Report: Hulu May Rescue Community

Community Ratings Low

Less than three weeks after NBC dropped the axe on Community, there is talk of a possible Season 6 — though at a new home.

RELATED | Community Season 6 on Another Network? Dan Harmon ‘Won’t Stand in the Way’

Our sister site Deadline is reporting that “preliminary” talks are being held between Sony Pictures Television, which produces Community, and the streaming video service Hulu, to deliver fresh adventures for the Greendale Gang.

Series creator Dan Harmon reportedly would be involved in the possible continuation — as he had indicated earlier this month, saying he “won’t be lukewarm” about such an idea. “I’m not going to be the guy that recancels cancelled Community.

The salvation scenario would be akin to how Netflix plucked the cult-hit comedy Arrested Development (whose corpse of course had grown much colder than Community‘s) from the ashes and funded production on a new batch of episodes.

Would you like to see Community go back to school on Hulu? Or have you gotten comfortable with the hashtag #FiveSeasonsWasFine?

1. M says:

Please please please please please

2. Christina Reynolds says:

Yay!

3. only if Dan Harmon is involed…. remember season 4??

4. Elyse says:

oh hellz yes!

5. #sixseasonsandamovie

6. thundy08 says:

Yes, a million times YES! #SIXSEASONSANDAMOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Joel says:

The cast wants to move on. Let it go. It’s going to turn into a terrible final season like HIMYM where the cast and writers didn’t have their hearts on it

• Dave says:

This comment is uninformed and wrong.

#sixseasonsandamovie

• ggny says:

i think once the show was canceled all contracts where terminated. the cast can move on if it wants to if they really wanted too

• kidris90 says:

Where are you getting this info? The cast was hardcore about getting a 6th season. They kept tweeting and doing everything possible to help the show get renewed and expressed how devastated they were when it got cancelled. Don’t make things up.

8. Say they renewed it. How does Jacobs doing Girls affect her participation on the show? Would Hulu delay the release of a new season until after she was done with it so she could participate or would they write Britta out?

9. Foster says:

Dare I say…I might actually get Hulu Plus if they resurrect Community? I’ve held out this long but that might push me to buy it!

10. enri says:

Purdy please! This would be awesome.

11. wonderwall says:

I WOULD SO GET HULU PLUS IF THIS HAPPENED.

12. Chel says:

#SIXSEASONSANDAMOVIE!

13. Big Mike says:

Hulu, I don’t subscribe to you……yet. Please, take my money!

14. Joey Padron says:

Hope Hulu will pick up show & Dan hopefully will continue as showrunner for season 6.

15. Brad says:

It’s about time there is talk about picking it up. I’m surprised that sites haven’t already been speculating just for the site hits….As long as this show gets a proper ending where we know FOR SURE that it’s over, i’ll be fine.

16. Diana says:

I would be ok with this. Hulu is pretty cheap to subscribe which makes it a better option for me than basic cable (like Cougar Town which I haven’t seen since it was ABC).

17. Big Mike says:

Cool cool cool.

I’d be bummed if that meteor really hit Earth.

18. murley says:

i hope this happens! i always watched community on hulu anyway so same difference to me. and they could probably do shorter seasons and more flexible shooting schedules so the cast might have the opportunity to do other things as well. come on hulu!

19. j says:

#FiveSeasonsWasFine

20. Dennis says:

What about that actress now on HBO’s Girls? Will she be back?!

21. pete says:

i really doubt Hulu would be able to keep it the same, just let it go, no point in keeping it if it will be shell of what it was, which season 4 and 5 both were

22. Ben says:

I would only be behind this if Hulu announced that they were renewing it ONLY for ONE season and ONE movie, and no more.

23. charles says:

24. ggny says:

ill believe it when i see the new episode on hulu. not gonna get my hopes up

• Mel says:

I’m still waiting for HBO to make the Deadwood movie they promised. I had also been waiting for The Sopranos movie, but obviously that’s not going to happen now.

25. reboot2099 says:

Oh no! Not hulu! :( I really want another season of Community (only if Harmon is involved, though) But we don’t get Hulu in Canada :( Hope they partner with someone to bring it here!

26. #sixseasonsandamovie meant 132 episodes (22 per season), not the 97 we got. I’d like for the show to be on the air for as long as it needs to reach that number. It’s 35 episodes short of it, so it be nice if Hulu were to renew it for a 35 episode season.

27. Diz says:

Either way I’m ok. I’m not subscribing to Hulo though just to see a few episodes of Community.

28. Nate Mayhew says:

Anyone against the hulu idea, keep in mind that due to the exclusive streaming deal they are the only ones (on the web) who can do this. No netflix, no Amazon. Honestly, that may end up being a good thing. I imagine it went something like this:

Lackie: The fans want us to pick up Community.
    Exec: No, but they won’t blame us. A lot of other services could have picked it up.
    Lackie: Actually, sir, it can only be us. Netflix and Amazon couldn’t do it it they wanted to.
    Exec: Oh. So if it doesn’t happen, the fans of Community will only blame us.
    Lackie: That’s right.
    Exec: Crap. Tell me more about this Com…unity?

• reboot2099 says:

Well, in Canada, it IS on Netflix. But I don’t keep my hopes up for a potential 6th season showing up there :(

29. Joey says:

So… 32% of NBC is going to rescue the show that they just canceled? Makes sense.

Wonder if they’ll write Gillian Jacobs off now that she’s with Girls.

• Mel says:

No, they’ll work around her schedule. The Arrested Development folks managed to work around a lot of schedules. Also wouldn’t be surprised to see the “Return of Troy!”, too.

30. TV Gord says:

Hopefully, they’ll make deals with carriers in other countries where the ultra-restricted Hulu refuses to tread.

31. Et al. says:

This has to happen. I have a good feeling that negotiations should go well. It seems like the people who’ve stuck with the show truly love it and would like to continue. I sure hope so.

32. Bryce says:

It’s just so stale. Literally the only reason to bring it back would be to satisfy the hashtag sixseasonsandamovie. That’s it. That’s the only appeal for me.

33. Leah says:

If this was the summer after season 3, I would be praying for this to work out. But not now. Just RIP. I want to see the cast in new things.

34. marlysa14 says:

Make it happen !

35. And last year USA Network could have saved Happy Endings. Honestly – the show became bad and I might be on board for a short (6 episodes) season and a movie just to satisfy the hashtag, but other than this I don’t see the appeal anymore.

36. Ashley says:

I hope this happens, as long as it comes back as something other than a shadow of its former self. We saw that in season 4 and it was depressing; it returned to its former glory in season 5 and I’d rather have it go out on that note rather than have it come back with a whimper and go out as such. That being said, it would be really cool to have a 6th season (with any number of episodes) if Hulu/Harmon is able to do it justice in a new home.

37. Little Scarf Girl says:

I don’t know. I think Community has never been the same after Season 3. I want to see more adventures, but I want it to have more of a point than S4 and S5 had. Since they’re no longer graduating and no longer saving the school, they need to give a fresh premise, even if it’s just a frame for their hijinks.

38. Ron says:

I’m on board as long as Harmon is on board. And, no, I’m not one of those Harmon fanboys. I didn’t think season 5 was gonna automatically be better than 4 because Harmon was back; I was gonna wait to make my judgements. And you know what, even thought I didn’t loathe season 4 like some, I thought season 5 was much better than 4, proving that Harmon is an important component to the show. This could actually be a big deal for Hulu. They have some original stuff, but nothing like Netflix. Hell, even Amazon has gotten more notice for their original programming than Hulu, so this could be a big coup. That said, I’m happy with a one-and-done type deal; let us have a sixth season to 1) fulfill the hashtag and 2) put the episode count over 100. After that, let’s call it a day. But don’t let my rather blase tone fool you; I’d be hella excited to get one more season. However, I’m just not getting my hopes up because I’m flashing back to that whole unfortunate Happy Endings/USA thing.

39. ncmacasl says:

#5SeasonsOnNBC1SeasonOnHuluAndAKickstarterMovie !!!!

40. Azerty says:

Community needs a 6th season in which the gang find out Troy is lost in sea and a movie in which they are going to rescue him! As Barney Stinson would say, “that’s the dream”.

41. Miffay says:

Let it die. It’s over. Besides, its fans are the most annoying in the world!

42. Katy says:

#hulupluscommunitysubscribe! i will subscribe to Hulu if they #renewcommunity for sure, to support them in making very right decision! #Huluplsrenewcommunity !

43. webly3 says:

I will also subscribe to Hulu if Community is picked up. This could be a great opportunity for Hulu.

44. Saad says:

I love Community and enjoyed almost every episode of the show. But once Pierce and Troy left it wasn’t quite the same show. If neither of them plan to come back, I probably wouldn’t want another season. Tbh I thought season 5 was a mistake too because at least the season 4 finale had given some closure to Jeff’s story.

• Quinn Mallory says:

Got to disagree with you on Season 5. Despite the cast change, season 5 feels a lot more like Community than season 4. Dan Harmon’s presence made a very big difference, IMHO. It’s a lot more wacky and fun than season 4.

• Scott Johnston says:

If Pierce came back he’d have to be a zombie…although the way Chevy Chase acted in his last few episodes we wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

45. K says:

Please Please Please

46. Ann says:

Please, Hulu, bring it back!

47. crowbone says:

“Community” was my favorite tv viewing (BAR NONE) 2009-12. I thought it was “Barton Fink”-ed ( nbc brass to dh: “you think we can’t find a dozen writers who can give us that d.h. (Barton Fink) feeling?!?”) for its fourth season and, perhaps consequentially, mr.h made the stories feel a bit – desperate – season five.

The switch to Hulu would represent a progression in the correct direction – if it does happen.

There is just so much good material here – with such well-drawn characters – it could develop into several spin-off creations. ….

A GOLD MINE I tells ya – A GOLD MINE.