What to Watch Tonight: A Revolution Ends, Idol Is Crowned, The Americans and 6 Other Finales

Revolution - Season 2On tap this final night of the 2013-14 TV season: A new American Idol is crowned, The Middle goes to Disney World, Revolution-aries must stop a war and no one is safe in The Americans finale. As a supplement to TVLine’s original features (linked within), here are 10 programs to keep on your radar.

PREVIEW | The Middle‘s Atticus Shaffer Talks Brick’s First Real Girlfriend, ‘Crazy’ Disney-fied Finale

8 pm American Idol (Fox) | Live season finale: The Season 13 winner is announced.

8 pm Survivor (CBS) | Season finale: One castaway will be crowned the Sole Survivor and take home the $1 million prize. (Following the two-hour finale, stay tuned for a live reunion show.)

8 pm Revolution (NBC) | Series finale: As they launch an attack on the Patriots, Miles, Charlie and Monroe must quickly come up with a new plan to stop the oncoming war between California and Texas. (Cancelled.)

8 pm The Middle (ABC) | Season finale: When mishaps threaten to ruin the Hecks’ road trip to Walt Disney World, it may turn out not to be the happiest place on Earth! (Renewed.)

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard 2014: Deaths, Weddings, Births, Sex, Resurrections, Firings and More!

9 pm Law & Order: SVU (NBC) | Season finale: Benson faces a life-changing decision when she discovers a connection with a suspect in the rape and robbery of male tourists. (Renewed.)

9 pm Modern Family (ABC) | Season finale: The wedding day chaos continues as guests get restless, Cam and Mitch grow discouraged and Claire becomes physically and emotionally worn out. (Renewed.)

9:30 pm Mixology (ABC) | Series finale: It’s closing time and Tom has one more chance to ask Maya to go home with him — and if these bar-goers are not wasted yet, something is seriously wrong. (Cancelled.)

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

10 pm Motive (ABC) | Season 2 premiere: Flynn and Vega investigate a possible suicide and the team welcomes their new commander (Warren Christie, Alphas), who has a mysterious link to Angie’s past.

10 pm Chicago P.D. (NBC) | Season finale: Atwater settles into his new gig on intelligence; Lindsay confides in Voight. (Renewed.)

10 pm The Americans (FX) | Season finale: Philip and Elizabeth evacuate their children while trying to complete their mission; Stan holds Nina’s future in his hands. (Renewed.)

Hit the comments with your must-see picks from tonight’s lineup!

GET MORE: Finales, Premieres, Previews, What to Watch

1. rflairfan1 says:

The Middle season finale.
    Live tweet of Enlisted.
    OKC vs Spurs.

2. A says:

RIP Revolution. I’ll miss Monroe forever and probably no one else. Can his Character just move to The 100?

• Aryn says:

The demise of Revolution is 100% NBC execs fault…having a 4 month hiatus in season 1 was horrible…and then to change days and time when season 2 returned was the final nail in the coffin…this show belonged at 10PM regardless of the day, not 8PM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was much touted as the #1 new drama last year, much like The Blacklist this year – let’s hope the idiots working at NBC don’t kill it too. REVOLUTION ROCKS :)

• LADY_in_MD says:

Agree with you 100% love this show and am mad at NBC for screwing it up!

• Jackson says:

Double AMEN! I am boycotting NBC, we should send their offices some trinket to show them how mad we are they canceled Revolution…Jericho style :) Mini swords from tiny action figures? Jars of sweat? Pictures of dirt? Hmmm, seriously maybe we can do something. Let’s put our minds together and come up with a SAVE REVOLUTION Campaign !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doesn’t hurt, right?!

Who knows who to write, call, or email at NBC and can you post the information for people to start it and someone start a petition…who says we can’t bring it back for 10 more episodes to give us actual closure??????????????? LETS DO IT

• Tom says:

This is non-sensical. And this is why you NEVER start watching a new show until at least the 3rd season has been renewed. I’m glad I waited on great shows like Breaking Bad, The Shield, and Game of Thrones. I decided to wait on Revolution and Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, and I’m glad I didn’t waste my time.

• topoopon says:

@Tom OUAT:Wonderland is a self contained one season show. Feel free to watch it like a miniseries. It is fully concluded at the end.

• Pat says:

Go to Revolution’s FB page for info on websites and petitions.

• Alex says:

Not watching a show until its third season is moronic! It hurts ONLY the viewer, who misses out on the fun of watching programs live in their early days.

• tv2day says:

The second season storyline strayed so far away from the first season. Switching nights is not such a big deal w dvr. But revolution’s dvr numbers were down cosiderably. Seems a big chunk of folks who watched season 1 on dvr decided to stop recording the show around episode three in season 2. The season 2 storylines were just awful that killed the show.

• Coal says:

In total agreement with you.

• Ally Oop says:

Some storylines were the problem, mainly the one with the nanites. It put the show in ridiculous territory. As soon as they had Aaron seeing apparitions the show jumped the shark. I myself tried to ignore those scenes but I know they turned many people off. For most fans of the series, the complicated relationships between the core characters and their fight against the Patriots were the reasons they watched. Not many really cared about the nanites.

• Patrick says:

It didn’t help that the show quickly went off the rails after that long hiatus. It wasn’t JUST the long time off the air. They obviously had no long term plan. During the Hiatus, regular viewers got into the habit of watching other shows. Had the quality been very high after he hiatus, viewers would have caught up and wondered back into the fold of watching every week.

But it wasn’t very good when it came back. It may have improved this season. IDK if it did or didn’t, because I quit watching in the back half of last season. I am sorry for the fans who are losing a show, but it is only half NBC’s fault. The show’s quality nose-dived, and that was the real culprit.

• Ally Oop says:

I feel that way about both Charlie and Monroe. I liked their characters more than the series itself. I would love to see either character in another action role.

3. bj says:

Chicago PD
    Revolution
    The Americans

4. Tran says:

Revolution series finale :-( and the season finale of Chicago PD :-)

5. Mark says:

And yet again another show (Revolution) will end probably in a cliff hanger when the producers have known for months its chances aren’t good at renewal — why not have a plan B — When it went on such a long hiatus earlier why didn’t they rework it towards a series finale tidying up as many of the outstanding story lines as possible so the fans get some sort of closure. If its renewed well then they had a blank slate to work from but if not then the fans aren’t left P’d off……

• wrstlgirl says:

They did, tonight is a “series” finale.

• Mark says:

@wrstlgirl So what your saying they are going to tie everything up in an hour impossible……

• wrstlgirl says:

Well if you’ll read my comment below I agree but I’m not going to b*tch since they at least tried to give us some closure.

• Aryn says:

They aren’t giving us any closure…if they filmed the final episode before it was canceled (which they did!) there is no way it’s going to provide us anything remotely satisfying – so while I respect your opinion, your comment is as pointless as mine :)

• Jake says:

Here is the definition of closure…in case you aren’t sure what it means. #2 applies to this situation.

clo·sure
        ˈklōZHər/

1. the act or process of closing something, especially an institution, thoroughfare, or frontier,
        or of being closed.

2. a sense of resolution or conclusion at the end of an artistic work.

• Ally Oop says:

With this show it was impossible to tie everything up in one episode. Really, we probably would have needed at least another season. It’s like when they tried to tie up Last Resort but it didn’t work because a show like that can’t be tied up so quickly. The characters need to change over time and the barriers and obstacles they face are long term not short term.

• W hat about the viewers who have been faithful to watching the show.? No wonder CBS
      has so many more viewers.

6. GuessWhat says:

Why watch REVOLUTION? It will just end with a cliffhanger and many questions unanswered. Which will remain unanswered for the rest of time.

Welcome to the club: Fast Forward, The Event, Alcatraz, Jericho, V, etc. etc. etc

7. wrstlgirl says:

Nice to know that Revolution filmed an ending. I was really afraid it would just be a “season” finale’ and leave us wondering. Although it won’t be as good as if they had a real final season but I’ll take what we can get. Big TV night in my house. Survivor, Revolution, The 100, Chicago PD and The Americans.

• An ending to the Patriots story arc is likely, but not one for the overall mythology.

• wrstlgirl says:

Better than nothing.

• I guess. I expect to see Monroe becoming a villain again, regaining some semblance of power leading up to what would have been the third season.

• Belle says:

No it’s not better than nothing…tonight last episode will just leave us with more questions than answers. Not sure why your posts are so upbeat just because we get to see the final one. Showing it or not wouldn’t give closure at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Mitch says:

NOPE not better than nothing! Leaving us hanging isn’t really closure, or better than nothing. But I guess you’re a glass-half-full kinda person.

• Manny says:

Yes it is better than nothing and if you don’t believe that then go talk to fans of Killer Women and many other TV shows that were yanked off the schedule without even airing all the episodes that had already been filmed.

• Katherine215 says:

They filmed an ending? I didn’t hear that. Do you happen to have a link to that? Not doubting you, just curious what they say about it.

• wrstlgirl says:

I didn’t see it online but at the end of last week’s ep and promos throughout the week they are saying “don’t miss the series finale, see how it all ends”. So I’m guessing they filmed two finales knowing they were likely to be canceled. I’ll bet if you google it you’ll find it. It probably will feel really rushed and not answer everything but at least they tried to give us some closure.

• Cooper says:

Holy cow, how many times are you going to say this????!!!! Airing the final ep will give 0% closure to anything…the only certain thing is that it’s not coming back. Seeing the last show tonight will just be a slap in the face to us viewers, NBC sucks for moving day/time and also putting months in-between new episodes in season 1 and season 2!!! They killed the show, which was #1 last year just like the Blacklist is this year. Morons run NBC, they need people in there who know what they are doing :)

• Annie says:

THIS!!!
            RIP characters, cast, crew, craft services, directors, editors, writers, etal…you did an amazing job given your network is run by imbeciles!!!!!!!! Thanks for the ride :) :) :)

• wrstlgirl says:

If someone asks me about it I’m going to respond kind sir. Don’t take your anger out on me.

• Jackson says:

hahahahahahahahahaha
            i needed a good laugh you guys are hilarious today!

See NBC “Revolution” should have been saved, it’s fans are truly devoted and you crushed them all!

• Amanda says:

I’m not sure that is going to be true. The show’s producers/writers have nothing to do with the promos – that is done by NBC. So since NBC cancelled it they can just be calling it the series finale without there being any actual closure. (I’ve read show runners complain about the promo departments at networks giving too much away in the promos, etc.).

My fear is its going to end with more questions than answers.

• Jake says:

Finally, someone who isn’t claiming we’ll get closure because they are airing the last episode they filmed. Well said my friend, well said!

• Katherine215 says:

Ah, ok. Thanks for answering and sorry you’re kind of getting slammed here. I do think NBC might be playing games with their wording in order to make people think there’s some resolution when there isn’t, but I guess we’ll find out tonight. My guess is they clear up some stuff and then position the show with questions to start a new season that sadly isn’t coming. I’m still going to watch to enjoy while I can!

• wrstlgirl says:

No worries and you may be right but jesus people just love to be miserable don’t they. I’m as disappointed as the next guy about the shows cancellation but I’m not going to get all bent about it. What a waste of time. I’ll be recording it and watching it over the weekend. I’m all about the Survivor finale’ tonight :-)

• Katherine215 says:

People like to complain, I don’t understand it. It absolutely sucks the show’s been cancelled (it’s one of my favorites), but why yell at some person on the internet who’s stating their opinion?!

• Alex says:

They may have shot a few different scenes to swap in the event that the show got cancelled, but they sure as heck did not film two entirely different episodes–that would cost millions of dollars.

8. Tran says:

BTW, Revolution move to Wednesdays at 8 p.m. was one of NBC’s biggest mistake of them all and the series ratings (BOO!) either went flat, steady or down.

• rose says:

AMEN! NBC is run by monkey’s; no wait, monkey’s are super smart – more so than those Executives who kill our shows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Sean says:

The Middle
    Survivor
    Modern Family
    SVU
    Chicago Pd

10. kirads09 says:

MOTIVE! (ABC)
    Interesting twist on the procedural genre and the two leads are fantastic and have great chemistry. So glad it is back.

11. Chicago PD
    The 100

12. wrstlgirl says:

Jesus people, I choose NOT to waste time being pissed about something I cannot control. Don’t take it out on me because I choose not to be miserable about it.

• DKJ says:

Awww…try not to take it too personally. Misery loves company as the saying goes. I guess they figure if they can’t get their show back they will devote all their energy into at least making everyone is as unhappy as they are.

• Francine says:

I’m with you wrstlgirl. At the end of the day, its a TV show. It should never ruin your life. Yes it sucks that it was canceled but life goes on (or should). The seriousness of some of these posts is more than a little alarming. But I guess that’s the Internet for you.

• Alex says:

Yeah, the people who are getting pissy and bitchy about Revolution’s cancellation are really…. hmmm. Someday, they’ll learn that far worse things occur in life than the cancellation of a TV show. And at that time, they ought to be ashamed of their poor behavior on these pages.

13. Britt says:

Survivor
    SVU
    Chicago PD
    The 100
    The Americans

14. Coal says:

Mixology. I think there is something wrong with me for liking this show. Now Chicago P.D. I think the order of two extra episodes from 13 to 15 kind of ruined the synergy of the show. Episode 13 was a proper season finale. Now with Revolution I fail to see how it was the timeslot that killed truthfully their entire season 2 to me was a mess I stuck around until Jason died then it went on a break I think and when it returned I couldn’t be bothered.

15. Stormy says:

Owing to the dearth of choices, I’ll probably switch back and forth between Lifetime [The Holiday] and TCM [2 Girls and a Sailor].

16. Alicia says:

Any chance of Revolution being picked up by another station?

17. Maryann says:

Revolution
    Chicago PD
    The 100

18. tv2day says:

Even the most ardent revolution supporter has to admit the storylines on season two were awful. The tension of miles n Monroe being against each other was the foundation of season one. Season two had no foundation. The light thingys taking over bodies was just silly. Dvr watchers from season one started to fall off at episode three on season two. They answered too many questions at end of season one n there was nowhere to go. Reminds me of prison break. It was awesome for two seasons but writers had nowhere to go after that.

• Katherine215 says:

Ardent Revolution fan here, and I really enjoyed this season. The nanos weren’t my favorite part, mainly because I find Aaron to be a bit of a pain, but I liked the idea around it. And really, they only took over one body, and that was a couple episodes ago. I thought their answer rate was fine, too. People complain when they get no answers, they complain when they get too many. Jesus.

19. Pat says:

Modern Family! Yeah and Congrats, to Mitchell and Cam. I started watching Motive when it came out last season. I will probably do the same for season 2, but I am not sure if I like it.

• Joslyne says:

I like the concept of Motive and I really like the two lead actors who are fantastic. However, sometimes knowing the back story of the folks who commit the crime makes me feel really, really sorry for them. (It’s not all black and white!) Those were hard for me to watch.

• Katherine215 says:

Totally agree. There were a couple episodes last season that made me really sad. But I’m looking forward to this season. I hope they develop the characters’ backgrounds a bit more.

• Sara says:

Yes! As far as I remember, I haven’t felt sorry for the victim…except for a case this season…no spoiler

• Aimee says:

I remember one episode in particular about the Mother and her son who had a crush on the girl who worked in the art gallery. OK, certainly is was wrong to murder someone but I felt so sorry for her. She was just trying to save her house and that art lady totally scammed her and took the money.

20. Aimee says:

I am excited that Motive is back but I will be taping that and watching The Americans. That show is getting soooo good. I was on the edge of my seat during the last few episodes.

• wrstlgirl says:

I love The Americans and I’m a huge Lee Tergesen fan. This is a great role for him, he does creepy bad guy very well, lol.

• Aimee says:

I agree. I’ve been a fan of Tergesen ever since OZ. He’s great as a good guy but he is even better as the bad guy. He is a great foil for Philip and Elizabeth and his addition to the show has really stepped things up a notch.

21. Jennifer Dahlstrom says:

I really enjoyed watching Revolution and I’m planning to watch the finale. I think that show is a lot better than some of the other trashy shows that are on TV now.
    I’m sick of people posting that the show s dvr numbers were down and it wasn’t good. You probably never even watched the show and I doubt YOU would know anything about dvr numbers.
    To the moron who doesn’t watch shows until the third season… ypu know they CAN BE canceled at any time DUH Why watch TV at all?
    BTW shows have been saved with write in campaigns. Maybe a Facebook page?

• Jax says:

One. One show has been saved by a write in campaign in the past 10 years. That was Jerico and it did even worse the second season and was promptly canceled again. The biggest lesson that came our of that write in campaign was the TV executives shouldn’t listen to write in campaigns.

• puredieselbc says:

Jax, don’t forget Chuck. That show was practically in the grips of the cancellation bear after the first season, ’til their fans went over NBC’s head directly to the sponsors, ie. Subway and saved their show.

Smartest save-our-show campaign ever.

As for Revolution, the moment NBC picked up Constantine, I knew it was toast.

• Jax says:

OK, fair enough. But Chuck at least has a distinct, visible sponsor in Subway. You can’t really say the same about Revolution (or many shows for that matter.) Look, if creating a Facebook page or writing a letter helps you vent and feel better then go for it. Nothing wrong with that. But fans have done some crazy things over the years including spending hundreds of dollars of their own money to rent billboards and other similar stunts. That is just crazy and, quite frankly, worthless. Only two shows in the past 10 or more years and of those two one immediately crashed and burned. The odds are most definitely not in your favor.

22. Joey Padron says:

The Middle, Chicago PD, and Jimmy Fallon.

23. Prue says:

The Middle, The 100

24. Justin says:

Modern Family

25. Jason says:

Revolution was the master of killing verisimilitude and ruining suspension of disbelief…one example, this is the non-electricity post apocalyptic world, where the hell is Charlie getting a curling iron to make her hair all pretty and crap, ugh. Revolution should have been Walking Dead without zombies, gritty and “real”. If they had killed off Charlie I might have started watching again, one of the most annoying “main” characters I can ever remember on a show. Giancario Esposito was the only truly great thing about that show, and now he is freed up to work on something else.