Castle's Captor, a Scandal-ous Successor and 24 More Homes for Cancelled Shows' Stars

Upfronts brought with it a slew of cancellations, which means many of TVLine’s favorite stars are now without regular TV gigs. So we thought we’d offer some suggestions — are you listening, casting directors? — as to which shows should snap up free agents like Sarah Michelle Gellar, Christopher Meloni, Danny Pudi, Marcia Gay Harden, Josh Holloway and many more. We even came up with character descriptions. You’re welcome.

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Flip through the gallery to see our picks and then head to the comments to share the beloved faces you want back on TV ASAP.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Commentary, Photo Gallery

1. karl says:

Robbie Amell is way to old to play the son of Oliver Queen!

2. Vlada says:

Albert Tsai (Bert from Trophy Wife) as a new akward friend of Brick (The Middle).

3. Hailey says:

23. Make. It. Happen

4. Tia says:

haha you guys are such dorks. The Arrow one and the one with Josh and Elizabeth made me giggle :)

5. CourtTV says:

Someone needs to employ Luke Mitchell and Michael Ealy.

• Lisa London says:

Yes, please.

• H says:

I think the CW wants to keep Luke Mitchell under contract until they find a good vehicle for him. In the meanwhile he can do some guest work on existing series, may it be Flash, Arrow, or the Vampire Diaries (those girls need to step away from that quadrangle of doom, even for a quick brake).

• Angel says:

I definitely think the CW will try to keep Luke Mitchell in house. Maybe he could be Mary’s second husband on Reign once Francis dies.

6. Slowride says:

Kelly is the only thing I’m going to miss from the X Factor ! Please make that wish come true or even better, make her replace J.Lo !

7. Stormy says:

Wow. It’s amazing that clicking through that gallery the only person I care about ever seeing again is Michael Ealy. Most I’m indifferent about and in the case of Christopher Meloni and Rebel Wilson, I hope I never see them again.

8. Megan says:

Totally love some of those ideas. Especially 23.

9. m. says:

Martha Plimpton on Castle would be hilarious and could MAYBE turn that craptastic finale into something enjoyable.

• Kim R says:

That is exactly what I thought! The only way to save and perhaps go a long way to apologize for the stupidity that was the Castle finale, is to make it kind of funny and quickly resolved. :)

• john m says:

really!, how absolutely stupid!. Everyone was looking for a “wedding”, and all were (majority) disappointed. So tired of “cliff” hangers. If you like a show you are going to come back the following season. I enjoyed “Goonies”, thought very little of Plimpton on her cancelled show, and really, Castle with her, omg, that is really, DUMB…..

10. spindae2 says:

SMG as David Clarke’s new gf and Em’s step mom. Hahaha neat.
    Anna Sophia should stay at the CW as a witch cousin of Liv and Luke in he VD.

11. TvPeong says:

Brilliant!

12. Jennifer says:

Yes to Marcia Gay Hardin, Martha Plimpton, and SMG.

13. Sheryl says:

Bradley Whitford on Scandal would be amazing!!!

14. Ggny says:

Bradley Whitford as new attending surgeon and friend for Derek on Greys the guy needs a new friend

15. Delaina says:

Bradley Whitford on Scandal!!! Please, please, please!!!

16. Riana says:

Matt Lanter would probably love getting to play an adult. Plus him and Hanna would have mad chemistry (though Hanna has chemistry with everyone)

• H says:

Caleb is returning and Sean Faris’s CW pilot is dead, so I think Hanna has enough love interests as it is.
      31 y.o. Lanter should try to make the leap to the big 4 networks now, or he will be stuck in teen shows ’till his hair turns white. He’s arguably not very talented, but some action packed series would do the trick.

17. dude says:

Love all these! Never thought of it but Rachael Taylor would make an amazing Elsa! Dianna Agron is still my top pick though. I also need Sarah Michelle Gellar on Revenge ASAP but I feel like she’s going for top billing roles.

• Kim R says:

I was a Crisis fan but I have to say the only thing I didn’t care for and had to struggle to overlook each episode was Rachel Taylor’s acting. Not a fan. :)

• Nichole says:

Agree with you on that, felt the same way about her on that Park Ave show last season, just something about her acting didn’t sit right, but can’t really put a finger on what it is about her that I find off putting, no offence to the actress intended

• H says:

ABC seems to like Rachel Taylor since she starred in at least 3 of its shows (Charlie’s Angels, 666 Park Avenue and Grey’s), so it looks like a good fit. Kinda hope she’d return to Grey’s, even only for a short arc; I loved her chemistry with Alex.

18. cordelia says:

Aimee Teegarden and Connie Britton – count me in!

19. Riana says:

I want to see Malese Jow on something, perhaps she could be Laurel’s intern that Roy starts to fall for while Thea is away on Arrow

• wordsmith says:

I agree. Aimee Teegarten and Matt Lanter were good leads, but I have a feeling that Malese will be the first Star-Crossed cast-off to be snapped up by another show, probably on CW.

20. Pat says:

#19-Michael Ealy. I would love to see Almost Human picked up by another network. Reducing him to a love interest on New Girl, no way. If the powers have to be for no hope of Almost Human not being picked up,then I would love to see him in an action drama playing of course, a good guy.

• H says:

There’s a shortage of blue eyed African american actors, he’ll always find substantial roles.

• herman1959 says:

WHAT?

• H says:

Whenever someone in charge of casting will search for a character with that specific look, they’ll think of him. And even if they weren’t looking for someone with that description specifically, once they have him in mind he will probably have more chances to get the role than many of his colleagues. Talent is obviously a factor, but looks are usually as (if not more) important.

21. Brittany says:

Maybe SMG could find a role in Bones as Booth’s lawyer or temp FBI replacement? Or they could both guest star on Agents of SHIELD as a bad ass husband and wife vigilante duo. Either way, I need to see them on screen together again!

22. Beth says:

How do we make Bradley Whitford on Scandal happen? Paging Shonda…

23. Derek117 says:

Jessica De Geow provided herself worthy of a series both on Dracula–and as Oliver Queen’s “Psycho Ex-Girlfriend” (aka “The Huntress”) in Arrow.

The next step is so obvious even network executives should be able to see it: a “Birds of Prey” series. Yep, unite Jessica with Caity Lotz (the still/maybe “Black Canary” from Arrow) and Emily Bett Rickards (Felicity from Arrow) and we have the Birds trio, ready for their own adventures.

Networks and producers have a tendency of waiting too long to capitalize on rising stars–so let’s hope they don’t miss this opportunity to put these three Can’t Miss Stars in the vehicle that will be a hit.

• wordsmith says:

Felicity would make a perfect Oracle stand-in, but there’s absolutely no way that Arrow would let her go at this point.
      Keep in mind, though, that Arrow has also seeded in the existence of the Blackhawks, and Lady Shiva would totally not be a stretch, so there are plenty of options to fill in the roster.

24. Scott says:

I would prefer to see Danny Pudi on Big Bang Theory because he would fit right in there, maybe as Sheldon’s new and more eccentric than Sheldon best friend.

Piz on B-9-9 would be great but haven’t you ripped off the plot of the great US-Canadian comedy-drama from years ago “Due South”? The lead went undercover and was replaced by a doppelganger of sorts. Piz could definitely pull off a Piralta.

• Angela says:

Considering how much “Big Bang Theory” and “Community” were in competition both in ratings and in regards to the fanbases, your suggestion is quite an interesting one!
      I think it would be fun if that happened, though, myself-I kinda want to see that now :).

25. Ally Oop says:

I would love to see Chris Meloni in another comedy. B99 would be great. Other actors I would love to see on screen are Tracy Spiridakos and David Lyons from Revolution. Maybe Tracy could play a kickass Viking shield maiden on Vikings or a human replacement for Camille on The Originals. And David Lyons I would watch in just about anything, sigh.

26. Et al. says:

I’d rather see Danny Pudi cast on ‘Community – A Hulu Original Series’.

27. Brutus says:

No thanks. Don’t want to see SMG in a soap again. She should stick with doing a dramedy. Maybe something on Showtime or HBO…

28. Barbie says:

As long as Meghan Ory is back on Once Upon a Time…

29. jrex says:

Robbie Amell, Luke Mitchell and Matt Lanter all need to be on TV more playing adults instead of teenagers.

30. Josh says:

I second the Birds of Prey spin-off idea. I do see Amell on Arrow maybe as a Ollie clone? Also, on the Marvel side, SMG on Agents of SHIELD as they seem to be trying to make Chloe Bennett Buffy anyway, might as well bring in “the real thing” somehow… And while we’re on the subject, Hannigan, Smulders and I suppose NPH have time on their hands as far as I’m concerned…

31. Isaac says:

:( I was now looking forward to fall, but then I realized that this is a wish list.
    A Great wish list at that too!

32. 13mesh says:

SMS on revenge would be perfect. And perhaps Marcia Gay Harden on Veep? That would be hilarious.

33. Thilia says:

**Face Palm** I was all excited by these new developments then I realized I misread the entire thing. I was like…ooohhh so Bradley won’t be on Scandal and Chris won’t be on Brooklyn 99. Thilia girl you need to slow down when reading lol

34. carlycane says:

Let the following happen 4 real: 1, 8, 10, 13, 15

35. Kathleen W says:

My vote is for another network to pick up Surviving Jack. Cannot believe this gem was cancelled so quickly!

36. Tran says:

How come Minka Kelly wasn’t on the list now that Almost Human got canceled? With Parenthood now in its final season coming this Fall, why not have her character Gaby make one final guest appearance on the show.

37. Yolanda says:

Sarah Michelle Gellar need to either resurrect Buffy on Netflix or Amazon, or get on 2nd season of True Detective.

38. Macc says:

SMG as one of Mikaels vampire hunting trainees that is set out to kill Elijah but ultimately falls for him on ‘The Originals’

39. Dj says:

Seeing that Sarah Michelle Gellar most famous role was on a joss Whedon show how about she teams back up with him as Shield Agent Bobbi Morse (aka Mockingbird)

40. I think Van der Beek could be good in a recurring role on Veep or Sirens
    Danny Pudi to Workaholics or Parks and Rec
    Michael Ealy to S.H.I.E.L.D

41. Renee says:

I’m hoping Luke Mitchell, Matt Lanter and Greg Finley all end up on shows I watch.

42. Drew says:

James Wolk should be on Dallas as a con artist who sells people fake shares in oil wells.

43. H says:

I know some of these are jokes, but the some of the serious ones are even more ludicrous. 24 yo Teegarden as a record label executive? Brandan Dooling played a gay character once so he must play gay again and again, right? And James Wolf as Alicia’s new beau, seriously?!

44. DavidSask says:

Kelly Rowland would be great on American Idol but they will never get rid of the useless Randy Jackson continue that ratings down-slide AI lol SMG on Revenge would be most awesome!

45. christine says:

Marcia Gay Harden would rock on “Scandal”

46. leigh says:

Chris meloni on Castle or B99 would be great.

47. Alia says:

Heck yes to more Chris Lowell on my TV.

48. mc says:

Can Robbie Amell return to the Hamptons as Charlotte’s jerk of an ex? And TVLine’s love for Luke Mitchell makes the other TV guys jealous.

49. herman1959 says:

Let’s put Michael Ealy on Scandal (as Oliva’s new romantic interest) to make both Fitz and Jake sick…second choice would be Blair Underwood.

50. A says:

Robbie Amell back on Pretty Little Liars.

Danny Pudi reprise his role from Captain America on Agents of Shield.

• Shell says:

I thought about that and hadn’t really come up with a good answer. Maybe they could just play it off with Felicity babbling about how, ‘ we often find people who are attractive share similar features, which is why they are considered attractive.’ And then have someone give he a look and then the subject would be dropped lol. Or they could just make it a running gag, like Sarah comes to visit and Oliver introduces Dick and Sarah stops and says, ” Long lost brother?”

• Shell says:

This reply went under wrong post. This was supposed to be under Robbie Amell for Nightwing on Arrow. He has the good guy appeal and charm to play Dick Grayson.