Did CBS Skimp on Cliffhangers? Did Once Tease T-1000? Arrow Dodges a Bullet? And More TV Qs

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Mad Men, Arrow, Criminal Minds and The Big Bang Theory!

1 | Hannibal spoiler alert: How relieved were you that Will hadn’t actually killed Freddie Lounds? Did you find Hannibal and Will feasting on drowned, flambéed songbirds to be as disturbing as any human murder on the show? And (don’t shoot the messenger for asking!) was there something slightly homoerotic about the way said meal came together on screen?

2 | Orphan Black‘s Art doesn’t stop the crazy blonde SarahOnce Upon a Time Elsa look-alike from running away from the farm and across a field…? Why, exactly?

3 | Did any Once Upon a Time fans for a moment there think the Season 4 villain emerging from the shiny goo was going to be Terminator T-1000? Or were you thinking Aladdin‘s Genie? Also, as well-versed on Back to the Future as Emma is, wouldn’t she have known it was unwise to not only rescue a stranger in the past but bring her to our realm circa 2014?

PHOTOS | Once Upon a Time Season 4: Our Top 10 Picks to Play Ice Queen Elsa

4 | Does Mad Men feel to be unspooling as if it has 90 episodes left versus nine? And what was the bigger shock on this week’s episode: that Ginsberg cut off his nipple or that Don seemed stymied by the three-way unfolding on his lap?

5 | If the Rosemary’s Baby miniseries warranted two nights and four hours of screen time, why did virtually nothing happen during Sunday’s entire first installment?

6 | Did ABC learn nothing from the ratings struggles of polarizingly titled comedies Cougar Town and Trophy Wife, now that it’s added Selfie and Black-ish to its fall schedule?

7 | On Castle, how could the Hamptons police possibly have 1) deduced that Kate Beckett was the one to call and 2) tracked down her cell number fast enough that she arrives on the scene while the flames are still going full gusto?

about-a-boy8 | Did this prospective tenant on About a Boy know he was only supposed to rip off the bottom part of the apartment ad, instead of swiping the whole thing? Also, can we petition NBC for a downloadable version of “What Makes You Beautiful,” as performed by David Walton and Minnie Driver in the finale?

9 | Was there a more welcome sight than The Originals‘ Rebekah stepping out of that car?

RELATED | Post Mortem: The Originals EP on the New Hybrid, Rebekah’s Return and a ‘Complicated’ Season 2

10 | Dear Supernatural: Can you please stop killing off all our favorite female characters? (RIP, Tessa.)

Demons11 | When’s the last time that neither NCIS, CSI nor Criminal Minds ended the season with a life-and-death cliffhanger? (And is that even allowed by CBS law? Did only NCIS: LA get the memo this year?)

12 | Did Person of Interest give you a little chuckle when Control (played by Camryn Manheim) began arguing in “court” not much unlike The Practice‘s Ellenor Frutt?

13 | If you’re NCIS: LA‘s Deeks, you probably don’t mind getting playfully punched by women who look like Daniela Ruah and Mercedes Masohn, right?

14 | Are you hoping Chicago Fire‘s explosive finale spared all its characters? Or could the ensemble use some trimming?

15 | Did Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s May/Ward beatdown forever redefine the phrase, “Hell hath no fury like a woman (personally and professionally) scorned”?

16 | About the ring Deacon gave Rayna on Nashville, TVLine reader MA notes: “He totally threw it away! He tossed it into the memorial pile at the crash site [at the beginning of the season]. Arrow Barrowman Series RegularI guess we’re supposed to assume he went back and fished it out?”

17 | How lucky is Arrow‘s Malcolm that daughter Thea didn’t go for a head shot? (John Barrowman actually answered this one for us: “She thought she’d go for the heart; thank God for Kevlar!”) And does the idea of more Oliver flashbacks in Season 3 make you happy or ugh? Lastly, now that we’ve had time to calm down, can we agree that the bait-and-switch “I love you” was actually kind of savvy? It opened up a door in the storytelling and left room for there being some truth to Oliver’s faux-fession.

RELATED | Arrow Star Weighs In on That Finale Scene: I Was Like, ‘Oh No, The Fans Are Going to Cry’

18 | Why, why, why did Suburgatory leave its ‘shippable adult couple — George and Dallas — in heartbreaking limbo while (sexily) reuniting star-crossed teenagers Tessa and Ryan, when there was no guarantee of a Season 4 to tie up loose ends?

19 | Did The Americans‘ Paige eavesdropping on her parents’ phone conversation via an upstairs line – and especially the skill with which she surreptitiously hung up — make any of you children of the ’80s nostalgic for your own teenage snooping?

20 | Show of hands: How many of you were convinced that American Idol‘s Alex Preston was headed home this week after three-quarters of his hometown visit was shown in split-screen with a close-up of Jennifer Lopez?

21 | When Today‘s Al Roker asked Suits‘ Patrick J. Adams and Gabriel Macht, “What have you learned about suits?” on Thursday, wasn’t he lucky that both actors handled the asinine question with the grace they did?

RELATED | Vampire Diaries: [Spoiler] to Return as Series Regular for Season 6

22 | What’s Vampire Diaries‘ Matt going to do now that there isn’t even a Mystic Grill for him to work at?!

Big Bang Theory Engagement23 | Now that it’s super-official, does the Big Bang Theory engagement mean we might one day hear Penny’s last name uttered at the ceremony? And although we were happy to see Sheldon spreading his wings, are we really to believe he was comfortable getting on public transportation and spontaneously traveling to a new city?

24 | We love Elementary, and we know it can do “big” episodes — see: Moriarty’s return earlier this year — so why was the Season 2 finale such a snoozefest?

25 | Now that John Legend’s “All of Me” has been performed on Glee, American Idol and The Voice, can we officially retire that song from TV?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: 20ish Questions, Burning Questions, Commentary

1. Patrick Maloney says:

Do we know for certain that Elsa is gonna be a villain for the fourth season of Once Upon a Time?

• Lisa says:

Elsa is going to be on OUAT. The writers have stated repeatedly that they have every intention of doing justice to the character. As for whether she’s going to be a villain…The writers stated that Elsa really isn’t a villain, she’s just misunderstood, and they intend to honor that. They also said they have to live up to their own children’s expectations because she is such a beloved character.

Because of this, I don’t think she is going to be a villain, although she may be perceived as a one at first. But, isn’t that kinda what happened in the movie Frozen as well? I think that Elsa makes sense, because of the type of character she is. She is someone that is perceived as a villain while not really being one. Very complex character. I think that she’s great for the show.

2. Mark says:

I love Arrow, but I’m over the flashbacks. Stick to the present, please.

3. DavidSask says:

Sheldon on his own needs to happen on BBT but you know they won’t go there because they hate their viewers. Arrow has pissed me off by leaving the baddie alive and as said if they do more flashbacks its just the crap part of the show!!! Move on with talking about it some but STOP with long tired flashback scenes for the fans!

4. Remember, The Genie’s Lamp is locked up in Mr. Gold’s shop and the actually Genie is Sydney, who is still locked up by Regina.

5. tvgeek says:

12. Yes thought of that too. And wasn’t one of her clients played by Michael Emerson?

6. Fido says:

re: Arrow – is there any chance Isabel was only knocked out, then smuggled aboard Nyssa’s ship as a new League of Assassins recruit ? (fingers crossed)

7. A says:

Between Once, Sheild, and Arrow this was one of the best weeks in TV history

8. #7 – Don’t forget C&K helped with a murder investigation and locals probably knew the wedding was going on. Realizing what happened to Castle’s car & wedding (probably big even in The Hamptons) her name probably jumped to mind.
    #11 – I don’t care. I hate cliff hangers.
    #13 – Nope. May’hap he was aiming for “plausible deniability”? (then a pillow to place strategically? ☺)
    #15 – Definitely
    #17 – Lucky & *MY* theory is Felicity is the future DINAH Lance/Black Canary. 1) More and More people know she works with the Arrow and might have to scrap her identity and change names, 2) She has the tech know-how to make the ‘siren-call’ Sarah used small enough to attach/combine(?) with throat and throat muscles, 4) she’s been learning to fight … Just a guess, but…..

9. angel says:

#10 – The bigger question is: How can living/not-near-death people see Tessa? She’s a reaper and hasn’t been visible to living people before. But she supposedly had a job at the hospital? She’s never been called an angel before, so why is she now linked with them. And she knows Dean enough to know how bad he’ll feel that she used him to kill herself. (Or how bad he should have felt – who knows with the new Dean) Do the writers even bother trying to stick to pre-established rules and already existing plot points? Or does this mostly new pack of writers not even know what has happened in the previous seasons?

10. Lisa says:

I think you forgot one team TV Line. 26. Was anyone else surprised that Caleb’s duet on American Idol is with KISS rather than Meatloaf? I know I was.

11. Paloma says:

You forget that in an earlier season, the first time Castle took Kate to his house in the aha pitons, there was a murder and the local police chief got to know them both very we’ll and undoubtedly got her phone number then as she was a witness to the dead guy falling into the pool. it also is extremely likely that a big wedding in the Hamptons with the kind of guests Castle would invite would require some police security or at least traffic control. So the police would know all about the wedding. And thus know to call Kate.

12. Tammy says:

My sister had a princess phone in her room. It was a big deal when she got it too. BTW – I use to listen in on phone calls all the time too. I would have just clicked the end call button and kept listening instead of hanging up. LOL

13. GildedRose says:

I’m so behind on my DVR viewing. Ugh! I’m never catching up on half of this. But I can address #17 for Arrow! I totally thought that about Thea shooting Malcolm. Has she never watched a horror movie? You always go for the head-shot. Always! I’m so glad Oliver is off that stupid island for flashbacks. I’m ready to see how he mixes it up with the Bratva and Amanda Waller, even though I find her kind of dull right now. As for Oliver and Felicity… I loved it the night it aired, I loved it more the next day and I’m still in love with it because it did exactly what you said: gave Arrow a savvy way of opening the door for there to be more between Oliver and Felicity, definitely mutual feelings – that scene on the beach! come on! – and that opens a ton more storytelling stuff for season 3, especially when you factor in her backstory, her father, etc. Sexual tension, attraction, chemistry, conflict… what more could you want from a story?

14. DW says:

Thanks for all the info.

15. kath says:

— He knew that she would be running from the bad guys to he stayed behind to delay them and give her more of a chance to escape.

17 The Arrow the bait-and-switch “I love you” was brilliant. It let Oliver’s guard down at last, and gave an indication which way the wind was blowing while keeping the friendship of Team Arrow intact.

15 | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s May/Ward beatdown — women everywhere thank her.

16. Merissa W. says:

#3: Yes! I totally thought “Oh it’s the genie!”, but oh well
    #24: While I still LOVE Elementary, I too found myself reading internet posts during the episode out of boredom :-/

17. Once – okay that is not the Genie :/
    Arrow – I was not fooled by the “faux-fession” who says “I love you” and just walks away without even a little peck – I knew it had to be fake and it was ;)
    Castle – I’m so not impressed. #talktothehand
    Agents of – Ward chose poorly. There is a lesson to be learned here. ;)

18. Cassandra says:

17. I’m tired of the island flashbacks, but might be able to bear a new location. I wish they would minimize most of them so there would be more time for the present day storylines, in which I’m more interested. Most of the time I zone out for flashbacks.

They have solidly and beautifully laid the groundwork to establish Felicity as the most important woman in Oliver’s life, and at this point this love story is nothing but theirs to lose. They would be insane to screw it up, but I don’t have much faith in the CW or when it comes to arguments of comic book canon. Nothing much has been done like the GA comics, so why start now? Especially when you have such a good thing going. The longer I think about the “confession” the more I believe there was at least a shred of truth to it, even if Oliver’s not ready to admit it’s real yet. There was more emotion and adoration in his face and supposedly faux confession than he has ever experienced with ANY other love interest on this show, so these writers, as crazy as they make *me*, are totally daft themselves if they don’t capitalize on this genuine thing they have. I want endgame, but I want serious character growth and story out of both of them first. This isn’t rocket science. Stephen and Emily bring it every single episode, so USE IT.

19. Mary says:

I’m not sure about more Oliver flashbacks, but if they aren’t about his time on the island it might not be so bad. Two seasons of island flashbacks are enough.

20. #11 I think it is a rarity for all three to not end on a Cliffhanger. Maybe Messer was sharing notes with the producers of NCIS and CSI to follow suit with her no cliffhanger ending.

Would have loved some sort of a cliffhanger… the commercials were misleading, I was hoping for someone to croak. Not go off in the sunset in a taxi. Granted I’m glad Reid didn’t die, but I am upset that Morgan could have been a little more concerned that he could have lost Reid for good.

21. Claire says:

I have so many finales I have still to watch! But I can answer two of these! First #23 was so great to finally see Penny and Leonard engaged! And wow, I did not even realize we don’t know her last name! lol. Maybe we’ll soon learn that mystery like we did McGyver’s first name! If you remember that, you get a cookie. ;)
    #17 The second was Arrow. Quite the show! And the editing of that final fight sequence? Amazingly well done – both the stunt coordination and the editing. But I digress. I have always liked the flashbacks. They are tricky to work in, and maybe they could do a bit fewer, but I do like seeing what occurred during that time. One pet peeve from this past season though — PLEASE do NOT use it as a crutch to the present storyline! There were too many ‘it happened on the island I remember it I the present’ moments the most recent of which was the cure. Big ol’ rolleyes for that one. Hong Kong though? That should be a blast!
    The best for last! That moment at the mansion and the beach opened up all sorts of possibilities! Gah! They are both such strong individual characters that compliment each other so well, this will be really good if handled well. And the building of Felicity’s back story will only serve to strengthen this character and the show. Very excited!

22. TinLV says:

#25 – It’s better than a lot of the junk these artists ( or their coaches) choose for their performances. Best of the bunch was Josh on The Voice. I think he can pretty much sing anything, though. There have been several songs over the last few years performed by both Idol contestants and Voice contestants. There are literally thousands of songs to choose from, so it really makes no sense that we keep hearing the same songs over and over again.

23. EP says:

Fantastic finish for Arrow!!! The final had unbelievable action, stunts, drama, suspense and the scene between Oliver and Felicity was incredible (okay, we girls screamed and the guys even liked it). Diggle going to be a Dad, so excited.

Keep up the good work Arrow and PLEASE keep it the core three, Oliver, Felicity and Diggle.

Really looking forward to Oliver and Felicity’s relationship development. Wow, they are great together and the chemistry they have.

Can’t wait to season 3.

24. bucky74 says:

oh, your 13 is so funny. It’s not like there hasn’t been a controversy ever since November that both Dave Kalstein and Daniela Ruah have been questioned about involving the intimate partner violence ncisla and cbs decided was okey dokey to air in Frozen Lake. And there wasn’t an explosion of anger on twitter and tumblr when the show pretended fans could choose Frozen Lake for the actors to comment on, nope.

Given that we know Deeks was abused a child, isn’t it more sad than hilarious that Deeks never minds when women hit him as expressions of affection? Isn’t it sad how the show acts like it’s sexy and flirty to inflict “playful” violence on someone you’re attracted as long as the beater is a woman?

25. Ella says:

#17 – I don’t loathe or love the flashbacks. I do loathe Olicity being shoved down my throat every chance they get.