Rising Star: Will 'Instant Gratification' Tempt You to Sample ABC's New Singing Competition?

Josh Groban hates waiting — which, perhaps, makes him the perfect host for ABC’s new reality singing competition, Rising Star (Sunday, June 22, 9/8c).

RELATED | American Idol Runner-Up Jena Irene Talks Songwriting Process, Covering Paramore, Elvis & Zedd and Voting ‘No’ to Top 5 Twist

In the network’s latest promo, Groban and judges Ludacris, Kesha and Brad Paisley explain what they think sets their show apart from its competitors: No results show, immediate advancement or elimination based on live viewer voting through a Rising Star app, and power completely in the hands of fans (not the celebrity panel).

VIDEO | American Idol Winner Caleb Johnson Talks Bond-Theme Aspirations, R-Word Dustup and the Importance of a Full Band

What’s more, images of selected voters will be projected onto a giant wall that will separate contestants from success or failure: “Yes” votes will raise the wall (and lead to the next round); “no” votes will keep the wall in place (and lead to elimination).

Press PLAY on the video for more intel on the Rising Star format, then tell us if you’ll be watching! And follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV for all my reality TV recaps, news and exclusives!

1. Diz says:

Sounds like a flop. Who watches anything live to even participate in it?

• JC says:

It was a huge hit in Israel where it was developed and ratings increased through the season. Similar shows usually experience a ratings drop from the beginning to the end of the season.

2. jenna says:

this is an odd concept and really only caters to one time zone

• Kelly says:

Interesting point. Seems like Sundays would be the perfect time to try something live for all time zones. Pacific @ 7, Mountain @ 8, Central @ 9, Atlantic @ 10.

• Nick says:

Actually I read that for the west and east coast, they will vote separately. So say that people on the east coast don’t vote a singer through, if the west coast people do then the singer goes through, and vice versa.

3. Kevin says:

Kesha? Really? No, thanks.

• JC says:

Why not? Kesha is a nice person with a great personality and despite what people think, she’s actually a talented singer. Check out her ballads Wonderland and Sunday Morning if you don’t believe me.

4. Annie says:

I’ll give it a chance, but only because of my loyalty to JGro.

5. Britt says:

I don’t think I can take another singing show. This may go the way of Duets,

6. I’ll be watching for Josh Groban, the host with the most!

7. Carola says:

I am actually really looking forward to it! Seems quite innovative and I like the cast!

8. Montavilla says:

Please tell me you’ll be doing a Reality Check on this show. :)

9. Larc says:

We already have more than enough singing competitions. One of the last things we need is another one.

10. Go Spurs Go says:

So, we’re the judges and what are these clowns doing? So, if they want me to be a judge, I am requesting a tidy sum of $17.5 million…like J.lo’s salary. Otherwise NO thanks!

11. lilyyy85 says:

Maybe cool if you actually live on the East Coast. Which I don’t.

12. Geo says:

Oh good, another singing competition. Perhaps the networks can get really creative and also come up with a show about cops, or, perhaps, a hospital.

13. Emma says:

This show actually sounds interesting unlike the various other singing shows. I can see it doing well. Plus, it’s got Kesha and Josh Groban, the people behind two of the most lovely songs ever: Past Lives (Kesha) and You Raise Me Up (Josh).

14. Alienate says:

I will prolly watch the first episode just to see how stupid it really is. I don’t have a smart phone and I live on the West Coast. I will be doubly impotent. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

15. Louis says:

What about West Coast viewers? Are they going to be ignored like The Voice ignores West Coast viewers with the instant save?

16. Colleen says:

Seems like you only count if you live on the east coast. Shows usually air at 3-4 different times across the different time zones. Even if you run a separate one for the west coast, you are still missing basically the entire Mountain time zone.

17. Dave says:

Another singing competition? Note to all TV execs: we are collectively sick of singing competition reality shows. American Idol hits shocking new lows every week, The Voice (while still popular) has been steadily declining as well (only a matter of time til it’s no longer a hit show and reaches Idol-level lows), and X Factor was canceled. We are burned out on these shows. You have completely saturated our interest in the concept. Enough is enough. Don’t be surprised when no one cares about this show and you’re forced to cancel it.

18. jpp says:

Can’t we just eliminate all of these shows with a live vote? They all become a sad copy of one another after a time. Let’s move on!

19. Luciano says:

A version of this show premiered here in Brazil in April and it’s a major flop. The phone app didn’t work properly the first week, the rules are a mess and nobody can explain them to the audience. I doubt it will work in the US.

20. What I don’t understand is what the actual criteria for “lifting the wall” is? A) If the giant wall gets completely filled with the voters’ faces? How many people is that? A thousand, max? B) If the singer gets a certain number of votes? Half a million? What if the show is such a flop not even that many people watch it? C) If the singer gets to a certain yes to no ratio of votes?
    They wanted to create this next-gen thing and make it simple, but they ended up making it way too complicated.

• Diz says:

Yea, they won’t describe the rules very thoroughly which will allow them to just make them up as they go along. You know the app will crash. They’ll direct you to vote on the website then and it won’t be able to handle the traffic. It just sounds like a mess to me.

• Alexandre Therrien says:

Yes, but once you think about it it’s not that complicated. People need to vote through the app (it’s a yes/no thing, so it’s not about the amount of people voting), then when it reaches 70% the wall rises and there you have it.

And, if it’s the same as the original version, the judges CAN ”vote” for a contestant and it adds 7% each (which may be different considering in the original israel version there are 4 judges).

Does it seem any clearer now?

21. asniech says:

I don’t know if I’ll watch the show, but I’ll definitely check out the reality checks and reviews that go along with it.

22. TinLV says:

It won’t be live in the Pacific time zone, so just like the ‘twitter save’ on the Voice, west coasters won’t be able to participate live. So not much point in watching unless you live on the east coast.