Matt Lauer Extends Today Contract — But For How Long?

Lauer

Matt Lauer will be spending many more Todays at NBC.

The network’s embattled AM leading man has extended his contract with the morning show for several more years, the New York Times reports. (According to sources, his new deal is for three years.)

The news comes after the once-mighty Lauer weathered a rough couple of years at Today, during which he presided over the rocky departure of former co-anchor Ann Curry and saw his show cede its ratings crown to Good Morning America.

“I consider this the best job in broadcasting,” Lauer said in a statement. “I love people I work with every day and I have such respect and gratitude for the people I work for. I couldn’t be happier to be staying.”

Terms of Lauer’s new pact were not disclosed, but his previous annual salary was in the neighborhood of $25 million a year.

1. dj says:

sorry to hear that

2. Maria says:

Best news I got all day! I love Matty.

3. Babybop says:

Good. I’m too afraid that when he leaves, they’re going to put Carson in his seat…

4. neet says:

Too bad! I can’t stand this pompous and smug jerk.

5. CeeCee says:

NBC — how stupid are you. Everyone hates this guy, why did you offer up another contract. No worries for me, I stopped watching the Today show, as well as most of your other shows, a long time ago!

6. My2cents says:

Ugh I can’t stand that guy!! Rumor has it Josh Elliott will be there when his non-compete is over. Last year’s GMA was the best!!! I miss Josh & Sam!!!!

7. RichnBlessings says:

still boycotting NBC for their treatment of Ann Curry

8. I’m thrilled. GET OVER YOURSELVES. The stuff you get upset about has nothing to do with show and he does his job.

9. Lynn says:

Detest him because of the Ann Curry debacle. Seeing him turns my stomach.

10. Ellen says:

Well that says that. I am surprised he decided to stay on. I thought for sure he was ready to be done. In as much as I am not happy with what happened with Ann Curry being forced off the Today Show, I can think of worse. I can be at ease knowing that that creepy self centered jerk Josh Elliott will not be taking over for Matt Lauer any time soon. The rumors having been floating heavily since Josh left GMA that he would replace Matt. Finally all put to rest. Maybe Matt got real scared that Josh would take over for him so he decided to renew his contract. Hmmmmm.

11. joan fugate says:

sorry to hear that too! no one is worth that much money a year sports players included

12. Nelly says:

Sorry to hear he will be staying and for that price!!! He is so self centered and feels he is MR. GOD. Women beware, if he has a dislike, he will get rid of you like he did Anne Curry.

13. Mary Easto says:

sorry to hear that – I now listen to Good Morning America with Robin Roberts and crew

14. Janice Longwell says:

Great – Matt is wonderful and always has been. He can stay with “Today” forever for all I care, but must admit I like Willy Geist a lot and am hoping he is being groomed to be Matt’s replacement when that time does come.

15. crap, I can’t stand his smugness, and he has been trying to hard to stay…I quit watching it after the crap he pulled on Ann…I only see him in the commercial promos and he is always smiling and reaching, Be the person you always were smug and thought you new it all..

16. I like Matt he is my favorite besides AL. If he left I wouldn’t watch the Today show it would never be the same

17. Could care less how much they pay him. I quit watching after he stabbed Ann Curry in the back. I hope the ratings continue to fall.

18. jean smith says:

worse decision they have made

19. Ruth says:

What a shame….He is really pompous. I am sorry he is staying. I loved Ann Curry much better then all that are on the show…..

20. GEORGE says:

I would not watch MAT ON A BET. THE REAL NEWS STATION AND PROFESSIONALS ARE AT CBS. THE DONT SIT AROUND AND GIGGLE AND TALK OVER THE TOP OF ONE ANOTHER.

21. Patricia Rehberg says:

Really sorry to hear that. Hate the way they treated Ann Curry. Also miss the segments they used to have. The weddings on the plaza, the adoptable dogs, etc. Too much nonsense going on mow.

22. Gail Adams Wilson says:

Why? Matt needs to go, why not ship him off to Fox News! Yea, send him there!

23. Wonderful! I Love waking up to Matt–he’s the man of my house! (Kidding) Really–no one does an interview like Matt. All of the people on Today actually make my day!

24. val says:

Once again NBC screws up!!!! Really!!! You give this jerk Matt Lauer an extended contract!!! What a waste of money!!! He personal has reigned the show along with all the other bimbos that are on the show from the weather to the stories.

25. Guess he is considered one of the top 1 percent that they are so againt . Haven’t watched Today since they fired Ann Cury and kept him. From what I can see I haven’t missed much. Went from an avid NBC fan to now only watching the Macy’s Parade sorry. Not interested in changing back till they fire Matt.

26. annie snow says:

So disappointed the whole show needs to be scraped and start fresh again, not much of a show, no news when the world implodes, the show talks of cupcakes…….

27. Chris says:

If he was paid a dollar a year it would be too much

28. T. says:

he handled the Curry attacks well – nice guy. Savannah/Matt make great team.
    Curry great reporter, nice lady but not a good host on for any show or co-host. Boring.

29. Darrell Miller says:

Well since their ratings are so stellar, why not keep beating that dead horse. Maybe they are looking for a first round draft pick?

30. NBC wake up and smell the roses. Lauer is over the hill. thats why i quit watch the TO DAY
    show. He is boring and not worth 25 milllon.

31. Mary Reid says:

I didn’t know that GMA was rated that high. People in the South do not watch GMA.

32. K Williams says:

Matt Lauer is a self-centered, egotistical nobody. WHY would NBC give him another contract, along with the astronomical salary. It was not only Ann Curry that he managed to get off the show, but now he has Samantha who is acting as foolish as he does. If it were not for Brian Williams and the evening news, I would not even turn on NBC. When are they going to wake up!

33. Connie Harper says:

Sorry to hear that. I stopped watching when u let Ann Curry go. This whole newscast need a shake-up

34. minecraft says:

Hi colleagues, how is the whole thing, and what you desire to say on the topic of this paragraph, in my
    view its actually remarkable for me.

35. K Williams says:

No one is worth that kind of money – especially Matt Lauer. His obnoxious, pompous ways are enough to switch morning programs!

36. Theresa says:

I don’t miss Matt one bit. I’m sure the ratings have skyrocketed since he’s not there is much.