Game of Thrones Favorite Joins Star Wars VII Cast

EE British Academy Film Awards 2014 - Red Carpet Arrivals

It’s rare-like-a-unicorn that TVLine has cause to report on a movie casting, but then Game of Thrones‘ warrior Brienne of Tarth up and lands a role in the ridiculously anticipated Star Wars VII.

RELATED | Kim Roots’ Complete Game of Thrones Recap: Snake Eyes!

Lucasfilm has announced that Gwendoline Christie — who joined Thrones early in Season 2 — will appear in the first film of the new Star Wars trilogy, as will Academy Award winner Lupita Nyong’o (12 Years a Slave).

“I could not be more excited about Lupita and Gwendoline joining the cast of Episode VII,” Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy said in a statement. “It’s thrilling to see this extraordinarily talented ensemble taking shape.”

Director J.J. Abrams presumably laughs in the general direction of your inquiry about what roles either actress will be playing.

Christie and Nyong’o join a cast that includes John Boyega (24: Live Another Day), Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver (Girls), Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, Max von Sydow and Star Wars vets Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker.

Currently filming in Abu Dhabi, Star Wars VII is slated to hit theaters December 18, 2015.

1. MrScreenAddict says:

So… Brienne of Darth?

2. BiancaHorkan says:

I think Christie would make an incredible Sith. It’s the first thing I though of when I saw her name linked with Episode VII.

• Aleric says:

There are no Sith, the last one died with Vader and the Emperor, remember, no EU material is suppose to be in this series since it is now Verboten.

• Trenton says:

If there are Jedi there can always be sith as it’s about good and evil who a person is and what they choose to be.

3. Trenton says:

Still trying to piece together how this all fits. I think it would be awesome if either John or Lupita or both would be Lando’s kids. Maybe both as twins as this story is known to have. Gwendoline as Brienne is so good at being noble and brave but always in conflict…I could see her as a Jedi maybe Leias child it as a Jedi in conflict with the dark side. I’m really happy for the actress however, she does such a good job on thrones and is actually quite pretty when not brienned up.

4. Azerty says:

For one moment I tought the very talented Peter Dinklage would be the new Sith but I guess he can’t spread the awesomeness everywhere. She is a good actress in Game of Thrones so one more reason to be excited for the new SW.

5. Thea says:

I was raised in a family of Star Wars lovers, though it never took with me the way it captured my step-father, sister and brothers. I can appreciate the first trilogy, but have only watched the last movie of the second (by force). That said, the way the casting is shaping up it doesn’t seem like it will be such a chore to watch this one when it will undoubtedly be played over and over again for in depth analysis once the DVD comes out.

6. Joey says:

Love Gwendoline but really don’t like Star Wars. Still wish her all the best though.

7. Scott Johnston says:

I wonder if this is part of the reason the British kids show she’s in has been delayed and has a reduced episode count. It must be a total nightmare scheduling around very busy actors.

8. cjeffery7 says:

LOL her smirk in that thumbnail is like “yes i did just get cast in Star Wars. because i’m just that good.”

9. qj201 says:

She was amazing in her two series run on the Brit kid show Wizards vs Aliens (as a lizard like alien), her story arc in the second series was heartbreaking (she is banished to another dimension to live as a human).

10. Bark Star says:

Doesnt matter who gets cast. As long as Abrams does it, its gonna be crap. And its gonna look just as bad as the new TVLine website style.

11. iberios says:

Trenton; try to remember that jedi and sith aren’t species, they are merely religions. aleric is technically correct, there are no more sith, but there are still villains! lol and they will probably have a story arc where someone is trying to learn the old sith ways with holocron reading or something. but for me I would like to see gwendolin playing a jedi

12. Will this movie have anything to do with Star Wars?

13. Jim Fair says:

I had no idea she was so sexy under all of that armor.

14. I am a huge star wars fan since the start and I cannot wait to see what happens

15. Jason Bowen says:

well, we know she can handle a sword…err…a light saber.