Welcome to the New TVLine!

TVLine_LogoFIN_2014-01-03Do not adjust your Web browser. Yes, TVLine had a little work done over Memorial Day weekend, but we promise you won’t be seeing us in a reboot of The Swan anytime soon.

In fact, while we’re debuting a new logo, fonts, graphics and staff caricatures after nearly three-and-a-half years on the job, our functionality hasn’t changed a bit — and our committment to bringing you shocking spoilers, exclusive scoops, in-depth interviews and discussion-provoking recaps remains as rock-solid and unchanging as Mount Rushmore.

The biggest changes you’ll notice on the new and improved TVLine involve the layout and display of our galleries and videos — but we think you’ll enjoy the more user-friendly (and prettier) interface once you get used to it.

Meanwhile, though, we’re genuinely interested in hearing how you feel about our updated look and functionality. So please do hit the comments below and give us your positive and negative feedback about the new TVLine. Without your readership and loyalty (not to mention your exquisite elegance and good taste), we’d be nothing!

GET MORE: News

1. Ryan says:

Can’t say I like any part of the new design better. Sorry.

2. Till says:

I’m not sure about the new font. It doesn’t work really nice in regular case, and not at all in bold case. For the layout, well that’s flat design but not used like it should…

3. Alison says:

Unfortunately, I have to say I’m not a huge fan of the redesign. The new logo reminds me of a soda logo from the 90s (no idea why) and I don’t love the new font, either. I’m sure you guys put a lot of effort into the redesign, which I appreciate, but the old site looked far more professional.

4. Dan says:

The mobile site is very slow. I like the old one better.

5. Audrey says:

Looking good! Contrary to previous commenters, I much prefer black text on white background because the other way around gives me headaches while reading (I usually ended up copying and pasting on a word document to read).

Though, your comment section need to be upgraded. How about giving us the ability to sort new comments versus old ones? And please give us the option to view the site in non-mobile mode on our phones. I hate it when websites force mobile viewing on me.

6. ChicagoDan says:

I have to agree with many other commentators – the white doesn’t work. The headlines seem to get lost with this format. I’m sure with a couple of tweaks, it will be workable, but I anticipate my visits and clicks will be far fewer.

7. Melissa says:

I like the new look but I can’t seem to navigate off of the landing page on mobile. I’m using an android.

8. Fred Smith says:

Like the Logo. Font for the stories is terrible.

9. Ari says:

I think the font needs some work but other than that I much prefer this version. It looks a bit cleaner and more professional.

10. pennagirl says:

The white background tends to “override” the black text in some instances.

11. Jane says:

I don’t have any problems with the white background but the font seems fuzzy. I’ve tried it on IE, Chrome, and FIrefox and it looks as bad on all 3. You really might want to rethink the font.

12. D says:

I don’t like the new font. It makes reading more strenuous.

13. Peter says:

I like the logo but I have to agree with the people who mentioned the white background. It doesn’t look very good and hurt’s my eyes after a while on the side. Also while the new font looks nice it’s a lot harder to read it. I don’t know if that has to do with the white background, but it could be. The font should be “fuller”. Maybe it’s a contrast thing. Sorry I can’t describe it any better. The font and the background on the old side just went very well together. With a little bit of fine-tuning I’m sure you can figure it out for this new side too. Thanks and keep up the good work.

14. Mar says:

Do NOT like it all! Bring back the old version!

15. Alex says:

The strong white background is a little headache inducing, Also, the new version is not mobile friendly. Personally, I prefer the old format, but I think this one can be fixed with some minor modifications.

16. I have one observation. Some words seem too close together, like there’s no spaces between them even though there are. On the front page, for example, “AGT” and “Is” and “Shift” and “Starts” in the What To Watch story look too close to each other, even though (when copied and pasted in a box like this one) it’s clear that there is a space between them.

17. Tab says:

Way too much white, harsh on the eyes. You need to break up the sections with some soft color. The new font also is not the easiest to read. I work for an agency that designs websites – hit me up if you guys need help, seems like you might need it since this first round is a fail.

18. Christina Reynolds says:

I like the new mobile site!

19. frenchguy says:

heuu…too much white, my eyes hurts
    but i love your work, i come everyday

20. Abby says:

Whoah is it White! But like everything else.

21. Mike says:

i hate it please go back to the old way or i will not read this website anymore

22. Stlblues2 says:

Looking great!

23. Mehvash says:

all the white is hard to take in, i’ll give it a while before i complain about it. could just take some getting used to. i’ve been following Ausiello and mitovich since their TV guide days and miss their podcast. love the site since it started so it won’t deter me from coming back.

24. abz says:

I have to echo the complaints of others. There is way too much white background and it hurts my eyes. I’m sure I’ll get used to it just like I got used to the awful white background on iTunes, but if anything can be done about it, that would be great.

25. a says:

I think the white background is too harsh. It’s definitely giving me a headache.And I agree with others that the font needs some work. But I love the ‘Hot Shows’ link at the top of the page. It’s super convenient to be able to find all the articles about a particular show in one location.

26. Deb says:

I love TVline and read it every day, but the galleries don’t work well in Firefox. The pictures don’t show up. Did your design guys test in all browsers?

27. maltru says:

Just like everyone else, I dislike the white background. But, at least your font against the white background is easier to read than TVGuide’s!

28. B says:

There’s something about the boldness of the font (the text “shape” itself looks nice) and the stark white background that results in fuzziness both on the home page and in articles. It’s hard to read, and I would not spend much time on the site because of the genuine physical discomfort; please soften it somehow. I like the Our Team area a lot.

29. Andrea says:

The mobile website took over five minutes to load on my iphone, so I hope that gets faster. The regular version looks a little more streamlined, which is nice. But I could do without the white background, it’s too harsh on the eyes!

30. maltru says:

Follow up- I also dislike the fact that now I have to click on “View gallery” instead of the gallery just being included in the post like before. Before, I could just scroll down and start clicking through; now I have just one more step to take, which depending on my interest in the gallery/my mood, could dissuade me from looking at it at all.

I do like the new logo, though.

31. websnap says:

The white is fine, white space never hurt anybody but advertisers, lol…

But that body copy font… wow, way over the top… almost comical.

32. Jared says:

Congrats on the new update!!

33. drewcpu says:

I would be very happy if the full-text RSS feed came back.

34. Dear Mike and team, I love you guys from day 1 and will continue to do so, my only comment- the white is extremely bright on the eyes

35. I don’t like the white, and I would like to have the galleries like they used to be.
    Also, it made me feel like I had entered a blog, which I don’t find very attractive.

• Katherine215 says:

Agreed on both. It’s too much white, the sides need to have some color. Also, the font is a little wonky and too big. The galleries launching in another window is very annoying, I like to jump between the comments and the pictures and that’s not possible now.
      Not gonna lie, I really liked the look of the old site. It was easy to read and appealing to the eye. I’m sure I’ll get used to this, but until then, it’s tough. I haven’t tried the new functions yet, but I’m sure they’ll be helpful.

36. csr says:

Love the updated font and font size. Very easy on the eyes.

37. Little Scarf Girl says:

The new layout is okay … but I feel like it’s too much white space. I don’t even feelt like I’m on TvLine. :\ And there’s a lot of huge ads.

38. MG says:

I’m on an iphone & the search doesn’t seem to work. It gave me the top 5 commented on posts instead.

I echo other comments that the text makes my eyes hurt, but I can read other sites that are black text on white background, so maybe it’s the font.

39. Amy says:

Need the option to keep desktop version when browsing on mobile. Currently its too big, need to be able to zoom out… not everyone likes mobile version of sites

40. StanSJ says:

nice update but ya’ll keep posting old stuff on the Facebook page

41. Aimee says:

I really dislike having the extra click to view the gallery which makes it annoying having to go back and forth between the pictures and the comments. Also, this font is a bit much.
    Having said that, I will say I like the “Our Team” section and the quick link to Hot shows. But seriously, this font has got to go.

42. Sarah says:

Clean and fresh. Nice! People will get used to the feel of things. Love the new functionality with hot shows and spoilers, and your profile drawings are so fun!

Alas, as you are seeing in comments, the font is a major issue; it is neat in other contexts, but both the style and size make it very difficult to read on a screen. There are a few other tweaks to be made, as there always are (eg, centering headlines is a rookie mistake), but with so much time obviously spent during development on functionality, it is natural for a few style updates to be needed after launch. The good news is that they are the easiest things to adjust!

Congratulations on this milestone in the history of TVLine! Hooray to all of you!!

43. B123 says:

I have been reading the site since it began and I like the new update on the computer. However the mobile version is to busy for a quick scan of the new stories.

44. GhostWolf says:

Way too much white agreed – it also hurts my eyes after awhile (guess I’ll be sticking with the tweeter feed for the time being). Also, can you get the articles titles any larger – geez louise that takes up a lot of space. As the NEW saying goes, if it ain’t broke, fix it.

45. Dick Witman says:

Upgrade

46. nprentiss says:

Can’t find a search button. :(

Also, not crazy about the headline font: italics “lean into” normal font, eliminating the space between words.

47. Rebecca says:

Looks great! Only gripe is that now my Facebook news feed is getting inundated with links and stories that are old – i.e. Good Wife react immediately following Will’s death and last year’s May Finales…

48. Patty says:

I don’t mind the white or the font. I think it makes it look cleaner, however I do agree that it looks more like a blog now than a professional website. That’s not necessarily bad, but it will take some getting used to. Also, whatever you did has made tons of old stories pop up on my facebook newsfeed today and I’m a little tired of that. :-P

49. Jason Paul says:

Love your website, but the white background is too bright white. And the font looks squished, bulging to the left/right. I’m on an average size work monitor.

50. Joey Padron says:

New design of your website looks great guys.