NOW I am following suit and when Sherri and Jenny leave, I will then decide if its worth looking at. Its a shame, Barbara Walters, and I feel bad that you had to leave and then have this show such a disgrace afterwards. PLEASE START WITH ALL 4 NEW GUESTS ON THE SHOW!!!!! iT WOULD BE BEST!!!!!!

49. newsdee says:

Bring back Joy Behar and Lisa Ling.

• DJones says:

Yep…both smart, informed ladies. And they both have a “view”. The best line-up (in my opinion) are: Joy Behar…Rosie Perez…Ali Wentworth…Margaret Cho…Megan McCain. Honorable mention: Wanda Sykes…Bethany Frankel. But let’s face it Lisa Ling’s great too. However, I think the show needs fresh, and new perspectives. Exception: “Joy”…she is fair and would bring wisdom/wit to the table. Figure it out ABC…y’all are loosing me to The Talk. LOL! (just playing…I love my “View”)

50. Marianne says:

I think go real get someone that is not anyone special, Hey I would love to do it I can be real, I have opinions and can keep up a conversation. Call me