Emmys

Emmys 2014: Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series -- Our 6 Dream Nominees!

Bellamy Young, Scandal

True story: Young was not a series regular until Season 2! Yet now it's impossible to imagine this Shondaland shock machine without Mellie deeply immersed in the mix. This past season saw FLOTUS juggle her want to see Fitz reelected with accepting the necessary evil that would be Olivia's "hands-on" role in such a coup. But it was the baring of a more personal pain -- the revelation that Mellie had been raped by her father-in-law, and then concealed it "for the greater good" -- where Young wowed us like never before. Whether drunk with power, on illicit love, or from old-school moonshine, Young portrays a steel magnolia with real mettle.

A powerhouse attorney, a country diva and a First Lady. A disgraced doctor, a spy and a car-wash operator (among other things). These are the characters who comprise our Dream Emmy Nominees list in the Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series category.

Lead Actor in a Comedy | Lead Actress in a Comedy | Supporting Actor in a Comedy | Supporting Actress in a Comedy | Outstanding Drama | Lead Actor in a Drama | Lead Actress in a Drama | Supporting Actor in a Drama

You can probably guess at least a few of the actresses for whom we’re advocating based on character description alone. But it’s worth pointing out that only two of the six women who got Emmy nods last year make our 2014 fantasy ballot.

So, click through our gallery (via the blue button underneath the accompanying Scandal photo or THIS LINK) to see if your dream nominees match up with ours, and then hit the comments to tell us where we got it right, which ones we got wrong and what shows you think we snubbed egregiously.

1. Eric7740 says:

Bellamy Young!!!

2. csr says:

Maggie Siff

• abz says:

It’s such a shame that she probably won’t be nominated. So many people from SOA deserve recognition and have never gotten it. Maggie Siff was superb this past season and she really deserves it. I hope she gets it.

• The Beach says:

There are so many worthy performances from shows like SOA and Justified but the Academy doesn’t seem to want to recognize them unless they’re Washington politicians, rich lawyers or country music stars. Worthy fringe shows and genres get overlooked time after time.

• abz says:

Agreed. Katey Sagal, Maggie Siff, and Charlie Hunnam have had amazing performances on the show over the years, but I don’t recall any Emmy nominations for them. The same fear I have goes for Tatiana Maslany. They’re probably once again going to give a nod to someone like Claire Danes after a lackluster season of Homeland and not even acknowledge Tatiana’s talent.
          I’m so sick of seeing the same nominations over and over. The Critics TV Choice Awards had a pretty great nominations roster but the Emmy’s will probably stick to the same boring routine. If I see Mad Men and Modern Family hogging all the nominations again this year I’m gonna be pissed. These Emmy people need to broaden their TV viewing and realize that there are many shows out there with excellent acting as well that are also deserving of recognition.

• kim says:

I agree 100%. Maggie’s performance over the last two or three seasons has been incredible but season 6 she really delivered. She was strong, yet vulnerable. That scene in the park with Jax in the finale was amazing.

3. zac says:

My 6 dream picks:
    – Hayden Panettiere (Nashville) seriously deserves it
    -Joanna Froggatt (Downton Abbey) how she handled Anna’s storyline this season
    -Sandra Oh (Grey’s Anatomy) at least for old times sake and it’s freaking Sandra Oh
    -Claire Holt (The Originals) a VERY long shot
    -Gwendoline Christy (Game of Thrones) if they’re submitting from season 3
    -Danai Gurira (The Walking Dead) Michonne’s flashbacks and just the depth of her acting

Well, i dont really watch a lot of shows but they were the ones who impressed me

• Dude says:

Ugh, Claire Holt would be a dream! What a remarkably talented actress. Too bad for status as a “CW actor” will likely prohibit anyone with sway to look at her submission never mind consider her but it’s nice to dream…at least Hayden Panettiere has a shot. Man that girl deserves so many awards.

4. dax says:

Bellamy Young deserves this! but so does Sandra Oh.. she is a consistently good actress but she was on fire during her last episodes on Grey’s! give her a break, Emmy!

5. Crystal @MamaMinx says:

I’m really disappointed that Melissa McBride isn’t on your list. Her performance in The Grove alone should merit a spot. She was in less than half of the episodes this season but each of her scenes showed how amazing she is. To quote your article when she was named Perfomer of the Week, it was a “master class in the merits of restraint.”

• Mik says:

I would love to see McBride get a nomination, but as you said she only appeared in a total of 7 episodes in season 4. If she submitted for Guest Star she would have a fair chance, but I don’t think she can be considered that anymore.

• Crystal @MamaMinx says:

She is a full cast member and there were plenty of scenes to submit. How many eps she was in has nothing to do with if she should or should not be nominated. It didn’t stop her from being nominated for a Critics Choice Award or for AMC to launch an their “Something Human” campaign with one of the posters/billboards featuring her alone. I know I’m probably setting myself up for disappointment but I’m really holding out hope for her to get this recognition.

6. Lia says:

Maggie Siff, deserves and award and probably hazard pay. SOA is nothing short of absurd, Siff ‘s performance was head and shoulders the best, it was a joy to watch her, she turned bad writing into acting gold. Too bad the show killed off it’s best actor, serious mistake.

7. Mai says:

Can i say that after her incredible final ar on Person of Interest, I believe Taraji P. Henson should get a nominatio? POI has no love from de Emmy’s =(

• An Irrelevant says:

Amen! Taraji was awesome, especially in her last 3 ep arc. If the Emmy’s have no love for POI, then it shows how clueless the Emmy’s res really are.

8. Ron says:

My 6 dream nominees:
    – Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad)
    – Maggie Siff (Sons of Anarchy)
    – Lena Headey (Game of Thrones)
    – Christine Baranski (The Good Wife)
    – Maggie Smith (Downton Abbey)
    – Abigail Spencer (Rectify)

The 6 I think will be nominated:
    – Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad)
    – Maggie Smith (Downton Abbey)
    – Christine Baranski (The Good Wife)
    – Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones)
    – Christina Hendricks (Mad Men)
    – Lena Headey (Game of Thrones)

This category is way too difficult to pick. Some others I think are worth include:
    – Maisie Williams (Game of Thrones)
    – Jennifer Carpenter (Dexter)
    – Annabeth Gish (The Bridge)
    – Joanne Froggatt (Downton Abbey)
    – Bellamy Young (Scandal)

It’s literally impossible for me to pick just 6… Personally, though, Anna Gunn deserves the win, and will probably get it. Her biggest issue in getting the win will likely be that BB ended almost a year ago.

9. Shaun says:

I think Scandal is super overrated.Spread the nominations more…

• Jerry says:

Scandal only won one guest actor Emmy and had one other nomination in Kerry Washington last year, hardly overrated. In fact actors like the ones portraying Mellie, Papa Pope and Cyrus Beene have not been given their dues at all.

• abz says:

Bellamy Young is definitely deserving of a nomination IMO, but I personally don’t think Papa Pope and Cyrus deserve one. They over-act wayyyyy too much.

10. MattArmando says:

DEFINITELY Bellamy Young and Hayden Pannetierre! Both so deserving. Plus, I can actually see BELLAMY scoring a nomination as a dark horse.
    DREAM NOMINEES
    Sandra Oh, GREY’S ANATOMY
    Bellamy Young, SCANDAL
    Hayden Pannetierre, NASHVILLE
    Christine Baranski, THE GOOD WIFE
    Anna Gunn, BREAKING BAD
    Michelle Monaghan, TRUE DETECTIVE
    REALISTIC NOMINEES
    Bellamy Young, SCANDAL
    Christine Baranski, THE GOOD WIFE
    Anna Gunn, BREAKING BAD
    Michelle Monaghan, TRUE DETECTIVE
    Emilia Clarke, GAME OF THRONES

• Joey says:

I’ll honestly probably be pretty upset if Emilia Clarke gets nominated again. The only season she even partially deserved a nomination was season one. It’s been all downhill for her from there.

11. Aimee says:

Not one single person from Orange is the new black? FAIL.

12. Ally Oop says:

I once really disliked Hayden Panettiere but since she’s been on Nashville she’s completely won me over. Hayden deserves an Emmy for her performance. She’s just so good.

13. Spencer says:

Personally, I really hope Melissa McBride gets a nom for her mesmerizing acting in The Grove. I still tear up everytime I think of that scene because of her haunting acting. Also, Joanne Froggat from Downton Abbey was stellar this season with her shame over being raped. Just my personal opinions.

14. SJ says:

This has got to be Christine Baranski’s year…

• Shaun says:

no it doesn’t….

• DW says:

It should definitely be Christine Baranski’s year. She is long overdue here and no one came close to her performance this year. She was beyond terrific.

• Dav says:

Actually there were quite a few actresses who “came close” to her performance. That is not a diss against Baranski who is a great actress but an acknowledgement that there are many talented ladies who put on killer performances this year. It’s one of the most difficult categories to pick IMO. Also, if you think no one came close to her I suggest you watch some more TV because clearly you are missing out on some fantastic shows.

• Ron says:

Christine was phenomenal, but she was hardly the lone standout in a category with a lot of amazing performances. For example, I distinctly remember several amazing moments put forth by Anna Gunn in Breaking Bad like it was yesterday, except it was actually almost a year ago. I think this is the most competitive and contentious category at the Emmys this year.

• Anne says:

The problem with her is that The Good Wife never let her have an “Emmy Episode”. Even as a supporting player, you need some kind of arc to showcase your acting skills. Don’t get me wrong, Christine is fabulous in this role but she just have “moments” where she is very good. The writing just doesn’t give her enough to do. Even the aftermath of Will’s death is mostly focus on Alicia’s reaction. Diane and the others have a few moments here and there but it’s not enough.

I would give her the Emmy because she has been consistently good and Diane is a great character. She just never have any Emmy “bait” moment.

15. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Maggie Siff (Sons Of Anarchy)
    Danai Gurira (The Walking Dead) OR Melissa McBride (The Walking Dead)

16. schu says:

Annet for the win!

17. Katee Sackoff (Longmire) needs some consideration.

18. No Emily Mortimer for playing McKenzie McHale on “The Newsroom?” Oh, come on….

19. Rachel says:

Lana Parrilla. That is all.

20. Haley1020 says:

What about Madeleine Stowe for revenge like c’mon she was awesome this season!

21. FinnVixen says:

I would love to see Melissa McBride nominated for an Emmy for her work in “The Grove”. I haven’t been that moved by a performance since Zeljko Ivanek on “Damages”. Absolutely sublime, both of them.

22. L.W. says:

I definitely think Melissa McBride merits consideration for an Emmy.

23. cas says:

I agree on Bellamy Young, Anna Gunn, and Maggie Siff (mainly because those are the shows I watch). It is just plain sad that Maggie doesn’t stand a chance at being recognized just because of the show she is on though.

24. jss0058 says:

This like supporting actor has so many worthy choices. The are a lot of different ways for them to go. I really hope this year we don’t have as many lazy carry overs from last year…as much as I love Christina Hendricks on Mad Men they gave her very little to work with and while I do enjoy Maggie Smith on Downton, she didn’t do anything in my opintion that warrants an Emmy nod this year. I would also say that Emilia Clark, who finally scored a nod last year, shouldn’t be a repeat nominee because her storyline, IMO, has been pretty boring. My “dream” six:
    Anna Gunn (my pick to win)
    Betsy Brandt (who I don’t think has gotten enough cred for what she has done on Breaking)
    Sandra Oh (would be great to see her acknowledged again)
    Maggie Siff (long overdue)
    Lena Headley (has done some great stuff this season)
    Michelle Monaghan (the two male leads have really over shadowed her, but she was excellent)

25. Miranda says:

If Hayden Panetierre and Bellamy Young don’t get nominations I am going to ugly cry.

26. IC says:

Hayden HANDS down!

27. Rick West says:

My six picks:
    – Anna Gunn
    – Danai Gurira
    – Maggie Siff
    – Bellamy Young or Darby Stanchfield
    – Annet Mahendru

28. I disagree with Hayden and Bellamy.
    My choices to replace them would be Taraji P. Henson – Person of Interest (if eligible for supporting) and Olivia Munn – The Newsroom

29. JJ says:

Michelle Monaghan, Danai Gurira and I like the idea of Taraji getting a nomination.

30. Britta Unfiltered says:

I’d go for Maggie Siff, definitely. Also, Anna Gunn (ftw), Jennifer Carpenter, Caitlin Fitzgerald for Masters of Sex (because she made Libby so damn likable), Betsy Brandt, and January Jones. January is not someone I would normally pick as a dream nominee, but I really liked that field trip episode. She’s just so good at playing such a bad mother. It feels very real, like that’s the kind of mom who could have screwed up a lot of people in the world.
    Obviously Anna Gunn is for sure getting nominated, but I think she might be the only one from my list. Others could be Maggie Smith, Christine Baranski, Michelle Monaghan, Christina Hendricks, and ??? Seriously, I have no idea on that last spot. Right now, I’m leaning towards Natalie Dormer, but I change my mind on this every day. I just don’t think it’s going to be Emilia Clarke again, because what has she done this season other than sit around? Though now I’m starting to think about Bellamy Young getting nominated. I personally find Scandal to be a stupid show and I think the idea of it getting nominations is stupid, but people seem to really like her, so who am I to fight that.

31. Karen says:

My dream 6 nominees:
    – Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad)
    – Christine Baranski (The Good Wife)
    – Lena Headey (Game of Thrones)
    – Christina Hendricks (Mad Men)
    – Caitlyn Fitzgerald (Masters of Sex)
    – Sophie Turner (Game of Thrones)

32. Bert says:

Am i the only one who thinks Lana Parrilla should at least be nominated?! Her acting is really great. Can easily switch from mean, sympathetic, heartless to caring.. That is really not easy to pull off. It is just quite disapppointing at times that award giving bodies kind of dismiss fairytale/ fantasy themed series and look past what they actually offer— including actors who play their part really well.

33. CG says:

Hayden deserves a nom and win. She got snubbed last year.

34. ani says:

Jennifer Carpenter from Dexter DESERVES AN EMMY NOMINATION!

35. Ani Everdeen says:

Jennifer Carpenter and Anna Gunn were amazing this season! the others… not that much