Ratings: NBC Tops Quiet First Night After May Sweeps; Fox's Gang Related Fires Blanks

Last Comic Standing - Season 8NBC, with an average demo rating of 1.5, won the first post-Sweeps night on Thursday, thanks in part to the return of Last Comic Standing.

With 5.4 million total viewers and a 1.7 rating, LCS was down 15 percent from its previous, June 2010 premiere, but up from that season’s finale (which did 4 mil/1.5).

Opening the Peacock’s night, Hollywood Game Night (3.9 mil/1.1) added a few eyeballs week-to-week while steady in the demo.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled?

Thursday’s other premiere, Fox’s Gang Related — which TVLine readers gave an average grade of “C+” — targeted 3 million viewers and a 0.9 rating, besting only ABC’s Black Box and The CW’s Labyrinth in the demo, among fresh fare.

Hell’s Kitchen set the table with 4.2 mil/1.5, down 14 percent and two tenths.

Elsewhere….

ABC | Black Box (3.7 mil/0.8) fell 14 and 27 percent to series lows.

CBS | A Big Bang repeat topped Thursday with 9 million viewers and a 2.2 demo rating. The Eye’s only fresh episode, Bad Teacher (4.4/1.1), dropped 20 percent to series lows.

THE CW | Part 1 of Labyrinth drew 1.33 mil and a 0.2.

1. Magically Suspicious says:

So, I should go ahead and delete Gang Related from my dvr?

• Carm says:

I was wondering the same thing. I taped it and now wonder if I should even watch it.

• grth says:

You should watch it, not delete!

• KC says:

Delete! Delete now! It was bad. But decide for yourself!

• Grey says:

Well, let me put it to you this way; I was only able to watch the first ten minutes or so before I had to turn the channel. So I say give it at least a shot (no pun intended) – watch the setup and if you’re still interested by the first commercial break continue on. It might just be *your* cup of tea. But if your attention is starting to wonder by the time the dust settles of the openning scene, delete.

• wrstlgirl says:

Well I think you should watch it and make up your own mind. Why let others make your decisions.

• Bong says:

Delete. It was terrible, plus cancellation is almost guaranteed. The only reason to watch I’d if you really love cop shows, even when they’re extremely crappy.

• Scott says:

I watched it today but will not be watching future episodes….just did not draw me in at all or make we want to see what happens to these characters going forward…..I finished the episode and said to myself……”PASS”

• LynnH says:

I read a review of Gang Related on Forbes’ website that said the pilot wasn’t great (the network probably reworked it) but that it gets much better. And by the third episode it’s quite good. Fun, even. So I will be sticking with it.

• Travis says:

I love the show. It is one of the shows I look forward to each week. It sucks it is going to be cancelled.

2. Coal says:

Am I the only one who thinks shows like Killer Women, Lucky 7, Mind Games, Hostages and others that bombed this season would have been a better fit for this time of the year ? Reason being there would be no pressure to do well and get renewed but they would have their full run and networks will have scripted shows to fill the void during the summer.

• Ann says:

This! I think Intelligence would have done better as a summer show.

• Grey says:

I honestly think they put their *best* stuff out in the fall, second best at mid-season, and third best now. That’s not saying much in terms of the quality of product available going by what we’ve seen this year but it what it is. (Can you imagine how bad the stuff must be that didn’t get approved to at least pilot development?)

I think the problem is a combination of things; the people trying to create new stuff really don’t have any original or compeling ideas (they’d rather try a reboot of something form 20-30 years ago) and audiences expect and demand a lot from new shows. We want to be knocked out of our shoes right out the gate and we want to stay that way for at least the frist three or four episodes. Otherwise we drop the show like a hot rock. You get the occational “The Blacklist” and “Sleepy Hollow” but the majority of new stuff offered turns out to be less than par.

3. forwarddad says:

👍

4. Shaun says:

FOX can’t seem to catch a break. I like 24 but even that had lower than expected ratings.

5. Amanda N. says:

I really like Black Box. I think that show is very interesting with great writing and actors. I really hope it gets a chance to really develop. I think there is so much potential in that show. It would’ve been better if it was released in the Summer after all the regular series finale.

6. demoniam says:

I enjoy Black Box, too. Certainly not Scandal-caliber, but it’s good and has potential. I hope ABC gives it a chance. At the very least, I hope they don’t cancel it before all the episodes air!

7. demoniam says:

I enjoy Black Box, too. Certainly not Scandal-caliber, but it’s good and has potential. I hope ABC gives it a chance with second season. At the very least, I hope they don’t cancel it before all the episodes air!

8. Ally Oop says:

I just watched Gang Related and I actually liked it.

9. MB says:

Gang Related is “The Curse of Lost”. The only show that is still doing well with a Lost Alum is H5O. All others that have tried in the past and present are dead.

10. sjosephlee says:

There is also a little show called Person of Interest… just ended it’s third season and going strong.

11. DavidSask says:

How can Gang Related continue to air with those ratings, new or not, viewers won’t follow now knowing its all but cancelled and will have no finale ending?!

12. Bob Smith says:

Gang related looked terrible from the first promo commercial. Now they’ve proven it.

13. Trina says:

Figures – anytime I like a show I must be the only person who does. Gang Related was worth watching – Yes it’s a little heavy on the accents but it has enough twists to keep my interest. I knew the good cop bad cop thing was coming as well as the best friend dating the ex but it was still good. Not Southland – but good Summer TV hasn’t started and this one will keep my Thursday night slot so far!

14. GANG RELATED FAN says:

Il Love the show ! Gang related is a very good one and i really hope that Fox will renewed it for a sea on 2 and More !