Fall TV Poll: Tuesday — S.H.I.E.L.D. Vs. Supernatural and Other DVR Dilemmas

Fall TV Schedule 2014

The Fall TV season will be here before you know it, and with it comes tough, new viewing choices. And the time to get thinking about them is now.

RELATED Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled?

All this week, TVLine is presenting you with the grids for each night’s fall line-up, including Big 5 fare and the likely cable competition. You then vote for what you plan to watch ”live” during each time slot.

(If you are irrevocably hung up on my use of the word “live,” I invite you to instead vote for your “Top Priority” in each time slot. Semantics problem solved!)

RELATED Fall TV Poll: Monday — Big Bang Vs. Gotham and Other DVR Dilemmas
Fall TV Schedule 2014NOTES ABOUT THE TUESDAY GRID: This represents face-offs taking place for at least six weeks of the fall TV season; that’s why, for example, Rizzoli & Isles and Covert Affairs (which will be on hiatus come mid-September) are not included. Details on new shows (indicated in RED) can be found at these links: The Flash, Forever, Manhattan Love Story, Marry Me, NCIS: New Orleans, Selfie, Utopia

RELATED Complete Fall TV Grid: Your Guide to What’s on When, Versus What

Want scoop on fall shows? Email insideline@tvline.com!

1. I don’t think I’ve ever voted in a group of polls where every choice is the top choice before.

2. Kissan says:

8:00-The Flash

9:00-Marry Me

9:30-About A Boy

10:00-Chicago Fire

3. David says:

Tuesday is the least interesting night for me and has been for a while. It kills me how there is so little to interest me Tuesday with other nights jam packed.

• Rain388 says:

My thoughts exactly! I can’t wait until we don’t even have to DVR stuff, we can just pick what we want to watch and on what day & time.

• Brigid says:

That’s how I feel about Monday and Thursday. Not much on for me on those nights.

4. Daniel says:

Both NCISs.

5. J.Norman says:

Unscientific polls get totally unreliable results.
    For instance, The Voice and NCIS will mop the floor with The Flash in actual results in the fall, but you would never know or suspect that just looking at a fan poll like this one.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Noted!

• I think it does provide some useful information about ‘buzz’. The Flash seems to be building momentum and is likely going to be a hit by The CW’s standards. While Marry Me may not get sampled enough to even be a cult fav.

• Ally Oop says:

The trouble with online polls is that people who come to these websites and vote on online polls tend to be younger (on average), more into serialized television and there’s also higher representation of scifi/supernatural fans. That’s why CW gets so much discussion on all the various tv websites and why reality shows aren’t very popular here. Also, shows which are crime procedurals and comedies, are less open to discussing because they usually contain one and done stories and it’s the ongoing stories/character arcs that are more interesting to discuss.

• Ashley Crawford says:

I’m a 40 year old woman and watch everything from Once Upon A Time to Revenge to The Blacklist, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D to L&O:SVU and Justified and White Collar.I consider that pretty diverse.I’m most looking forward to Gotham this fall.

• Jane says:

I’m almost 50 & I watch Shield, SPN, The Blackist, Justified, Defiance, and many other shows of this type. I hardly ever watch crime procedurals or comedies and please none of those shows where all everyone talks about is nothing except shipping.

• morgust says:

I am also in my late 30’s I am not really sure how you can put young people into a group like that. Other than reality TV which I don’t watch. I pretty much watch all kids of different stuff. While I like shows like arrow, marvel, supernatrual, VD, originals – I also love the blacklist, NCIS, Grey’s Anat., Scandle, Covert Affairs, White Collar, etc. I give EVERYTHING a chance!

• Drew says:

Then again, do the Nielson ratings really give us an accurate idea of how many people are watching a show these days? They might have been close when there were four networks and no option to watch later/download online… but I can’t say that I put much faith in them since the invention of the VCR.

• Adam says:

To be fair, Nielson’s job isn’t to give us an accurate idea of how many people are watching a show. They are suppose to count how many people are watching commercials. So they don’t really care about VCR/DVR viewers.

• Drew says:

Commercial prices are set by the number of people who watch a show. The more people who watch, the more expensive commercial time becomes. Watching live doesn’t mean that people are watching commercials. They’re usually talked over, muted, or people leave the room entirely during commercials. So, I’d wager that just as many people are probably watching those commercials live as they are recorded.
          Regardless, the point of ratings is to see how many people are watching a show… we don’t get ratings on commercials, we get them on series. But until alternative viewing options are properly taken into account, the ratings are useless. Live or not.
          The audience is there for the show. It’s the job of the network and the studio to figure out how to monetize that experience and make a profit. With old school TV, it was easy. Sell commercials. But now we have online streaming, digital downloads and DVRs. The important number in terms of ratings is still how many people are watching the show itself. The companies are simply failing to adapt to the new reality of their industry. They’re failing to count a large number of viewers, and they’re failing to figure out the new method of monetizing the viewing experience.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

They must be starting to care though due to all the product placement that has been appearing in shows the last few years. Go watch an old episode of Chuck and you’ll see what I mean. They were the worst with their Subways ads within the show. It was so distracting and made me so mad I actually stopped eating at Subway for a couple of years.

• ComeOn! says:

This is a poll for TVLine so they will know what shows their own target audience is. It has a clear purpose and clear result. How much more scientific can you get?!?

So Vote for the shows you wants TVLine to cover!

6. Theresa says:

Nothing good on Tuesday for me. It will be a good day to catch up on the DVR.

7. Chicago Fire vs. Person of Interest is the hardest one for me in any of the polls so far this week! But the other hours: The Flash and maybe SHIELD if I can sit through another season

8. Percysowner says:

Tuesday is a busy night for me, but not too bad. I’ll DVR The Voice and Agents of Shield watch The Flash and Supernatural. That takes care of it for me. It’s one night I don’t have to find anything On Demand to catch up.

9. jess k says:

Tuesdays are easy for me:
    8pm The Voice
    9pm SHIELD
    10pm Chicago Fire

10. Jacqi says:

Looks like my tuesdays are free unless abcfamily has something.

11. Jane says:

I hate that Shield is against Supernatural this year. For me it will be Supernatural live and Shield DVR. I’m just afraid this will hurt Supernatural.

12. wrstlgirl says:

As long as there are no more than two shows I want to see on at the same time I’m good. So far no conflicts which makes me very happy.

13. Tracytv says:

I don’t watch any shows live other than sports. Dvr everything n watch at my convenience. Can’t take commercial breaks.

14. Meg says:

I’m so tempted to NOT watch Sons of Anarchy anymore because they killed my favorite character Tara off.. but there’s only one more season and I want to see Jax kill his mother, so I’ll watch it live. Nothing else looks good to me on Tuesday night’s.

• Bwhit says:

Tara was my favorite as well. But I was always waiting for Sutter to A) break them up for good or B) kill Tara. Now that B has happened, I cannot wait for season 7 when Jax finds out and what he plans to do to Gemma. The perfect end for me would be Jax taking the boys from Charming thus breaking the cycle like Tara always wanted.

• wrstlgirl says:

i agree. I want somehow for Tara to win in the end but Sutters not exactly a rose pedals kind of guy so I’m not holding my breath. Unfortunately we’re likely going to have to watch the whole season before Jax gets his revenge in the series finale’. I won’t be surprised at all if Wendy gets the kids in the end because Jax will die too. I guess that’s a win for Tara in a way. All I have to say is if he doesn’t give his wifey the most gruesome painful death ever I will be very disappointed.

15. Tran says:

The only show I’m tuning in on Tuesdays: Agents of SHIELD. Passed on Selfie, Manhattan Love Story, Marry Me and Utopia. Don’t know if NCIS: New Orleans is going to be a hit or miss and the 10 p.m. time slot battle between Chicago Fire and Person of Interest continues but Forever doesn’t stand a chance and I can’t wait how SOA is going to end for its final season.

16. Nick says:

I’m going to have pretty busy Tuesdays. I voted for Agents of SHIELD, but it’s going to come down to whether AOS or Supernatural is having the most exciting season. I picked Supernatural for the first half or so last season, but then started giving AOS priority later in the season as it picked up (I’m busy on Tuesday nights, so I only get to watch so much before bedtime). This Tuesday will be even tougher, as I’ve also gotten into New Girl and About a Boy. The Flash looks cool, doesn’t it?

17. bjxmas says:

I’ll check out the Flash and see, but it’s absolutely Supernatural all the way! It’s always been my must see TV, but now with Demon!Dean it’s going to have even more heart-stopping action and angst! Super Season 10 for the win!

18. angelwings1 says:

Can’t wait for season 7 of Sons Of Anarchy to premier. I have a feeling this final season will be the best one yet. Charlie Hunnam is phenomenal as Jax Teller.

19. Ron says:

It seems like Tuesday will be my catch up/get other stuff done day. Aside from SoA, which will be airing at the end of the day, nothing here interests me to watch live. I’ll watch The Mindy Project live sometimes, but I’ll mostly be watching it the next day. I’ve watched The Voice since season 1, but I’m a bit worn out with the show. Twice a year is getting to be too much for me, so I’ll probably sit out. Not to mention, I really have zero interest in Gwen and Pharrell as coaches, and Adam & Blake are starting to grate my nerves–especially Adam. So, yeah, aside from SoA, I think Tuesdays will be my productive day.

20. P3TE says:

Oh come on, Supernatural is 100 times better than Shield……. especially now that we have Deanmon.

• Liz says:

Unless you like stories with dynamic female characters who don’t get killed off like fodder.

• Ally Oop says:

Agreed! That’s why I quit watching Supernatural a few years ago. It was missing a strong main female character and lacked any real romance. I like my supernatural shows but I need to have a strong female character I can root for.

• Jane says:

Really, that’s a little strange to me. Not disagreeing with you, just something I’ve never really needed on any show, I like when there are strong female characters and strong male characters but so often they just throw a woman or a guy into a show to set up romance and romance is most definitely not something I need on a show. It usually just starts dragging the show down. I wouldn’t be opposed to there being some women on SPN and heaven knows those guys could really use a little fun time.

• Brooke says:

Eeehhhhh, every other show in the entire world has a romance. Can’t we just have some demon hunting without it?

21. Jack says:

Where is the dilemma? I thought most DVRs can record more than one thing at a time, so why watch anything live? There is no reason to. Record and watch at your convenience. No dilemma at all.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Exactly!

• wrstlgirl says:

I rarely watch anything live unless there are three shows on at the same time. When that happens I record two and watch the third one in another room. Kind of a pain in the arse but it happens sometimes. Exceptions are The Walking Dead and Sons of Anarchy. I watch live and also record so I can watch them again. Oh and Survivor so I don’t get spoiled by co-workers :-)

• Ally Oop says:

Statistically, according to a poll last year in January, only 17% of households had a DVR. While I’m sure many more have gotten since then, there’s still many people who probably don’t. I can’t remember the numbers but many people last year still watched tv via antenna, had non-digital cable or subscribed to companies which did not offer DVR rentals. Also those under 35 were much more likely to have a DVR. Another thing to consider is that many households do not watch enough tv to justify renting or buying a pvr or simply cannot justify paying the extra money to rent one–for many people, just paying for basic cable is a stretch. One other thing is that many companies only have single or dual tuner dvrs so prioritizing still must be done. I suspect a very small amount of viewers have 6-tuner dvrs.

22. Mark says:

Can’t there be a way to do these polls that better reflect the reality of how most of us watch TV today? These days, the idea of needing to select which show to watch is as arcane as using a pay phone. And I can’t think of a reason to watch *anything* live, and have to slog through 20 minutes or more of commercials per hour, when the slightest patience means I can watch my story straight through. The results here are *neither* any indication of the numbers that might actually watch a show OR any actual indication of what shows might be important to us TV geeks.

People … am I wrong? Is there anyone here who actually watches most of their TV without a DVR or streaming service?

• April says:

In that case what would be the point of doing a poll at all? Which shows are you going to watch….oh, all of them. OK.
      And I think most of us here are smart enough to know that these polls don’t really mean much. It’s all in good fun.

• Ally Oop says:

I myself never watch live tv. Currently maybe 10% of what I watch is on Netflix. I really think scheduled tv is going to be unnecessary within 2 years as most North American cable/satellite companies will be providing their customers with cable boxes with at least dual-tuner dvrs. We’ve ready seen a huge downward spike in live viewers over the last year. Personally, I think the nets should change into On Demand channels. To watch an episode of a show, viewers would have to watch a commercial at the beginning (no fast forwarding enabled for the commercial). That would, in effect, render the DVR useless. On my mom’s cable, there’s already an On Demand channel for Playhouse Disney with a selection of many shows–my kids just pick what they want and there’s all the episodes on there in order–there’s just one commerciL before each episode. Why can’t the nets start doing this?

• Angela says:

I do. I use the DVR if there’s two shows on at the same time I want to watch so I can record one of them, but otherwise, I still watch a lot of TV live. As does my mom-she’s not a fan of watching things online. It’s just force of habit for me and my family. And we don’t have Netflix or anything of that sort, so that takes out the streaming option for us.
      I do agree that as TV viewing habits change that needs to be more and more reflected in terms of ratings and viewers, but there’s still enough people out there who don’t have computers or other technological gadgets and whatnot watching live, so they’re still going to be factored in when it comes to how people watch TV and when they watch and all that sort of thing, too.
      Besides that, as someone else noted up above…this particular poll is just for fun. It’s not really meant to be taken all that seriously to begin with.

• Ben says:

Don’t kick a payphone when its down.

23. robinepowell says:

Well no conflicts for me. Watching The Flash and that’s it.

24. Guillermo says:

Entire churches have been rent asunder by one such person taking control from a leadership standpoint and ousting
    a pastor and other members who won’t toe the line and
    follow marching orders. There is nothing better
    to ease the pain of a break up than to pamper yourself with some
    useful stuff. As a matter of fat, Facebook is gettig mo than a billo f log-ins from diffrent
    parts of the globe.

25. JC1 says:

No dilemma for me. NCIS at 8:00 and Agents of SHIELD at 9:00.

26. northwoman says:

The only thing I have to watch live is Sons of Anarchy – everything else can wait and usually does.

27. webly3 says:

The only thing I’m really sure about watching is The Flash/Marry Me. All the shows I watch on Tuesdays are gone. I might just start watching The Mindy Project or at least try it out. Also, I might try Utopia as well.

28. GeoDiva says:

I will end dvr’ing SHIELD, Mindy Project and Person of Interest. Hardly watch anything live any more.

29. deangirl1 says:

Never thought I’d see the day when Supernatural wasn’t much watch tv. They ruined it so thoroughly in the last 5 seconds this year, that I don’t know if I’ll watch at all. And it’s like they want Forever to tank! Flash, AoS, Forever for me…

30. Faith Chmielewski says:

I hope Agents of SHIELD comes
    on at 9, but if not, I’ll just watch
    something else.

31. Ashley says:

I’ll watch “Selfie” live because I love Karen Gilliam and John Cho, and because it needs all the support it can get with the difficult time-slot and bad name.

• ComeOn! says:

I love Karen and John. I really like Suburgatory by Emily Kapnek even the extreme budget cut last season. But premises and trailer of Selfie is really not doing anything for me. May be a 3 episodes test.

32. Zorkel says:

NCIS, NCIS: New Orleans, The Flash, Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD, About a Boy

33. michelle says:

There was never any doubt what I’d be watch Tuesday night’s at ten soa all the way

34. Ally Oop says:

Tuesday is a dead night of TV for me. I’ll be watching Selfie, The Goldbergs (which remains on Tuesdays in Canada), and The Honourable Woman (a British drama which will air in Canada in the fall).

35. Aimee says:

Meh. The only show I care about is Person of Interest.

36. Fan says:

The Flash
    Supernatural

Agents of SHIELD can wait until later, no rush with that one.

37. Joe says:

Watching Shield waiting patiently for Justified.

38. Ram510 says:

If I would just stick to The Flash, Shield and PoI I’d be fine but I like to try all the new comedies and that when Tuesdays get tough. Hopefully they don’t all premiere on the same dates

39. A-C says:

I’ll watch NCIS and Supernatural live. Dvr Agents of Shield and New Girl. . I want to try Selfie so I’ll dvr that too. And I’ll dvr Chivago Fire even though I have nothing else at 10 cause I like to watch Agents of Shield on tuesdays.

40. Ram510 says:

How many weeks do we guess before Utopia get canceled. My guess is 3-4

41. Pia says:

Time to give in and upgrade to Roamio…

42. Misscar says:

My dilemma is if I’m lucky I will get home at 9:30 on Tuesday smack dab in the middle of Agents of Shield, which is still an improvement over last year. I don’t have DVR but I do have on-demand, which means I can watch the new episodes first thing the next day. By the end of last season I really was waking up at 5 AM to watch new episodes of AOS before I went to work. I’m trying to decide if I should watch the end of each episode when I get home and then watched the beginning in the morning, wait until the morning to watch the entire episode, or give even more money to my cable company for a DVR that I’ve probably will not use that much. I still haven’t decided yet.

43. Ashley Crawford says:

The Flash and Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.,I’m thinking Forever at 10/9

44. Aprilcot says:

There’s nothing on 8-9 that I’ll watch.
    9:00 – New Girl with SHIELD on the DVR
    9:30 – Mindy with SHIELD on the DVR and About A Boy on demand later in the week
    Nothing on at 10 either. My Tuesdays are going to miss Brooklyn 99.

45. Sheldon W. says:

8-9 – The Flash (record NCIS; Timshift Selfie & Manhattan Love Story)
    9-10 – SHIELD (record Supernatural; Timeshift NCIS: New Orleans)
    10-11 – Person of Interest (Record Forever – Great pilot!)

46. A-C says:

I wanted to try NCIS New Orleans, but unfortunately, with a limit of 4 shows at once, I simply can’t because I already take 3 and I have to leave one spot free for other people.

47. ABG. says:

I’m watching SHIELD, Flash, The Mindy Project and New Girl.

New Girl had a horrible season and SHIELD bores me so I might drop them.

48. Pat says:

Tuesday nights are CBS all the way, for me. I am still worried about NCIS LA being moved to Monday night.

49. Bwhit says:

This will be my biggest dilemma this fall. My two favorite shows, Chicago Fire and SOA are on at the same time! I think it’s better to record SOA so you can skip commercials and watch the whole thing without interruption.

50. Meg says:

The Flash looks awesome! Really heart the Mindy Project it really stepped it up Season 2. Wishing New Girl was still funny. Maybe they can turn that show around.