Emmys

Emmys 2014: Outstanding Drama Series -- Our 6 Dream Nominees!

Breaking BadThere are few TV dramas that are able to reduce us to near-hyperventilation on a weekly basis, but Breaking Bad's final season did just that. As the AMC juggernaut came to a near-perfect conclusion, we let our jaws take up permanent residence on the floor and marveled at how Vince Gilligan & Co. maneuvered their way around such a magnificently tangled web. Plus, with an ensemble cast that gave heartbreaking performances week after week — even baby Holly! — there's no question that Bad's Emmy-worthy final run was so, so good.

Things are getting serious as TVLine’s Dream Emmy Nominees series continues. Yes indeed, we’re shifting gears from the comedy categories — and diving headlong into the Outstanding Drama Series race.

More Emmy Races In Review | Outstanding Comedy Series | Lead Actor in a Comedy Series | Lead Actress in a Comedy Series | Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series | Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series

If we have it our way, there’ll be three first-time nominees in the mix, along with last year’s winner, a three-time Emmy bridesmaid and a two-time nominee that’s gotten snubbed by the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences the last two years.

So, click through our gallery (via the blue button underneath the accompanying Breaking Bad photo or THIS LINK) to see if your dream nominees match up with ours, and then hit the comments to tell us where we got it right, which ones we got wrong and what shows you think we snubbed egregiously.

And then check back Tuesday as we reveal our dream picks for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series.

1. Smigglesby says:

Game of thrones’ inclusion on the list after a widely disjointed season of inconsistent quality is further proof that tvline is shameless populism.

2. meah says:

Bryan cranston or kevin spacey for me!!

3. msnyder1985 says:

What no orphan black? That’s one of the best shows on tv, much better than the soap opera that is the good wife IMO.

• Kat says:

i came here to say that orphan black should be on that list. glad i’m not the only one who feels that way.

• Liam says:

I loved season 1 of OB, but I think this season has been very inconsistent. The Good Wife on the other hand is the s*it (in the best way possible).

4. Patricia Korth says:

Where is the Mentalist? After a slide, it came back fantastic in season 6!!!

5. Meg says:

Breaking Bad will get it and win, IMO.I’d be very surprised if they didn’t sweep. Bryan and Aaron killed it as always and deserve to get nominated and win.

6. Dani says:

What, no Sleepy Hollow? Think you should go back to the drawing board.

7. Shaun says:

Breaking Bad is overrated and shouldn’t win.A nomination for sure.

8. Ron says:

- True Detective
    - House of Cards
    - Game of Thrones
    - Masters of Sex
    - The Good Wife

9. Tran says:

Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Mad Men, Scandal and Downton Abbey. Homeland had a disappointing third season.

10. Andrew says:

I find it hard to believe that *two* network shows made your list. I enjoy my hour with Alicia and Co. each week and who doesn’t love a well cooked non-vegetarian meal but…

The Americans
    Fargo
    Justified
    Orphan Black
    Broadchurch
    Rectify
    House of Cards

I know you were only picking six but I think you’re missing the boat on a couple. I’ll forgive the Orphan Black snub (not that you could care less that I *forgive* you) because I’m sure Tatiana Maslany will be in your Dream 6 Best Actress – Drama category. One could argue she should also be nominated for supporting actress for the same show.

Anyways, my two cents.

• the girl says:

I would gladly remove Breaking Bad from that list for The Americans, House of Cards, OR Orphan Black. Oh man and what about Bates Motel?? I marathoned all six seasons of BB during winter break and lost four days of my life that I’ll never get back. That felt like a complete waste. I get that other people loved it but I don’t think it was good enough for a Emmy nom, not when there are so many deserving shows that weren’t anywhere near your list.

• Andrew says:

Forgot about Bates. I’m sure there are others I’m overlooking (stopped watching Boardwalk Empire years ago once I gave up HBO). While I liked BB, I hear what you’re saying. I just could never get into Mad Men for example.

Fact is, they need larger nomination fields or separate categories for network/cable/pay cable, etc.

• Tom says:

Breaking Bad was better when you had to wait a week between episodes or seasons. Binge watching doesn’t let the drama set in as much. But a valid opinion.

• Ron says:

Fargo will be going in TV mini-series, I think. And it will likely win there.

11. Jerry says:

I think Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and True Detective will be shoo-ins. Historically, Emmys have liked Downton Abbey, Homeland, and Mad Men, and House of Cards, but I’m not so sure about these latter 4 for this year, since the hype has died down quite a bit for them. The Good Wife has a shot.

My prediction is that the last 3 nominees will Masters of Sex (ousting Homeland), The Good Wife, and House of Cards.

12. Dee says:

Where is The Blacklist????

• Ron says:

The Blacklist, while good, doesn’t hold a candle to the numerous other dramas on TV that are vastly superior. If the Emmys ever decide to separate cable & broadcast network shows, then The Blacklist is definitely getting nominated. But until they do so, I don’t foresee The Blacklist getting nominated in the near future for best drama.

13. Ally Oop says:

I was never able to fully connect with The Good Wife. I watched on and off for two years but finally dropped it in favour of better shows. As for the other shows, the only one I actually watch is Game of Throbes but I didn’t start until the 25th episode and I’m still confused as hell. The best written/directed/acted dramas I watch are Orphan Black, Vikings, Call the Midwife, Parenthood, Nashville and and Orange Is the New Black. And yes I know that OITNB is in the comedy category this year but I disagree with that so I still consider it a drama.

14. Aprilcot says:

Orphan Black
    Hannibal
    True Detective
    Game of Thrones
    House of Cards
    If any of these shows win, I’ll be happy. True Detective was amazing, and OB is my favorite, but this *should* belong to Hannibal. It was just so exquisitely brilliant and beautifully grotesque.

15. Jane says:

Really, you have the incredibly boring, at least for me, Masters of Sex, but you leave off Fargo, one of the most entertaining shows I’ve seen in years. I find myself disagreeing more and more with the opinions of Team TVLine.

16. MattArmando says:

I would’ve thrown SCANDAL into the mix, too. However, I don’t personally think it’s SCANDAL ‘s time yet. I do think, though, that SCANDAL will sneak a nod in the next 5 years or so, before its endgame.

DREAM NOMINEES
    Scandal (ABC)
    Hannibal (NBC)
    Breaking Bad (AMC)
    True Detective (HBO)
    House Of Cards (NETFLIX)

REALISTIC NOMINEES
    Breaking Bad (AMC)
    True Detective (HBO)
    House Of Cards (NETFLIX)
    Game Of Thrones (HBO)
    The Good Wife (CBS)

17. bhm1304 says:

Another website that doesn’t understand the master-class of adult television drama that is ‘Banshee’.

18. Mark Sacchetti says:

On broadcast TV
    Hannibal
    On Cable
    Breaking Bad
    True Detective
    House of Cards

Over all I am impressed with the quality of the product the Hannibal team has crafted . It’s a show that doesn’t compromise it’s integrity to be on broadcast TV.

19. Rich Abey says:

Agree with most of the choices except for The Good Wife & Masters of Sex. First I haven’t watched the latter show much except for the Pilot episode, so can’t really comment (all I got through was a whole lot of sex/masturbation!). Secondly The Good Wife…while it is quite good from the few episodes I’ve caught in my free time this season, it never really got me as psyched as it got a lot of TV critics and viewers. Personally I found Boston Legal (a very similarly themed law show that ended a few yrs back) a much more entertaining show than Good Wife.
    My 6 nominees:
    – Breaking Bad: Most likely to win & most deserving too. Pitch perfect!
    – Person of Interest: Really…still no major awards for this awesomely unconventional show with a whole bunch of amazing actors? At least Arrow gets the excuse of having mostly average acting except from Susanna Thompson & Emily Rickards. The same cannot be said of PoI whose cast includes Michael Emerson, Taraji Henson, Amy Acker, Jim Caviezel & Sarah Shahi among the leads. It’s 3rd season was by far it’s best and most revolutionizing and certainly one of the best dramas of the season. Still unlikely the Emmy voters even watch this show given that they are all supposedly high-class people who only watch intelligent shows (whatever that means!! Their intelligence is certainly under question if they can’t see high quality in front of their eyes)
    – Game of Thrones: It wasn’t as disjointed as many say it has been this season. Certainly delivered some of the most riveting moments of the series.
    – Hannibal
    – The Americans: Hugely underrated. One of the most tense’est shows around.
    – True Detective

20. jss0058 says:

Switch out The Americans & House of Cards for Hannibal & Masters and I think the list is perfect.

I can’t imagine any best drama list of the past year being complete without both shows on it. The Americans should have gotten attention last year, but was even better in season 2. I also think season 2 of House of Cards improved over its pretty good season 1. Game of Thrones might be inconsistant, but it creates some of the best “moments” on TV. Breaking Bad was excellent in its final season even if the finale wasn’t as great as I was hoping. True Detective, for me anyway, should be the winner here as I thought it was absolutely brilliant from start to finish.

21. Erin says:

Something about True Detective being in the Best Drama race rather than Miniseries really bothers me. Don’t get how it’s different than American Horror Story in terms of categorizing. Only eight episodes and they’ve announced it’s going to be a new set of characters and a new location for the next season.

Doesn’t seem fair that it’s up against The Good Wife, which has produced 22 episodes of its best work following seasons of fantastic lead up. But I’ll admit most of my dissatisfaction probably stems from the fact that I just really don’t like True Detective (self indulgent, overly cynical, nihilistic mess)

22. Jim says:

The Americans, Scandal, True Detective, Dowton Abbey, and Breaking Bad (even though I never watched it) Whichever series do get nominated, there will be a few deserving that are left out.

23. abz says:

The Good Wife absolutely deserves the win this season IMO. This season was pretty much it’s best season. There aren’t many shows out there that continues to top itself 5 seasons in. TGW only keeps getting better and better and the acting is consistently amazing.

• Miranda says:

Absolutely agree. It doesn’t stand a chance of course but since we’re talking DREAM scenarios here I would be in ecstasy of The Good Wife walked away with Best Drama. Other than Breaking Bad, it was the one season of television my friends and I found ourselves raving about the most. With Breaking Bad it was expected that the season would be as stellar as it was – but TGW hit us all like a sledgehammer to the face.
      An incredible season with some of the best ensemble acting I’ve seen since the days of Deadwood.

24. zac says:

My 6 dream nominations:
    - Game of Thrones
    - Breaking Bad
    - Nashville
    - True Detective
    - Hannibal
    - The Good Wife

25. Chara says:

The Good Wife. Simply because despite the restrictions imposed by networks like CBS and the fact that it has to air at least 22 episodes per season, it is always outstanding and in many many cases pure genius. Amazing writing and phenomenal performances keep you at the edge of your seat. Which other TV drama has achieved all that, managing to air their best season ever (5th season) under the exact same conditions and restrictions? I highly doubt that any of the cable dramas would be half as good if they had to air 10-12 more episodes each season and if they couldn’t for example show full nudity, etc… Also, it is important to mention that is a show based on contemporary lifestyle, not dragons, fiction, spies, sci-fi etc, which have the luck to impress much easier just by effects and exaggerated storylines…

26. Apples says:

The Good Wife nomination is a joke, that show is awful.

True Detective or GoT for the win please.

27. Britta Unfiltered says:

I wish I could have liked True Detective as much as the critics did. It had some truly great scenes in it and the finale was a nail biter, but overall, I wasn’t crazy about the show. I’ll stick with it for the next season though. The show is so hugely pretentious that I’m sure it will do well with the Emmys. I like GoT, but I wouldn’t include it as a favorite for this last season. Joffrey’s death not withstanding, this whole season has felt like we’re sitting around waiting for things to happen. This wasn’t the best year for dramas for me. Last year was better.
    So I’ve got three shows I’m really excited about, and three shows that I’m kind of “eh” on, but I’m super faithful to anyway. The first three are Breaking Bad, which should win, and then Masters of Sex and Mad Men. Mad Men had a fantastic season this year. They are back to form. And Masters of Sex just kicks ass. What a great character study that show is, with the best cast on television. The other three are Boardwalk Empire, Homeland, and Justified. I think the six that will actually get nominated are Breaking Bad, True Detective, House of Cards, Mad Men, HOPEFULLY Masters of Sex, and then I go back and forth between Game of Thrones and The Good Wife. One of those two is going to get its feelings hurt by the Emmys this year. Or I could be totally off base and they’ll snub Mad Men for the first time or Masters of Sex. [Shrug].

28. Miranda says:

My Dream 6 nominees:

The Good Wife (to win it – by a mile)
    Hannibal
    Breaking Bad
    The Americans
    Game of Thrones
    House of Cards

Even though it qualifies I still feel like True Detective does not belong in this category.

29. Lori Jonas says:

alicia witt for Justified

30. Karen says:

Of the shows I’ve seen, it should be (in preferred order)
    - Breaking Bad
    - Game of Thrones
    - Masters of Sex
    - The Good Wife
    - The Walking Dead
    * I’ll leave the 6th slot open for one of the praised shows I haven’t watched yet (House of Cards, True Detective, Orphan Black, Orange is the New Black, Sons of Anarchy, etc.), seeing as neither Homeland, Mad Men, or True Blood have brought it in their past (few) season(s)

31. Haley1020 says: