T.R. Knight is headed back to TV — sort of — in a role that finds the Grey’s Anatomy alum on the other side of a puzzlng outbreak.
Knight has been cast as the male lead in Amazon Studios’ drama pilot Hysteria, our sister site Deadline reports.
The streaming video site’s project stars Mena Suvari (Chicago Fire) as an exceptionally bright but socially awkward neurologist/psychiatrist who travels to her hometown of Austin, Texas, to investigate a mysterious epidemic that might be spreading among high school girls through technology.
Knight will play Suvari’s brother, who tries convince his sister that the panic currently swallowing Austin is the same hysteria that sent him to prison 25 years ago, and if she will help to exonerate him, he’ll give her the clues she needs to resolve the crisis.
Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…
* Switched at Birth star Gilles Marini will guest-star on Lifetime’s Devious Maids, TVGuide.com reports. The Brothers & Sisters alum will appear opposite Roselyn Sanchez’ Carmen — as a new love interest? — in the July 13 Season 2 finale.
* Orange Is the New Black has promoted Adrienne C. Moore, aka Black Cindy, to a series regular for Season 3, per Deadline.
* Chris Rock will host the BET Awards, airing Sunday, June 29, at 8 pm.
* WGN America’s second scripted series Manhattan — the first was Salem — will premiere on Sunday, July 27 at 10/9c. The period drama, starring John Benjamin Hickey (The Big C, The Good Wife) and Olivia Williams (Dollhouse), explores the world of deception, danger and sacrifices that characterized one of the best-kept secrets of all time: the mission to build the world’s first atomic bomb.
* VH1′s TV movie Drumline: A New Beat has tapped Alexandra Shipp (Awkward) for the lead role of an upper-class Brooklyn girl who defies her parents in order to attend Atlanta A&T so she can revitalize its once-prominent drumline, per The Hollywood Reporter.Follow @VladaGelman