Ratings: Idol and The Middle Surge; Suburgatory, Criminal Minds and Chicago P.D. Rise

DemonsFox’s American Idol saw a significant upswing this Wednesday, drawing 8.9 million viewers and a 2.1 demo rating (per finals) — surging 13 and 24 percent week-to-week.

The second-largest demo gain was enjoyed by ABC’s The Middle (6.9 mil/1.9), which rose 19 percent.

Continuing ABC’s night, Suburgatory‘s series finale (5 mil/1.6) was up 23 percent, Modern Family‘s big wedding, Part 1 (8.8 mil/3.2) grew 10 percent and Mixology (3.9 mil/1.3) was flat. Nashville‘s season finale did 5 mil and a 1.3, ticking up versus last week but down 33 percent from its previous closer.

Over on CBS, Survivor (9.9 mil/2.6) inched up two tenths, while Criminal Minds‘ finale (12.2 mil/2.7) rose 14 and 13 percent.

NBC’s cancelled Revolution (4 mil/1.2), the renewed Law & Order: SVU (5.3 mil/1.6) and Chicago PD (6.1 mil/1.5) all ticked up a tenth.

The CW’s Arrow finale (2.4 mil/0.9) rose a tenth, while The 100 (1.7 mil/0.6) was flat.

1. Stacie says:

What’s great about shows when they hit new all time lows is that if they do any better, even a little better, but still pretty low, it looks like they are doing great! It’s like giving a kid a D on his test when he usually gets F’s. Sure it’s better than an F but it’s still not that great. But his parents will probably put his D test on the fridge and be all proud about it. :) That’s what Idol’s ratings this week reminded me of.

2. Carla Krae says:

Revolution always goes way up when the DVR numbers come in.

3. ChicagoDan says:

How about CSI REPEAT almost tying CPD and beating Nashville??? BTW those CM numbers (12.2/3.1) don’t jive with what’s been reported elsewhere.

4. kiks says:

Nasvhille’s season’s finale last night was great…huge improvement on the silliness from last year. Of course, was hoping the ratings would be stronger.

5. GuessWhat says:

Uggh — why even bother watching last night’s or next week’s final eps of REVOLUTION!? just gonna leave us hanging with no answers — for eternity.

6. Jill says:

Last night’s Nashville season finale was much better than last year’s, but it’s a testament to how much the f’ed up most of season two with boring placeholder love interests and some poorly written story lines that it lost that many fans. Hopefully they can regain some of them next season or else it will be the last.

7. forwarddad says:

CPD was great last night. There were hockey and basketball playoffs all over the place as well.

8. sarah says:

Arrow was so good!
    Happy that Modern Family and Chicago PD rose! They were both really good as well. Can not wait for their finales next week!
    I will be watching Nashville tonight. It is good it did well also.

9. Carlos Alvarez says:

Criminal Minds season finale was awesome last night.

10. Vlada says:

Go, THE MIDDLE, go, go, THE MIDDLE!!!

11. Thanks for the picture, TVline :) I’m glad the ratings for Criminal Minds final rose big time it’s well deserved. (but gosh I’m still pretty shocked and sad about Alex gotta say..)

• Angela says:

I had a feeling the ratings would tick up for “Criminal Minds”, given the dramatic promos and all!
      But yeah, it was earned-great finale, very intense with some great moments between the team members (I’m still smiling over all the sweet interactions between Reid and Garcia). I’m sad about Alex, too, and am only now starting to realize how much I’ll miss her (we’d just barely gotten to know her!). But I am glad that she got a nice, quiet, classy exit. Her final scene with Reid was really touching and emotional.

12. David says:

I thought Suburgatory was awesome. I really hope the rumors of it being shopped to cable stations like TBS are true and work out. It was so good last night!

Anyone else kind of creeped out about Kevin from The Office as a pedophile on SVU? I know he’s an actor but maybe it would have been less creepy if he wasn’t in an office when they arrested him?

CPD was amazing and one of the best new shows from this season. I think CBS is making a huge mistake putting Stalker up against it.

• Amy in KC says:

I don’t watch SVU much, but that same actor was an unsub on Criminal Minds a few weeks ago…it’s always a bit creepy to see familiar (especially comedic) actors be a bad guy.

13. n says:

This is a bunch of BULLISH*T they need to bring Suburgatory back.

14. ninergrl6 says:

I wonder what caused the Idol surge. 500th ep? Fans tuning in to see past winners? Genuine interest in the top 3?

15. Meredith says:

If it had to be a series finale I think Suburgatory did pretty well. Highlight of the episode – no Dalia :) Low point – no Noah :(

16. David4 says:

Suburgatory should have ended last year. This year was a such a mess and a let down.

• Jonathan says:

I thought they had some solid, funny episodes sandwiched inbetween a really bad start and a lame finish. In any event, I’m not too heartbroken that it’s gone.

17. monieet says:

Criminal Minds: I was on at the edge of my seat the entire episode thinking who is going to die; this episode was very well written- Good Job to the writers. Blake was a good character meshed with the team (outstanding work Jeanne Tripplehorn), but I miss Prentiss. Her character was smart mysterious, and kicked ass. Bring her back.

18. Jon Gold says:

Please, whoever’s reading, help bring Suburgatory back!!! This is a very funny, witty, farce, sensational parody that’s wrong in all the right ways. Somebody read this and help bring it back!!!