Fall TV Poll: Sunday — Storybrooke Vs. Brooklyn and Other DVR Dilemmas

TV Schedule 2014 SundayThe Fall TV season will be here before you know it, and with it comes tough, new viewing choices. And the time to get thinking about them is now.

RELATED Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled?

Throughout this coming week, TVLine will present you with the grids for each night’s fall line-up, including Big 5 fare and the likely cable competition. You then vote for what you plan to watch ”live” during each time slot.

(If you are irrevocably hung up on my use of the word “live,” I invite you to instead vote for your “Top Priority” in each time slot. Semantics problem solved!)
WTWsunday2014r1NOTES ABOUT THE SUNDAY GRID: This represents face-offs taking place for at least six weeks of the fall TV season; that’s why, for example, Masters of Sex (which finales in early October) is not included. Details on new shows (indicated in RED) can be found at these links: Madam Secretary, Mulaney

RELATED Complete Fall TV Grid: Your Guide to What’s on When, Versus What

Want scoop on fall shows? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. MattArmando says:

All of ABC LIVE on Sundays, because ABC needs the help & the ratings the MOST.

• d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

You have a Nielson box???

• Bryce says:

That’s a weird reason to watch, especially because you probably don’t have a Nielson box

• johnhelvete says:

Not the OP but Nielsen is supposed to include a wide range and diverse group of people. Theoretically what the OP is doing by watching ABC for ratings help could be exactly what one Nielsen viewer could actually be doing as well. Which is exactly why I dont understand viewers who dont want to watch a show until season 2 because of fear that they will become invested in a show that will get cancelled, and their rationale is that their viewing does not matter because they are not an actual Nielsen viewer. Actual Nielsen viewers are probably also waiting until season 2 as well, because again Nielsen viewers are supposed to represent actual viewers.

• S. says:

Amen. It’s absolutely ridiculous to hold out until you find out whether a show’s gonna get cancelled. If you do that and enough others follow suit (as many do these days) it’ll for sure get cancelled and you won’t get to enjoy it at all. Better to have loved a tv show and lost than to have never loved it at all. As for actual Nielsen viewers, I think many of them take it seriously as to whether they watch something or not. I’m not sure they sit out whole seasons waiting to see if it gets picked up because they know not tuning in now would actually hurt the show’s rating.

• Guest(real name still won't be revealed until i say it's time) says:

@S. How is people not watching a show until season 2 ridiculous?! It’s natural because why waste time watching a show that THEY know it’s gonna get cancelled. I’ve learned that lesson the hard way with The Tomorrow People. Have YOU watch a show that YOU got invested to but then months later got sent to the cancelation abyss before? If you have good for you but if you haven’t then(in Dr Eggman’s voice) SILENCE!

• Guest(real name still won't be revealed until i say it's time) says:

@johnhelvete Ever watch a show that YOU got invested to but then months later it got sent to the cancelation abyss? If you have good for you but if you haven’t then (in Dr Eggman’s voice) SILENCE! It’s natural that viewers want to wait because why waste time watching a show that THEY know it’s gonna get cancelled? That’s why i didn’t watch Beware The Batman(a animated tv show) because I KNEW it was going to the cancelation abyss!

2. tracyg36 says:

Sundays are easy for me because I don’t watch OUAT (fell off that wagon a while back and would need to catch up before getting back on) and TWD/TD is my go-to whenever it’s on.

• cmunney says:

Me too. I’m always amazed when I see that people lasted more than one season of OUAT. I’ll admit that the show is probably not aimed at me but, my wife who basically lives for anything fairytale related quit watching halfway through the first season. It was just too awful.

• Mary says:

The first season was the best season. About half way through the second is when it got bad. Now it’s more Once Upon a Lot of Plot Holes, dropped story threads, missed opportunities, out of character moments, and rushed stories.

• Ally Oop says:

I watched the first couple eps of Season 1 and it was good, just not good enough to keep with it. I tried to tune in to a couple eps this past season but it still didn’t gel enough with me. Too many shows on tv, not enough time to watch them.

• Ben says:

I thought the first season was pretty good. It was hard to stick with it through season 2, and he first half of season 3, but I felt like it got its mojo back at the back half of season 3.

For me, its a guilty pleasure in a sense. I don’t expect it to be great or make sense. I like it anyway.

• Alex says:

So if you don’t like a show, you can’t believe that someone else does? What a high opinion you have of yourself! Your tastes are the only ones that are any good, LMAO!

• Mary says:

Nobody said that.

• Alexa says:

Actually, the person to whom these replies are addressed did. ” I’m always amazed when I see that people lasted more than one season of OUAT.”
            Personally, I think Once is one of them most entertaining shows on television. It’s certainly different than just about anything else and a welcome relief from the glut of teenage angst and reality nonsense.

• Tara Freeman says:

I like it but it’s not “must-see” for me. I’m still in the second season – catching up via netflix

3. Is it just me or do people who watch football only watch their team? I only watch Niner games. Don’t really care about other teams, especially not the Texans or the Browns.

• Thilia says:

I would say a majority of people watch a team in particular the majority of the time. My husband does watch some football just to relax beyond his favorite team. Some people watch all the games for betting reasons…but the Super Bowl is pretty much the only game people watch for the sake of watch, regardless of who is playing.

• d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

I usually watch only the Bears games unless I have people then I’ll just leave sports on all day.

• Aprilcot says:

My husband has a handful of teams he truly likes to watch but he likes watching football no matter who is playing. We generally watch SNF because the isn’t a lot on Sundays that I care to watch. I will be watching B99 and giving Mulaney a shot…unless the Colts are playing. :)

• sanchopanza says:

I wonder if it’s possible that people (i.e. men) start watching beyond their own teams more as the season goes on, because they care about the competition’s chances against their teams.

• cmunney says:

That is a big reason. Another reason is to hate watch. I watch Cowboys games because I enjoy watching them fail. I also follow particular players. For instance, I don’t care for the Browns but if Johnny Football gets a chance to play I’ll watch to see how he does in the NFL. I watch Vikings games because my coworker is a Vikings fan and he will only watch Vikings games so it gives us something to BS about at work on Monday. If you like football, like I do, there are lots of reasons to watch games that don’t involve your team.

• April says:

Don’t forget about Fantasy football. My brother watches a bunch of different teams because he wants to see how all the players on his fantasy team are doing. I bet there are quite a few guys who do that.

• Francine says:

I don’t know, I love football and will watch any game. So I guess it just depends.

• Renee says:

I watch ALL of my teams games, but I watch the other teams if the game is on when I want to watch. IE Sunday night. I just love football.

• Robby Horine says:

If I watch a full game during the day (IE, Bears or Bengals), I’ll watch it throughout. If not, I’ll check in the game several times. But for SNF, I’ll watch at least for the first hour.

When later in the season, I’ll watch more games that have playoff implications.

• Tara Freeman says:

I watch all games. Sunday is football all day and I watch goodwife/mentalist/revenge/OUAT throughout the week, where I have gaps in my TV watching (usually Mondays/Fridays)

• Tahoe Mike says:

Thursday night, all day Sunday and Sunday night, and Monday night. If Football is on, I am watching. Sports MUST be watched live, everything else can be streamed later.
      ~
      I live on the west coast, so SNF comes on at 5:30 and is over by about 8:30. This means no conflict with Boardwalk Empire, or Masters of Sex.

• cycworker says:

I can only speak for myself. I am not a football fan, but I am a big NHL hockey fan in Canada. I think it’s a fair comparison.

I, personally do not care who’s playing… if there is an NHL game on, I pretty much want to watch it. A good friend of mine will only watch ‘our’ team. Just anecdotal research, but my sense is that about 60% or so are like my friend and the rest are like me.

4. Tran says:

Madam Secretary and Homeland are my watch list for Sundays. I’ll pass on Mulaney and nothing to watch for at 10 p.m. for me.

5. Balaji K says:

The second season of “Masters of Sex” airs in the Summer (premieres July 13) and will not air in the fall.

6. bobbi6484 says:

You need an option in each time slot that says “None of the above.” I’m not going to be watching anything in the 8:00 hour unless there is something else offered that is not on this list.

• cycworker says:

Agreed! I, for example, have nothing to watch at 10pm on Sundays. I tend to watch the early addition of Canada`s version of ESPN so I can go to bed a bit earlier.

7. Name That Tune says:

Everything on Sunday can be put on the DVR for viewing at a later time except Sunday Night Football – which is best served up live.

Used to feel like OUAT was must see TV, but they lost me with the Hook-Emma storyline. Blecch.

8. JC1 says:

OUAT is the only Sunday-scheduled show I watch right now. Otherwise, Sunday is catch up on TV backlog time.

9. David says:

I’ll probably end up going ahead and getting Fios Quantum this fall so I can record more than two shows at once.

10. LH86 says:

Sunday Night Football is must-see TV in my house, and I am a 28 year old woman! It’s not only men who watch, as sanchopanza seems to think, and I watch regardless of the teams scheduled, simply because I love football. Go Pack Go!

11. Brandy says:

OUAT

12. SJ says:

The Good Wife and Revenge are definite must-sees and I’m glad to see them winning the poll in their respective time slots! :) Other than that, Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I don’t watch any of the Sunday cable dramas. While we’re on the subject, why do cable nets insist on scheduling 90% of their original content on Sundays? What about Mon-Thu? Sundays are crowded as it is…

13. Guest says:

I reckon The Walking Dead will always be a “watching live” choice for me, since I need something lighter to balance it out “The Simpsons and Brooklyn Nine will get the live spot where Once Upon a Time and Resurrection get the DVR

14. b says:

Put me down for *other*. I will be watching PBS Masterpiece.

15. webly3 says:

Mine will be so crammed! I plan to watch OUaT then TWD and DVR Homeland. Then, I watch Homeland at 10. And, I will have to DVR Family Guy/Brooklyn Nine-Nine along with Resurrection/Revenge. D:

16. Ashley says:

I’ll watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine live and DVR Madame Secretary, but if the latter turns out to be really good, I may have to watch Madame Secretary live and save Brooklyn Nine-Nine for 9PM.

17. Ally Oop says:

Sundays are not so busy tv nights for me. Three shows for me:
    7pm Heartland (Canadian show)
    9pm Outlander (airs Sundays, starting Aug.24 in Canada)
    10pm Revenge

18. wrstlgirl says:

This grid doesn’t fit my timezone so none of the cable shows conflict with the network shows in my area., no conflicts for me on Sunday at all.

19. MK204 says:

All I can say is, if you haven’t watched Resurrection, you’re missing a great show.

20. King says:

The Good Wife at first place? Please. It’s going to be in last place come the real ratings on fall.

21. taahimar says:

I will miss The Mentalist on Sundays . Any word what spot it’s going to be on? ♣♣

22. Tricia says:

Ugh, I want so much to watch Brooklyn Nine- Nine and Mulaney live but I have zero interest in Family Guy. What am I supposed to do? Turn off the tv? That’s not something I do.

• Ram510 says:

I will usually find a repeat of something to watch or watch something from my DVR during that time, since I too can not stand Family Guy anymore. Seth has ruined the show

23. April says:

The only thing I watch live is football. Everything else goes on the DVR. But I am interested in Madam Secretary and will definitely not miss The Walking Dead.

24. Ally Oop says:

For the record, I never ever watch shows live. Many shows I let collect for a while until I can binge-watch, some shows I wait until thebut one to Netflix, but there are some shows I watch same day, sometimes with only a half-hour delay so I can rewind a scene if I want to see it again. This past year, the shows I watched same day were Orphan Black, Revolution, Parenthood, Nashville, The 100, Reign, The Originals and Grey’s Anatomy. The reason I like watching those shows same day is so I can come online and discuss them.

25. Spitey Spice says:

Still disappointed The Amazing Race isn’t on Sundays anymore. Madam Secretary looks pretty meh (which is too bad because I love Tea Leoni). And it’s not a show I’d watch with my 9 year old. :(

• Robby Horine says:

Remember all Madam Secretary is going to be is a 60 minute weekly advert for Hilary Clinton. CBS won’t drop it even if it’s dead last (which against SNF, is a real possiblity).

26. Brenna says:

Once Upon A Time all the way!!

27. cycworker says:

My only real quandry here will be at 8:30 when Brooklyn Nine Nine is up against Madame Secretary, as I can`t tape both shows.

• Nick says:

Switch to DISH and use primtetime anytime. It’s fantastic (it records all primetime shows on the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox) using one channel, and you have two others free). So I’ll be able to record The Walking Dead, Resurrection and Mulaney all at once, but since Resurrection and Mulaney are network shows, I still have a slot free if I need it.

28. Pat says:

No competition for me as far as the 8pm timeslot on Sunday nights. It will be “Once Upon a Time”. I am a little concerned with CSI being on at 10PM. Heck, I am concerned with it being on Sunday night. This could be a bad move for CBS.

29. Kissan says:

ABC ALL NIGHT LONG!!!!!!

30. JB Smooove says:

this is kind of hard for me (thats what she said) as living on the west coast i dont have the NFL conflict at night. my votes will be skewed

31. Ram510 says:

This sucks. Everything I’m most interested in is on at 8. This is going to be tough. And does anybody else miss Desperate Housewives? Sundays aren’t the same

32. Jacqi says:

Csi on sunday? Weird

33. herman1959 says:

I just realized I voted yesterday, but didn’t give details: watch Brooklyn 99 live and record Resurrection. Wow, the completion for viewers on Sunday is murder!

34. Nick says:

The PrimeTime Anytime function on my Dish DVR will never be more handy, since I need to record Resurrection, Brooklyn 9-9 and hopefully Mulaney, while spending my live viewership on OUAT and TWD.

• Nick says:

Although this is the last chance for OUAT to show me it still has something to offer. Season 3 was a tad stale for me, and now that they’re doing Frozen, I’m not sure how much more I can take.

35. Kissan says:

ABC all night long with OUAT, Resurrection and Revenge! Not trying Madam Secretary or Mulaney. I’m trying to catch up with Walking Dead on Netflix.

36. Ashley Crawford says:

ABC all night,Once Upon A time,Resurrection and Revenge.

37. André Lima says:

8.00 – 8.30: The Simpsons (FOX) LIVE
    8.30 – 9.00: Brooklyn Nine-Nine (FOX) LIVE
    9.00 – 10.00: The Good Wife (CBS) LIVE DVR – Homeland (SHOWTIME)
    10.00 – 11.00: Revenge (ABC) LIVE

38. drhenning says:

My DVR and On Demand get a workout on Sundays….. I usually stream the football on my computer since it’s available with multiple cameras online and is actually better than the one feed..

39. Deanna Zanaglia says:

There is no write in option for Sunday. I’d write in Masterpiece Mystery or Masterpiece Theater on one of the PBS channels.