Emmys

Emmys 2014: Outstanding Comedy Series -- Our 6 Dream Nominees!

THE MINDY PROJECT
The best romantic comedy of 2014 didn't take place on the big screen, but instead aired Tuesday nights on Fox. Indeed, The Mindy Project's vastly improved sophomore season focused squarely on its flawed, titular heroine's search for love -- a quest that led her to the top of the Empire State Building (and the arms of her irascible/adorable coworker, Dr. Danny Castellano). Better still, the overarching love story never got in the way of our central lovebirds (or their merry band of supporting players) delivering rapid-fire scalpel-sharp zingers on the regular.

The Emmys are coming! The Emmys are coming!

OK, maybe we sound a wee bit hysterical, considering there are still 85 days until NBC broadcasts the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences’ annual kudos-fest (Monday, Aug. 25 from 8pm ET/5pm PT, to be exact).

RELATED | TCA Awards 2014: True Detective Snags Four Nominations; Good Wife, Breaking Bad Land Three Each

But then again, given that many of our favorite shows and stars get snubbed on an annual basis — we’re still waiting for just one acting nomination for SyFy’s late, great Battlestar Galactica reboot, by the bye — we figured there’s no time like the present to get our advocacy under way.

RELATED | Emmys: True Detective to Compete as Drama Series, Versus Entering Less-Crowded Mini Race

We’re kicking things off today with our dream nominees for Outstanding Comedy Series — and trust us, narrowing it down to six candidates was not an easy task.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

So, click through our gallery (via the blue button underneath the accompanying Mindy Project photo or this link) to see if your dream nominees match up with ours, and then hit the comments to tell us where we got it right, which ones we got wrong and what shows you think we snubbed egregiously. (And remember: While some of our omissions may have you upset, there’s no way we’re as bad as Emmy insiders who failed to give Roseanne a single Best Comedy Series nomination after nine groundbreaking seasons, right?)

And then check back Tuesday as we reveal our dream picks for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series.

1. Parker says:

Where is Parks and Recreation???
    ??????????????

2. DL says:

Any way you guys can bring back the integrated gallery? The new format feels a little clunky.

• I second that – the descriptions are way too far below the photos. So far I was wondering if there even were any descriptions at first.

• Nancy says:

I third that! I love this website but do not like the new design! Even the colors are not pleasing like the original site.

• S. says:

I’m just grateful that I can click from one to the other without the whole page resetting to the top and making me scroll back down again. So many websites make it miserable to go through their slideshows.

3. Michelle says:

Shameless
    Orange is the New Black
    Brooklyn Nine Nine
    Veep
    The Big Bang Theory

6. EJ386 says:

Really hoping for Shameless to win. by far the best.

7. SJ says:

I’m really hating this new layout. It strains the eyes and it’s really clunky. Also, it’s kind of a cheap trick to get more clicks by putting the gallery on a separate page.

I also liked it when you had more nominees and then you had your six “dream” nominees.

My nominees are: Veep (winner), Parks and Rec, The Crazy Ones, Trophy Wife, The Mindy Project, Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Out of the shows that I listed only Veep and B99 are likely to get nominated. TMP is a long-shot, P&R is past its prime and TCO and TW are cancelled so their respective networks won’t be campaigning for them.

I just hope Modern Family doesn’t win. I like the show, but it ain’t all that. And it already hurts that it has won more Emmys than 30 Rock, especially because 30 Rock was nominated each year that MF won.

8. Zac says:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine and maybe Enlisted (if it’s eligible)

9. cme says:

If only HIMYM had a solid final season.
    But for me it’s gonna be:
    Veep
    Louie
    B99
    Enlisted
    Modern Family
    The Mindy Project
    Awkward (if it can squeeze in that 2% ruling or something.)

10. John says:

Let’s be honest. Modern Family is probably going to win again just because it’s Modern Family.

For what it’s worth though, my noms would go to:
    -Parks and Rec
    -Brooklyn 99
    -Shameless
    -TBBT
    -Orange Is the New Black
    -Veep (2014 Emmy Winner)

11. David4 says:

What a surprise I can’t see a thing from my iPhone.

12. BOOOOOO. I miss your old way of doing this, where you had 20 shows (or so) and discussed each one.. and often times offered commentary on why you didn’t pick the show as your dream nominee. I don’t like that you just list six nominees. It’s lazy…

13. Diz says:

Goldberg’s was the most laugh out loud funny comedy for me this season. It’s not even listed and I have to go on some other dumb page to even view the lackluster list of unfunny comedies that were picked.

14. Nabil says:

Seriously? only SIX???? Why did y’all not list ALL of the comedy series with commentary for each one? it was much more through!

My 6 (or 7 if there is one that is a result of the 2% rule) are:

Parks and Rec
    Veep
    Louie
    About a Boy
    The Big Bang Theory
    Brooklyn Nine-Nine
    Orange is the new Black

15. Chris says:

Don’t hate the new layout like others, but do wish you had all the shows and comments, but then also your dream nominees mentioned.

Here is mine, knowing that only TBBT will be nom’d:
    Big Bang Theory
    Inside Amy Schumer
    Trophy Wife
    Enlisted
    Cougar Town
    How I Met Your Mother

16. Michael says:

Broad City…the funniest show on TV.

17. Daniel says:

I seriously couldn’t find the gallery as I thought it would just be integrated in the article. Also, when I’m done going through it, I suddenly got a previous gallery! This was not the case on the old site and I am not a fan of the new way. Please integrate the gallery and have it end when it ends!

18. Terese says:

Why is The Middle consistently overlooked? One of the funniest shows on television!

19. origo says:

don’t get me wrong i like the show, but mindy project over brooklyn nine-nine? that’s messed up, mindy project is a decent comedy but the show is often predictable and cheesy and only started to find its footing in the second half of season 2. and you include the big bang theory, too which the most overrated comedy that overshadow the more deserved ones. i hope the emmy didn’t follow your list completely and B-99 will get nominated this year.

• S. says:

It’s more than decent, it’s excellent. I like B99 too and it’s weird not to see it up here, but no need to run down Mindy which isn’t that predictable (I mean it’s got rom com elements but it sends them up, plus it’s not like Shakespeare was original. Most shows have predictable elements to them–even Scandal. I can predict some crazy plot twist where someone dies is gonna happen periodically. This is about execution). You predicted that Mindy would go to Haiti? That Danny would give her a dance for Secret Santa? I’m sure B99’s more likely to get an Emmy nom because of the Golden Globe win giving it some heat but TMP deserves something. If nothing else, noms for Mindy and Chris Messina. Chris rocked it so hard this year.

20. Ron says:

My 6 dream comedy picks would go to:
    – Community
    – Parks & Rec
    – Louie
    – Modern Family
    – Brooklyn Nine-Nine
    – Orange is the New Black

The 6 I think will probably get nominated:
    – Modern Family (with the likely win)
    – The Big Bang Theory
    – Veep (with a potential MF upset)
    – Orange is the New Black
    – Brooklyn Nine-Nine
    – Louie

• Angela says:

I would be so thrilled to see “Community” win at least one of the big awards this year. They’re long overdue for one.

21. Ally Oop says:

The only one of the above comedies I actually watched is Big Bang Theory which continues to make me love. Other comedies on tv I watched were Surviving Jack, The Goldbergs, Trophy Wife, How I Met Your Mother and occasional episodes of Mom, Raising Hope and The Crazy Ones. Out of all those I would have to give the Emmy to Big Bang Theory as it has the whole package: great multi-layered characters, laugh-outloud funniness and interesting storylines.

22. Rich Abey says:

I don’t watch Shameless, Mindy Project or Inside Amy Shumer so I can’t comment on their selections. I loved Veep & Louie but was dissapointed with BBT. I agree that BBT underwent serious character development this season, it doesn’t warrant an Emmy nomination simply because it didn’t serve it’s main purpose: being a comedy, as in making us laugh. While it had some genuinely funny episodes like the Thanksgiving one, they were too rare for my liking. The main strength of BBT has been it’s comedy and this season has been a big bust, with old jokes not being funny anymore due to over usage or new jokes simply not working.
    My dream 6 (though a few of them are not so dreamy as they are Emmy regulars):
    – Parks & Rec
    – Modern Family
    – Louie
    – Veep
    – Brooklyn Nine-Nine
    – The Goldbergs

23. Tom Charles says:

Swap out Inside Amy Schumer with Community and Shameless with Parks and Rec you’re good in my books.

And lest you think I’m denying Inside Amy Schumer an Emmy, you’re wrong. Wouldn’t it be better to be nominated in the Variety category? Or is it known that it’s trying in the comedy category?

24. If Modern Family wins again over The Big Bang Theory it will be an insult to common sense…

25. Francine says:

It is strange to have Shameless in the comedy category when it had its most serious season yet…. But I just want it to be recognized for something.

• Joey says:

I know right. Shameless is one of the best shows on TV, and it’s constantly overlooked. Really hoping for Emmy Rossum, Jeremy Allen White, and especially Noel Fisher to score nominations this year.

26. S. says:

-Girls (c’mon, this was the best and the funniest season so far)
    -Parks and Recreation (it was the weakest season, but they still were few episodes, that deserves to get a nomination)
    -Orange is the New Black

I don’t care about anything else.

27. Fran says:

Mine would be:
    Broad City
    Parks & Recreation
    Brooklyn 9-9
    Looking
    Orange Is The New Black
    The Mindy Project

28. Spencer says:

No Parks and Rec? But hey- thank God we still have Big Bang Theory, a show that has lost any fragment of humor two years ago.

29. Chris G. says:

The Middle – show the Hecks some love!

30. Lisa says:

I also really like the old layout much much better!!!
    My picks:
    Orange is the New Black
    Shameless (which should win!)
    The Big Bang Theory
    Louie
    Parks and Recreation
    How I Met Your Mother (Despite that atrocious ending, it was still one of the better comedies on television this year)

31. Pat says:

I am a Big Bang fan, so I am rooting for them. I am also a Modern Family fan and if they win I will also be happy.

32. wordsmith says:

I would have thought that Inside Amy would be submitted under the variety show category like SNL.

33. Avais says:

How is Review With Forrest MacNeil not there?!

34. Seven says:

I too miss the old layout and listing all nominees.

Parks & Rec

Big Bang Theory
    Veep

Honorable Mentions:
    Inside Amy Schumer
    Trophy Wife
    Modern Family

By the way, if anything is taking down Modern Family, then it will be Orange Is the New Black.

36. Tis very annoying that I have to scroll back through the images to come to this coments section, anyway of having the slideshow in the article like previous?

37. A says:

MINDY PROJECT SHOULD WIN HANDS DOWN!

38. Nate says:

The inclusion of the terrible, terrible, lowest common denominator comedy of Big Bang Theory invalidates this entire article, especially in light of the lack of Parks & Recreation, Brooklyn 99, and Archer.

39. IC says:

You guys missed Beauty and the BEAST.

40. Hannah says:

The Mindy Project is my favorite show on TV right now BY FAR!!

41. Aprilcot says:

I refuse to look through this gallery in response to this awful new format. Please, PLEASE change it to something more user friendly! I love this site, and come here multiple times a day…I’d hate to have to start going somewhere else that’s more user friendly.
    Here are my picks:
    Parks & Rec
    Veep
    Brooklyn 99
    The Mindy Project
    Orange is the New Black
    Community
    It’s a toss up between P&R and Veep for me, but I’ll give the edge to P&R, simply because their recognition is SO long overdue.

42. Miranda says:

Yes, a thousand times yes for The Mindy Project!

43. Britta Unfiltered says:

I feel like I haven’t really been into comedies this year. Even my excitement for Louie is waning. The only ones I care about seeing getting nominated are Veep, Orange is the New Black, Hello Ladies, and Shameless. Maaaaaaybe Community. But I know I’m only going to get my way on Veep and possibly Orange is the New Black. I think also they will nominate Modern Family, Louie, The Big Bang Theory, and I can’t decide if Girls or Brooklyn 99 gets that last spot. Right now I’m leaning towards Brooklyn 99.

44. Tran says:

The Big Bang Theory, Brooklyn Nine Nine, Girls, Modern Family, Orange is the New Black and Veep.

45. HAP says:

Alpha House is a very funny show!

46. Dave says:

Big Bang is unnecessary. Very unfunny. The rest are good. Big Bang can easily be replaced with Parks and Rec, Brooklyn, Portlandia. Any one of those works, too. Although, I’m not sure what category Portlandia falls into. Could be variety. Ah, well.

47. Dave says:

Silicon Valley’s good, too.