Emmys

Daytime Emmys: Y&R Dominates Soap Pack; AMC and OLTL Get 3 Wins Each

Daytime Emmys Winners 2014

The 41st annual Daytime Emmy Awards were held Sunday at the Beverly Hills Hilton, hosted by expletive-happy comedienne Kathy Griffin and streamed online at DaytimeEmmys.net, home of the most dreadful pre-show ever.

CBS’ The Young and the Restless came away as this year’s big winner, grabbing gold five times at Sunday night’s main gala, including for Outstanding Drama and for Lead Actor. Sister sudser The Bold and the Beautiful was shut out at the big show, but had scored four statuettes at Friday night’s Creative Arts awards ceremony (see winners list).

NBC’s Days of Our Lives‘ was Sunday’s other MVP, topping three major categories. The defunct All My Children and One Life to Live netted three Emmys each, in creative arts categories, for their brief online revivals.

Here are the night’s major winners. Check ‘em out, then hit Comments with your yeas and nays. (Our sister site Deadline covered some of the other categories.)

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES
The Bold and the Beautiful
Days of Our Lives
One Life to Live
WINNER — The Young and the Restless

LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
WINNER — Eileen Davidson (Kristen, Days)
Katherine Kelly Lang (Brooke, B&B)
Heather Tom (Katie, B&B)
Arianne Zucker (Nicole, Days)

LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Peter Bergman (Jack, Y&R)
Doug Davidson (Paul, Y&R)
Christian LeBlanc (Michael, Y&R)
WINNER — Billy Miller (ex-Billy, Y&R)
Jason Thompson (Patrick, General Hospital)

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Melissa Claire Egan (Chelsea, Y&R)
Jane Elliot (Tracy, GH)
WINNER — Amelia Heinle (Victoria, Y&R)
Elizabeth Hendrickson (ex?-Chloe, Y&R)
Kelly Sullivan (Connie, GH)

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Bradford Anderson (Damien, GH)
Steve Burton (Dylan, Y&R)
Scott Clifton (Liam, B&B)
WINNER — Eric Martsolf (Brady, Days)
Dominic Zamprogna (Dante, GH)

YOUNGER ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Kristen Alderson (Kiki, GH)
Linsey Godfrey (Caroline, B&B)
WINNER — Hunter King (Summer, Y&R)
Kim Matula (Hope, B&B)
Kelley Missal (Danielle, OLTL)

YOUNGER ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Bryan Craig (Morgan, GH)
Chad Duell (Michael, GH)
Max Ehrich (Fenmore, Y&R)
WINNER — Chandler Massey (ex-Will, Days)
Daniel Polo (Jamie, Y&R)

OUTSTANDING TALK SHOW/ENTERTAINMENT
WINNER — The Ellen DeGeneres Show
Live! With Kelly & Michael
Rachael Ray
The Talk
The View

OUTSTANDING TALK SHOW HOST(S)
WINNER (tie) — Dr. Mehmet Oz

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW HOST
Wayne Brady, Let’s Make a Deal
Jeff Foxworthy, The American Bible Challenge
WINNER — Steve Harvey, Family Feud
Todd Newton, Family Game Night

1. wasabi says:

What was the big rush to end the show during JFP’s speech? Was the Internet about to close for the evening? Did the producers have to return the TV cameras to the rental company before the hour was up?

2. Mary says:

Of course Y&R got a lot of Emmys. They killed a good portion of the competition from the networks. Y&Rs only competition any more is B&B, GH, and Days since the networks canned ATWT, GL, AMC, and OLTL.

3. Susie Sullivan says:

Who won the food awards?

4. J says:

Really, Matt? Days wins 3 actor awards and deserved to win Best Drama – and the show doesn’t make it in the title of the article. Instead, you mention AMC? Outside of One Life’s win for directing, Days won every award that Y&R didn’t!

5. Mick says:

I am kind of surprised Kelly Missal didn’t win. She was fantastic on OLTL.

6. Eric7740 says:

So excited for Eileen, Eric, and Amelia much deserved accolades for their outstanding portrayals this past year!!!

7. Jamie says:

Jason Thompson was robbed!! Did they not see the robins alive storyline????

• Ruth says:

as far as I’m concerned Jason Thompson aced the acting in the Robin’s alive storyline- amazing <3

• Mary says:

You should of known it was not going to be him. Politics only Y&R or Days have talent so it seems from the last few years of the emmy. That is why I don’t waste my time watching. Looking at the list I was right.

• Eric7740 says:

Jason Thompson just submitted the wrong reel. If he had submitted a reel for when Robin turned up alive at his and Sabrina’s wedding, the Emmy would have been his! He truly delivered his best work during those shows!

8. Jacqi says:

When is jason thompson gonna get his emmy? Seriously sooo over y&r

• SMcMary says:

Agree on Jason Thompson. Although, I think I read he had submitted the scenes where he broke it off with Sabrina as his Emmy reel. He should have submitted the scenes in the church when he first saw Robin because they were excellent. As for the rest: when every critic/blogger says what a horror show the Red Carpet was, you tend to steer clear. Seriously. what an insult to daytime tv.

9. J says:

Very excited for Eileen and Eric! Both deserved these awards after delivering stellar performances over the last year as Kristen and Brady! I’m so excited to have Eileen back in the weeks ahead – and to know her new Y&R contract allows freedom to shoot episodes of Days as well.

Most of all, tonight for me was all about Chandler. What an incredible accomplishment! He is now one of only 3 actors to ever take home 3 consecutive Emmy awards. While I am enjoying Guy’s portrayal of Will Horton, there is no replacing Chandler. He is an incredible actor and fully deserving of his win tonight! So proud of him – and I’m so thankful for the groundbreaking coming out and WilSon love stories he brought to life.

10. Bri says:

Once again, Jason Thompson is robbed of a Best Actor Emmy. That guy deserves a win, his talent is amazing.

11. abby says:

I really wanted Jane Elliott to win because she’s fantastic and doesn’t normally submit. Outside of that I wasn’t really bothered.

12. Tran says:

Good thing Jeopardy! won Outstanding Game Show over The Price is Right, Let’s Make a Deal and the rest of its nominees. Mike Richards is the most overrated producer I’ve ever seen and he’s the man who can’t fix things right or rebuild his own shows.

13. lululime says:

I’m happy that DAYS continued to build off its surprising win last year and nab even more this year. I like Chandler, but I thought it should’ve been Freddie Smith’s year. Just like I would switch out Eric Martsolf (still great), with Blake Berris or Greg Vaughan. But yeah, the voters really seem to love Chandler, just like they love Jonathan Jackson and Billy Miller.

14. Sarah says:

Shut the front door…Katie Couric, and her show, were both terrible! How could anyone seriously give her an Emmy? She was cancelled!!!

• Ron says:

My issue is mainly with Dr. Oz winning; he’s such a hack, & the fact that he won gives him more fuel to preach hack crap.

15. mollytanner says:

Elsewhere I read that it looks like there’s a Sony/CBS voting block, which includes Days, YR, and BB. That could be an uphill battle for GH winning Emmys in the near future. But it was cool to see 3 different soap opera tables giving a standing o for Eileen.

16. Bob Smith says:

B&B shut out! Can we give CBS another hint that the show stinks???

17. Rlehr says:

Bring back one life to live

18. dj says:

What?? No GH??? This has been an awesome year on General Hospital. Disappointed.

• Ava says:

Agreed. GH got the short end of the stick. Jane Elliott was awesome and deserved the win. Bryan Craig also gave an incredible performance. The fact that GH was shut out of Best Daytime Drama was a sin.

19. Bev says:

The show could have done without all the foul language.

20. Kim R says:

Admittedly I only watch GMA and then later on, The Chew but I was soooooo hoping The Chew would get an Emmy. It is such a great show and really has a little bit of everything. Talk, celebrity guests, great camaraderie between the hosts and fantastic cooking! :)

21. Nicole says:

Once again for Y&R, what a surprise. I have sometimes tried to watch if I’m home sick and have to change the channel after 5 minutes because it was so bad (and I watched Passions which had terrible acting so that’s saying something). I know everyone has different opinions but I for one hope for a Y&R free Daytime Emmys next year.

22. Carol Davis says:

my favorites are one life to live and all my children ,they took them off to put in another cooking show , Katie should be on prime time. To show how lame daytime tv is now they don’t even televise the awards anymore.

23. helpsaveoursoaps says:

“The defunct All My Children and One Life to Live netted three Emmys each, in creative arts categories, for their brief online revivals.” OLTL also won for Best Directing last night.

24. Mary says:

I forgot they were on but to tell you the truth I wouldn’t have watched. The last couple of years it is the Young & Restless award show so why bother wasting my time. Who nominates these shows and actors???? Considering only three daytime dramas are on how can GH not receive a nomination?? I used to love watching the daytime emmy but the last few years have been bad why don’t they just ship them the award since it seems like they don’t even want to bother.

25. Amy Cooper says:

That was the most disgusting preshow ever. There was constant talk about boobies and those hosts had no clue who they were interviewing, even asssuming costars who are married to other people are dating each other! I have been watching soaps for 30 years and this show was disgraceful to an amazingly hard-working industry.

26. trixie1 says:

GH deserved not to win anything. too many characters, bizarre story lines and people. all pieced together. no major plots about people just bizarre nuts.noone wants to watch. what happened. take a cue from y@r and b@b.

27. Toast says: