Emmys

Emmys 2014: Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series -- Our 6 Dream Nominees!

Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
There was a time when Sheldon Cooper was nothing more than a condescending, arrogant know-it-all. Of course, he still is, but in The Big Bang Theory's seventh season, Parsons allowed us a closer look at the complicated man beneath the "Bazinga!" He's still chock-full of sassy one-liners, but he's also stubborn, anxious and, thanks to Parsons' dynamite performance, completely fascinating.

The Big Bang Theory‘s Jim Parsons has taken home three of the last four Emmy statuettes for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series, but Jon Cryer’s win in 2012 for Two and a Half Men proves there’s no such thing as a mortal lock.

More Emmy Races In Review | Outstanding Comedy Series

Whether or not the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences once again honors the man who plays Sheldon Cooper at this year’s ceremony (Monday, Aug. 25 from 8pm ET/5pm PT, to be exact), we’re hoping for a few unexpected names to show up on the ballot alongside him.

RELATED | TCA Awards 2014: True Detective Snags Four Nominations; Good Wife, Breaking Bad Land Three Each

To that end, we’ve taken on the torturous task of narrowing the Best Actor in a Comedy field to six select names — a task that’s almost as difficult as climbing the stairs to the Emmy podium in six-inch heels and a fishtail dress.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

So, click through our gallery (via the blue button underneath the accompanying Big Bang Theory photo or this link) to see if your dream nominees match up with ours, and then hit the comments to tell us where we got it right, which ones we got wrong and what shows you think we snubbed egregiously.

And then check back Wednesday as we reveal our dream picks for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series.

1. Again, and I will do this everytime. BOOOOOO. Return to the old format. Don’t just pick 6 shows, pick 20 or so and discuss them. It was fun seeing why you didn’t think someone would be nominated.

2. Joe says:

while i would love to see adam scott get nominated i doubt it happens. dont trust the emmy voters enough

• Rich Abey says:

I guess he simply doesn’t have the visibility to get a nomination unlike Andy Samberg, who despite being on a low-rated freshman comedy, is much more highly recognized in TV circles which was a main reason for his Globe win.

3. Gon says:

Again no love for Brooklyn nine-nine. Do you guys have something against them or what? I am not a fan of Andy samberg at all but he delivered a solid performance this season over robin williams and I watch both shows

• Fella says:

This. Robin Williams over the best new (and probably overall) comedy on TV? Pfft.

• JJ says:

While definitely agree that B99 is the best new comedy, and a great one worthy of a nom, Veep would like to have a word with you about this OVERALL business.

4. Tom says:

Ty Burell should be nominated every year!

• Rich Abey says:

Exactly! It’s criminal that he isn’t included in this list. Nobody on TV, except for Andre Braugher (Brooklyn 99), can give as good as Ty Burell when it comes to comedy (Jim Parsons is more extraordinary acting than comedy). His acting/timing/physical comedy is spot on every single time.

5. Ron says:

My dream 6 picks:
    – Joel McHale (Community)
    – Adam Scott (Parks & Rec)
    – Andy Samberg (Brooklyn Nine-Nine)
    – Chris O’Dowd (Family Tree)
    – Chris Meloni (Surviving Jack)
    – Jim Jefferies (Legit)

The 6 I think will get nominated:
    – Andy Samberg (Brooklyn Nine-Nine)
    – Jim Parsons (Big Bang Theory)
    – Louis C.K. (Louie)
    – Don Cheadle (House of Lies) *with Matt LeBlanc possibly taking this spot for Episodes*
    – Robin Williams (The Crazy Ones)
    – William H. Macy (Shameless)

6. Merideth says:

I would LOVE to see Chris Messina get a nomination. He was absolutely sensational in Mindy’s fantastic second season. Decent list, but I would swap Robin Williams for Andy Samberg.

• S. says:

Would love Chris Messina to get a nomination as well. Nearly put love in all caps, but I thought you might think I was mocking you. Not mocking. Agreeing. Wholeheartedly. The only question for me would be what episode would he submit after a nomination, not whether he deserves one. “Danny and Mindy” great, he’s got physical comedy, emotion, etc. Then again “Christmas Party Sex Trap” is great too.

7. dessy111 says:

If this list is supposed to be primarily of ‘nominees that we just know the boring Emmys will recognize because they are predictable and don’t know anything but Big Bang Theory and Louie’, then I agree. But dream nominees? No no no. Honestly, the constant noms/wins for TBBT guys and Louis C K bore me. I would love nothing more than to see Chris Messina, Girls’ secret weapon Adam Driver, any of the 3 lead actors on Enlisted, Bradley Whitford from Trophy Wife, Adam Scott, Christopher Meloni from Surviving Jack, The Goldberg’s Troy Gentile e.t.c dominate the awards. You know, actual deserving comedic actors.

• aboutthat says:

Adam Driver was nominated last year but in the Supporting Actor category, which is where he belongs.

• Ally Oop says:

Chris Meloni was great on Surviving Jack but as it was such a short-lived series I doubt it would even get a look at for any Emmys. Troy Gentile, on the other hand, deserves a nom as he was great on The Goldbergs.

• S. says:

Don’t know how to feel here. I don’t get how Louis CK bores you, he’s brilliant. (Maybe you’d prefer his standup to the show “Louie”?) That said you like Chris Messina so obviously we’re BFFs based on that alone and as Mindy taught us Best Friend isn’t a person, it’s a tier. :)

8. Jill says:

I don’t hate the new format, though I preferred having the galleries in the article. However, this is my first time trying to access Tvline on my phone, and I can’t actually read any of the commentary within the gallery. Please fix this so I can enjoy your content.

9. DW says:

Johnny Galecki is way overdue.

• TV Gord says:

Yes! Jim Parsons deserved every one of his wins, and I don’t begrudge him any of them, but Johnny has always been stellar as Leonard (just as he was as David on Roseanne). Johnny certainly deserves to have more than one Emmy on his mantle.

On the other hand, every episode of Louie blows me away. Louis CK is also amazing, so I’m rooting for any of these three. Sentimentally, I want Johnny to win. I’ll be happy if any of them take the statue home, though. (Another sentimental favorite this year: Joel McHale.)

10. Ally Oop says:

One actor I would love to see get a nom would be Troy Gentile who plays Barry on The Goldbergs. He’s a great young comedic actor who always has me laughing.

11. webly3 says:

Wow. Johnny Galecki didn’t deserve a spot over Andy Samberg whose character progressed through the first season in a much more fun way.

12. Aprilcot says:

I’m going to have to chime in with the hate for the new galleries. Awful. Seriously. The colors, opening to a new screen, not knowing when the gallery has ended, not be able to get back to the main article, the scrolling to read the text…just terrible. This has definitely affected how often I visit this site on my phone.

Anyway, my Emmy love goes to Chris Messina and the *long* overdue Adam Scott

13. Vlada says:

That’s dissapointing TVline. I love you, I love reading you, but that much love for TBBT? Ok, I watch it, but this season…ugh! Jim deserves nomination but Johnny Galecki and show itself??? No…yup, no way. #boringThisSeason

14. Dave says:

Jim Parsons doesn’t even deserve the Emmys he already has. The Big Bang Theory is the most overrated show on TV, as is Parsons’ performance. He doesn’t even deserve to be nominated, much less win a fourth Emmy.

15. SJ says:

I don’t understand how that awful Big Bang Theory keeps getting nominated, or the people who star on it. It is the epitome of lowest common denominator comedy. They’ve been doing the same joke (yes, joke singular!) for seven years and the brain dead masses still devour it week after week.

While The Crazy Ones was one of my favorite shows this past season (screw you, CBS!) Robin Williams was the weak link so while I’d nominate the show, I wouldn’t nominate him – or SMG. I would nominate Hamish Linklater, James Wolk and Amanda Setton in their respective categories though.

16. mikoli says:

The Galleries you have are border line a PITA to read and enjoy! I mean really, why do we need to scroll down the images to see the caption??? SO hard to read and such a waste of time. I mean you keep this up and I will be an ex-fan of TV Line. So disappointed…

17. cme says:

I think one of your picks wont get nominated in favor of Andy Samberg. B99 was the best new comedy last season.

18. schu says:

Ty Burrell is still very deserving of a nom. And I’m surprised you guys didn’t mention Andy Samberg too, I’m not a huge fan of his, but B99 proved to be a very enjoyable comedy and he leads the cast very well and I think will get a nom this year.

19. Zoe says:

So was this written before Orange is the New Black announced it was running as a comedy? Because otherwise, I have a bone to pick with you about that. Also, no love for Brooklyn Nine-Nine?

• Zoe says:

I don’t know how this got into the comments section on best Comedic Actor, but… yeah. Also, TVLine’s choices for best comedic actors are off too. They’re all safe, and frankly boring nominees.

While Jim Parsons is a deserving actor, the guy’s won far too many times already, and his turn on SNL worries me about his range. (At least, he’s won too many times for playing Sheldon. His performance on the HBO production of The Normal Heart, on the other hand… that I wouldn’t mind seeing.) Johnny Galecki- I mean, sure, why not, but The Big Bang Theory has devolved into a sexist mess of a show as of late. I can’t really say anything for the other guys you picked, except for Robin Williams. Robin Williams is one of the best actors alive, so- yeah. I agree with that.

Personally, I’d like to see Chris Meloni get a nod for Surviving Jack. The guy is wicked talented as both a dramatic actor and a comedic one- and even if I admittedly still would like him to return to SVU, I’d love to see him win an Emmy for something.

20. N tTVf says:

I’d like to see Josh Radnor get a nomination in this category for HIMYM. Last chance for him for this series, and I just think he really did good work in S9, regardless of how fans felt about the final season and the finale, no one (*no one*) does those ‘end of my rope’ type speeches better than JR.

Those couple of scenes alone – the one on the bridge with Crazy Jeanette in ‘Sunrise’, the beach scene w/Robin in ‘Sunrise’, and the scene with Robin in the waiting room in ‘End of the Isle’ – no one does those better. Comedy, with heart and soul completely exposed – that was ‘Ted’ and JR’s best work. He deserves at least a nomination. If he doesn’t get one, I’d want to see NPH get one – his work, also quite strong in S9 – perhaps in supporting actor category. Same for Cobie Smulders – a best supporting actress nomination, with particular focus on her fine work in ‘Sunrise’, ‘Daisy’, and ‘End of the Isle.’

21. NYCER says:

Chris Messina’s Danny Castellano was beyond brilliant in the second season of THE MINDY PROJECT. But the Emmys tend to be myopic and repetitive. If the Emmys actually gave awards based on merit, then Messina should get a nod. Ditto with Louis CK and Adam Scott. It’s boring to see the same tired list of nominees get the nods year after year,

22. Rich Abey says:

My dream 6:
    – Andy Samberg (Brooklyn 99)
    – Jim Parsons
    – Adam Scott (Parks & Rec)
    – Robin Williams (The Crazy Ones)
    – Louie C.K (Louie)
    – Johnny Galecki

23. Miranda says:

Yeah I’m not feeling this new format either. There really isn’t much room here for discussion or debate and you’re just ignoring some far more worthy dream nominees (based on reader feedback too).

24. David J. says:

I have watched probably an unhealthy amount to television (good and bad) over the past year and you really are overlooking the best. I can’t even get the list down to 6. 7 is the best I can do:

William H. Macy (Shameless)
    Sean Giambrone (The Goldbergs)
    John Goodman (Alpha House)
    Matt Malloy (Alpha House)
    Bradley Whitford (Trophy Wife)
    Louis C.K. (Louie)
    Ed O’Neill (Modern Family)

25. Britta Unfiltered says:

I was really hoping you would have Stephen Merchant in here. [cry cry]. That is who I am rooting for to win, but…I know he probably won’t even be nominated since he was on a canceled show. I am also rooting for Louis C.K., Joel McHale, William H. Macy, and Matt LeBlanc (“Thank you, Peru!”) I will probably only see Louis C.K. and Matt LeBlanc nominated, though I think William H. Macy has a slight chance. Don Cheadle, Jim Parsons, and Andy Samberg probably round out that category.

26. Tran says:

Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory), Andy Samberg (Brooklyn Nine Nine), Don Cheadle (House of Lies), William H. Macy (Shameless), Robin Williams (The Crazy Ones) and Will Arnett (The Millers).

27. Nell P says:

What is wrong with this site? >.<
    None. James Spader and/or Simon Baker for me.