Exclusive

SYTYCD Preview: Ballroom 'Dabbler' Boards Hot Tamale Train

You can’t just take a couple of ballroom classes and expect to impress So You Think You Can Dance judge Mary Murphy.

RELATED | American Idol Offering $50,000 to Season 14 Champ’s ‘True Believer’

Yet in this clip from tomorrow’s episode (8/7c on Fox), Atlanta auditoner Ricky Ubeda tries to do exactly that — after helping La Murphy, along with Nigel Lythgoe and guest panelist Jenna Dewan-Tatum, understand the definition of “dabbling.”

RELATED | American Idol: 6 Most-Appreciated Improvements — and 6 Biggest Missteps — of the Season 13 Reboot

(Of course, just because a fella chats about ballroom doesn’t mean he can’t “dabble” in contemporary once he takes the stage.)

Press PLAY to watch the full audition, then hit the comments with your thoughts. And for all my summer reality TV recaps, news, interviews and exclusives, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. wordsmith says:

Yeah, he’s totally going to be Top 20. Not even a question.

2. cassabdra says:

sickled feet. gross.

• BrazenSongBird says:

I don’t think it’s a bad habit in his case. I think he’s doing it for effect. When it counts, his feet are fine.

3. Daniel says:

Go Ricky! Been a fan since his “Slide” video went viral.

• Tjj50 says:

Thanks for mentioning the “Slide” video. Just watched it! Really enjoyed it. He’s got a lot of charisma that will carry him well.

4. I’m not impressed. I haven’t been impressed with a lot of the dancers. While I think they are all very talented dancers with clean technique, they aren’t interesting to watch anymore. How many more contemporary dancers doing the same basic things can we watch before we say, enough, I’m bored? I don’t pay attention to the dancer’s back story, who lost a dad, or mom or got over cancer, I don’t care about that. I want to be glued to the screen when watching someone dance and he didn’t keep my attention. Every time he went to do an extension or leap he did it with the right leg, does his left one not work? Where is the balance? I expect people to be upset with me and that’s ok. I have the right to feel the way I do.

• Alex says:

Just stop watching if you are so unhappy.

• Nancy says:

I find contemporary dancing for this phase in the competition gets these kids through to the next round faster. Also most have a preference for one leg over the other. I’m not a dancer, just my opinion after watching this program since the beginning.

• Actually he lead at least once with his left leg when he was moving from our right to our left about 2/3 of the way through. I get where you are coming from with all the contemporary however. I am hoping that they will include more than one or two ballroom competitors ths season. The have been a number of them that I would love to see more of during the show.

• Em says:

Keep watching..,he will definitely glue you to your TV set.

• Emma says:

Please go look up Ricky on youtube……

5. jacks1186 says:

Way to go Ricky I have always known that dancing would take you places love you lots keep on dancing

6. Ayy, go Ricky!! I had the honor of dancing with this guy in high school for a show once, it was awesome!

This kid is fantastic, friendly, and is going places!

7. Willy says:

Mary Murphy is a vile, disgusting woman who annoys the hell outa me. She and creepy old man Nigel have ruined a once great show. The dancers are phenomenal but the judges are horrible.

• wordsmith says:

Overly prone to bad puns, screaming loudly and shedding tears at the drop of a hat, maybe, but vile and disgusting? How do you figure?
      Nigel is totally a creepy old man, though. Also far too prone to name-dropping and “hip” pop culture references.

• mattielisbon says:

Whoa, seriously? I’m not seeing that. Who cares anyway, I’m there to see the dancers.

8. Hot Dumb Italian Mike! says:

‘Thank you Mike Slezack for best term in years…”Hot Tamale Train”!

9. Max says:

This guy went to my high school. Holy cow man! All the way!

10. Olga ochoa says:

Ricky is amazing he is my favorite

11. Tracey says:

Beyond fantastic!

12. I agree, he is a fantastic dancer and I wish him much success. Unfortunately, I won’t be watching “SYTYCD” this season or at least until they get rid of justin bieber! Quite frankly, I find his latest racist acts repulsive and a detriment to the purpose of what the show is all about! Sorry, I absolutely LOVE the show, I just cannot stand him. Good luck to all who make it through this season, I wish you well. Peace… until next season.

13. Mintee says:

to all the negative stuff.. “no ones twisting your arm to force you to watch”.. .I love the show.

14. Gabi says:

go ricky!!! i went to school with him, he’s such an amazing dancer and kind person

15. Amazing! Definitely one of my top picks already. So excited to see him on the show.