Killer Breaking Bad Twist: Could Walter White Have Survived?

Breaking Bad Series Finale

Throughout Breaking Bads five-season run, drug kingpin Walter White got himself out of a lot of tight, seemingly hopeless situations.

But did he cheat death? Star Bryan Cranston says maybe.

RELATED | TCA Awards: Breaking Bad Lands Three Nominations

While plugging his new action flick Godzilla on CNN Thursday, Cranston indulged host Ashleigh Banfield’s questions about whether Heisenberg might’ve lived through what — to most of the audience — seemed like his final moments at the end of the AMC series’ finale.

Though cancer sufferer/gunshot victim Walter fell to the ground as the police narrowed in on him, Cranston reluctantly acknowledged that there’s the tiniest of chances the chemistry-teacher-turned-meth-maker might’ve survived.

RELATEDBetter Call Saul: TV Vet Michael McKean Joins Breaking Bad Prequel

“You never saw a bag zip up or anything,” he says, smiling. “Never say never.”

Also in the interview, Cranston discusses playing The X-Files‘ Patrick Crump, a one-off role for which “I just happened to have the right hair” — and which first put him into contact with Vince Gilligan, his future Bad boss.

Do you think/hope Walter might’ve survived? Press PLAY on the video, then sound off in the comments!

1. M says:

When I initially watched the finale, I was under the impression that he collapsed on the ground and gave up, and that he was arrested. I didn’t realize the alternative until I read on Twitter what other people were thinking.

• tompkinsk1 says:

He was shot by a Giant machine gun bullet in the gut. He was bleeding out quite heavily and collapsed to the floor where you can see the blood puddle forming. He also doesn’t blink and looks very lifeless, the cops don’t even both checking his pulse.

2. Possible, yes. Likely, nah.

3. Big Mike says:

Let’s not start THIS again….

4. Alan says:

I never thought he died until I read the reviews from TV critics calming that he was unequivocally dead. When the final credits rolled, it seemed open ended to me.

5. Hamish says:

The people at Breaking Bad could teach a class on how to write a good series finale. I could name a few shows which could use the class, starting with How I Met Your Mother…

6. wrstlgirl says:

I think it was purposely left open to viewer interpretation. I personally thought he died. The end of Heisenberg, final credits, show over.

• KevyB says:

It didn’t really matter. The cops were arriving so if he was alive, he’s recuperating in prison. But I always felt like Walt’s cancer came back. It was never said out loud, but the doctor’s appointment and Skyler saying she was waiting for him to die of cancer were in there for a reason. Every scene in that show meant something. During the finale, it felt to me that Walter knew the end was near, and he decided to go out by fixing some of the crap he screwed up. Dead by gunshot or not, he was going to be dead soon anyhow.

7. Martoukian says:

It doesn’t matter whether I think he might’ve lived–the show is over. He’s still lying on the ground.

8. David4 says:

He’s dead Jim.

9. It’s kind of moot. Even if the piece of M60 bullet didn’t shred his insides and the ambulance came in time to get him enough blood and get him to surgery right away, it’s highly unlikely he would be able to beat a resurgence of lung cancer. That was his last card to play. He went into that meeting expecting everyone, including himself, to die. Even in the unlikely event he can beat the cancer, how would he get out of police custody?

• michael says:

WALTER WHITE IS TO DARN LUCKY TO HAVE DIED. IM SURE HE WAS TAKEN INTO CUSTODY AND SENT TO A HOSPITAL FOR HIS WOUNDS. I THINK HE PROBABLY ESCAPED THE OSPITAL AFTER RECOVERY AND IS FIGHTING THE CANCER. NO TELLING WHERE HE IS BUT HE WILL POP UP WHEN LEAST EXPECTED. EVEN THOUGH UNLIKELY, MAYBE THERE WILL BE A SEQUEL TO THE SERIES IN WHICH WALTER IS FULL BLOWN BAD. YOU CAN’T KILL OFF A CHARACTER LIKE WALTER WHITE, HE DOESNT DIE. YOULL SEE HIM AGAIN MAKING AMC A BUTTLOAD OF MONEY IN A SERIES DOWN THE ROAD. MAYBE A SPIN OFF OF THE SPIN OFF BETTER CALL SAUL

• paul says:

Jack Bauer

10. I hope he really died. It would ruin the finale for me if he didn’t.

11. RockGolf says:

The last page of the written script made it quite clear Walter had died. His “eyes are lifeless… his final expression is one of faint satisfaction.”

Gilligan ‘s last two paragraphs were:
    “POLICE OFFICERS approach him now — four, six, eight of them. They move cautiously, their guns aimed.
    “They’re too late. He got away.”

12. Emgee says:

I think it’s possible, but I largely think the intent of the creators was that he died.

13. DavidSask says:

The show needs to RIP as the greatness it was enough about teasers of show return and interesting if prequel will do well?!

14. I figured if he wasn’t dead then, he would have died very shortly thereafter because his cancer was back and he wasn’t getting any treatment.

Either way, he’s dead.

15. No, When Breaking Bad wrapped Vince Gilligan said Walt is dead. There is no ambiguity, no unanswered questions. Walt is dead, it’s over.

16. chris says:

It was the perfect show. Let Walter rest in peace.

17. Mr Winslow says:

Walter White is not dead. He was caught sent to jail and continues to be the same bad ass from jail. Can u imagine the plots and story lines? I’m writing them now

18. Walter Riley says:

Folks, it’s a TV show. Stop being so rational as to say that if he was alive that he’d be in prison. We’re talking about Walter White here. He’s gotten himself out of one or two sticky situations before.

19. WaltIsDead says:

oh my god this is so stupid! NO ONE loves Breaking Bad more than me. NO ONE. But it is very obvious that Bryan was just messing around in that interview. Besides, Vince is right. Do you really want Walt to live so he can die of cancer in prision??

20. WaltIsDead says:

oh my god this is so stupid! NOONE loves Breaking Bad more than me. NOONE. But it is very obvious that Bryan was just messing around in that interview. Besides, Vince is right. Do you really want Walt to live so he can die of cancer in prison?!

21. Steve says:

Give it a couple years when the money looks really good.