Ratings: AGT Returns Strong, Night Shift Has a Pulse, Harry Shedding

America's Got Talent - Season 9

Say what you will about America’s Got Talent, but it’s still got an audience.

NBC’s summertime staple returned on Tuesday night to 11.9 million total viewers and a 3.0 demo rating, up in audience and off just a tenth from its year-ago premiere (which had The Voice‘s Top 6 results show as a lead-in).

Leading out of that, The Night Shift — which TVLine readers gave an average grade of “B-“ — debuted to 7.8 mil (a 16-week high in total audience for the time slot) and a 1.6 rating aka the No. 2 summer drama debut for any network in four years/since Rookie Blue, trailing only Under the Dome.

RELATED | NBC’s The Night Shift: Will You Clock In?

Over on ABC, Extreme Weight Loss (3.9 mil/1.3) gained a tenth versus its previous premiere, while Celeb Wife Swap (3.7 mil/1.2) surged more than 30 percent, hitting season highs.

Fox’s Riot (1.4 mil/0.6) ticked up a tenth from its weeks-ago premiere, while I Wanna Marry ‘Harry’ (1.2 mil/0.4) dropped 37 and 43 percent from its aprés-American Idol launch.

1. wrstlgirl says:

I was hoping The Night Shift would show some life. I think it will be a fun little summer show. Especially with the addition of Scott Wolf and an appearance by Luke Macfarlane :-)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I agree — for a stock summertime medical drama, we could do worse. Plus I like how the cast isn’t the same old faces. AND: JILL FLINT.

• wrstlgirl says:

It took me about half the show before I figured out where I had seen her before. I suppose at some point everyone’s favorite guest star Mark Pellegrino will have to check into the ER.

• PJ says:

I’d rather see Jill Flint back on The Good Wife.

2. ChicagoDan says:

I read this is the lowest rated premier of AGT. I guess it’s a good headline when it’s copied from another site that used the same word in the headline, rather than publishing actual facts.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

And if it adjusts up a tenth in finals, it’s not. Plus, this year AGT opened the night versus having a late-season VOICE results show as its lead-in. All things are relative, “Dan.”

• syb says:

Did you read the numbers or just the headlines?

3. Boiler says:

How do Harry and Wife Swap get any viewers. How embarrassing for the American public?

• Elyse says:

I was going to comment and agree with you but I watch CBS shows like Big Brother, Survivor and the Amazing Race so I really can’t talk lol

• wrstlgirl says:

LOL, bring on Big Brother! I hope the cast is better than last season, those peeps were ridiculous. And no relatives of Brenchel please. I’m so sick of those two :-) I love Survivor and sometimes watch The Bachelor mainly because it’s excellent comedy.

4. Coal says:

Good for Night Shift, Rookie Blue does well for ABC during the Summer, I hope they let it prosper too.

5. kate'shomesick says:

I am rooting for The night shift…after Majandra being unjustly cancelled (FWBL really got into a groove and she is fabulous)…I hop Brendan Fehr stands a chance!

6. Maryann says:

I really love The Night Shift. Here’s hoping the ratings hold!

7. Pat says:

I finally had a chance to watch the Night Shift, this morning. I really give it a thumbs up. It was pretty good and I most definitely will but this on my to watch list.