Casey Kasem, Radio Legend and Scooby-Doo Voice Actor, Dead at 82

2642198CA503_radio

American Top 40 icon Casey Kasem, who carved out a lucrative side career providing the voice of Shaggy in the Scooby-Doo franchise, died early Sunday after a long battle with Parkinson’s disease. He was 82.

Kasem’s daughter, Kerri, shared the news on Twitter. “Early this Father’s Day morning, our dad Casey Kasem passed away surrounded by family and friends,” she wrote. “Even though we know he is in a better place and no longer suffering, we are heartbroken. Thank you for all your love, support and prayers. The world will miss Casey Kasem, an incredible talent and humanitarian; we will miss our Dad.”

Kasem became a radio legend as host of the syndicated American Top 40, a gig he held down for 24 years (from 1970-88 and 1998-2004).

In addition to voicing Shaggy in Scooby-Doo‘s various TV incarnations, Kasem’s distinctive voice could be heard on Sesame Street as well as a number of commercials.

1. Fairy May says:

It’s amazing how people we’ve never met that have nothing to do with us can impact us. Shaggy isn’t real. But the presence of Kasey’s voice to Shaggy’s character has been lifelong since my childhood, and so I feel an affection for that that I’ll now miss. Plus, no one over the age of 30 can hear his voice and not think of his Top 40. I’m so sorry to Kerri, Mike, Julie, and Liberty Kasem, as well as his entire family for this loss, and on Father’s Day no less.

2. RockGolf says:

Casey has finally reached the stars.

And now, on with the countdown.

3. shielaab7956 says:

My heartfelt condolences to the Kasem family. I grew up listening to Casey on the radio and looked forward to his countdown program!! Rest in Peace…

4. GhostWolf says:

Sad news. While he was not prominent in the foreground, his voice was one of the most distinctive in both radio and animation. I remember listening on the radio to his show (I believe he also had a syndicated TV show on Saturdays that focused on the top 10 of the week) and there were so many cartoons he was attached to (not just Scooby Doo). He’ll be missed.

5. Ed says:

Keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars.

6. steven says:

Zoinks, Like, rest in peace. You’re with Don Messick now.

7. Diz says:

What a great voice. RIP

8. Tran says:

He’ll always be the voice of Shaggy from Scooby-Doo forever. RIP Casey Kasem :-(

9. Robert says:

I hope the family can heal after the battle, they had fighting over what was best to do in his last days. I am heart broken over his passing, I like so many have wonderful childhood memories of his voice as Shaggy in many of the Scooby Doo incarnation. I also, like many had a connection to him in my teens to my adulthood years with the top 40 radio show.Casey will truly be missed but his love for what he did to bring joy and laughter, will live on forever.

10. Garry says:

After the turmoil this poor soul went through in the end, I hope that they can live with the end result.

11. Pat says:

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. I hope for his children’s that they will be able to heal from the passing of their father and the time that was lost for them to see him. I will always remember Casey Kasem from the ’60s and the ’70s and a radio legend he certainly was. May He Finally, Rest In Peace!

12. Cordell says:

He will always be the autobot Cliff Jumper to me. May your spark rest in peace brother.

13. Judith says:

I listened to Casey Kasem every Sunday morning for the Top 40 countdown for as long as I can remember. I never knew he played Shaggy’s voice but it doesn’t surprise me as he loved children very much. I don’t know what the family dynamics were at the end of his life but now that he is gone he can finally rest in peace and the family can stop fighting over something so stupid. The only thing that was important in the whole thing was Casey and now that he is gone the family can fight to their hearts content. The only thing that was important to me is the love that Casey shared with his fans. It;s just a shame that at the end of his life his family found that fighting was more important than all the accomplishments and accolades the man was known for in his life. RIP Casey Kasem. You will be missed.

14. Joey Padron says:

Sad to hear about his passing. Thoughts and prayers are with his family.