Ratings: Billboard Music Awards Hit 13-Year Audience High, Mentalist Finale Surges

Billboard Music Awards RatingsABC’s coverage of the Billboard Music Awards on Sunday night drew 10.5 million total viewers and a 3.5 rating, up 11 percent in audience year-over-year — hitting a 13-year high — while matching 2013’s 11-year demo high.

CBS’ finale line-up nonetheless held up well, with both The Amazing Race (8.2 mil/1.7) and The Good Wife (9 mil/1.2) staying steady in the demo (though down a good 25 percent versus last year), while The Mentalist finale (9.7 mil/1.5) — which TVLine readers gave an average grade of “A-“ — surged 13 and 16 percent week-to-week (yet was down two tenths in the demo from its previous closer).

RELATED | The Good Wife EPs Talk Alicia’s ‘Most Cynical Move Ever,’ ‘Uncomfortable’ Kalinda-Cary Sex and a ‘Younger,’ Riskier Diane

Over on Fox, Family Guy (3.9 mil/2.0) ticked down a tenth while Bob’s Burgers, American Dad, The Simpsons and Cosmos all held steady.

RELATED | Read Our Recaps for Cable Television’s Game of Thrones and Mad Men

That Coldplay thing opened NBC’s anemic night with 1.7 mil and a 0.4. American Dream Builders followed with season lows of 1.8 mil/0.4, while a Women of Saturday Night Live special encore did 2.5 mil/0.8.

1. I’m so happy for The Mentalist!!

2. sa says:

That’s terrible ratings for a season finale for the Good Wife. Last season the season finale fetched 1.6. The episode was okay but I am not really excited for the next season.The hiatus is going to be very comfortable for the first time and I am not sure I will be watching when it returns..

3. Cas says:

I think the Mentalist did so well because it was renewed. I could be wrong but I bet it helped. I know I have about 8 episodes to catch up on but I was waiting to see if it was renewed or not. Because if it wasn’t I was just going to say screw it. I am still upset Van Pelt and Rigsby aren’t going to be in it but maybe I am wrong :)

• Dark Defender says:

Van Pelt and Rigsby have always been the “romance” couple on the show. They had to re-boot (with their happy ending) so they could get to the Jane/Lisbon pairing. They couldn’t hook them up without taking the necesary time to build the relationship to the point we get in the end scene of the finale… and having more than one “coupling” being hte focus of the non-COTW part of the show would have bben too much, so something had to go and that was Van Pelt and Rigsby.

4. Elyse says:

I don’t know about anyone else but I was really happy with the winners of the Amazing Race last night!

5. Britt says:

The Amazing Race was soooo predictable. They hardly ever do anything to try and mix up the order of contestants. All the obstacles seem too easy in the last couple of years. I also didn’t really care for The Good Wife last night. I was really bored, but I feel like I’m in the minority there. I loved Devious Maids though!!!!!

6. Matt says:

I’m sure critics and loyal viewers were satisfied with The Good Wife’s finale (and overall season) but – as fan myself – I’m not very optimistic about next season.

And if it took this kind of creative resurgence for the show to barely stay above the 1.0 demo mark, I have a strong feeling that original episodes next year will dip below 1.0.

• ST says:

I have been a fan of the show from the first season and I agree with you.. The premise of the next season doesn’t excite me at all..A lot of things in the show don’t make sense, and they seem to be more interesting in putting as many plot twists as possible..This used to be a smart show… I don’t get why all the critics are choosing to overlook the flaws..they refuse to write anything negative about the good wife..but the ratings are showing..The last four episodes, the ratings have been in the 1.1 to 1.2 range which is the lowest the show has seen..I predict further fall next season in the fall when the good wife will be facing more competition from other channels..

• Coal says:

I fully agree with you. There was a time in my life when The Good Wife was a must she show, but these days I’m not really bothered I’m even behind by a couple of episodes.

7. Margaret says:

So happy the ratings were high for The Mentalist because it is such a fun show. I was happy to see Jane and Lisbon finally open up about their feelings for one another. Good show!