The Arsenio Hall Show Cancelled

arsenio

Looks like Jay Leno might’ve spoken too soon.

Though the recent late-night retiree swung by The Arsenio Hall Show in February to announce its renewal, CBS Television Distribution has chosen not to move forward with a second season of Hall’s syndicated gabfest.

RELATED | TBS Renews Conan Through 2018

According to Variety, which first reported the cancellation, the network said in a statement that the talk show “did not grow its audience enough” to warrant continued production.

Hall made a name for himself in late night when he presided over the first incarnation of his show from 1989-1994. Though a 1997 sitcom called Arsenio failed, he reclaimed some fame by winning Celebrity Apprentice in 2012.

1. Jared says:

No surprise there. It was terrible.

2. David4 says:

It was really bad, never knew it was a CBS made show. I always though Fox was making it only for themselves.

3. More importantly. What the hell happened to TV Line??

4. I tried watching it for the first month but it was brutal.

5. Steve F. says:

Sucks for Arsenio, but let’s be honest… the show sucked. I was hoping he would get Leno as a guest, though.

6. Fairy says:

Well, crap. However, I’m in agreement with everyone else, it was god-awful. I wanted to love it. I tried so hard to just plain like it. But it was really, truly poorly executed. I like Arsenio so much. But this was not good. And the promotion was even worse, IMO. A terrible combination, indeed. Sorry, Arsenio, find a way to come back and try again.

7. Behzad says:

Arsenio is meant for better projects anyway. In fact, if Colbert is taking over for Letterman, who’s taking over for Colbert?

• Behzad says:

Scratch that, just remembered they have that show with Larry Wilmore. It’s fine, I’m sure there’s a better way for him to come back.

8. roadi says:

He starred in 2 seasons of “Martial Law” as co-lead next to Sammo Hung… not the most intelligent show, but I liked it a lot as teenager.^^

9. Tran says:

I’m 100% shocked about the news. Guess Leno prove himself wrong.

10. Gerald Mills says:

Why did the net work first say it was renewed?

• TV Gord says:

It wasn’t the CBS network. It was CBS Television Distribution, which is the syndication arm of CBS. It was a syndicated show.

11. why2u says:

I think the problem was he did the show like he did in the 90’s . It almost looked liked the same set. He needed to add some new ideas etc.

12. Denise says:

I think it’s really sad that Arsenio Hall has been taken off the air.he is better than the rest of the late talk show host this out there.now he need to go to Oprah Winfrey net workand .and do would he love the most being a good host. Arsenio Hall I will always always be a fan of your’s and I will miss seeing you on late night TV.

13. Denise says:

I think it’s really sad that Arsenio Hall has been taken off the air.he is better than the rest of the late talk show host that is out there.now he need to go to Oprah Winfrey net workand .and do would he love the most being a good host. Arsenio Hall I will always always be a fan of your’s and I will miss seeing you on late night TV.

14. Kim R says:

I’m not surprised at all. He seemed very aware of himself on camera more so than interviewing the guests. Although I only watched a few episodes when he had guests on I wanted to see.

15. keith says:

Maybe one white guest would have helped.

• Ann says:

Keith there were lots of guests of all races on the show. Or are Eric stonestreet and Timothy Olyphant not white. Also had guys from the Suns of anarchy, crossbones, justified, and walking dead. Want me to keep going? And the killer part is I’m sleep when Arsino comes on. All of this was in commercials. Maybe don’t project your bias when commenting. Want me to name the Hispanics and asians?

• Reno says:

Yeah I wanted to watch Anthony Hopkins when they interviewed him but all they kept showing was the back of his head! While they showed Arsenio s face looking bored at him.!
      I’ve worked with “tony” he likes to called . He’s a fascinating interesting person . He is loving and kind to all god bless Anthony Hopkins. We wanted to see his face on the Arsenio show not the back of his head for god sake!

16. Kai says:

Make moves to another network Arsenio and come back revamped stronger than ever! I felt like much of the material sucked..that he was given to work with. I do like him as a talk show host. Lose the skits and the corny jokes..(you look uncomfortable performing them half the time so it doesn’t come across as natural) hire new writers.. maybe new production team… Be confident..comfortable ..and emerge… Network shouldn’t have allowed announcement fir Season 2 to be made if they weren’t going to proceed forward! Id you can’t do major Prime-time Network do Cable based show for now.

• Reno says:

The networks need to bring back our friend and your friend “Jay Leno” even when you talk with Jay in person he makes you crack up laughing Jay is gifted talented!

17. Eloise says:

Arsenio was good but writers for material corney also time slot was not the best. News at 11:00. Give him another time and let him be the host instead of those skits. Be more original and up to date. Hate yo see him go I watch him fately every night.

18. SK says:

And to think Trump chose him as the winner of Celebrity Apprentice because he thought Arsenio will be a good show promoter. Bah! Clay Aiken should have won that. He was so much better on that show than Arsenio.

19. Dr. Enie says:

The show lacked diversity.mwrsenio never seemed to”grab” the audience. His material was not good. Imhopedmthatit would have worked and with a more exciting format.

20. Jason says:

Thank freaking god!! No offense, but the show was horrid. Arsenio seems like an awesome guy but his comedy is… Well… Is that’s what you want to call it, and the whole thing just didn’t seem natural, ever, it always seemed like he was trying waaaayyyy too hard.

21. MARCIA PARRISH says:

Arsenio had the best late nite t.v. show. Who makes these decisions to pull an excellent show like Arsenio’s– relevant guests and informative yet hilarious interviews, intelligent conversations, great entertainment, etc. Yet, some corny and lame other late night hosts gets all kinds of opportunities!

22. Corey brown says:

The show was a good blast from the past to try to keep up
    With this new generation of computer rulers. The times have changed, I can relate to the show I’m 44 but the new generation can’t . We loved the hype back then they can’t relate to the movement. Being black and staying black is all it’s about. We gona always come back and give it all we got, arsenio thanks for giving us some of that classy stuff peace.

23. S Englehart says:

CBS that was a stupid move I am showing protest for that decision .

• Reno says:

CBS is channel 2. The senio show was on ktla channel 5 that is why it failed with low ratings . Ktla hardly promoted the senio show there was no interest by except bothering senio and his staff for tickets , autographs, fotos there was no way they could concentrate on the senio show. If the senio show had been done at the big CBS studios on Beverly bl then it would have been a high rated hit!

24. Pineapple says:

I watched it to put me to sleep at night.

25. Pineapple says:

Kind of disappointed though ’cause I really wanted to see something different on the untalented night shows. Now that Arsenio is off I’ll listen to the radio instead. All of the night talk shows suck. Arsenio’s wasn’t the only one.

26. Catherine Saunders says:

Sorry to see the Arsenio Hall show cancelled. Maybe if it was not so late, he would have gotten more viewers. I hope he comes back.

27. Reno says:

The showed failed because it was on the wrong channel ktla did not support the senio show they did not support it enough . They never talked up interest about the senio show like the other channels talk up interest in their shows. That is done on purpose! plus their employees kept bugging them for their family friends to get seats into the show. They were too much of a distraction to senio and his staff so they could not concentrate on putting on a great show . If the senio show would have been done at successful studios like NBC, CBS, or warner brothers the Arsenio Show would have succeeded!

28. Reno says:

The Arsenio show failed because of Ktla’s fault. They should have done it at NBC, CBS or warner brothers studios to succeed !

29. seo says:

Every weekend i used to pay a visit this site, for
    the reason that i wish for enjoyment, since this this web site conations
    in fact good funny information too.

30. Nubyan says:

Very true. But at the same time most shows do focus on a certain demographic…such as 20+, 30+ or socio-groups, etc. I do agree however that they need to appeal to a wide variety of people within those demographics and give it an all-inclusive feel. I wanted so much for his show to succeed but from watching a few episodes I knew it wouldn’t last. I hope he’ll be able to move on to other more successful projects.

31. Gene Propes says:

20 years ago all we had was block buster, Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo and a few cable channels.. Now we have Net flix, Play Station 4, PC gamming, Xbox one and over 500 channels. I was having challenges if I wanted to watch him or do all these other fun things. I wanted to watch like I did every night 20 years ago but now days ways so many other fun things to do at night.