Netflix/Marvel's Daredevil Series Taps Spartacus Boss as Showrunner

Netflix Daredevil Stephen S. DeKnight Daredevil has a new boss.

Netflix’s upcoming 13-episode Marvel series has tapped Spartacus creator Steven S. DeKnight to serve as executive producer/showrunner, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | Daredevil and Other Netflix/Marvel Series to Film in NYC, for ‘Authentic’ Feel; July Start Date Set

Drew Goddard (The Cabin in the Woods, Angel, Buffy) was originally tapped as writer/executive producer/director. The Whedonverse vet did pen the first two episodes of the superhero project but had to pull out of directing due to his commitment to Sony’s The Amazing Spider-Man spin-off film, The Sinister Six.

Goddard will remain an executive producer on Daredevil, which is expected to premiere in 2015 on the streaming service.

Over a multi-year rollout, Daredevil will be followed by a Jessica Jones series as well as TV takes on Iron Fist and Luke Cage. Once all four have made their Netflix debut, they will team up for a miniseries event that reimagines The Defenders, Marvel’s dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.

1. CBWBDK1 says:

Steven S. DeKnight is a great choice. Spartacus was epic!!

2. Teag says:

Excellent. We still don’t know who’s playing Daredevil right?

3. BBQ says:

Terrible choice! Spartacus was lame cheesy and poorly written! It was like a bad syndicated 90s show but with boobs. I don’t want Daredevil meets Hercules the Legendary Journies

• Nate says:

Obviously they didn’t think so

• wordsmith says:

If you’re equating Spartacus to Hercules, then I’m guessing you haven’t seen it all the way through. It started off as a hyper-stylized 300 knock-off, but turned pretty quickly into one of the most elegantly written shows on TV.
      Yes, there are quite a lot of horrifying dismemberments and naked women (and men too – there are many penises – hooray for gender equality!).
      But there is also some of the most elegant language you’re likely to see on television. Even the dirtiest profanity those characters come up with has a Shakespearean grandeur to it.

• EJ386 says:

Spartacus was epic! So that must mean good things for this show.

• Naazneen says:

You likely didnt get past the first season. This show, from the prequel all the way through to the final season, was outrageously good. The final season, as well as Gods of the Arena was amazing. I am thrilled with this news. SDK is also a whedon alum and will be fantastic, im sure.

4. Floyd Smith says:

Can they get Liam McIntyre to play Daredevil now???!

5. James D says:

i was excited before now I’m super stoked, DeKnight is extremely talented I can’t wait to see what he does with Matt Murdock. I was thinking Richard Madden as Matt but now I’m not so sure, he’s probably to big a star for it. What does this mean for DeKnights syfy show on Starz hope it’s still a go because it sounded pretty cool.

6. So stoked for DeKnight joining! He did some great work on Smallville (his “Run” episode is a fave of mine) so I am extremely excited to see what he’ll do with “the Man Without Fear”

7. ... says:

Love Steve DeKnight, but I’m so tired of comic shows. And I’m curious if this means Incursion, the project he had in development at Starz, is dead.

8. laura meakin says:

Incursion is on hold at Starz DeKnight has confirmed on his twitter feed so its not dead.

9. I write a comment whenever I especially enjoy a article on a
    website or I have something to add to the discussion. It’s triggered
    by the passion displayed in the post I browsed.

And after this article Daredevil Marvel/Netflix Series
    Taps Stephen S. DeKnight as Showrunner – TVLine.

I was excited enough to drop a thought :-P I actually do have a couple of questions for you
    if you don’t mind. Is it simply me or do some of these comments look
    as if they are left by brain dead visitors? :-P And,
    if you are writing at other sites, I’d like to keep up with
    everything new you have to post. Could you make a list the
    complete urls of your shared sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

10. Rusty says:

Well if Steven has anything to say about it, there will be several new gay characters and there will be women killed in the most grisly fashion. That is his signature in the Spartacus series. For some reason the man loves to kill off his female stars in the the most hideous ways.

11. James says:

Mr.DeKnight need look no further than Spartacus himself Liam McIntyre to play the role of Daredevil, he’s charismatically and physically designed for it.

12. dreamlife613 says:

I hope Netflix will pick up Incursion, since Starz is probably not going to do it. I’m more excited for that project than Daredevil…

13. Dennis says:

He did great work on ANGEL when it was The WB!
    Also, Zac Efron would be perfect for this role!