Ratings: Talent Dips Versus NBA Finals, Night Shift Holds Steady

The Night Shift - Season 1

ABC’s coverage of the NBA Finals Game 3 on Tuesday drew 14.8 million total viewers and a 5.9 rating (per finals), dominating the night in the demo and on par with Sunday’s Game 2.

Going up against the hoops action at least in part, NBC’s America’s Got Talent (11.5 mil/2.6) added a few eyeballs but dipped 7 percent in the demo, while The Night Shift (6.7 mil/1.5) stayed steady.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled?

Fox’s Riot (1.2 mil/0.4) and I Wanna Marry ‘Harry’ (990K/0.4) both were steady.

The CW’s Famous in 12 (630K/0.3) rose a tenth from its premiere.

1. Zach says:

Loving The Night Shift. Funnier than most “comedies” on the air, and the cast is excellent.

2. Vlada says:

should NBC announce renewal fot The Night Shift today? :)

• DarkDefender says:

Hardly… I give it 3 more episodes before it gets cancelled and other summer shows takeover. The only thing it has going is that it is currently the only gig in town.

My problem with the Night Shift is that the medicine is bad.. (Putting a child in an MRI machine with a metal retainer in her mouth?).. Person to person blood transfusion ..in the ER and not OR? I can’t take that show seriously.. If the characters had more charisma and/or chemistry with each other I might be able to look past the medicine and like it for the soap opera aspect… Maybe. But. They need to get a new consultant on board regarding the medicine. I find this show kinda dull and lacking spark… And I wanted it to be good.

• Jake says:

Why would you need an OR for a person to person blood transfusion? Unless there was a reaction there would be no need for an OR and even then you may not need one. I do agree with the MRI machine however.. Perhaps you are a little over critical. If you cannot enjoy the show for what is worth, then go watch something else.

• DarkDefender says:

This was just my opinion on the show.. An OR would be optimal or at the very least they could have had the sister on some kind of monitor. Seriously? Laying on a stretcher, in her street clothes with just an IV line? I’m sorry.. But that would never happen like that any where credible. Their medical consultant should be fired (although I suspect he/she doesn’t even exist).
          Don’t take offense. I meant none. And no worries.. I am very happy to find something else. I have stopped watching and I won’t be surprised if it gets cancelled in the next 3 episodes.

• Elizabeth says:

We don’t necessarily require retainers to be removed when a patient has an MRI. At most it causes image artifact. Our Radiologist sometimes has patients remove them and sometimes they don’t. It’s like having a dental filling.

• DarkDefender says:

Think about it..she was in the MRI for an imaging of her brain.. and it wasn’t urgent/life threatening (which would explain the rush and not take a simple precaution). Not to mention retainers are easily removed, unlike metal fillings.
          As you say, it can cause distortion. Are you telling me you would not have removed the retainer for a head scan? I can totally understand if it was for a scan of the abdomen or anything other than the head. But that’s just me.. I expect more in medical care.

3. wrstlgirl says:

I’ve fallen in love with Night Shift.

4. jenna says:

I like the night shift but am not a fan of the 2 interns of the psych woman. Really wish we found out what the event was that caused the child to have multiple personalities in last week’s episode!

• Zach says:

I actually thought the interns, especially Paul, were one of the best parts of the show.

• jenna says:

it annoys me how incompetent paul is, how would he manage to pass a gross anatomy course or do patient physicals as a med student. Likewise I think the actresses who play krista and landry are flat

• Jake says:

I can. I have seen many people who aced all their exams. (book smart) yet when they got into clinicals and had to interact with a real patient, they froze or just freaked out.

• matt says:

agreed! His incompetence is so frustrating!! As you mentioned he’s had to deal with ‘real patients’ since at least first year med school if not earlier, I could understand if it was ‘first day jitters’ but he doesn’t seem to be showing any improvement. I agree with a previous commentor, the medicine in this show is pretty shoddy they definitely need a new/better medical advisor

• Jake says:

I love the Psych doc! She was Nora on Revolution and was the main reason I watched Revolution. (Daniella Alonso) Glad to see her on the Night Shift. Jordan whom is played by Jill Flint was on Royal Pains and I’m of fan of hers too. I think it helps that I work in the Medical field so I can relate…

• wrstlgirl says:

Not a fan of Alonso. Nothing personal, there’s just something about her that annoys me. Not sure what it is but it’s there. Love Jill Flint.

• Tenney says:

I am not too much of a fan of the female intern. She kind of annoyed me on last night’s episode when she tried to kiss Drew and he pulled away and the first thing she says to him was “what are you, gay?” Sure, he is gay, but it was annoying that she thinks if a guy doesn’t want to kiss her that he must be gay. She could go and I would not miss her at all. Other than her, I love The Night Shift.

5. dan says:

Just curious Matt: why haven’t you reported CBS’s ratings since we’ve started rerun season? I know they haven’t started their summer shows yet (Under the Dome, Big Brother, Extant), but how are their reruns holding up against NBA and other summer fare?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

If a CBS rerun (e.g. BBT) manages to top a night in the demo or in total viewers, simply as a curiosity I try (yet sometimes shall fail!) to pass along that news. Such was not the case this Tuesday evening.

6. Sparky says:

Starting to like the night Shift….

7. Molly says:

The night shift is just a watered down version of E.R.

8. Larry says:

Really loving The Night Shift. I don’t usually get into the recent medical shows the networks push out but this one definitely has a different feel. It reminds me of quality shows like ER and St. Elsewhere even MASH -when good characterization was the most important part of the show. I didn’t plan on making this a habit but I now have a must-see Tuesday night show

9. Bwhit says:

The night shift just keeps getting better. Perfect mix of comedy and drama.

10. bj says:

I must admit the last minute of the episode made watching it worthwhile. I’m still laughing at those eyes. lol

I also thought that the scene where Drew came out was so much better, and more believable, than that quick aside in the first episode. That just seemed like a …”Oops, we forgot to tick a box ” moment. This last scene would have been even better if we’d not yet known that he was gay too.

11. Androme says:

The Night Shift has done impressive in the ratings so far.
    I’d say NBC would give it another season, but it’s a little early to say, so I’ll give it another.

12. DavidSask says:

Should I be watching the NIght Shift am shocked at its good ratings?

13. Mimi says: