The Voice Season 6 Finale Recap: Did the Right Artist Win? Plus: Top 5 Moments! [Updated]

the-voice-season-6-finale-recap-who-won-josh-christina-jakeThe human brain only has so much room. If, for example, I’m going to fondly remember Tess Boyer’s performance of “Human” on Season 6 of The Voice, then something from high-school trigonometry’s got to go. The personal storage space used for the lyrics to Shakira’s “Empire” (half of which, admittedly, are “and I’m like…”), meanwhile, means that it’ll probably take a text from my mom to remember my wedding anniversary this year. (#IAmTheWorst)

RELATED | American Idol Top 2 Performance Recap: Two Close for Comfort?

What I’m really trying to say, though, is that while modern science has yet to measure the effect of reality-competition obsession on our species*, I’ve got a pretty good inkling that it can cause CTRL+ALT+DEL-type situations. (*I’m making a huge assumption here that extraterrestrials have yet to discover TVLine.com)

PHOTOS | The Voice: 30 Best Performances of All Time

I mean, last night, after watching The Voice‘s Top 3 performance episode, I was convinced Josh Kaufman would (and should) inherit Tessanne Chin’s crown and sash. Fifteen minutes later, I’d convinced myself that Christina Grimmie’s Twitter army would prove unstoppable. By early morning, though, with the knowledge that all three of Jake Worthington’s Monday-night performances had cracked the Top 10 on the iTunes charts, I began to fret that perhaps I’d underestimated the humble country crooner.

(Side note: Thankfully, Carson Daly kicked off the show by noting that iTunes downloads were removed from the voting totals for the finale — due to an iTunes glitch on Monday night that made it difficult for fans to find and download Josh Kaufman’s “Set Fire to the Rain.” #FairnessPrevails)

My prognostication navigation clearly broken, I sat down for tonight’s Season 6 finale with a knot of worry in my gut, and a spirit of musical celebration in my heart. Heck, is there any reality show that would dare to pack so much good music into a 120-minute space?

In the spirit of stalling on the results for another moment, let’s hat-tip the five most memorable moments:

BEST PERFORMANCE THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE VOICE
OneRepublic’s “Love Runs Out” | Yes, Josh Kaufman absolutely nailed this ditty last week, but Ryan Tedder & Co. — along with two backup singers who really need to audition for Season 7, plus a group of ferocious, tambourine-wielding dancers — convinced me I was listening to 2014’s Song of Summer. (And I’m not usually that big a OneRepublic fan!)

BEST ESTABLISHED ACT/CONTESTANT COLLABORATION
Ed Sheeran & Christina Grimmie: “All of the Stars” | Contained by a song with a delicate, acoustic structure, Christina’s delicate upper register was put to perfect use, while the English superstar (who also rocked it solo on “Sing”) proved a generous, harmonious partner.

BEST “BRING-BACK” PERFORMANCE
Josh Kaufman (with Sisaundra Lewis, Stevie Jo and T.J. Wilkins): Nico and Vinz’s “Am I Wrong” | I could’ve lived without the gyrating dancers, but this super current song choice was exactly the kind of song Sisaundra, Stevie Jo and T.J.’s coaches should’ve been assigning ‘em all season. (Oh, what could’ve been.) There wasn’t a weak vocal link in the group, but Sisaundra’s diva strut and holleration pleased me most of all.

SECRET MVP
Tess Boyer | Team Shakira’s eliminated-too-soon diva carried the hit-or-miss female-contestant quintet on “Umbrella” and matched her pal Christina Grimmie on the latter’s “Bring-Back” rendition of Lorde’s “Team.” Could she wind up being the Jennifer Hudson of The Voice? Time — and access to stellar songwriters and producers — will tell.

SWEETEST MOMENT
Jake Worthington promptly promising his new Kia (each member of the Top 3 scored one) to his grandmother — the woman who’d kindly paid for the teenage finalist’s first vehicle.

With that, let’s get to what really matters…voting results!

Third Place
Christina Grimmie #IDidNotSeeThatComing (The good news for Christina, though, was Adam Levine saying at the top of the show that win or lose, he planned to sign her to his label. Gotta love how The Voice manages to kill the suspense — even in its season finale.)

Second Place
Jake Worthington

Winner
Josh Kaufman

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

Whoa. Maybe my power of prediction isn’t as damaged as I thought. As the confetti fell and the credits rolled, Josh declared himself overwhelmed, surprised, happy and relieved. Would’ve been nice if they’d let him sing one more time, though, no?

Your turn. How did you feel about the Season 6 finale? Take our polls below, then expand on your thoughts in the comments!

The Voice: 30 Best Performances of All Time

1. danin says:

Oh and I liked the Tim Mcgraw song in and of itself…now if I could only play guitar and sit down w/it and tenderize it.

2. Isa says:

it is nice Josh won. what with him being a grown man and jake not even out of hhigh school. i really did not feel pulled in by any of them. i find it a tad bit of a bummer the comments here are so jake negative. dude has time and room to grow. personally… he was pitchy as all get out though…. on “don’t close your eyes”__ the fact he sang old school country was cool. meh to the whole thing this go round.

• MSJ4321 says:

For me, I just did not think Jake was good enough to finish that highly. His voice was just limited. More so than the other contestants, the votes seemed to be for his coach rather than him.

Besides that, it rubbed me the wrong way how his seeming lack of intelligence – the boy can barely speak the English language – was equated with his being “authentic,” “real,” a “great personality” and “American.” Why is being dumber than dirt something to celebrate?

Just my opinion. :-)

3. danin says:

I just remembered Justin Bieber’s tweet to Usher….love him or hate him,if he did”have this” then many thanks.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I never thought these words would leave my mouth, but yes, thank you Biebs. Ugh. I need to take a shower now.

4. Kim Moores says:

“Josh finished ahead of Christina? What a Joke! In ten years, he’s going to be shoveling manure on a farm while Christina is picking up her 8th Grammy.”

Grimmie fans on another recap site…..
    Well, whenever I start to believe I’m a crazy a-hole I’ll refer back to this

• Angie_Overrated says:

What I love most about this hyperbolic gibberish is that Josh’s only two life options are singing or shoveling manure. That in and of itself is funny. I laughed. I did.

• Sarah says:

Angie…you truly are overrated.

• Angie_Overrated says:

[applies cold patch to burn]
          That was way harsh, Tai.
          But you’re a virgin who can’t drive, Sarah. So there.

• Sarah says:

That was a truly childish comment that says a lot about your character. I will not stoop to your level. I’m better than that. You don’t even know me. But I wish you well in your future endeavors.

• Angie_Overrated says:

No. You don’t get to insult me and then try to act like the bigger person when I snap back. Sorry. Doesn’t work that way. Try again.
            I’m getting a slightly psychotic vibe from you, so I’m gonna exit stage left now. I’m sorry I engaged you in any manner. I should have smelled the crazy from a mile away.

• Sarah says:

Love your comment!! Couldn’t have said it better myself! :)

• Sarah says:

Preach on Kim! Obviously you have taste. I loves your comment. Pay no mind to Angie. She has been harassing my comments all night. And I said everyone has a right to their own opinion. Obviously we have the same one when it comes to this subject.

• Angie_Overrated says:

You are aware that Kim was making fun of the gibberish coming from Grimmie fans on another site, right? Oh dear, you didn’t realize that. Oops. I’m sorry.
        Or that my comment that you felt the need to respond to was agreeing with Kim? Oh boy…

• Kim Moores says:

You must have missed the part where I indirectly called Grimmie fans crazy a-holes.
        I’ve seen your comments, Angie has graced you with 3 comments in total. Two of which were mere replies to your digs. Don’t mistake me for daft, please.
        And as you said, “everyone has a right to their own opinion” (giant logical fallacy, you’d be keen to look it up), you are thoroughly mistaken in believing we share the same opinion.
        #TeamJosh

• Kim Moores says:

Oh, looks like I missed 2 responses from Angie. Both of which were responses to your digs.

• Angie_Overrated says:

That was really funny. I’m not a big lol’er even if I type it a lot, but tonight’s been a riot. I’m kinda dying here. If only I could have been enjoying this with a beer.

• YouTuber’s fans are intense so it’s not shocking they feel that way. As well I’m still thinking producers picked their own winner because had Christina had won all the interviews would have brought up her massive following and tour with Selena Gomez and many collab videos making it look unfair to the other contestants anyway so with that I knew she wouldn’t win since day 1, but producers wanted her on because of the huge following. YouTubers have massive pull, but most people who aren’t in the space wouldn’t know or believe it.

5. TinLV says:

The right contestant won. Josh was hands-down the best of the season. But I was kind of surprised to see Grimmie come in 3rd; Jake may be really good someday, but he is just too young to be a believable country singer. Country music evokes heartbreak, love, loneliness and pain. The best country singers sound like they’ve been there and have experienced all that.. .. Jake doesn’t.. yet. Anyway, congrats to Josh, he deserves the win.

6. Sarah says:

This is all just silly. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. I just wish that more people could articulate themselves better. Enough said. Here’s to next season!!

• Kim Moores says:

“All those who truly thought that Josh actually deserved to win are obviously not actual singers or performers. If you were then you would understand how wrong it is that he “won” the voice! Hate it or not, you know deep down that I speak the truth. They’re are MANY out there who understand exactly what I mean. The show was completely rigged! Truly sad for all those true artists out there who are more deserving than he is.”

Vague doesn’t even begin to describe this statement from you. Not to mention brazen, assumptive, ill-informed, etc.
      Sorry, you don’t get the right to play victim with the “everyone has an opinion card” AND demand we articulate when you yourself cannot and have not.

• Meri says:

THIS. I’m glad I’m not the only one that caught how this paragraph actually had no substance to it. You think a professional would be able and willing to explain themselves. I know a lot of singers/performers who thought Josh was good so Sarah needs to elaborate beyond her credentials to enlighten me on her views invalidate theirs.

• Meri says:

On HOW her views invalidate theirs. I really wish we could edit original comments. Also Sarah: I have university degrees as well. What does that have to do with anything when talking about a TV show? It doesn’t automatically makes us smarter than people who don’t have them. These contestants were all good to an extent. That’s why they got to the point where they could audition for the coaches. That’s why the coaches complimented them. Usher stands by his man. Adam feels the idiot for letting Josh go. You’re more qualified than them to assess him? Impressive!!! Under what section at my local music store can I find your album?

• Angie_Overrated says:

I laughed at the MBA, phd in English, and PhD in philosophy one. Huh? Since when do any of those degrees qualify one to more adequately discuss a reality singing show? My husband has an MBA and doesn’t know the first thing about music. We had a funny conversation watching Idol one night where there was a song neither of us had ever heard and I yelled “flat!” when the singer went flat. He started arguing with me that I couldn’t possibly know it was flat if I didn’t know the song. It was a classic conversation and to this day he still swears I’m wrong no matter how many different ways I explain chords to him with demonstrations on the piano. lol
            And yes, I’d agree anyone from this season who made it to the end has something going on. Other seasons less so because the talent pool wasn’t as great, but this season was ridiculous. Even Jake I think I see what people saw, even though I didn’t really agree.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Josh was always amazing. From his blind audition all the way through the end. What impressed me most was his control. Whatever sound he wanted to make, no matter how nuanced, he made it happen. That’s a very challenging feat to accomplish. I liked Sisaundra, Kat, and Delvin more, but I’m very pleased with this outcome nonetheless.
          I can’t be bothered by people who state unsubstantiated, wild, and inflammatory opinions with nothing to back them up, then get pissy when a rebuttal doesn’t bother to substantiate his/her rebuttal. I finished grade school in the 80s, and I don’t intend to regress backwards. lol

7. Holly molly says:

I thought Josh blew fire in the rain. I like jake, but it seems like its hard for him to get breath. I am still unsure how much i like Christina’s voice. I love parts of it. So, i dont know. I wish there would be a singer like linda ronstadt next season.

• Meri says:

You are by far the most on point about Jake and Christina. Her soft notes are great. Her glory notes are not. I got a headache from her a few times and I do mean that literally. I’m by no means trying to be rude there. I really did. Usher is right on the Celine comparison with regards to the soft notes. But Celine was more polished on the big moments by her early 20s. Her voice needs to further ripen in that aspect. Jake needs to work on breath control. Once he’s done that, I think he will do well in country.

8. Luciana says:

I loved seeing Josh win. The only sour notes for the evening were seeing Sisaundra, Delvin, and others who should have been at least in Jake’s place.

9. Kaba says:

Read this in the Washington Post:

“In a recent interview with The Post, Season 6 contestant Ddendyl Hoyt — who was on Team Shakira — said that she was envious of her friends on Usher’s team, because they all raved about how the R&B mega-star made a genuine effort to mentor his singers, even off-camera”

This is why I love Usher.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Interesting. I can see that. Usher strikes me as a really nice guy who also happens to know his stuff. Blake too but to a lesser extent on the “know his stuff” side of the equation. Kind of a dig at Shaki though. I know if I were on the show and could choose any of the 4, I’d quickly choose Usher or Blake. With Pharell coming through, he’d be my first pick.

• Kaba says:

Big producer Pharrell..oh he and Usher would have me torn. Of the 8 judges my top half would be Usher, Pharrell, Christina, Blake. In that order. Unsure about Stefani. The other 3 are an absolute no thanks.
        It is a bit of a dig, but I doubt she means anything mean. I’m not surprised someone would be envious, they come on this show to get the learning experience. Clearly Usher is giving the absolute best he can afford to give to his team.

• Angie_Overrated says:

The only reason not to choose Usher or Xtina is if you got to the end, you’d have to sing with them and they’d blow you out of the water. lol And that is probably the one and only benefit to being on Adam’s team.
          Usher and Blake are 100% invested. If Pharrell Williams is as well, he can join that group.
          Man, I’m gonna miss this show. I really did love this season. Best one ever in my opinion.

• Kaba says:

But then you get to say you sang with legends.
            Pharrell, Usher, and Christina are friggen legends. I’d love to sing with them. Shakira’s a legend too, but I’ll decline.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I would kill to sing with Usher. A female voice harmonizing with a tenor is almost always pretty. Case in point the Christina Grimmie Ed Sheeran duet tonight. That was glorious. A friend of mine from undergrad sang backup for Xtina. lol She doesn’t have too many kind things to say about her, but I still respect Ms. Aguilera for being the anti-Katy Perry.

• Kaba says:

I’d probably go to war to sing with Usher too, even if I suck!
            Oh boy, Aguilera is as bad as the she’s made out to be? Great, just great. I kind of wished she was nicer than TV paints her out to be.

• HTGR says:

Goes to prove that it’s a fool’s game to judge such things from the show. Not that I saw it myself, I didn’t get that impression, but so many people kept commenting about how Usher clearly didn’t seem to care and was totally checked out this season. So much for that!
          Personally I think 95% of the things about personality and effort that people read into off what they see on these shows is nonsense. There is no way to judge such things watching a reality tv show. And yet it seems like a good chunk of viewers count such things more than most when it comes to voting.

• Nichol says:

Aside from being a fan, I’ve always had a lot of respect for Usher’s work ethic and commitment to performance excellence. In interviews in the past he has talked a lot about his own preparation before a big tour or performance. He works hard to be physically fit and not just dancing but also is not averse to talking about working with a vocal coach himself to get tuned-up (so to speak) vocally. If you’ve ever seen him perform on his tours he’s quite awesome. To dance the way he does and still sing the way he does… Wow. On the Voice web site there’s stuff you don’t see on the show. A lot is just fluff but I was struck by some videos of each of the top 12 contestants talking about what its like behind the scenes. Both Josh and TJ mentioned one of the things they really appreciated was their daily sessions with a vocal coach. In one clip you can briefly hear the coach telling Josh about the things Usher and his team wanted them to work on. Now I’m sure this is something the Voice provides all contestants but these 2 were the only ones who mentioned it. You get the sense that Usher is all in. I’d definitely pick him.

• Nit Picker Jr says:

Heh- about the same comment was made (in general terms) about Will.I.Am after season 1 of The Voice UK – apparently he was more into tweeting than mentoring, according to articles – yet season 2 that didn’t seem to matter much. Contestants wanted Big Name Will. Coaches wanted to be Will. Just goes to show we should probably not believe everything we see or read on the Internet? ;)

For my appearance on The Voice, I’d do a deep delta blues-y rendition of Blackbird (chrome guitar, harmonica, left foot), get a swift and hollerin’ four-chair turn, do a tounge-in-cheek ‘eenie-meenie’ and then go with Pharell. But that’s me.

10. Kaba says:

Josh auditioned for Xfactor s1 and was unsuccessful? Did they see the old heads on Xfactor season 1? Josh would have laid waste to any of them.

11. Gloria Cory says:

I like Josh and I am glad he won the Voice, he have an unique voice congratulations Josh Kaufman for winning the Voice enjoy the win you deserve it.

12. Adrian says:

I am so happy that Josh won. He deserved the win and I am glad the Voice addressed the iTunes problem. But I am also relieved but surprised that the iTunes result really did not affect the final outcome. Not sure if it is a PC thing to say, but when both Josh and Jake have more votes than Christina, I am really surprised. I guess the Voice producers finally realize that they can’t do much to rig the result without jeopardizing the result of the show. The show though in general was pretty good. I love One Republic’s “Love Runs Out” and Ryan Teddler must feel a bit pressure after Josh sort of brought down the house with his latest single last week. But I think Ryan did a respectable job, and it is a great way to start the show. However I am sort of disappointed that Ryan did not write Josh a coronation song. I sort of like that tradition but I guess it is hard to write a good song with that short amount of time. Ed Sheeran’s duet with Christina was definitely one of my favorite performances tonight, and Christina really does not need to scream at all times. Both their voices melt together. Ed’s “SING” rocks too. Ed Sheeran is just an amazing singer-song writing and his vocal is just so beautiful. I feel that Josh really held his ground on that performance with Robin Thicke, but I wish they can find some singer that can have more chemistry with the artists. Alabama’s duet with Jake was also fun. In general, it was a good night and I am glad that Voice brought back many contestants from this season. I have to point out that Sisaundra might not find herself exiting from this show so early if she picks more contemporary songs. She proved tonight that she could handle a 2014 song just as well. If age is already sort of putting you in a disadvantage, you can overcome it, especially she does not look old. Josh is not young too, but Usher’s selection of all the top 100 chart songs makes sense. He shows that he can handle both timeless classics and current hit songs. Can’t wait to read your full review tomorrow!

13. Mikko says:

Whoever should have won, I think most of the people agree, that it is exciting, when the results show was so unpredictable. I was sure my favorite Jake would win because of iTunes and country music love, but it was Josh in the end.
    AI has been so predictable, that this results show was really refreshing, when you did not know, what will happen.
    I also wrote earlier, that if Jake would win, it would be a real American dream to come true. But when it looked like, that Josh could be the 3rd, it is the same with Josh now, and I am happy for him, although Jake was my favorite. He was really chosen by people, and there was not any manipulation to try to make him the winner. Very good.
    All this goes to show also, that at least in this kind of situation, predictions will come true only because of luck, not that people could really weigh on, who will win. Anyway, congrats to you, Michael, for being right in this prediction lottery what comes to the winner of this season!

14. Sarah says:

Jana and Angie, comment back to me when you’ve both gone to college, got your masters in business and a doctorate in English and philosophy. Please don’t respond. I don’t feel the need to defend myself or MY opinions to either of you. You’ve both made your points. Thank you.

• Kaba says:

*Wonders how many people think I’m a woman….*
      Yeah, no. Last time I checked one doesn’t need a doctorate to have a talk about an NBC reality TV singing show. I’m also curious as to how useful those degrees have been for you, my guess is…minimally, considering you are absolutely all over the place in your talks avec nous. Though I’m guessing you’ve succeeded in derailing the talk from being about your commentary about Josh.
      Congrats. You’re nuttier than squirrel poo.

15. Sarah says:

Just let it go. Be adults in this situation. I respect your opinions as you should mine. Now can we all just look forward to next season?!

16. Sarah says:

And I apologize if I offended anyone. I meant to spell Jaba, but my auto text corrected it. I am sorry about that. As women we should not be fighting. Let’s just agree to disagree.

17. Colleen says:

I am sooooo happy that Josh won! This season of the Voice was great while this season of American Idol is the worst ever. Way to go Josh, and thank you to Usher for saving him after Adam the idiot let him go.

18. Cindy says:

IMHO, Jake had no business in the top 8, let alone 5 or 3. Yes, he seemed like an incredibly sweet kid, but his vocal skills were seriously lacking. He had a decent chest voice, but wow, when he hit head register, it went right into his nose and the strain on the vocal mechanism caused a LOT of pitch breaks. I honestly felt that the top 3 should have been Josh, Christina and Kristen. Kristen’s voice was gorgeous … it had a perfect bell shaped quality… like fine crystal. Sadly, I feel the country music fans (zealots) lifted a much less talented contestant over her. I feel Christina has a lovely voice, and while some call what she does with the “big notes” screeching, She actually has a great deal of vocal control in those upper registers, without going over the top with vibrato! She also has amazing skills at taking a song from forceful to soft, effortlessly. Try to shout and then immediately whisper very softly, and feel what a difficult vocal maneuver it is. She does it beautifully. Say what you will, but the a capella portion of CHFILWY was flawless and very easy on the ears. She IS talented and skilled… and IMO of the top 5, she and Josh really knew how to work the stage and not just sing, but entertain. However, as much as I found Christina to be a very talented young gal, I found Josh to be even better. I was not all that thrilled with SFTTR, but week after week, the man delivered… and his ballads were pretty spot on beautiful. He has incredible vocal flexibility and a massive amount of soulfulness, his stage presence was excellent and appropriate for the type of song he was singing each time, and IMO, he was the most innately talented contestant this season. I feel that this and last season have crowned the best “VOICE” the show had to offer. They missed the season prior, when it should have gone to Michelle, but since then, the best VOICE has won, IMO. Congrats to all of them, though. I hope they all achieve their dreams.

19. cassie says:

Grimmie will be the biggest star of all of them. Josh, is great but not very marketable. Jake will do well but I think the biggest chart topper will be Grimmie. She should have won…imo.

20. jimmy says:

Why does my favorite always make it to the finale but not win? 😭

21. Katie says:

I was absolutely psyched to see Josh win!! I originally first started watching the show to cheer Christina on as I’ve been following her since her baby days on youtube, but quickly fell in love with Josh. I can’t wait to see what he has in store for the future!

I am also happy to see Christina gain a deal with Adam to sign on to his label. For the naysayers, she really does have a beautiful voice. I felt her song choices this season were just not suited to her capability. The song she sang with Ed Sheeran last night was gorgeous and reminded me more of her than anything else.

So, I’m happy both ways! :D Congrats to the both of them.

22. Sarah says:

Really disappointed with Adam opened the show with a contract offer to Christina. Kind of a jerk move and took something away from Josh’s well deserved win.

• Colleen says:

That is typical Adam, trying to save face after he GUARANTEED that Christina would win, just like he guaranteed that Kat would be in the finale.

23. Kathleen sroka says:

No should not been josh it should been the girl

24. John Kizer says:

I became a Christina Grimmie fan during season 6 and believe she should have won even though I love Josh K and am very happy for him and his family. Not happy with Justin Bieber using his fan base, which is said to be about 50 million, by tweeting them saying he has Usher’s back and encouraging his base to vote for Usher’s man Josh K. That plus not being able to use the itunes votes kinda makes me feel like Christina may have been robbed….although being signed by Adam is probably much better for her career. Wishing all God’s best for all 3 contestants and hoping to see them all with big hits in the near future. .

• M says:

I would have been livid about Usher using Justin Beiber if and a very very very big IF Adam hadn’t done it the week before to save Christina. Justin tweeted out that Adam had called him to help him instant save her and that is the only reason why she even made it to the finale.

Usher using Adam’s own dirty tactic’s against him made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

25. Ted says:

So….. the guy that wears the doofus-looking hats won. That’s OK by me, although I was never a fan. I do wish him well and hope that he has the kind of success that has eluded other winners of The Voice :-)

• Billy Bob says:

Yes, Josh the hobbit will have the mega super star success as Javier Colon and Jermaine Paul. Tessanne is already old news and The Voice is hyping season 7 already.

• davey says:

Tessanne is still in the process of releasing her album and the tour will go on this summer as her album comes out. So I wouldn’t call her old news yet.

26. Wire Dream says:

So, Adam signs (or will) Christina to his label. Where she’ll, no doubt, fade into obscurity like 99.99% of every other Voice contestant and winner since the show’s inception.

27. Sharon says:

Would have like to have seen it be Josh, Christina, and then Jake. I think they were all great in their own way. I did love the way Adam and Christina sounded together. I would buy an album done by the two of them.

28. Dee says:

So pleased with the results! It would have been awesome to hear Josh sing one victory song but what can you do!

29. Caitlyn says:

It seems like only certain types of music have any chance at all of winning this show … specifically country music and “soulful” music. I find that a bit sad really, and I’m a country music fan. Even someone as awesome as Michelle couldn’t win with her alternative style. As a matter of fact, Usher probably got her as far as she went, by choices that took her out of her wheelhouse. So many fine artists that don’t stick to these styles, have faded fast, and to me it’s not good for the show.

30. Patrick says:

I was pleased with the outcome. I was pretty worried that it would be Jake, and was one of those who would have probably called it quits if that had been the final result. Not very mature of me, but there is something about the block voting that gets me. I’m willing to accept a country artist winning, if I feel like an argument could be made for their vocal ability. There just wasn’t anything unique about Jake. Sure that can be applied to lots of contestants, but he was the most limited I felt.

• HTGR says:

Yeah, I mean someone like Jennifer Nettles I could understand getting sent all the way, she is country but also good performance skills and a great voice. In many cases it seems like simply have the first of three is enough (being country). For other genres, that gets you nowhere, nobody has ever won just because they are rock or pop. In fact a rock singer has never won reality tv ever and, surprisingly, for the U.S. versions, even a true pure pop singer hasn’t won in ages.

31. Patrick says:

Things I’d like to see in the future for this show —

1) Less matching of artist to coach in terms of genre. I get that’s what they KNOW, but I think the competition could be more fun if you have less Blake-Jake scenarios and more Adam-Amanda Brown types. Challenge the singer and the coach. (I was actually excited when Sisaundra picked Blake, because of that potential.)

2) Having a more diverse selection of songs to sing. The genres and songs they use are terribly limited, and you constantly compare not just versus the original, but all the other performances being done on all the other reality shows. I’d even be up for more originals, or maybe some obscure songs. Adam has done that before, and it hasn’t necessarily worked to his advantage.
    _
    3) Have singers perform songs outside of their specialty, and not just -ized versions.

I guess I like the idea of it being a true competition that challenges the singers, coaches, and viewers alike.

• Caitlyn says:

I totally agree with this. On the Singoff, they have weeks where each artist has to select a song within a specific genre. That format is considerably better if you ask me. I might have appreciated Josh more as an artist, if he was singing a wider variety. It’s not Josh’s fault that he sings a style I really don’t care for.

• davey says:

I don’t really see the point of a singer singing totally out of his genre, though I do think the singers need to be challenged more to grow on the show. But the judges have given the singers songs outside of their genres — sometimes it works beautifully, other times it bombs.

• Patrick says:

I don’t disagree. I wouldn’t envision them completely abandonimg their primary genre. I see it more where we get a chance to see more of what they are capable. I definitely agree that they need to be challenged more.

• Caitlyn says:

I don’t know if you have ever watched the Singoff, but what tends to happen on that show is that an artist will pick a song outside their specialty that works with what they do, and put their own spin in it. There are two I remember the most. There was a Rap-a-pela group called Urban Method, that did “Before you Cheat” on country week. It still contained the country element, but had a very short rap included. It was simply fantastic. That same season, the eventual winner, Pentatonics did “Born to be Wild” on hard rock week. They did such an amazing job, the judges couldn’t comment because of all the fans screaming.

• Patrick says:

I have never watched it. I remember the ads in the past, and I’m guessing I was just burned out with the music competitions and getting far too wrapped up in it all! I’ll definitely look into it and it sounds like it already does a lot of what I’d like to see.

• davey says:

The Pentatonix are pretty phenomenal and creative. Not all the singers on the Voice (and Idol) are musically adept and changing up songs and doing creative arrangements. I wish they were because it makes the performances less karaoke. One reason Will Champlin was so interesting were his arrangements, which he could do with his musical training. Singers like Sisaundra would benefit by being a little more daring with their approach to songs. Jake was an example of someone who make songs sound pretty much the same all the time.

32. Billy Bob says:

Javier, Jermaine, and Josh… enough said :)

33. Judy Halberstadt says:

Yea Josh, but seriously 2 hrs. It was about the competitors, not current stars. I was bored by invited artists. I stopped watching after an hour. Checked results on line.

• davey says:

I wasn’t bored by the invited artists at all, except Robin Thicke. There were a lot of country artists, considering how many country shows there already are on network TV. But I like hearing new songs by artists like Ed Sheeran and Coldplay and Niko.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Oh, I kind of loved the Robin Thicke / Josh Kaufman duet. It was one of my favorite performances of the night.

34. Patrick says:

Seeking honest opinons here. When Jake did his “Summertime” group song, did anyone else feel he was the worst singer on that team, some of them not even making it out of the knockout rounds? I guess I felt that way. I do think the group songs are less about making the finalist look great, but I felt like with Christina’s she fit right in. Jake’s was fun, but it was like he was their backup.

• Caitlyn says:

I think perhaps country music doesn’t focus so much on technical ability, and has more focus on an almost home-town quality. Jake did a great job making a little family of the people he selected. Truth be told there were probably at least four country artists that technically hit the notes better, but none of them connected on Jake’s level.

I can move this thought over to another genre, Alt/Indie. We have had some really excellent singers on past shows in this genre, and none of them seem to last long. Most don’t even make the live shows. The judges get all fixated on the pocket and singing perfect scales, and completely forget that it’s a style of music where the vocals often stray and wander. I remember when Holly Henry did Creep and was hammered by the judges for being behind the pocket and slipping in to notes. Hello .. that is EXACTLY what the style of music is supposed to do. Apparently none of them have ever been to a Radiohead or Muse concert. I feel like Bria Kelly was hurt by that kind of thinking this season. Yes, he often missed and often got ahead of the song. Ever heard of Janice Joplin?

• Patrick says:

Good points. As for the alt/indie sound, it seems like Melanie Martinez went the farthest in the seasons I’ve watch. She had the advantage of really memorably performances, and maybe even with Christina’s negativity, giving her more of that underdog feeling a the time, that may have resonated with people.
        __
        I remember when Caroline Glaser performed and I thought…”I could listen to that voice all day” (and it’s not necessarily my preferred style of music). There is something for subtlety that gets lost in the voice, with it’s constant reaching for bigger notes.

• Caitlyn says:

I loved Caroline Glaser. Then again, I’m biased … I value creativity and being a little different or quirky above almost anything else on the show. Melanie was perhaps my favorite artist that has ever been on the show. It’s almost a sad commentary that Michelle from a few season’s ago wasn’t doing anything in iTunes sales and wasn’t causing much us a buzz, until Usher started having her do pop music. I must be missing something. I love country music. I love Alt/Indie music. I can listen to classical music so loud my cats hide under the bed, but pop music … when it comes on the radio in my car, I can’t hit the change button fast enough.

• Patrick says:

I’m also all over the place in terms of my musical tastes. I’ll go from classical to prog rock/metal to blues, etc. Country isn’t a genre I appreciate very much.

Nice to see I wasn’t alone with Caroline Glaser or Melanie. I do think it’s a shame when song choices are the key and not the performance itself.

35. Romy says:

I agree about Tess. She was my favorite. She reminded me a bit of Kelly Clarkson. I hope she makes it.

36. CanadianJane says:

Michael, thanks for including your five best moments. Agree with all of them, even though I’m not as sure of Tess’s staying power as you are. It will be all about the songs.

We re-watched One Republic’s Love Runs Out at least five times. Absolutely one of the best live performances (sound, song and sensory experience) I’ve ever seen on a TV music reality or awards show. The song made huge gains on iTunes after that and well should become the summer anthem of 2014.

I was pleasantly surprised and thrilled that Josh pulled off the win, but like you was doubting your powers of prediction. Congrats on being right about who the winner would be. I really enjoy your funny, cogent, not-taking-yourself-too-seriously analysis. Kudos.

37. mitzi says:

Most of the singers today seem to think that the louder & screachy they sound is suppose to be music. I’m not fond of rock and perfer country (never use to). Josh had some good songs but Jake took my heart. Even though some of his songs were a little off. So humble and real. Hope he continues in music field. Comment by mitzi – May 21, 2014 3:30 p.m.

38. I found another post about how the contract they had to sign before going on the show was leaked and stated, NBC can make whoever win they wanted, they could ignore America’s vote.. etc etc.. but at this point all singing shows like this are rigged to some point. I seriously thought since Grimme had a bigger fan base, she would of won this hands down. But on the other hand, I was really cheering for Jake to win.. I didn’t see Josh winning this. In the end, Josh is stuck with the voice – nbc contract. Grimmie is getting signed by Adam, someone needs to sign Jake, then it’s a win win..

39. Here’s my thoughts though. I think that “glitch” was just too good of a timing because Christina’s song was in the top 5 since the night before. The girl has over 2 million subs, toured with Selena Gomez and had a ton of people on social media (not just twitter) voting for her and downloading her song. I’ve seen YouTubers skew rewards show results before so I’m a little shocked in this case she didn’t win, but my theory is she actually did, but with the iTunes voting thrown out it gave the producers the perfect chance to pick a winner because I think people would have said Christina only won because of her already huge following, which is fine because what winner of The Voice has actually been successful. Grimmie has a platform for launch and now a label so I’m sure she will be fine, but my issues come up with how producers do and probably did in the case skew results in their favor after all the fine print on tv says they are allowed to do that basically. It’s just dumb why have a reality singing competition if producers will pick their own winner anyway?

• M says:

Throwing out the weeks Itunes Josh still would have been the winner. Josh has week after week outsold and outlasted Christina on the Itunes charts. All of those sales through the season counted toward their total in the final. As soon as they said they had thrown out the numbers from the finale Itunes I knew Josh had won it. It was virtually mathematically impossible for Christina to best him when it came to itunes. As for the other voting methods Justin Bieber tweeted that Adam had called him and asked him to help save Christina in the Voice Save on Top 5 night which was not fair towards Kristen at all, since she legitimately would have come in third that week. Usher then turned that around on Adam and for the finals Justin tweeted out the number for people to call and the nbc vote link and told them to vote for Josh Kaufman.

Under normal circumstances that would have irked me just as much as the obvious producer/Adam dirty tricks they seemed to play all season to favor Christina, but since turn about is fair play I’m glad he gave them a dose of their own medicine and it worked.

Personally I think Adam planned to win. The Producers planned for Christina to win. They didn’t count on Usher or the massive backlash that came their way with botching the itunes for Josh. With their credibility on the line and likely Usher rightfully stomping his feet they put the winners in the correct order and Josh won. You could tell Adam was LIVID about it, and it was almost like the producers had conceded 3 minutes to Adam at the beginning of the show to give Grimmie his no matter what you’re signed speech. None of the other coaches were given an opportunity to address their artists like that and even then you could tell Adam was mad because she wasn’t even on the stage at the time.

As soon as he did that I knew for certain Christina didn’t win. She wasn’t surprised or shocked by it, she was tweeting hints before the show even aired.

The producers are still of questionable integrity and I have no respect for Adam, which sucks as he was once my favorite coach. Serves them right to have all that effort and calculating backfire in their faces, which makes Josh’s win all the sweeter imho.

• M says:

Oh and one other thing I noticed. When they did announce Josh both Blake and Shakira got out of their chairs and congratulated Usher. Adam just sat in his chair and didn’t move like a 2 year old.

I’m sorry Usher left the show. He was a good coach.

• Patrick says:

Interesting post. Also got me thinking — it seemed like anytime they did save/elimination part of the show, Grimmie always looked really nervous, almost panicky. Certainly having Adam say earlier that she’d be signed takes a load off, but when they said she was 3rd place…it was like…”oh..no big deal…” as if she was ready for it.

I know Adam gave Usher a little wink at the very end…wonder if that meant more.

40. Congrats to Josh! To be quite honest, I would buy music from either Josh or Jake. I thought Jake was pretty good the last few weeks. But in this Voice world, I just thought Josh was better. Sorry Jake. If it’s any consolation, I’ll be buying your music too when it comes out.

41. I think the Voice got it right, Josh is the one that will need the most help to succeed in this industry. Jake will have a record contract within a month and we’ll be hearing his country voice on the radio by the end of the Summer. I think that the voting was skewed but in such a way that all concerned parties make out. It’s all a sham, nothing is what it seems. But in the end good people get a chance to make their dreams come true. IMHO…

42. paul s says:

Jake should have won he is a much better singer than Josh or even Christina would have been better choice than josh winning. We have decided to stop watching especially since the boob showing Christina is coming back.

43. paul s says:

I have heard rumors that the producer’s are picking the winner’s anybody else hear this.

44. Hmm it seems like your website ate my first comment (it was super long)
    so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your
    blog. I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to the whole thing.
    Do you have any tips for inexperienced blog writers?
    I’d genuinely appreciate it.

45. patdamico says:

Dear The Voice: I’m sorry I ever doubted you.

That was one of the best, contestant performed finales I’ve ever seen. I actually stopped my DVR to rewind and replay “Am I Wrong” over and over. It was SO good. Josh was sublime on “Get Her Back,” but it was hard to tell if you didn’t pay close attention, because Thicke was stepping all over Josh’s parts whenever he could (that had to be the least gracious performance by a “star” on any of these finales I’ve seen).

I couldn’t have cared less who won AI. No offense to the loyal diehards, but that J-Lo Variety Hour is such a mess. I know I’ll get a lot of flak for this, but, IMO, The Voice gets everything right that AI gets wrong. I did make sure I fast-forwarded so I could check out Jessica’s performance, and, wow. She sounded great, more than held her own with Jennifer Nettles . No worries there. If she plays her cards right, she’ll probably have a bigger career than either Caleb or Jena (sorry, Michael, but I’m not a fan of either one of those).

Josh Kaufman won. I can’t get over it. My favorites never win these shows. I’ve not bought a reality contestant’s full CD, like ever, but I’ll be pre-ordering his.

• amy hanscom says:

this was the first season I too was pleased with the out come. after julette lewis lost I said I was done watching. my faith was renewed

46. Jan says:

My question is how in the world did they ever make the mistake with Josh’s iTunes song when so much is riding on it for these contestants? How does that happen? That is the weirdest thing about this whole competition.

47. Jan says:

I would have loved to see Stevie Jo move ahead in the competition to see what he could have done. His rendition of John Legend’s All of Me is much better than Josh’s was. Check it out on YouTube.

48. ggs says:

I think the correct contestant won but not the correct coach. I think that it was fixed. I think usher insisted on winning so Adam was forced to cut josh so Usher could steal him. So disappointed that I amy not watch next season if full of himself Usher is back

49. MARTIN SMITH says:

NO WAY!! THE BEST AND MOST TALENTED
    SINGERS WERE VOTED OFF!! WHY CALL IT
    THE VOICE??
    CALL IT TEAM WHATEVER OR FAN FAVORITES
    BUT NOT THE VOICE!!

50. Harry Hodag says:

The Voice has evolved into a joke. Anyone with any sense of musical ability saw Sisaundra Lewis as the clear “voice” of the show early on. So by eliminating her, the credibility of the voting process shrank to zero. Grimmie: “talent” and “Internet” clearly don’t align with her. She has a mediocre voice as best, but apparently, to some, had ‘talent’. Jake: mediocre country singer, in fact, less talented than Audra by a mile. Again, the voters got it wrong. Josh is a good guy, but lets put him side by side with Sisaundra, best out of three and tell me he would even win once. Why waste 13 weeks of watching when all that matters is how you do with a certain demographic and I-Tunes?

• James says:

Lewis will probably do fine in the world of music..maybe off/on broadway..maybe an album or two..She needs to clean up the personality of being SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO serious and on thew verge of crying at any moment..She was voted off for her incincerity and fake humbleness and fake passion…That got in the way of a pretty good voice…Her BEST moment was her presentation WHEN she came back and did a group thing at the end…