Emmys

Emmys 2014: Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series -- Our 6 Dream Nominees!

Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones

While it's true that Tyrion has never turned down the opportunity to deliver an epic speech, his incredible declaration of "guilt" during his murder trial in Season 4 put all previous endeavors to shame. He managed to condense a lifetime of pain and suffering into a powerful monologue, delivered with such gut-wrenching honesty, you couldn't help but pity the poor little rich boy -- unless, of course, your name is Tywin Lannister.

They’re tough. They’re manipulative. They can even be a little terrifying. Meet TVLine’s six Dream Nominees for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series!

Lead Actor in a Comedy | Lead Actress in a Comedy | Supporting Actor in a Comedy | Supporting Actress in a Comedy | Outstanding Drama | Lead Actor in a Drama | Lead Actress in a Drama

The 2013 winner in the category — Bobby Cannavale — wasn’t exactly rainbows and unicorns, either as Boardwalk Empire‘s Gyp Rosetti. But he’s not eligible for this year’s ceremony, although the 2011 and 2010/2012 champs (Game of Thrones‘ Peter Dinklage and Breaking Bad‘s Aaron Paul, respectively) are contenders for the crown.

So, click through our gallery (via the blue button underneath the accompanying Game of Thrones photo or THIS LINK) to see if your dream nominees match up with ours, and then hit the comments to tell us where we got it right, which ones we got wrong and what shows you think we snubbed egregiously.

And then check back Friday as we reveal our dream picks for Supporting Actress in a Drama Series.

1. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

I know this WONT happen……..Ron Pearlman(SOA) and Norman Reedus (The Walking Dead). But hey a girl can dream…

2. JJ says:

My picks:

Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones)
    Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad)
    Dean Norris (Breaking Bad)
    Josh Charles (The Good Wife)
    Mads Mikkelsen (Hannibal)
    Peter Sarsgaard (The Killing)

3. Cassandra says:

My list would be Walt Groggins(Justified), Aaron Paul(Breaking Bad), Peter Dinklage(Game of Thrones), Josh Charles(The Good Wife), and Mads Mikkelsen(Hannibal).

4. connerc says:

I was waiting for this category to see if Team TVLine was any better than the lazy Emmy voters. I’m doubting it, because Kevin Chapman’s performance in Person of Interest surrounding the end of the HR storyline and his redemption was the most stunning work I have seen on tv in years.

• lll says:

My Gosh! I was searching for someone to mention Kevin Chapman. He was so good this year. JIm, Michael and Taraji deserve awards too! POI never gets award love.

5. Mik says:

You think Josh Charles deserves an Emmy nomination for Hitting the Fan, but you didn’t even bother giving him Performer of the Week. Sorry, can’t let that one go :) But I completely agree, he deserves an Emmy nomination.

6. Ron says:

My 6 dream nominees:
    – Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad)
    – Mads Mikkelsen (Hannibal)
    – Josh Charles (The Good Wife)
    – Kit Harington (Game of Thrones)
    – Dean Norris (Breaking Bad)
    – Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones)

The 6 I think will be nominated:
    – Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad)
    – Jon Voight (Ray Donovan)
    – Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones)
    – Josh Charles (The Good Wife)
    – Mandy Patinkin (Homeland)
    – Jeffrey Wright (Boardwalk Empire)

• Ron says:

Thinking back on it, I stick with what I said, but I also think Charles Dance is very worthy of a nomination for his work on Game of Thrones, as is his costar Nikolaj Costar-Waldau. Or even Matthew Lilliard for The Bridge. Or Laurence Fishburne for Hannibal. Or several other people. Dang, the drama categories are too tough to pick. This is gonna be a crowded year in pretty much every drama category…

7. Jared says:

These are all worthy choices, especially Peter Dinklage, who would be my choice to win the category. Jeffrey Wright is supremely deserving as well.

One thing to note, however, is that according to the official Emmy ballot, Mads Mikkelsen will competing in the Lead Actor in a Drama Series category this year alongside Hugh Dancy. As far as I’m concerned, he would be a worthy nominee in that category as well, but the competition is going to be much tougher.

8. MrMank says:

Can’t argue with Charles, Mikkelsen, and Saarsgard, but I’d gladly trade the other three for Mandy Patinkin, Aaron Paul and Dean Norris (for Breaking Bad, of course…not Under The Dome).

• MrMank says:

Oh, man…not to mention Ron Perlman, Jimmy Smits and Norman Reedus!! Damn this is a tough category!!

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Jimmy Smits is submitted in the guest category, so you can omit that one as a dream nominee. :) And Mikkelsen is in lead, so that frees up two of your spots.

9. Shaun says:

Noah Emmerich from The Americans shoulda been added,great work this season.

10. Well done. It’s nice to see Peter Saarsgard get some loving. Aaron Paul/Dean Norris got snubbed though/

11. My choices for nominations are:

1. Aaron Paul. He should also win. He’ll definitely be nominated, but he should win again, because I see no other supporting actor that delivered a more outstanding performance.

2. While Mads Mikkelsen is fantastic, he submitted as lead. Josh Charles is amazing, but his death took away from his performance, especially given it gave Julianna Margulies and Christine Baranski the perfect opportunities to outshine him. He’ll be nominated, and deservedly so, but he shouldn’t win. Christine Baranski should win for Supporting Actress, and that will probably be the only big win The Good Wife can get this year (apart from Guest performances). Except, wait, strike that, there’s Anna Gunn for supporting actress. Anna Gunn should win everything.

3. Jordan Gavaris should be nominated. There’s no way he will.

4. I could see a nomination going to Jeff Perry, and I would like him to get one. He won’t win.
    5. After reviewing the Emmy ballot, the only other actor I would like to get nominated would probably be Rupert Friend. I found him to be one of the only interesting parts in s3 of Homeland. Mandy Patinkin is great, and should be nominated, but I simply didn’t like his arc this season. In any case, Homeland has passed its glory. The only chance this show has at a nomination this year is Claire Danes.
    6. I reserve this spot for a Game of Thrones actor, but I don’t watch the show so I can’t choose. I suppose Peter Dinklage?

12. Aprilcot says:

Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones)
    Peter Sarsgaard (The Killing)
    Jordan Gavaris (Orphan Black)
    Mads Mikkelson (Hannibal…but if he submitted in Lead, then Laurence Fishburne is more than worthy of a nod)

13. Andrew says:

Walter Goggins. Enough said I understand that TVLine gets more traffic from Supernatural fans but really?

• Jane says:

I don’t get the crack about Supernatural. I’m a Supernatural fan but I was also about to write a comment saying Walton (not Walter) Goggins should be nominated.

14. Diz says:

How is Hannibal not a lead?

15. kirads09 says:

Dinklage deserves all accolades
    I am adding
    Billy Bob for FARGO (or would thst fall under miniseries?) Perfection as Malvo
    Eric Knudsen Continuum Alec has had a lot of character growth S3 Outstanding
    Force of nature Orphan Black Jordan Gavaris

• Ron says:

Fargo, and all its actors, will be submitting in miniseries. I may be the only person to think that Martin has actually done a little better in terms of performance than Billy Bob. This isn’t to say, though, that I think Billy Bob hasn’t done great–because he most definitely has.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

You’re not the only person to think that, I am all about Martin Freeman winning for playing Lester Nygaard this year. Dear lord, he was good. It was such a different role for him to play and he nailed it. All my friends who watch the show find Lester to be the most fascinating character too. So you’re definitely not the only one. Lester has left me feeling all sorts of different emotions towards his character. He’s been pretty good with the accent too, I think. And yeah, Billy Bob is also very good, but I really believe the Emmy voters are going to get it right this year and give the trophy to Freeman.

16. Sara says:

I just want Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen to win every award. Their performances just completely blew me away. The whole show is far and away one of the best things to have ever been on television. I hope it gets some well deserved recognition, but I won’t hold my breath.

17. MattArmando says:

Mads Mikkelsen submitted in the LEAD ACTOR category this year!!

18. MattArmando says:

I’d personally love to see Jeff Perry (Cyrus Beene, SCANDAL) score a nod. He’s done some phenomenal work on SCANDAL this year.
    DREAM NOMINEES

Mandy Patinkin, HOMELAND
    Aaron Paul, BREAKING BAD
    Peter Dinklage, GAME OF THRONES
    Dean Norris, BREAKING BAD
    Jon Voight, RAY DONOVAN

• Ally Oop says:

Am I the only one who can’t figure out why The Good Wife is so critically acclaimed? I watched the first season before dropping it and every once in a while I tune into an episode to see what all the fuss is about and I just don’t get it.

• Ron says:

Oh, it’s a fantastic show! This last season was one of the best seasons I’ve seen from a broadcast show in a long time. There’s a chance you’d get into it if you watched last season.

• Jane says:

Nope I tried to get into it also and it was too soapy for me and I couldn’t stand Kalinda or Alicia. Gave up after season 1.

19. PFitzDC says:

As awesome as “Hitting the Fan” was, I think Josh Charles was even better in the episode where he preps to cross-examine Alicia on the stand. The flashbacks, the imaginary dialogue and the real thing were such an exploration of the arc of this character and his relationship with Alicia. It was amazing.

20. jss0058 says:

This is one of the categories where I honestly feel there are easily 10+ people worthy of a nomination. From your list I’d only keep Dinklage & Sarsgaard. I know maybe some people are over all the Breaking Bad love (and it seems like such a long time ago that it aired) but I have to include both Paul & Norris here…in fact if I had to chose between the two I’d rather see Norris get the much deserved nod. I’d also say that this year Harrington from GOT really deserves to be recognized…this past episode would be a great tape for him to submit. I’d probably put Noah Emmerich from The Amercians in my last spot. I also think Reg Cathey (who played Freddy on House of Cards) would be a worthy nominee.

21. Eliza says:

Peter Sarsgaard was flat out amazing on The Killing. His last scene – my goodness, I was a mess and I’m rarely a mess from watching a TV show.

22. Karen says:

Major category that’s always filled with humongous talent. My 6 would be:
    – Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad)
    – Josh Charles (The Good Wife)
    – Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones)
    – Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Game of Thrones)
    – Alan Cumming (The Good Wife)
    – Scott Wilson (The Walking Dead)

*Had Mads Mikkelsen not entered the Lead Actor race, he would have been on this list as well. Other worthy nominees would be Norman Reedus (The Walking Dead), Matt Czuchry (The Good Wife), Dean Norris (Breaking Bad), Kit Harrington (Game of Thrones), and Beau Bridges (Masters of Sex – assuming he’s a Supporting Actor)

23. Ally Oop says:

There’s several of the apparently top cable shows I don’t watch. Of the shows I do watch, here are the best supporting actors of the past year:
    Gustaf Skarsgard (Vikings)
    Craig T. Nelson (Parenthood)
    David Lyons (Revolution)
    Jordan Gervais (Orphan Black)
    I think Gustaf Skarsgard had an incredible performance this year. He plays such a creepy yet likeable character and he does it so well, even in the fighting sequences he gives Floki such a unique style.

24. Joey says:

I still wish that Alfie Allen would get nominated for Game of Thrones, but I don’t think they ever submitted him, even though he was one of the best this season, and was easily the best in season two.

25. Britta Unfiltered says:

Ah, Bobby Cannavale. What a great moment that was watching him win. I missed Gyp last season. Jeffrey Wright would not be one of my six picks, but I’d be cool with him getting nominated. Ditto on Peter Sarsgaard. My six picks would be Jack Huston for Boardwalk Empire (it’s his last chance!!), Aaron Paul for Breaking Bad (I hope he submits Confessions), Peter Dinklage, Josh Charles, David Morrissey for The Walking Dead, and Michael Kenneth Williams for Boardwalk Empire. Chalkie got some great material this year, and I admit my affection for Williams goes back to his days on The Wire.
    I think the true six nominees will be Aaron Paul, Peter Dinklage, Josh Charles, Jon Voight, Jeffrey Wright, and…John Slattery? He had some good Mad Men material this year and he’s been nominated in the past. Drama supporting actor is always so hard to guess, I usually only get two or three correct every year. And who’s going to win this year? I honestly have no freaking idea. Right now I have Aaron Paul picked to win, because…Confessions.

26. Merideth says:

Aaron Paul
    Dean Norris
    Peter Dinklage
    Kit Harrington
    Jeff Perry
    Jimmy Smits

27. Courtney says:

Dream Nominees:

Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones)
    Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad)
    Dean Norris (Breaking Bad)
    Josh Charles (The Good Wife)
    Peter Sarsgaard (The Killing)
    Mandy Patinkin (Homeland

I’d want either Peter or Aaron to win. Josh would awesome too.

28. Haley1020 says:

Henry czerny please

29. Haley1020 says:

D.W. Moffet for sab!

30. Miranda says:

Not sure when the TVLine writers put this list together, but the TV Academy released their ballots and revealed that Mads Mikkelsen has entered as Lead Actor for Hannibal this year so isn’t eligible here.

31. Miranda says:

My Dream 6 nominees in what I think is always my favorite Emmys category because of its deep and varied well of riches:

Josh Charles (The Good Wife) — For the win. I would not be mad of TGW won it all this year, somehow.
    Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad)
    Noah Emmerich (The Americans)
    Walton Goggins (Justified)
    Norman Reedus (The Walking Dead)
    Peter Sarsgaard (The Killing)

Wish I had a spot for Matthew Lillard who was just so surprisingly effective on The Bridge.

32. Canadagraphs says:

I am really hoping Peter Sarsgaard wins.
    The Killing was a powerhouse of acting last season, and he really was far & away the best of a great crop & deserves to be recognized for it.

33. Melanie F Mills says:

Game of Thrones Peter Dinklage is an awesome actor. So deserving of this award.