Emmys

Emmys 2014: Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series -- Our 6 Dream Nominees!

Cheryl Hines, SuburgatoryAs the materialistic, often ridiculous Dallas Royce -- who in Season 3 dated herself on the advice of a matchmaker and taught a "tanning" class to local high-school seniors, among other absurdities -- Hines never failed to score big laughs. That she also managed to show us her character's heart and vulnerabilities in Suburgatory's heightened, parodied world, however, made Hines' performance a thing of underrated beauty. In the wake of Dallas' heartbreak at on-again-off-again lover George's ambivalence in the series finale, an Emmy remains the only hope for a happy ending.

The Emmys are as notorious for snubs as they are famous for rewarding television excellence — so please forgive TVLine for quite possibly doing the same.

More Emmy Races In Review | Outstanding Comedy Series | Lead Actor in a Comedy Series | Lead Actress in a Comedy Series | Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series

Indeed, our Dream Emmy Nominees in the Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy race omits the last three winners of the statuette: Glee‘s Jane Lynch (2010), Modern Family‘s Julie Bowen (2011 and 2012) and Nurse Jackie‘s Merritt Wever (the 2013 champ).

No offense to those worthy women — it’s just that the current roster of TV funny ladies is so insanely deep, we had no other choice but to spread the wealth a little.

RELATED | TCA Awards 2014: True Detective Snags Four Nominations; Good Wife, Breaking Bad Land Three Each

So, click through our gallery (via the blue button underneath the accompanying Suburgatory photo or CLICK THIS LINK to see if your dream nominees match up with ours, and then hit the comments to tell us where we got it right, which ones we got wrong and what shows you think we snubbed egregiously.

1. LADY_in_MD says:

Dear TVLINE,

I am an avid reader but have to say this new site is just not user friendly. Its very hard to read the text or see related links to articles. Most of the time when I am reading an article on my Iphone i can not see the whole article. Now there is no blue link below the photo above. I know there are probably still kinks to fix but it would be nice to see some more changes to your new site and also make it more mobile friendly.
    Lady_in_MD

• Timmah says:

I agree. I gave it some time to see if it was just resistance to change. But nope, the redesign just sucks.

• Aprilcot says:

I don’t even read the galleries anymore. :(

• Diz says:

Yea mobile site sucks. iPad is even worse for galleries. You either have to scroll side to side to get the text next to pictures or flip the pad horizontally in order to get pictures & text on the screen at the same time. I just don’t bother with the galleries much anymore. Not being able to pinch the site, horrible font, imbedded links same color as article text, wipeout white. I’ve tried giving it a shot, but it still is horrible. I don’t know how much longer I’m going to stick around.

• Ally Oop says:

The problems all seem to be related to the iPhone 4 which it appears a great many people, including me have. And unfortunately my contract isn’t up for another year so I’m stuck with this phone till then. I wish this site would return to its old form because right now reading and commenting are downright frustrating. Its not WordPress that’s the problem–I don’t have the same problem on other WordPress sites. It appears that something was amiss in Tvline’s formatting.

• Jamie says:

I have read this site religiously since the unveiling, and I too hate the redesign. Why do we need the huge article photos? The galleries are a waste, and the site it much more difficult to navigate. And, contrary to above, it’s not the iphone. I use a Galaxy s4 and it is an equally dismal experience.

2. Ron says:

My 6 dream nominees:
    – Anna Chlumsky (Veep)
    – Stephanie Beatriz (Brooklyn Nine-Nine)
    – Sofia Vergara (Modern Family)
    – Gillian Jacobs (Community)
    – Aubrey Plaza (Parks & Rec)
    – Niecy Nash (Getting On)

The 6 I think will be nominated:
    – Allison Janney (Mom)
    – Sofia Vergara (Modern Family)
    – Julie Bowen (Modern Family)
    – Merritt Wever (Nurse Jackie)
    – Mayim Bialik (Big Bang Theory)
    – Kate Mulgrew (OITNB)

3. dru says:

Anna Chlumsky is so great on Veep

4. Sean T says:

I am glad someone else noticed how great Niecey was on Getting On. I felt she was the ground on which that show ran. The soft moments when she would try to connect to the patients were some of my favorites. Hopefully an actual nomination will come her way.

5. gregg says:

Site redesign is terrible…dont know why they messed with a good thing. It is impossible to navigate teh site now.

6. TL says:

I think Kaley should go in lead and Mayim & Melissa in supporting for BIG BANG THEORY…

7. Cassandra says:

I think the cast of OitNB is going to dominate this category. Laverne Cox, Kate Mulgrew, Uzo Aduba, and Michelle Hurst are all worthy of the recognition.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Uzo Aduba is going to be submitted in the guest actress category actually, and I think she could win that. I hope she does.

8. Shar says:

I think Kaley may resent being relegated to supporting actress status… not lead?

9. j says:

Dream list: Allison Janney, Kate McKinnon, Laverne Cox, Alison Brie, Cristin Milioti, Aidy Bryant. I know, I know, there’s no way in hell… but still.

10. Aprilcot says:

My dream list:
    Uzo Aduba – OitNB
    Kate Mulgrew – OitNB
    Anna Chlumsky – Veep
    Cristin Milioti – HIMYM
    Aubrey Plaza – Parks & Rec
    Kate McKinnon – SNL

11. Ally Oop says:

I don’t think Orange Is the New Black should be competing in the comedy category. It’s more dramatic than comedic. Michaela Watkins from Trophy Wife, Wendy Mclendon-Covey from The Goldbergs and Melissa Rauch from Big Bang Theory get my votes.

• Cassandra says:

It was reported back in March that for the Emmy’s they are submitting it as a comedy. For the GG they submitted it as a drama but it only scored them one nomination.

• Meredith says:

It’s like you read my mind! I don’t watch The Goldbergs, but Michaela Watkins from Trophy Wife was one off the reasons I came back after the pilot. Her searching through the yard of fake rocks killed me. And I feel like Melissa Rauch from TBBT never gets enough credit. Kaley looks like she’s about to bust out laughing in every scene and while I love Mayim, Melissa is the funniest. And to keep up that voice like she does.

12. Courtney says:

No Eden Sher?!

13. HAP says:

I think Anna Chlumsky is great. I also happened to notice that so far, none of the comments have Cheryl Hines in them. Could that be because Cheryl Hines always plays Cheryl Hines? Her character in Suburgatory is almost a mirror image of her character on Curb.

14. SJ says:

My dream nominees:

– Anna Chlumsky (Veep)
    – Cheryl Hines (Suburgatory)
    – Eden Sher (The Middle)
    – Kate McKinnon (SNL)
    – Amanda Setton (The Crazy Ones)
    – Michaela Watklins (Trophy Wife)

Pipe dream, I know…

15. Pickle says:

Kaitlin Olson – It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    Aubrey Plaza – Parks and Rec
    Uzo Aduba – Orange is the New Black
    Taryn Manning – Orange is the New Black
    Laverne Cox – Orange is the New Black
    Anna Chlumsky – Veep

16. Television Scout says:

Just some background info here for those who may not be getting the Gallery to work properly on their smart phone/tablet; here is TVLines’ six dream nominees for best supporting actress in a comedy series-

1. Anna Chlumsky (Veep)
    2. Laverne Cox (OitNB)
    3. Kaly Cuoco (TBBT)
    4. Cheryl Hines (Suburgatory)
    5. Zosia Manet (Girls)
    6. Niecy Nash (Getting On)

And just FYI, last year’s/2013 Supporting Actress nominees were –

1. Mayim Balik (TBBT)
    2. Jane Lynch (Glee)
    3. Sofia Vergara (Modern)
    4. Julie Bowen (Modern)
    5. Merrit Wever (Nurse Jackie)
    6. Anna Chlumsky (Veep)

My office colleague (N tTVf) will do the honors of providing our office ‘dream picks’ for supporting actress in a comedy- I drew the [short] straw for best comedy actress and took my beating earlier in the week. ;)

17. N tTVf says:

All right, here we go – my ‘pipe’ dream picks for the six supporting actress nominations in a comedy series for 2013-2014 season –

1. Mayim Bialik (TBBT) –
    We’ve already placed Kaley C in the best actress category for TBBT earlier in the week – KC belongs in the lead-actress category. Bialik may win this category next year. This show is drawing so many viewers each week – they need to get some recognition for the ladies in the cast – unfortunately, not enough room (this time) for Ms. Rauch. As TVLine noted, KC is getting some dramatic elements/adult-level decisions for her character, and that pushes her acting chops – good to see that. For more of that, see #6 nominee on this list.
    2. Laverne Cox (OitNB) –
    This series is both drama and comedy, but a new show added for this category always welcome, so good to see OitNB on board with entering the Emmys as a comedy. Any of the OitNB actresses would do fine in this category, we’re selecting LC this time around – next year, one or two more. We put Ms. Schilling in the best actress category earlier this week. She deserves to be on that lead actress list, and frankly, perhaps win the Emmy.
    3. Anna Chlumsky (Veep) –
    We think Anna C. will win this category this year. We were hard on JLD, and left her off the best actress listing after a couple of wins [we felt no room in top-6], but AC is on the cusp of winning an Emmy – so this is her year representing a solid comedy series [although we think more than 10+ episodes each season might be kinda nice since other actresses in these comedy categories are working 22-24 and being left off nomination lists in favor of actresses [barely] working ten.]
    4. Stephanie Beatriz (Brooklyn Nine Nine)-
    A good young series, they will get some nominations, and SB [& AB] is top of the fine supporting cast on this show. We may see SB nominated in this category for some years to come.
    5. Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife)
    Now, we get to the surprise picks – you knew they were coming ;). Let the ‘chain- of-screaming’ begin. Trophy Wife was a really nice show (unfortunately canceled), and the cast was quite good, but we think MGH was the best of the bunch – a pro’s-pro. She’s earned this selection. Had this show continued forward, we may have seen MGH eventually win an Emmy for her work a couple of seasons down the line. Of course, now we won’t.
    6. Cobie Smulders (HIMYM)
    We placed Alyson Hannigan in the lead category earlier this week (and caught hell for it), and I’ve already taken some heat for this pick here in the office. I don’t care! Bring it on! Or at least, hear me out. ;) Cobie and Robin were the key to season 9 of HIMYM – fans may not have liked S9 or the finale, but there can be no doubt, the final season was about Robin’s metamorphosis [spoiler alert for those of you just back from the moon] from “love-struck bride to be” to self-isolated woman in search of “the one that got away.” Heavy drama for Ms. Scherbatsky.

For CS, lots of drama/poignant comedy and the ultimate support of a lead actor (Josh Radnor) in a series. That is what a supporting actor/actress should be doing in order to get a nomination on this list, and CS did that all season long with both NPH/Barney and JR/Ted. Check out ‘Sunrise’, ‘Daisy’ and ‘End of the Isle’ again – her work in those episodes is where TBBT writers want/need to take Kaley Cuoco’s character Penny in the next season or two: acting out humor while leaving heart and soul completely broken and bare. That was the work both Radnor and Smulders did in those two episodes ['Sunrise' and 'End of the Isle']; for my money, the best episodes of this final season, and two of the best of the entire series.

PS – who do we think will get the six nominations? – Anna Chlumsky (Veep), Allison Janney (Mom), Merritt Wever (Nurse Jackie), Kate Mulgrew (OitNB), Uzo Aduba (OitNB) and Zosia Manet (Girls).

18. No BlEEPING way does Laverne Cox deserve a nomination for OITNB. Sophia did nothing worthy of outstanding nor funny, IF the Emmy’s want to honor anyone from that show it should be Uzo Aduba aka Suzanne “Crazy Eyes” Warren.

19. Britta Unfiltered says:

I would be cool with Laverne Cox getting a nomination, but my main six are Gillian Jacobs for Community, Carrie Brownstein for Portlandia, Tamsin Greig for Episodes, Eden Sher for The Middle, Merritt Wever for Nurse Jackie, and Anna Chlumsky for Veep. Probably only Merritt and Anna get in, and then Kate Mulgrew for Orange is the New Black, Julie Bowen and Sofia Vergara, and then Mayim Bialik for TBBT.

20. Andy says:

The love for Laverne Cox is great, but she’s eligible for Guest Actress in a Comedy, not Supporting Actress. I would love to see Kate Mulgrew in this category, though.

21. Tran says:

Julie Bowen (Modern Family), Chelsea Peretti and Melissa Fumero (Brooklyn Nine Nine), Zosia Mamet (Girls), Kate McKinnon (Saturday Night Live) and Anna Chlumsky (Veep).

22. Wolfie says:

No one probably cares/watches the show but Kathleen Rose Perkins in Episodes is the most Emmy-worthy IMO.

23. Wendi says:

Susan Lucci is deserving of a nomination for her work on Devious Maids. She’s a comedic genius. Her landing a nod would be the talk of tinseltown.

24. Karen says:

Dream 6:
    – Alison Brie (Community)
    – Alyson Hannigan (HIMYM)
    – Sarah Hyland (Modern Family)
    – Busy Phillips (Cougar Town)
    – Merritt Weaver (Nurse Jackie
    – Cheryl Hines (Suburgatory)

25. Josh Labron says:

Laverne Cox is actually being submitted in guest, not supporting. I’m hopeful she can get a nomination though!