Ratings: Major Crimes Returns Up, Murder on Par With King & Maxwell

Major Crimes Ratings Season 3

The Season 3 premiere of TNT’s Major Crimes on Monday night copped 5.2 million total viewers, with 1.2 mil landing in the coveted 18-49 sweet spot. That marks upticks of 3 and 1 percent from its sophomore opener and a slight demo gain versus its Season 2 finale (5.4 mil/1.1 mil).

Major Crimes in turn stands as basic cable’s top-rated scripted premiere for the year-to-date.

RELATED | Monday Broadcast Ratings: Ninja Warrior Bests Jack Bauer, Mistresses Drops

Closing TNT’s night, the debut of Stephen Bochco’s Murder in the First delivered 3.8 million total viewers, with 808K landing in the 18-49 demo — numbers on par with the ill-fated King & Maxwell‘s year-ago launch (3.5 mil/825K) yet nonetheless marking basic cable’s No.1  series premiere for the year-to-date.

1. Colleen says:

Not at all surprised about Murder in the First – I tried so hard and it lost me (and I own Murder One and love it). Really glad for Major Crimes holding its title.

2. Ron says:

I’m tentatively staying around for Murder in the First, but definitely not Bochco’s best effort. Of course, it was just the first episode. I’ll see, but k

3. katedfw says:

Major Crimes was really twisted last night, Sanchez continues to impress me and I am hoping for the Sharon/Flynn hook-up. Great show!!!!

4. sladewilson says:

I watched Murder in the First and quickly realized it would be perfect as a Binge show on Hulu or Netflix. it’s a long haul type of show, and I’m kinda interested right now so it got my tentative vote. I’ll give it @five eppys before I decide to stay or bolt. As for Major Crimes, Sykes in that dress… whoooooooo Lawd……

5. Diz says:

I love Major Crimes & enjoyed Murder in the first so I will be sticking around to see how it plays out.

6. Pamela says:

surprised Murder/First isn’t higher than King/Maxwell. It is so much better. Looks like a real quality show. It’s a matter of knowing when they start. There wasn’t much hoopla about it. I had to read an article about Diggs and his ex to realize it was on last night. Good to have a fleshed out show with cops dealing with their own life as well. I’ll DVR and watch for sure! Another Bochco hit! The summer is here and the REAL best season of the year now begins….with this and Major Crimes, and Rizzoli and Suits and Royal Pains…too bad Necessary Roughness isn’t still around.

7. 324B21 says:

Major Crimes was so good last night. I think that was one of it’s best episodes to date. I’m glad to see it is holding steady.

8. Pat says:

I am so happy that Major Crimes is back and as always, this episode did not disappoint me. I still have to watch Murder in the First but reading some comments is making me nervous. So I will have to hurry up and watch it, to see if I like it or not.

9. anothervoiceofreason says:

Loved The Closer most of the time and also love Major Crimes most of the time (except when they create the silly episodes focused only on comic relief…it’s always better when there’s really suspense and intense acting). I enjoyed the season premier; however, something from last season still bugs me: does it annoy anyone else when the writers are so lazy that they actually rewrite characters’ back-stories, even within the same season? Since Raydor has been around, she’s been known as a mother of two grown sons, but during last season (whenever the episode story line found it convenient), suddenly there were references to her grown daughter – in at least two different episodes – who was supposedly a great ballet dancer. This reference to the daughter was brought up in a couple of episodes when it supported the story lines, and then they went back to her only having two sons again. This is just sloppy writing, which annoys me because it assumes that viewers don’t notice really obvious details like that. Does anyone else feel the same way about these types of overt and blatant lazy writing blunders? Or is it okay, as long as the rest of the plot is riveting? I’m just curious…

• Molls says:

They’ve never said she had 2 sons. On Closer it was just kids with no gender mentioned. Then in MC she mentioned her son did pledge to a frat. The daughter was confirmed last year and her son got a name (Ricky). But at no point has it been said she has son’s.

• anothervoiceofreason says:

You are incorrect. When her husband (played by Tom Berringer) showed up on her doorstep and stuck around for an episode or two, her condition for allowing him to stay on her couch was only if he called his TWO SONS to reconnect after disappearing from their lives for some time. Then, she again mentioned her two sons to Rusty when decorating the tree for Christmas. I just watched the marathon the other day before the season premier, and multiple references were made about her two sons last season. Nothing about a daughter until the ballet dancer references, then back to the two sons she raised again afterwards to Rusty around Christmas-time.

10. arial2 says:

Loved Major Crimes’ return, but also loved Longmire’s return on A&E (which pulled in nearly 3.6 million viewers). I was pleased seeing two of my favorites return on the same day. Was this meant to be just a TNT story or overall cable ratings? Matt, please keep an eye on Longmire; it’s an extraordinary show.

11. prish says:

King and Maxwell, please bring it back!

• drhenning says:

I liked it as well but the actors have moved on to other projects… I’m really interested in Rebecca’s new show The Librarians.