Grey's Anatomy Finale Recap: The Goodbye Girl

Grey's Anatomy Season 10 Finale Sandra OhAlthough the 10th season finale of Grey’s Anatomy will always be remembered – sniffle – as Cristina’s swan song, “Fear (of the Unknown)” also sets up some intriguing conflicts for the series’ return in the fall. Shall we run through them? Let’s!

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy‘s on the Move Next Fall — Get Scoop on Its New Timeslot

PARTING IS SUCH SWEET SORROW | As the hour begins, Cristina is leaving Owen’s following a passionate pre-goodbye to pick up a European cell phone charger at the mall… which, shortly thereafter, is the site of a huge explosion! So, for the next (what seems like an) eternity, he – and we – are left to worry that maybe she’s been hurt or worse. But – whew! – she’s fine. Not only does she show up at Grey Sloan to pitch in with the influx of patients, she orders the newly available heart for Link’s transplant delivered in the middle of the chaos. “I just need something to feel finished,” she explains. Finally, she asks Mer to help her. She can’t leave on her own, she needs a push, which her person provides. After hugging Derek and exchanging a heartbreaking look with Owen as he’s wrist-deep in intestines, Cristina bids adieu to Richard and Bailey. Just then, Shane comes running up, threatening to badger his teacher until she allows him to come to Zurich with her. Okay, then. Outside, Cristina is surprised to discover that Mer has already called her a cab. Except Mer didn’t call it – it’s Link’s heart arriving! Naturally, Cristina wants to stay and perform the operation. But Mer won’t let her. Russell’s replacement, Maggie, can do Link’s transplant. Even after Mer gets Cristina into the cab, she hesitates. “Whad’ya need, an ‘I love you’?” she asks. “I love you.” And with that, off Cristina goes. Briefly. Before you know it, she’s back again. “We have to dance it out,” she tells Mer. “That’s how we finish.” So the BFFs boogie, Cristina gives Mer a list of instructions (including how often to mock Alex) and reminds her that she doesn’t have to move to D.C. just because Derek wants to. “He’s very dreamy,” Cristina acknowledges. “But he’s not the sun. You are.” Then and only then does Cristina leave. And happily, at the episode’s close, we get one last look at her in her fancy new office as she heads into her first staff meeting at her new hospital. She isn’t gonna be just fine, she’s gonna be amazeballs.

VIDEO | Grey’s Anatomy Says Goodbye to Sandra Oh: Relive Mer and Der’s Best Moments

SPLIT DECISION | Off her last conversation with Cristina, Mer tells Derek that she can’t sign the papers that will secure their townhouse in Washington. Actually, it’s not that she can’t, she doesn’t want to. (Big distinction.) Refusing to be her father, “a trailing spouse,” she draws a line in the sand and says she’s staying put. Derek, of course, is furious. There’s nothing that she can do in Seattle, he suggests, that she can’t do in D.C. But, she counters, her life is in Seattle, and she isn’t going to leave it. Period. No, exclamation point. Your move, McDreamy.

KID STUFF | After Arizona delivers a surrogate mother’s baby, she and Callie share a light-bulb moment that suggests that they may still have another child. Catherine, of all people, reassures April when the threat of terrorism makes her wonder how she’ll ever raise a kid in this crazy world. And, out of nowhere, Maggie mentions to Richard that she’s adopted and that her late biological mother’s name is all over the hospital. Who was she? he asks. Ellis Freakin’ Grey!

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to All of the New Shows

BUSINESS AS UNUSUAL | Although Bailey’s day starts off in the crapper – Jackson reveals that budget cuts are shutting down her genome lab – it gets markedly better: Richard informs her that he’s recommending her for Cristina’s vacated seat on the board! Unfortunately for Bailey, Alex discovers that Cristina has left him a helluva parting gift: her seat on the board and her shares in Grey Sloan!

Okay, your turn. What did you think of the Cristina’s goodbye? Will Derek move to D.C. without Meredith? Hit the comments!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. M says:

Everyone keeps relating Maggie back to Meredith, I think it will be more about Richard and him getting to have that father daughter relationship that he missed out on. I think it will also give us a lot of flash back scenes with the “young Ellis and Richard” which is always interesting. Meredith will obviously have issues with it and that will be a storyline, but I think Richard will be the focus.

• LaLa says:

I think this will also be interesting for Meredith, however. Because she’s gonna have to process having a sister she doesn’t remember ALONG WITH trying to find a compromise with Derek – or not. And it will affect her relationship with Richard, which has always been pseudo-father/daughter. Now he may have an actual child – how will Mer handle that? Also, Alex may be in a battle with Bailey over the board seat, Cristina is now in Zurich and she and Derek will be on the outs – so who will she lean on for support through this parental crisis? Loads of intrigue for next season. And it’s not about someone dying or getting hurt – these are emotional issues. Well done.

2. Amy says:

Love the Alex twist, personally I think he has what it takes to be the next chief and this helps put him on this track. Bailey’s great but I don’t see her as the next leader of the hospital, she’s more of the den mother then the captain. But a competition between the two of them should be good.

• Cassidy says:

I love Bailey, but I thought the idea of putting her on the board was insane. Bailey is smart and capable and hardworking, but she can be very self-centered. Her first thought about being on the board was opening back up her gene therapy project that the hospital JUST decided they didn’t have money for and that Richard basically told her was being scrapped to free her up to be on the board. I thought that was very childish thinking on her part, and I just don’t think she has the right mindset to be on the board.

• Amy says:

Agreed! Bailey is a great doctor and person, but maybe not the best person to run the hospital. Is it weird that I feel guilty about not backing Bailey lol?

3. Andrew Hass says:

I loved Christina’s exit and it leaves the door open for her to return even it is just for a couple of episodes to consult on a case or something.Plus i can’t wait to find out more about Meredith’s new half sister.Maggie may not want to get to know Meredith but Mer may want to get to know her if only to learn more about her mom’s past at first.So it coul be a reversal of the Meredith/Lexie relationship.Plus Maggie may not want Meredith to know they are related but it comes out anyway.As for Meredith and Derek my guess is that they will try to have a cross country marriage.As for Amelia i could see her staying in Seattle to help Meredith with he kids and work at the hospital.As for Callie and Arizona i see them using a surrogate and that could be a good story for next season.Plus i expect to see tension between Bailey and Alex.Next season could be very interesting.

4. dman6015 says:

“…she’s gonna be amazeballs.” No, please, don’t ever write that again. It’s childish and unprofessional. Shame on Ausiello for hiring you.

5. Ugonna Wosu says:

I realized what would have made me cry. A hug between my twisted sisters, sniff. Anyway, it was nice for what it was. I totally forgot until this morning that Callie and Cristina were friends too. They should have had a short goodbye.

6. Loved it says:

Loved that Cristina got a great sendoff true to her character. I always thought Avery was the long lost Richard/Ellis love child. No one knows anything about his birth parents. LOL. Maybe he is the twin of the newbie who I agree looks too young but they want to engage a younger audience. Derek and Meredith actually talking to each other was great.. sets things up for next season. Dance Party! I hope everyone has a “person”.

7. TinLV says:

I would say the episode was a success because there are more comments on this board than I have ever seen for one episode. Personally, I loved it.. am really going to miss Yang, but she is now getting what she has always wanted professionally and deserves. As for the twist at the end.. a new Grey ! Wow. I knew the minute she said she was adopted what was coming, but the look on Richard’s face as it dawned on him was priceless.. great acting, as always.

8. Pat says:

I will miss Christina. I just wish she was able to hug and kiss Owen one last time. Now, about Dr. Webber and Maggie, who could be his daughter. Well, this does not come as a shock to me. I always wondered how long it would take for something or now it looks like someone to surface, that had to do with his affair with Ellis. In a way I feel sorry for him because he never knew about a daughter and I also feel sorry for her because she seemed to know about her mother but nothing about her father. So next season has been set up and I am looking forward to it.

9. Cas says:

I must be losing my mind or something because I was so bored. I’m surprised everyone gave this episode an A. I mean seriously how many sister can Meredith have? And none of them will replace Lexi. I’m guessing this one is older than Mer since she is head of the department? And I’m all for some things running in the family but I find it hard to believe something like this would, they just all happened to become doctors? I know a lot of smart people who don’t reproduce the brightest kids. And I though Cristina’s and Owens goodbye sucked but oh well. The episode in general almost put me to sleep. On a different note, I love Amelia. Great addition. And I like that Callie and Arizona are happy again. I never really cared much about them either way but it’s nice that they seem happy.

• RReg says:

she isn’t necessarily older than Meredith. She told Yang she graduated from college in her teens. That would tend to indicate she is very very very smart if not genius level intelligence.

10. laura says:

Loved 98% of this episode
    Christina’s exit was pretty perfect – moments with Mer, Derek, Owen, and loved her with Alex.
    Moment at the end with Richard and “the daughter” – hate it more than the dead Denny scenes. Very disappointed in Shondra

11. Abby says:

- It will be so, so, so interesting to explore the relationship between Richard and the new doc/his daughter, especially since she doesn’t really seem like that nice a person (yet) – but even more interesting to discover something like Richard is NOT her father, because Ellis so would have done that. (FAR less interesting to explore the relationship between her and Meredith though, because yeah, we’ve done that before. The set-up from the finale gives me hope, though, that Shonda is making this about Richard.)

– I’m tired of people (the writers, mostly) crapping on Bailey. She deserves the spot on the board so much more than Alex and I’m angry at Cristina for overlooking her own teacher. I miss strong, amazing Bailey so much, and I want to see her career stop being stuck.

– I liked the ‘I love you’ goodbye better than the dance it out.

– I hope Caterina Scorsone is staying, but haven’t seen anything about her becoming a series regular or even recurring…?

– Glad to see Leah go out with a little credit, and thrilled to see Shane fly off the show just as irritatingly as bulled his way through the walls of G+S. Won’t miss either character for a second, and kind of loving the fact that Shane’s departure from the show/script was so random/messy/half-arsed, it felt like an afterthought.

12. Lauren says:

Great goodbye to Yang. Loved the scenes with Meredith and dancing it out. And I loved the silent scene between her and Owen, because really, what else was there to say? Good stuff. Though, it makes me mad that other characters (read: Lexi and Mark) had to die tragically when the actors left the show, but Yang got a perfect swan song. I will never stop being mad at the deaths of Lexi and Mark!

• lily says:

unfortunately chyler wanted to leave the show and lexie dying was the only way to make that ‘possible.’ I believe lexie was a 1st year resident when she was killed off so she still would have had about 4 more years left of her residency. Even if she was fired she wouldn’t lose contact with meredith and mark so her absence wouldn’t really work. Really the only other option would be if she pulled a shane and flew off to another country. Mark’s death was a casualty, they didn’t have a toxic enough relationship like cristina/owen for viewers to accept that they weren’t ‘made for each other’ and there likely would have been a lot of backlash if he got into a relationship with someone else in the hospital. Likewise he couldn’t leave with lexie since his daughter would still be in seattle

• Lauren says:

Totally disagree. There were plenty of ways they could have written Chyler off the show that did not include her dying under a jet engine. She could have easily gotten a job across the country or maybe relocated to be near her other sister. They could have mentioned her from time to time indicating that she stays in touch with Meredith. As for Mark, same thing. I know his daughter is in Seattle, but again, they could have mentioned him from time to time, indicating that he is in touch and sees the baby. It would also give them an easy way to not have the baby involved in plot-lines, she could be off visiting her daddy. She’s rarely in scenes anyway. My dream ending for them would have been them relocating to another state together, as a couple – much better than them dying after a plane crash. THERE WERE WAYS TO NOT KILL BOTH THESE CHARACTERS.

• J says:

my guess is that chyler got on shonda’s bad side, in interviews she’s since said that her time on grey’s wasn’t worth the long hours

• Lauren says:

It’s sort of disgusting that any actor Shonda doesn’t love get’s tragically killed, or gets some other kind of silly ending.

• B says:

not really.. shondaland writers have been saying for years that they like killing off characters because its a way to make a memorable episode that audiences will feel a strong reaction to. The fact that you’re still upset over a finale that happened over 2 years ago illustrates their point

• Jan says:

Lexi was a 4th year resident

• Tiffany says:

Me too. Still mad 2 years later

13. Ninna says:

And off she goes to the sunset. Farewell Cristina Yang, you were great.
    Happy that this last time was not wasted on the McCheater but yes with Mer. The true love story of the show.

14. ggny says:

I knew as soon as Richard sat down next to her she was gonna end up being his daughter. Im ok with the twist the show needs some new life injected into and it fits with Ellis suicide attempt when Mer was younger. Also people the girl is not another little Grey she would be a Webber

15. ggny says:

Ok going back over the episode. My one big problem is why the hell didnt Cristina and Callie have a goodbye? After everything between them two she doesnt even get a goodbye? Wtf?

• bryceradick says:

Sandra tweeted that she wished they had. Obviously they probably had one off-screen. Yang should have said that she was out drinking with Mere and Callie the night before at the beginning of the episode. It’s probably because their friendship has been so de-emphasized over the last couple years.

• twilight123 says:

Agreed!!

• abz says:

I didn’t realize till I read your comment that I wish Cristina/Callie had a moment. I guess I was a little too satisfied with all the moments that were shown that I forgot. Drinks would Callie would have been a great scene. :(

16. carrinebchaud says:

hmmmm hellooooooooo webber has a daughter and mereith an african-american half sister… but well that’s not worth mentionning in this recap?

17. Scotty Dog says:

I enjoyed the episode – it was obvious nothing “major” i.e someone dying wasn’t gonna happen as it would overshadow Cristina’s exit. I loved her and Mer this episode – gonna miss their friendship a lot particularly the dance party – it brought a tear to my eye! It didn’t really sink in she was leaving until this ep despite the buildup! Loved her “goodbyes” to the originals and I understand why they didn’t have her saying bye to everyone – it would have been a bit of overkill though was surprised she didn’t have a scene with Callie – her former flatmate and I am pretty sure her bridesmaid when she was gonna marry Burke! But they really haven’t had any scenes this season together – the last one I remember was the one Callie was sued which is a bit strange though I guess Cardio/Ortho don’t really join up much.

Have really enjoyed Leah in the last few episodes don’t know if its rose tinted glasses cos she’s leaving or not. I like thats she’s human and has feelings. Whereas the pretty bland Steph I didn’t even notice or care she wasn’t in this ep – why they kept her over Shane and Leah I really don’t know.

Alex has been great this season. He is still snarky and a bit mean but also has grown so much. I love how his mentor/student relationship with Arizona has come back recently – they are funny together! He is also sweet with Jo although no doubt drama comes their way!

Bailey has really bugged me this season. I liked her when she was the “nazi” a bit badass but stuck to the rules – now she has no regards for protocol despite hammering Mer and Izzy for acting unethically towards patients – at least they did it out of love! Hope Alex gets the seat on the board though can’t see him wanting to push too much through apart from the African exchange.

Glad Mer finally told Derek some home truths! His POTUS business is all so boring – Its so ridiculous I just don’t care! Not sure about his sister – feel mer/Der are capitalising on her personal problems to get a babysitter like they did with Callie earlier on this season! The surrogate business is confusing me! I get that Callie can’t carry the baby – so why can’t Arizona? She wants the kid and doesn’t want to leave her service I am guessing but she would (realistically) take maternity leave anyway if it was a surrogate. Or can Grey’s not have two pregnant characters at once!

Japril were really sweet this ep :) and I liked Catherine for once!

18. Cassidy says:

Here’s a point of inconsistency with the secret sister story line that I haven’t seen mentioned.

Maggie knows the name of her birth mother, so she’s likely Googled her since finding out. She’d have to have.

That surely would’ve made her aware of Meredith (especially after the whole “portal veins will get you so much publicity! Finishing your mother’s work!” thing).

She’s now been at Grey-Sloan for two weeks… she has to have met Meredith, or heard of her, I mean, she’s on the board, she would’ve been involved in hiring her and she’s the BEST FRIEND of the Cristina, who hired Maggie herself.

Also, are we really supposed to believe that Ellis Grey was the type of woman who would set up an adoption that had any sort of paper trail back to her?

That being said, I’m still very excited to see where this goes.

19. Jessica says:

This was the worse season finale since season 7! I wish Cristina had stayed in that Taxi and let it take her on to the airport! She just had to come back and brainwash Meredith and cause problems for MerDer one last time, didn’t she??? So glad she is gone! Now MerDer are once again fighting at the end of the season! This crap has gotten so old! Give them another conflict that will produce a great story. This time it’s about whose career is more important and I would bet almost anything at this point, that Shonda is planning on Derek still going to DC and Meredith staying in Seattle next season. A long distance marriage storyline…no thanks Shonda! We had that the entire 2nd half of this season and it was not that interesting!

• abz says:

Yeah Cristina is awful isn’t she? She shouldn’t have given her friend the courage to stand up for herself in her marriage and for what she wanted in life. Cristina is definitely a monster…… Geez. Get over yourself!!
      They are “once again fighting” because they have something LEGITIMATE to fight about. They are trying to make a decision about their future. It isn’t “crap that has gotten old”. They are married and they are bound to disagree on many things. This disagreement happens to be about whose career is more important because for so long there has been that difference between them. It’s pretty clear whether openly or not, Derek always thought of Meredith as beneath him and as the intern he first met and that his career was more important and more prestigious. Now that she is nearly on the same level as him, has worked her ass off to get where she is and still managed to have two kids in the process, he still thinks his career is more important than hers. Why shouldn’t she have a say in the life she wants. Seattle is her home, the place where she grew up, made her life long friends, met her husband, experienced extreme sadness, loss, and growth, the place where she met her sister (or sister(s) as of next season), the place where her legacy is. It isn’t something that easy to give up on and she has every right to fight for it.

• monica4185 says:

I totally agree with you on this. I was surprise that Meredith hadn’t say anything before and was just going along with whatever Derek decided. I like the potential for this storyline. Hopefullly SR and the writers won’t screw it up.

20. Sabrina says:

I finally watched the finale and I’m so glad that the terrorist attack turned out to be something else. I hate the idea of a secret sibling though.

21. I laugh at all of you getting worked up about the possibility of a daughter for Dr. Webber. C’mon people – this IS Grey’s Anatomy (a nighttime soap). What do you expect?

22. Sarah says:

I feel like their spitting on Lexie’s grave a bit!

23. I thought the season finale summed up Cristina’s character perfectly. I cried, then laughed, both at the same time, too, when they started dancing… Loved it!

24. bonnieb says:

So… while I admit that this new sisters age is kind of a stretch, that isn’t the first thing that struck me. I really liked the character of Lexie Grey and was sad to see her go, but her goodbye with Mark and Merediths genuine heartbreak should how far they bad all come and gave her a goodbye she diserved. Now I can’t help but feel like they just pulling some storyline out of thin air in order to give them a new “grey” in case the show lasts long enough, and that seems kind of cold. It’s like they thought about it and were like, “darn it we should have kept that girl as back up… oh well let’s just make a new one!”

• bonnieb says:

And sorry the sentence in the middle got a little screwed up it should have read but her goodbye with Mark, and Merediths genuine heartbreak showed how far the had all come

25. GA says:

We are so sick & tired of the loud, lousy, annoying background music on all the network shows. Can anything be done about it?