CBS Fall Schedule Revealed: Big Bang, NCIS: LA, Race, CSI on the Move; Two and a Half Men Entering Final Season, The Mentalist MIA

CBS Fall Schedule 2014CBS on Wednesday revealed its primetime line-up for the 2014-15 TV season and, as expected, The Big Bang Theory will temporarily relocate to Mondays at 8/7c during the network’s run of Thursday Night Football (TBBT will return to its Thursday perch after five or six weeks, at which point 2 Broke Girls will step in).

Also of note: NCIS: LA is shifting to Mondays at 10/9c (following new drama Scorpion), The Amazing Race is headed to Fridays at 8/7c, and CSI is Sunday-at-10/9c-bound (spin-off CSI: Cyber will replace it at midseason). Also, CBS confirmed that Two and a Half Men is entering its final season.

VIDEO | Watch Trailers for CBS’ New Fall Series, Including Stalker and Madam Secretary

Oh, and despite reports to the contrary, How I Met Your Dad is dead. Turns out CBS was not satisfied with the pilot that Craig Thomas and Carter Bays turned in. “We reached out [to Bays and Thomas], tried to get a redo,” said CBS president Nina Tassler. “It wasn’t what they wanted to do.” (20th Century Fox is said to already be shopping the project to other networks; click here for more on those efforts.)

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to All of the New Shows

On tap for midseason: The MentalistMike & Molly, Undercover Boss as well as new series Battle Creek and The Odd Couple (the latter of which is being retooled).

All told, the CBS schedule looks like this; new shows are in CAPS, click for details.

MONDAY
8 pm The Big Bang Theory/2 Broke Girls
8:30 Mom
9 pm SCORPION
10 pm NCIS: LA

TUESDAY
8 pm NCIS
9  pm NCIS: NEW ORLEANS
10 pm Person of Interest

WEDNESDAY
8 pm Survivor
9 pm Criminal Minds
10 pm STALKER

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

THURSDAY
8 pm Thursday Night Football

THURSDAY (after football concludes)
8 pm The Big Bang Theory
8:30 pm The Millers
9 pm Two and a Half Men (FINAL SEASON)
9:30 THE MCCARTHYS

10 pm 48 Hours

SUNDAY
7 pm 60 Minutes
8 pm MADAM SECRETARY
9 pm The Good Wife
10 pm CSI/CSI: CYBER

NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON: Bad Teacher, The Crazy Ones, Friends With Better Lives, Hostages, Intelligence and We Are Men

1. CBWBDK1 says:

NCIS LA is doomed. It sucks that the mentalist won’t be back untill midseason. I guess this means it’s confirmed that it will be a shorter (and possible final) season.

2. David4 says:

LA is crap anyways. But I find it interesting they got ride of Monday comedies at 9.

• dan says:

Never seen NCIS LA, but I agree it is interesting they dumped comedies at 9 and 9:30. I guess they determined that too many of their target audience was watching either The Voice or DWTS, so putting on a drama may offer better counter programming.

3. Rich says:

I just got to see ABCs line up. It looks like CBS will kick butt again this fall

4. sarah says:

I do not watch any of the NCIS’s. However I would think they would have made it and all NCIS night and moved Mondays!
    I want to watch Stalker but it is up against Chicago PD and Nashville!
    I think I will check out Scorpion, I have nothing on at that time. Well it does depend what the CW does, if they move any of the 3 shows I watch.

• Lauren says:

i have the same issue with stalker. i’ll have to see what online viewing options are available. chicago pd seems to do well for nbc in that timeslot but i was really hoping abc would move nashville next season. i think it would be better suited in a 9pm slot and it seems out of place with abc’s comedy block. despite my hope that they would move it, i’m not surprised they didn’t since they have never really given it the support they’ve shown some of their other (often less deserving) shows.

5. Tran says:

I think NCIS: New Orleans is destined to be a breakout hit for CBS. Madam Secretary = OK in my opinion. Scorpion, Stalker and The McCarthys = PASS PASS PASS. As for Thursday Night Football, not really my kind of ticket. CBS is going to be in serious trouble for the first time in years this upcoming season ever since it has been #1 year after year after year.

• Paula says:

I will not watch ncis New Orleans it was really bad really bad jyst as bad as the ncis red that they tried to spin off on ncis la. I can pick up my remote and find something else to watch then turn it back at 10 for person of interest. We do it need another ncis. 2 is enough.

6. sharona says:

What about CSI ? Full season or not ?

7. Moxie says:

Are you going to update the Fall TV grid?

8. as524 says:

Going to be interesting to see if NCIS LA can stand on its own without the leadin from the mother ship….
    To be honest, past time they moved it out of its safety net….

9. Jayjay says:

Where is How I Met Your Mother? Was it canceled? That’s a crummy thing to do before we know who the mother is.

10. Gerald says:

Oh they are back to their old tricks of shuffling Amazing Race all over the schedule. No doubt it will be a bubble show once again this year. I thought CBS learned their lesson. That Amazing Race does very well when it is treated right. Sunday is where it belongs. Madam Secretary will not have the broad appeal that Race has. It will be a very small demographic.

11. Jen Gossel says:

really sad that Intelligence didn’t get renewed i liked that show :(

• leighbbrown says:

I liked it too and really think they could have at least ended the season with some finality…they just pulled it in the middle of the season.

• JC1 says:

No they didn’t? They aired all thirteen episodes. I think that’s all the first season was ever intended to be?

• Katherine215 says:

JC1 is right, they aired all the episodes. I thought the finale was pretty good in terms of not ending on a cliffhanger. That’s pretty much all you can ask for nowadays.

• leighbbrown says:

I kindly disagree…there was no finality here. In the last few seconds of the final episode, we see Mei Chin get into a limo and ask for her money…to learn that her boss is no other than Leland Strand & that he has more work for her. Leland Strand?? Lillian Strand’s own father who had brought her footage of the abduction containing the kidnapper’s demands…?? And you all call this closure? Wrong. The whole team, Gabriel, Riley, Lillian, Dr. Cassidy and son Nelson were in the dark…until the end…that Leland was connected to the cartel. How is that closure? That was a setup for future intrigue….intrigue that is not coming.

• Paula says:

Same here really sad they canceled intelligence. Was my favorite new show . I am really mad at cbs for canceling intelligence so they could make room for csi cyber or even ncis New Orleans. Would rather watch intelligence than either one of these shows. It’s was great having josh holloway on my tv again.

12. LeeLee says:

Where is The Mentalist….that played after The Good Wife on Sundays? Read earlier this week it was renewed, but don’t see it here.

13. Davin says:

Unforgettable, which returns this Summer, is missing from the schedule

14. dman6015 says:

I still can’t believe they kept a show like Two and a Half Men for another crapfest season and canceled The Crazy Ones. America has too many low-functioning viewers.

15. jj says:

They should have moved POI to Monday at 10pm and have 3 NCIS on Tuesday.

16. haha says:

How I Met Your Father is a casualty of the fan backlash after the ending of How I Met Your Mother.

17. DM says:

Why is CBS putting NCIS LA on Mondays at 10?? That show is doing great in the ratings
    and would provide an excellent lead in for NCIS NO. Hopefully they will place it back on Tuesday and move POI to Friday to lead in for H 5 0. Then again does anyone think that
    CBS cares about what we the viewers think?? It would have been great to have a Tuesday NCIS night. I wasn’t all that impressed with NCIS NO but then again who knows how it will
    develop. Perhaps CBS is trying to establish a solid Monday night 10 PM show. Intelligence
    needed work and it was too similar to POI. Good cast though .
    The last two shows that CBS promoted for the 10 PM Monday slot -Intelligence & before that Hostages- a mess of a TV show- bombed. Under the Dome clicked although I have not gotten into the story. CBS, NBC, ABC want strong 10 PM slot shows so that the 11 PM newscast are ratings winners. That was one of the problems with Leno -his show put the ratings for the 11 PM newscast in the dumpster. When Dome leaves the air until what will be its 3rd season they need a strong show for Monday. I doubt that this is the start of NCIS LA ending. I have a feeling that the producers and writers will meet the challenge and up their game although the past season was great. The show is different than NCIS and like that show the cast has wonderful chemistry .Now that Revolution is toast there isn’t one show that on NBC or even ABC that I watch. For myself it is CBS, TNT, USA and FX. I do think that CSI & the Mentalist are nearing the home stretch and coming to the end of their run.

• Katherine215 says:

Why on earth would they move POI to Friday? It’s a fairly big hit for CBS, they wouldn’t move it to Friday right now. A couple years from now, maybe.

• leighbbrown says:

Yes, moving Person of Interest to Friday nights does not bode well for us viewers who like it. So many people are out and about on Friday night…the industry has long said Friday night time periods are where shows go to die.

• GaryFromCincinnati says:

I felt the same way aboy Hawaii 5.0 when itw as moved to Friday. Somehow it has survived and I love watching it on DVR. POI is already aggrivating me in the fact that this is the the third time and day move for the show. I wish it was still on Thursdays where it premiered. If anything is Friday slot worthy it is the tired and at the end of its run Criminal Minds.

• wingsstef says:

It is possible that CBS moved NCIS LA because it does good ratings and the network has faith that fans will find it.So people might watch it live. While others might DVR it. Still I don’t think the show will lose too many viewers. It makes sense that a network will try to find a show that can be a fair competition to another popular show such as the Blacklist. Intelligence and Hostages on the other hand were new shows without a pre-built loyal fan base.

18. I’m really surprised that Madam Secretary has been given an 8pm slot? I thought the show would be a bit more of a 9pm/10pm drama… 8pm seems a little light weight for a political theme.
    I understand the pairing with The Good Wife and agree with it, BUT if anything I’d have moved TGW to 10pm and had Madam Secretary on at 9pm, or the other way round…

19. They cancelled The Crazy Ones, witty and no live audience, for Mom and the Millers, two of the worst shows ever. Well looks like I’ll be down to watching one show on CBS.

20. Geoff Gentry says:

I have to DVR 10pm shows so the CSI move is fine with me, but I don’t get it and Cyber. are they splitting CSI’s season with Cyber in the middle or is CSI a short season and Cyber take the other? That is confusing.

21. Boiler says:

How stupid to have 3 NCIS’…oh well. I thought Elementary was said, by CBS, to not be delayed during football. I think they will rue cancelling FWBL and The Crazy Ones. Oh well a couple fewer hours of CBS for me.

22. H.Houston says:

I have to say I am baffled…
    Monday night seems to be a comedy night – it makes no sense to put Scorpion and NCIS: LA on that night. Also, NCIS:LA will be going up against Castle and The Blacklist – Monday night at 10pm is going to be a bloody fight for viewers, all of these shows cop/procedurals… not sure if I would have done this.
    Tuesday night would have been a powerhouse if they had put all of the NCIS shows on together. POI can hold it’s own and might have been a better choice for the Monday at 10pm slot.
    Wednesday night had the CM/CSI thing going on that worked. Both of those shows are pretty hardcore and they fit well together.
    Thursday night is all comedy except for Elementary – but there isn’t really another spot for it because of how the rest of the week is set up.
    Friday is going to be a mess. Anyone who was a fan of the Good Wife and the Mentalist knows the Amazing Race is just a PIA to follow because THEY NEVER FINISH ON TIME. This isn’t even taking into account the football and other sports delays. There can be nothing on during the day and the Amazing Race still finishes over on time. The network is going to have the complaints about friday night that they were getting about sunday night.
    Saturday night – snooze
    Sunday night is going to be interesting. Madam Secretary might be a good lead in for the Good Wife for a few reasons – another strong female, a show that will actually end on time. But CSI/CSI: Cyber is odd there. I find it interesting that they have held the Mentalist out.
    Mid-season stuff: The Mentalist – are they doing a truncated season or are they truly holding it out because they have new shows they are not certain of in prime spots and they need something with proven viewership on hand to slip in if one of the new shows fails? They have one new half our comedy that Mike & Molly could slip into if it tanks. Undercover Boss is another hour long show that they could slip in if something tanks.
    There are some fairly big shake ups with the day and time changes.

• RAGAnne says:

As someone who DVRs Amazing Race on Sundays (in a time zone that doesn’t get screwed up by football), I’ve never had a problem with it running over it’s hour. It’s a pre-edited reality program as opposed to the “live” reality shows that can never seem to end on time. I’m looking forward to the Friday move as it will ease up on how hard my machine is working on Sunday nights.

23. Bob Smith says:

FWBL is just a retread of other popular shows, except the actors (for the most part) aren’t as talented as actors on other shows, say Friends or HIMYM. The saving grace for The Millers are the actors; they bring quality to an already tired premise.

24. Aprilcot says:

With the end of HIMYM and the cancellation of The Crazy Ones, there is officially nothing left on CBS that I’ll watch (except for maybe the occasional TNF game). I used to love Criminal Minds but it just got to be too dark for me. Most of their sitcoms are garbage. To each their own, though, I guess.

25. Senior dudette says:

I think NCIS:LA’s move to Mon nights is a mistake, as it will be up against Castle,
    which has a big following.
    I haven’t watched Castle since they decided to make Beckett and Castle a couple.
    That’s just me, but I hate it when they dish up romances, weddings, (usually followed
    followed by baby)..A procedural just isn’t the same with all those elements..(too much cutesy personal stuff!!!)..

Also, I’d rather watch the Mentalist than CSI. I stopped watching CSI long ago
    after William Petersen left the show..He was the whole show…

• JC1 says:

I’m a little surprised you ever watched Castle then. It’s always revolved more around Castle and Beckett’s relationship than around the cases. It’s not like NCIS or CSI.

• Jacqui says:

The Castle writers made a fatal mistake with their finale this year. Any small amount of credibility they enjoyed is lost completely. The show’s ratings will reflect that this coming season.

26. Brandy says:

So 2 BGs won’t start til Oct 30?

27. ruahticsn says:

I will seriously be upset if this beings LA ratings down. A NCIS Triple great would’ve been so much more awesome than LA isolated to Mondays….

28. Steve F. says:

Interesting decisions… TAR on Fridays, for one. NCIS: New Orleans will be going up against a resurgeant Agents of SHIELD, and seeing how that show just keeps getting better and better, NCIS: NO may be fighting an upstream battle. Wasn’t a fan of the HIMYD concept (unless it revealed that the dad was Barney), and not too sad about Two and a Half Men FINALLY ending next year.

29. Emily says:

I think people are forgetting a couple of things about NCIS LA: Despite losing some of its lead in viewers it’s the SECOND most watched drama behind the mothership. Second, the syndication rights were sold after SEVEN episodes and given that it’s headed into its sixth season, it’s likely headed to USA or somewhere to be watched in marathon. It’s hit the point that it will be making money just for existing, so it doesn’t matter if they shed viewers or not, it’s likely to still be around for years to come, and CBS probably made the smart decision not to try and launch something against Castle and the Blacklist. Not to mention, NO and Cyber will likely benefit from the lead in.

• Jena says:

Thanks for the well thought out opinion. I agree with you. It seems like everyone is yapping with about how it’s a bad idea without thought to the economics of the decision. NCIS: NO needed a strong lead in to help it along and this is it.

• Paula says:

Agreed with you about ncis New Orleans cbs paired with the mothership so it won’t get bad rating. Cbs had got yo keep Marc Harmon happy so he does not walk away from the mothership.

• macchief says:

The USA Network already shows NCIS: LA reruns in marthons, they’ve been doing it for a while now.

• Emily says:

I also doubt that CBS is all that worried about the Blacklist given that it will be moving. Even if it does lose some viewers to it in the fall, LA and Castle will more than likely slaughter State of Affairs.

• A constructive post that I agree with. That said I am a fan of NCIS:LA. It may not be the most original show on TV, but I do like the characters.

30. Goodbye Amazing Race. It was a nice run.

31. GhostWolf says:

Well, Mondays at 10 will be a packed one with NCIS:LA, Blacklist and Castle (Blacklist should still be the tops in that time period so it’ll be a fight between LA and Castle) – thank goodness for DVRs. Not really surprised NCIS LA was bumped in favor of NOLA.

32. bill stewart says:

Let’s see watch castle, dvr blacklist, bye bye ncis/la –dumb move cbs

33. Hepha says:

It’s gonna be quite interesting to see how NCIS LA will pull through on Mondays at 9… It probably won’t do the same ratings but I think people will follow…
    As for NCIS : NO, not quite sure it will be as powerful as NCIS LA during its first season…

34. Maryann says:

So how long before when a show airs live doen’t matter any more to the advertisers than it does to the viewers?

35. Cosmo says:

What about the Matthew Perry comedy? The Odd Couple?

36. Rick Katze says:

Interesting. I think SHIELD will eat up NCIS:NO unless the later improves very quickly despite its super-friendly lead-in. Did not see any real chemistry in NO and while LA also didn’t have the chemistry it now has, there were hints that suggested good things to happen once Dom was killed off. I foresee recording a number of shows due to the scheduling conflicts especially since there are a number of time slots where I don’t see anything interesting at all.

As for Monday at 10pm, my best hope lies in my local cable company going to a cable box where three shows can be simultaneously recorded. Actually, maybe 4 during football season. Grumble.

37. Diana says:

We think that they should have Battle Creek and the Mentalist on Saturday night before 48 hours. We think that the perfect choice on The Odd Couple would be to have on Matthew Perry and Matt LeBlanc.

38. Diana says:

We think that they should have NCIS Los Angeles on Wednesday with Criminal Minds at 8 then Stalker at 9 and they should cancel Survivor. The only real big question is why there is Football on Thursday night. Saturday night seems a better choice for Football.

39. Ryan says:

I may be in the minority but I could care less when a show airs. If I like the show they can move it to Monday mornings at 3 AM and I will watch it online or DVR it. I won’t give up on a show just because it moved to a new night.

I am happy though that Mom will get a good lead in from The Big Bang Theory which should help its numbers

40. Barry says:

My wife and I were talking last night about The Mentalist. This is pure conjecture on our part — but wouldn’t it be classic this Sunday in the finale if Pike, Lisbon’s new love, had a 3-dot tatoo on his left shoulder? I would not put it past Heller.

• macchief says:

Heller though already said that he is to stupid to have made Pike a bad guy. So it would seem that Pike is a good guy. Beides Lisbon seems to have slept with him, so if he had the three dot tattoo wouldn’t you think she would have noticed by now.

41. macchief says:

I’m suprised that CBS just didn’t put all the NCIS’s on Tuesday.

• Cliff Baldwin says:

Would have been the smart thing to do

• Doris says:

My opinion is to leave all existing shows in their regular time slot and put any new ones in the spots of cancelled shows, but who listens to me anyway! Big shots sit in their offices and decide to mess up our programs. Not happy about NCIS-LA moving to Monday, let New Orleans go there, I wasn’t impressed with what I saw of it anyway. If some great shows fail because of CBS’s stupid moving them around it’s their fault and our loss!

42. kate says:

so Elementary won’t be back til January?

43. Diana says:

Why are there no new shows on Saturday night? Yet on Sunday night there is a conflict between Once Upon A Time and Madam Secretary. Both sound like good shows. Then both ABC and CBS will be fighting for viewers on Sunday nights. Then with Masterpiece Theatre on PBS having all the good shws all on one night makes it difficult for the viewers.

44. LOL says:

Sweet, I quit watching the Amazing Race because it was always on Sunday after football, and it would never freaking record right. Always missed some of the end no matter how long I altered it to record. Maybe I will actually be able to watch it now.

45. Jared Munson says:

So does that mean CSI isn’t going to have a 22-episode season? Or will it be one of those shows without reruns?

46. Diane says:

the best show,”The Hostages” will not be on, that’s a shame, That one is the most exciting and has the best actors. Too bad, The other shows are so predictable. Not to interested in the rest of your line up

47. Larc says:

A little surprised CBS isn’t scheduling established NCIS: LA at 9 PM on Mondays to be the lead-in for Scorpion at 10. A comedy lead-in for Scorpion likely won’t work as well.

48. Regina says:

All my favorites are on CBS with the exception of one so I appreciate the info.

49. GaryFromCincinnati says:

I’ll never understand why CBS does not package TAR & Survivor on the same night. Wednesday at 8 & 9 would work perfect. Move Criminal Minds to Friday. I also think they would need to give 2 Broke Girls a permenant time slot and stop moving it around. Personally Id love to see it between TBBT and 2.5 Men on Thursdays.

50. Mary S says:

So now they are trying to kill off CSI???? Putting it in that timeslot that is FOREVER running late dooms a show, I don’t care how many fans it has, because it starts so late that folks without a DVR will not be able to see it. This is their typical BS…They cancelled INTELLIGENCE and there is not one pilot description that could possibly hold my interest. And they are cancelling The Crazy Ones, with no suitable replacement. I used to think that CBS was the one network I could count on, but lately they have been proving me wrong. I can think of a number of things the letters could stand for, but recently it’s Certainly Been Scammed …or how about Cannot Be Seen… or, maybe Can’t Be Saved… Closed Brain Speaking…ehhh…kinda lame, but even so, none of the are complimentary…Cautious But Stupid…cutting off INTELLIGENCE after putting it in the second-worst timeslot of the week and putting CSI IN the worst timeslot of the week is definitely stupid.

• Paula says:

Agreed with your comments about intelligence. Should have been renewed. I am do mad that intelligence was not renewed and I have not watch one single cbs show since I heard intelligence was canceled and cbs is really the only channel I watch until they cancelled intelligence and Benin checking out to see what abc and nbc to see what shows they have. Agreed with all things you said cbs stands for. I am tired of cbs canceling the good written shows for the bad ones.