'Ship Shape: How Your Fave Pairs From Nashville, Grey's, TVD, Castle and Other Shows Are Faring

TV finales often take your heart and play with it like a yo-yo with shocking car crashes, untimely deaths and a whole lot of heartbreak — and this past week of finales can check off all of those boxes.

So grab the tissues and check out this installment of ‘Ship Shapea recurring feature in which TVLine provides you with the latest developments for TV’s hottest duos — and then offers our forecast for each pairing.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

Don’t see your favorite love match represented here? Give ‘em a shout out below and maybe they’ll merit a mention the next go-around.

And with that said, this ‘ship is about to set sail, so click through our gallery and hop aboard!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: 'Ship Shape, Photo Gallery

1. Shar says:

Castle was a big letdown on several levels – the crash, Kate’s first marriage and I know it’s petty but would Lainie really let someone else pick out her bridesmaid dress..she would so go shopping with Kate! The only bright spot.. the death of that really ugly wedding dress.

• DeeDee says:

Agreed!

My take on Spoiler alert: Castle found in coma, awaken to Kate’s kiss, but does not remember her. Then we wastes all next season trying to tigger his memory.

• Annie says:

Oh good Lord. If that’s where they go, I – yes, I’m gonna pull this chestnut out and I will mean every.single.word of it – will never watch this show again.

• Just one thing says:

I think you’d be joined by many, many others.
          Though I do hope the new arc is darker and adds some depth to the horrible finale, I really hope they don’t do anything soapy. ::shudders::

• S. says:

I think you need to stop making up scenarios to get mad about and refuse to watch over before they happen—and they won’t. He’ll be fine, they’ll get married. Calm down, everybody.

• Annie says:

Oh goodness – It has nothing to do with them getting married or not. Who cares? Well, I guess obviously some do – I, however, do not. Frankly I didn’t want them getting together in the first place, but that happened, and I kept watching. No, if this “Castle has amnesia” plotline is actually implemented, I will no longer be watching because at that point, the show’s morphed way too far beyond what drew me to it in the first place. Do you understand now? Have a cookie. You’ll feel better.

• Briggs says:

I think you’ve forgotten what show you’re watching. Castle tries for at least *some* realism on a show that’s essentially detective fiction. Zombie episode in the 4th season, anyone?

My thought is he got kidnapped by the guys in the black car, they set *his* car on fire to make it look like he’s dead, and by the end of the (possibly) two-part season premiere, Beckett will have somehow bullied his dad into helping her find him (don’t ask me how, we don’t have enough details to even know who ‘ran’ him off the road). We know Castle has enough enemies that his being kidnapped is a good possibility.

Besides, we all know Martha has done enough soap opera for all of them… (said lovingly)

• Mary says:

I hope (and believe) that scenario of yours won´t come to be true – no coma, please! BUT, ater rewatching the episode, the finale wasn´t, in any way, a letdown to me – loved the cliffhanger!

• shirley says:

Nathan said on late night that this was going to be light.
          This was not what I would call light.
          I sat on the edge of my seat waiting for a wedding.

• whynot says:

i think the serial killer (can’t remember his name hk maybe) and his girlfriend kidnaps castle brain washes him into thinking he’s a killer and Kate and crew spend the season trying to find him lol

• Luli says:

Tha just sounds a lot like Once Upon A Time…

• lame says:

The last minuet interruption routine is getting worn thin, with so many other options why revert to season 4 & 5 antics.

• shirley says:

I am soooo afraid you may be right on this.

• Rick says:

I am afraid you are right. Castle can be in a coma for most of the season while guest actors take his place and Nathan take those big roles in movies that get mentioned only on these comments. Then with amnesia he can go back to being a playboy and maybe write another book while Kate tries to get him to remember her. Last show he does and quick wedding.

• Annie says:

Pretty much, yes. They really dropped the ball over and over again with that script. I hope they take the summer to think about what they did. [insert stern scary mom face here]

• Patrick says:

They should do a time jump. 1-2 years should have passed. Beckett will be just starting to recover, but the entire precinct should be gloomy sans Ricky. KB will be going on some dates. They won’t even have investigated because of corpse switchery, faked dental records, etc. They don’t think its a murder. Martha and his kid will be pretty depressed, but trying to move on with life. Alexis will be doing better, believing her dad would want her to move on.

Rick should be held captive (for some reason), and possibly have wasted months of that captivity in a coma. Regardless, he will have been sustained by the sure knowledge that his pals in the NYPD will soon be coming for him.

Only they don’t, because they weren’t looking for him.

The case of the week will be one which features the team having trouble solving a quirky case only to realize at the end that there was a subtle piece of evidence that Castle would have quickly seized upon. There will be some sadness, followed by hope that they are finally moving on.

Then, Castle is essentially dumped on the street in one of the Burroughs, a little worse for the wear, unaware of exactly how much time has passed, or that no one was looking for him.

End of episode 1. Ep 2 sets up the overarching mythology going forward, with the team’s attempts to adjust taking up the rest of the season.

• Katherine215 says:

Were you an Alias fan by chance?

• Patrick says:

Yep. I know its been done, lots and lots of times, but there is a reason for that. It is a good way to stir up emotion and drama.

• Just one thing says:

After picking up where they left off, I can see them jumping three months like they usually do. Though the idea of Castle being held captive by anyone for that length of time seems darker than the show’s usual pattern.

• lame says:

Ha,ha, that’s a pretty good wrench to throw into the storyline, only take one more step to the dark side and have Alexis call granddad Hunt. He in turn teaches her the deadly arts and the two begin to track down those responsible leaving a trail of bodies that has the 12th pricinct in an uproar searching for a serial killer till Beckett and Ryspo begin to realize this trail could lead to Castle. Gates would be the only one who realizes a lone strand of hair could belong to Alexis. Now that should be worth at least three episodes and move the wedding to the Christmas hiatus.

• Lupe says:

Love the season finale and I’ll be watching season 7. Can’t wait :)

• Alli says:

It wasn’t that bad. Not the right dress, but not that bad.

2. brandon says:

Tired of Oliver and Felicity, hope they get them together or move on..

• EJ386 says:

I’m really hoping they do neither. I like their relationship at this point. It is cute and really funny. I like the slow-burn and if they get together now they will inevitable break-up in about 10-15 episodes and then it will be weird between them. It kind of reminds me of Clark and Lois on Smallville. They had an awesome friendship before getting the romance going.

3. GildedRose says:

I’m dying to see what changes have happened on the Big Bang Theory while Sheldon’s been away and how Amy has dealt with/changed in his absence. That should be lots of fun.

Then Arrow. Ah, Arrow. The never-ending push-pull of Oliver and Felicity. I love that! So many shows have done similar sets ups over the years: a line spoken during part of a ploy that might have meant something more… Given Felicity’s babbling and verbal ‘escape hatches’ with Oliver in those scenes, I think there’s totally more going on between them. It wasn’t all a lie, and frankly, Oliver would have to be brain dead to not fall for Felicity. She’s awesome. Strong, smart, loyal, trustworthy, everything a man like Oliver would find attractive, and obviously ditto in him to her.

I’m looking forward to season 3 to see what they do with them. I don’t expect miracles (it’s only season 3!) but an acknowledgement, at least for the audience, that everything Oliver said wasn’t a lie, that he feels something more for Felicity than “just” friendship, like we know she does for him, would be really nice. That makes waiting for the show to finally get them together worth any wait.

4. E says:

“Here’s to hoping that smile on his face will lead to something more, some day.” I like that, no rush, we are not in a hurry, but it will be glorious one day.

5. Christina says:

So happy to see FitzSimmons on the list! SO GOOD. Can’t wait to see what’s in store for those two in Season 2.

6. Androu Ska says:

Arrow’s Oliver and Felicity. It was a ruse but was it a lie? Don’t think so. These two have chemistry to burn. I love their relationship, the constant progression and I look forward to next season to see how it gets developed. This is my favorite pairing on tv head down. They are memerizing.

7. Irene says:

I love the Olicity slow burn! I th

8. Lysh says:

Olicity is conflicting for me. It’s so heavily promoted/teased in the media and on the show and everywhere, that it’s seeping into my soul and I’ve stopped denying myself from shipping them despite also wanting them to stick with the comic books. I enjoy the slow burn, but I don’t want them to date for a little and then break it off so Oliver can end up with the Black Canary, which could result in awkward Oliver/Felicity scenes. I’m glad I’m not a writer for Arrow; it must be tough deciding to do what’s right for comic fans or to do what feels right for their characters.

• kath says:

i think they did a good job with what they showed in this episode. Under a ruse, Oliver let slip his feelings so that we the audience know, and then it was pulled back when we found out that is was to trap Slade.

It’s too early to put Oliver and Felicity together and it might damage the chemistry of Team Arrow so while the audience now knows the endgame, nothing much has actually changed on the show.

9. Claire says:

I love Arrow in its entirety — I love the action and what James Bamford is able to accomplish, and I love the stories (most of the time). But what has pulled me in to truly make me a vested fan (prob for the first time ever of any show) is Oliver and Felicity. I came for the action and stayed for their story.
    The recipe for Arrow’s success is simple = Team Arrow (O/F/D/R[?]) + Action + Character development + Story
    Can’t wait to see what happens in S3

10. Aeryn says:

Oliver and Felicity are the best couple. I love their chemistry and I hope they will be together the next seasons.

11. Phebes says:

I didn’t know anything about the Green Arrow world before watching Arrow; I don’t even remember what made me try the series. I thought it was good but nothing special until episode three when Felicity came on. A lot of people claim Olicity shippers are delusional about that scene being Oliver’s first real smile, but that’s what I noticed that day. He had smiled before, but they were always forced smiles, (I like to think his smiles to friends and family weren’t fake, but they weren’t easy for him. When that random smile happened with Felicity (remember I don’t know the comics) I thought oh, THIS is the girl who’s his love interest, not the Laurel character. It wasn’t until later that I realized they weren’t the real pairing. I like Laurel (and Katie), but I hadn’t been sold on her and Oliver, and when Felicity entered and Olicity was born, I was sold immediately.

• Mi says:

It was a real smile in that interview, Stephen has said that in a lot of interviews. They can’t know for sure what works and what doesn’t before they have made the show, so any ideas about following the comics precisely goes out the door when the dynamic of the actors doesn’t match the preconceived idea.

• Anghjulina says:

This!!! The same happened to me I just tried the first three episode to give a shot to Arrow without knowing much on green arrow and when I saw oliver smile at her, I got more intrested, at the same time Felicity brought the light and humour to this action show, really dark from the first episode.
      I found myself called a shipper, I didn’t think that was possible seriously. And I really didn’t know that Laurel was his soulmate (even if it was told to the viewer) until I made some research on the web.
      Glad I discovered this show and the amazing Emily Bett Rickards.
      Like others no rush,but I would like the writers to décide in the season 3.
      And for more hope on the Island scene, the silence and smile spoke volume but also Felicity’s smile in Oliver’back

12. spp138 says:

I really would have liked to see a sarcastic Ward and May entry on this list

13. Nicole says:

I love Oliver and Felicity!!! What they did with them in the finale was BRILLIANT!

14. Loving the Slow Burn of Olicity! It hurts so good!!!

15. magda says:

I totally agree with you. I think that Olicity will happen eventually!!!These looks on the Island are perfect! I LOVE OLICITY!!!

16. Sparky says:

I just love the fact that I’m not the only one who loves Felicity and Oliver. Slow burn all the way with them. Team Arrow is the core of the show and to ruin the dynamic between the three main characters from me might ruin the show. Can’t wait for S3!!!

17. EyesOnTv says:

Olicity all the way!!!! And you forgot to mention Captain Swan 😁

• Lysh says:

I think Captain Swan was in last week’s Ship Shape. Can’t believe it’s already been a week since that finale. I’ve noticed a lot of CS shippers also ship Olicity and that makes me smile.

• kath says:

Between Captain Swan, Castle/Beckett and Oliver/Felicity, I can’t believe that all my ships worked out this season. That’s never happened before.

18. FSN Global 's Rick Fox says:

Reblogged this on Global News Now.

19. lyla says:

Awww so much love for Olicity <3

20. Valie says:

I really applauded how they handled Oliver & Felicity in the finale. It was an exhilarating developpement. Very clever! I can’t wait for the S3… & more Olicity.

21. Ewka says:

Ah, yes, the Olicity ship… Just about to sail in season three. Stay tuned.

22. Daphne says:

Arrow’s Oliver and Felicity are my favourite tv couple since Mulder and Scully. I hope their beautiful relationship continues to (slowly) develop.

23. LoveOlicity says:

Olicity Forever :)!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Morrow says:

I think Oliver and Felicity are where they need to be at the moment. But I have no doubt that their relationship will develop during this next season, the finale set them up perfectly.

25. Kate says:

Honestly, I wasn’t sure I’d stick around for the third season of Arrow even though I love Oliver and Felicity. But after what the show put out there in the last 4-5 episodes, I am so excited to see where it is taking these two adorable kids. That 3-episode finale really cemented their partnership. I hope the development continues in season 3 because this is the romantic relationship for Oliver that I find exciting AND believable. Oliver and Felicity I can definitely root for.

• Claire says:

I agree @Kate, I was hanging on by a thread during the back half of the season for these two alone, because it certainly wasn’t the story. They pulled themselves through though and I was very pleased with the last few episodes.
      I am looking forward to seeing them further develop Felicity’s character and the relationship between Oliver and Felicity as well. I really hope too that they keep the focus on the original Team Arrow as well.

• kath says:

Me too. I thought everything after Christmas was problematic up until Streets of Fire.

If Oliver had said the ‘I love you’ to Laurel, I would have been out.

26. aunni says:

ppl says its a cw show so we ship bt arrow viewers r slightly older than other cw shows. What made me ship olicity despite its on cw bt the development is so real and adult. Olicity all the wayyyyy

27. Grumpy says:

In terms of Deeks and Kensi- the writers “went there with them,” then had the whole Afghanistan storyline, only to ambiguously end things. So they’re back to where they were a season and a half ago? I find that irritating and incredibly unrealistic. Go there or don’t. I didn’t get those scenes really, because they were supposed to be done…

• ruahticsn says:

And Deeks suddenly ends the relationship just because that Three Hearts dude scared him? And Kensi finally got the courage to tell them how she feels? I know Season 5 was proclaimed the “Season of Deeks and Kensi”, but not much has happened in the relationship that could’ve happened. :(

28. Pat says:

Oliver will have so much on his plate, to digest next season. The death of his Mother, his sister goes off with Merlyn, the city he loves needs to be rebuilt, Detective Lance, who might have died, the loss of the family company and the money and let’s not forget he still doesn’t know that he has a son. So I think next season hopefully, he will concentrate on getting his life together and no more womanizing. I love Felicity, but I do not want to see her get hurt or become another notch on his bedpost. I love Oliver too, but he needs to stay focused on putting his life back together and he has the support of Diggles, Felicity and yes, Laurel.

• K says:

Pat, I totally agree. I don’t think Oliver really knows how to be in a functional romantic relationship. He’s spent most of his time pre- and post-island, hopping from one relationship to the next and I think what he really needs is to spend some time single. Since he’s been back his whole life has revolved around being the arrow and what he needs to figure out is who Oliver Queen is going to be outside of the arrow. This is where Felicity and Diggle come in, as they really are his two best friends at this point. The thing I especially love about Felicity is that she can be gentle and supportive but she also has no problem yelling at him and calling him on his bs, which let’s face it, Oliver needs sometimes. I think Felicity is one of the few characters who really understands Oliver and regardless of whether the writers choose to pursue a romantic relationship between the two, she will always be a big part of his life.

29. Anna says:

I liked the ruse between Oliver and Felicity even though I don’t, for a second, believe he was acting. I think he meant it, and it’s out there, and he now he has the struggle of knowing how he feels and not being able to act on it. I think it’s an excellent development in trying to write a successful slow-burn romance. That being said, I really hope Felicity gets her own love interest, a backstory, and more material as a character, separate from Oliver.

30. Neha says:

The oliver and felicity scene was amazing, heartbreaking, full of hope all in one!! The bond these two characters have is amazing, and the actors, stephen amell and emily bett rickards, play these characters to perfection and really bring their relationship to life!! Can’t wait for more developments in their relationship in season 3

31. AnnB says:

I am hopeful that season 3 continues the build up of Oliver and Felicity’s relationship to a romantic. I just love their chemistry and their relationship is rooted in trust, honesty and true caring….All the cornerstones of a true love :) I think Stephen and Emily have done such a fantastic job with these characters and I can only hope we/the audience will see them end up together :)

32. Sasha says:

Arrow’s Oliver and Felicity are the best developed couple on tv at the moment and they haven’t even kissed! The mansion scene fake-out was AWESOME. I’ve never seen anything like it. Kudos to the writers. Really makes me anticipate when this becomes real. Also, loved the beach scene. Their silence spoke volumes. Can’t wait see where season 3 takes them!

• Sasha says:

And I loved the scene in QC when she told him to out think Slade. Heck, I love all of their scenes:) This is going to be the longest 5 months ever.

33. Jane and Lisbon – finally – we waited six years…but the airplane scene was worth the wait- Just perfection!!! I can’t wait for next season and what they have in store for Jisbon.

34. Stormy says:

Amy pushing to live with Sheldon when Leonard marries was part of what drove him away. I hope that if he pulls a Forrest Gump and is gone for a while, Amy will hook up with Stuart and forget about any hopes she had for Sheldon. I presume he’ll head to New Jersey to get guidance from Leonard’s mother who truly is the only one who really understands him.

35. TrickyGreyArea says:

I’ve never shipped Jane/Lisbon, but damn Simon Baker sold that declaration on the airplane.

36. RS says:

I’m thinking Castle faked his death so the baddies would stop stalking. I could go along where they took me until the story got too stupid. Overall, consummating the marriage would have been the best season finale.

37. sara k says:

It’s funny how 90% of the comments relate to Olicity…just goes to show it’s the best ship to sail on.

• mretty says:

and here is another Olicity comment….I love them!
      without Olicity, no arrow fan here, and these are my reasons: Oliver and Felicity,
      Felicity and Oliver.

38. Cate says:

The TVD finale left a lot to be desired but Bonnie’s goodbye to Jeremy and his desperate attempt to get to her before she faded had me in tears. Bonnie will be back before too long, so I hope the writers at least give them some closure next season.

• TheVanerialDisease says:

I hope they get to be reunited…

…for one brief moment as Jeremy replaces Bonnie and Damon in oblivion.

39. Jill says:

Rayna better pick Deacon. Luke’s proposal was really lame and over the top cheesy. Not that I liked him much before that.

40. Cas says:

I’d just like to say I stopped watched Arrow this season. I couldn’t deal with the shippers. Idk if I just am reading more about tv than I use to or what but the shipping I felt was far more ridiculous than most shows. Maybe it is just because it sometimes only seems people think the show is just about them? What about Diggle or some of the other characters? At least with other CW shows people cared about the other characters too even if they had been shipping a certain pair or pairs. And usually there was more than one pair to ship or at least a few likeable pairings.

41. Ella says:

These Olicity comments, by the time stamps, are basically the same person writing over and over again under a different alias. Not to say that they don’t have a following but I just don’t see it. They’re like siblings, the chemistry is forced and uncomfortable to watch. Sure, people want them together now but I can guarantee a romantic relationship will wreck not just their dynamic but that of Team Arrow and the show. Plus, it’s seriously dishonouring the comic books but I can teenage girls don’t care about that.

On a different note, I love Cary and Kalinda together but I’m a little irritated by the way she treats him. He has every right to be angry and while he may not have handled it the best way, he’s within reason to want to shift the power play when all she does is play games.

• wonderwall says:

If by brother and sister you mean like Jaime/Cersei, then yes, they do have a sibling-like relationship. I don’t know any brother/sister (including me and my brother) who act like Oliver/Felicity… If I did I would probably be grossed out because that’s just borderline incest :p

• wonderwall says:

Also, I feel like the real dishonor to the comics is, Dinah’s — Laurel’s — characterization. Even comic book fans (including myself) find a barely believable BC. That’s truly a shame. And her going back to Oliver would be an even bigger shame because Dinah is no doormat. She’s a strong, confident, powerful woman who doesn’t need a cheating man like Oliver in her life (thus the reason for their divorce in the nu52). While Dinah/Oliver’s relationship in the comics was based more on sex than love (imo), Oliver and Felicity have been building a strong foundation based on love which is what Mark Guggenheim implied in a previous interview).
        I hate it when people say that “it’ll wreck the team dynamic”… Because it’s simply not true. We don’t know if it’ll wreck the dynamic, hell, it might even be good for the team dynamic. It shows real growth between characters and their relationships. Oliver-Felicity-Diggle are not who they were in season 1, and you can tell that by just seeing their interactions (thus a change in the dynamics)… so maybe people should stop expecting the worst… But in the end I do respect your opinion :)

• Kate says:

I don’t think the romance is necessarily the problem when shows botch these types of things. It’s usually how that romance is WRITTEN. People point to “Moonlighting” and “The X-Files” as examples. I can’t speak about “Moonlighting” because I never watched it, but I totally shipped Mulder and Scully. The way their romance played out was disappointing because Chris Carter didn’t know how to bring them together, and when he finally did, it was just ridiculous.

Bringing this back on topic: Looking back at the entire season 2, I’m now a little bit more confident that the Arrow writers know what they are doing with Oliver and Felicity. The foundation built over the entire season seems pretty solid.

42. Amber says:

I love Olicity and I love that they aren’t ready to go there yet. I want them to get O/L out of the way; Oliver needs to realize that they just don’t work together. And then I want single Oliver. I want more of Felicity out of the cave. Some backstory, and maybe a love interest would be great for her. They have laid such a beautiful foundation for Olicity and they need to work with that; This couple is endgame. I just hope the CW realizes what they have in these characters. I also want to say that I love all the support fans are showing for this relationship.

43. Luli says:

Mertina forever!! #FarewellCristina I’m going to miss their friendship so much!

• Luli says:

Every scene with them in the last episode killed me! the “Derek isn’t the sun. You are”, “You’re my person. I need you alive. You make me brave.””, and “We have to dance it out, thats how we finish”…. Every single scene with them was heartbreaking. And the episode was fantastic with so many throwbacks and comments from early seasons.

44. A says:

Sorry Simmons doesn’t like Fitz like that back. She does love him as a friend though. I want to see her and Trip together.

Love Oliver and Felicity

• kath says:

This.

It feels like Fitz is the writers’ alter ego, a geeky, non-athletic guy, and they want to see themselves with the smart, beautiful girl. Simmons deserves better than Fitz.

Love Oliver and Felicity together though, if Oliver can get that far.

45. A says:

I want to see Felicity get a legitimate love interest/ relationship before she and Oliver get together

46. amy says:

Dear lord olicity, I experience happiness, anger, depression and after re watched it again, hopeful

It was mind blowing, kudos for the writers, stephen and emily, they did a remarkable job

47. Mila says:

Jeremy and Bonnie was heartbreaking. That scene with Jeremy running to Bonnie and screaming her name was very moving. I hope to see them reunited should Bonnie come back to life.

• TheVanerialDisease says:

I hope to see them reunited…

…for a quick moment as Jeremy takes Bonnie and Damon’s place in oblivion.

48. all the love for Oliver and Felicity! That finale just about killed me! Can’t wait for more Olicity in season 3.

49. Gaelle says:

Yay for Jane and Lisbon. Finally :)