The Originals' Daniel Gillies Talks Hayley and Elijah's 'Doomed' Romance, Plus Finale Scoop

The Originals Season FinaleWell, folks, it’s all come down to this. The fates of the Mikaelsons, their city and their newborn heir all hang in the balance during tonight’s season finale of The Originals (The CW, 8/7c) — and not to stress you out, but Daniel Gillies promises a “tragic” conclusion.

RELATED | Teen Wolf‘s Daniel Sharman Joining The Originals In Spellbinding Season 2 Role

Below, Gillies reflects on Elijah’s recent suffering — including the “complication” of his relationship with Hayley — and teases the “heartbreaking” finale that will propel us into Season 2.

TVLINE | I can’t believe we’re already at the end of Season 1. How did this happen?
Someone described the experience of the first year with a child as the longest shortest year of your life, and in a weird way, that’s how I feel about The Originals in its first year. It’s been the longest shortest year of my life. It still feels like yesterday that we set out on this journey, but if I really look back at it, there’s such a dense archive of memories and experiences. It’s been amazing.

TVLINE | And you’re already cranking out the first three episodes of Season 2. Do you ever sleep?
Structurally, it just made sense to continue on with the second season, given where everybody’s schedules were at and when everybody was working. We were all of the mind that, “Look, the engine’s already firing on all four cylinders and we’re all here, so let’s just get this done.” People still get their hiatus, but it’s nice to continue going without having to do a reset. There’s something awkward about coming back for a new season. That first episode is just a little clunky; you’re not quite at ease.

TVLINE | Speaking of not being at ease, Elijah’s taken a beating these past few weeks.
[Executive producer] Julie Plec definitely has some kind of vendetta against me. She’s very upset with me for some reason and has taken to beating the hell out of me through narrative. I love all of this stuff, but we certainly look a little worse for wear these days. Thank God we have those regenerative powers, otherwise we’d look like Keith Richards and Mick Jagger.

The Originals Season FinaleTVLINE | Elijah’s suits seem to have that regenerative power. He always looks great.
It’s funny, there are certain choices I like to make with Elijah because I feel there really is an amusing aesthetic you can keep with him. Like, I enjoy having him tear someone off a motorcycle that explodes with half of a ton of plastic — and he’s not unscathed, but his hair is relatively in place and his pocket handkerchief is immaculately placed.

TVLINE | I’m sure Hayley appreciates that. Can you preview the future of that relationship?
They’re sort of doomed, and I almost wonder if that’s what makes those two special. And the more she grows, the more humorous it becomes. We had to be really careful with some of those kisses. In trying to seize her in a passionate embrace, I had to make sure I wasn’t being comedic in terms of slamming into a nine month-old belly. We had to exercise due caution with the rampant sexual advances. … I love their chemistry and the complication of the relationship. You’ve got a 1,000-year-old vampire and a pregnant werewolf girl. It couldn’t get any more unique than that. And not only a pregnant werewolf, but a girl pregnant with his vampire brother’s child.

TVLINE | Joseph Morgan recently told us Elijah would make a better father than Klaus. What will Elijah’s relationship be like with Hayley’s child?
That’s difficult to say. He’s someone who’s a real executor of propriety. He values code almost above anything else. People often confuse it with morality or nobility, but it’s a code he adheres to. Because of that code, there’s a restrictive quality. If the child was born, he’d be the most supportive extended family member there could be, but … I think he wants Klaus to be a father and to step up to the plate, almost more than anyone else in that universe. His primary concern is making certain Klaus is honorable towards fatherhood. In a microcosmic way, the child was representative of this new kingdom. He just wants him to take the throne with a degree of dignity, and that means taking fatherhood with that same dignity.

TVLINE | And what does the finale have in store for us? How are you ending the season?
It’s a heartbreaking episode. I haven’t seen the finale itself, but I really felt like what we were doing was something sweet and heartfelt and tragic. But that’s all I can really say. Matt Hastings, our director, is unbelievable. He’s one of our greatest directors, and we were honored and blessed to have him direct the finale. It’s a special way to leave the season.

Browse photos from the season finale below, then drop a comment: How should Season 1 end?

_

1. Verona says:

An impressive share! I’ve just forwarded this onto a friend who had been conducting a
    little research on this. And he in fact ordered me
    breakfast due to the fact that I stumbled upon it for
    him… lol. So allow me to reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!!
    But yeah, thanks for spending time to discuss this
    topic here on your website.

2. jss0058 says:

I thought the show started off really great but it has turned into a messespecially since Claire Holt left. The Haley & Elijah stuff really is on of the few bright spots this season. I think one big problem with the show is that they really don’t know what to do with Klauss

• siberia21 says:

I mostly agree, I thought the same. Now imagine the Hayley/Elijah relationship bothers me more than anything else – I don’t think I will make it through season two. At this point I’m still mourning the first exceptional part of the season and wonder what happend…:(

• aaliyah says:

stop hating elijah and hayley are great they have a good chemistry its not messy its a great show and klaus is one of the best charecters

3. you know says:

WHERE THE HELL IS THE BABY? #WORRIED

• Kevin says:

I think Klaus will exchange his life or something for the baby’s. You can see in the trailer a scene where he’s sitting still like he’s dead.

• Sarah G says:

Ummm, you do realize that if Klaus died, EVERYONE on Vampire Diaries would be gone too? He sired their bloodline…

• siberia21 says:

Haha, this would be funny! lol

• Mel B says:

Popular misconception, however Klaus didn’t sire Katherine. Klaus wanted to use her as the doppelganger for that spell that was supposed to make him a hybrid. I believe Elijah sire Katherine to prevent Klaus from killing her which is why Katherine ran from Klaus. Katherine sired the Salvatore brothers. I believe Caroline died with Damon’s blood in her system and we know Damon sired Elena. The only person Klaus sired is Tyler and since he broke the sire bond he might survive if Klaus died.

4. Trenton says:

I think Haley is gonna die :(. Which is horrid as she is crucial and so dynamic with klaus and Elijah. Hoping somehow someway she is made a hybrid via baby powers… The baby is gonna get kidnapped… Which would be a reason to get Rebecca to come help find it. The worst possible baby napper ? Dear old papa mikael

5. Mikael says:

they’ll probably pull an “Angel” where Mikael kidnaps the baby and it returns soon after all grown up and hates Klaus. Let’s hope not, because that show was almost ruined by that brat. I hope they trim down the stories next season. I’m really sick of all the different factions trying to take control of NO. Marcel needs to knock it off. Cammy is pointless and they need to stop forcing her. I’m not sure I like Hayley’s betrothed. He seems like a CW knockoff of Alcide from True Blood.

• Sarah G says:

Omg yes, thank you! Especially after Kieran’s death, Cami literally has no point anymore. Her actress even said there’s nothing left for Cami in New Orleans anymore.

• aaliyah says:

klaus cares about cammi so she does have a point in the show shes a great actor if you dont got anything nice to post then dont post it

6. Kelride says:

I feel like Hayley might die too, although that would not make sense given she is an integral part of the show right now, would feel more right if someone like Cami or Marcel died. Personally I think both of them are forced now. Since the Guerrara wolves have made themselves known, I think there is a whole story there that doesn’t involve Marcel. At first he was a good counterpoint to Klaus, now he’s just a guy that doesn’t know when to quit. The Originals can’t die, I don’t think Marcel remembers that. He keeps trying to kill them off and it never works out. If that’s his only plan I think he needs to go. Elijah already killed Thierry, Marcel is skating on thin ice.

If Cami or Marcel dies or leaves, probably wouldn’t be as sad, it seems more natural for them to go. I really hope they allow Hayley and Klaus to actually try and raise a child together it would be interesting to see the dynamic. Especially would be interested to see how Klaus raises a child, he is so determined to not be like his father I think he would be a good one for his daughter. Speaking of doomed love, doesn’t exactly mean Hayley is going to die I think maybe she’ll turn into a hybrid or something will happen that will not allow her to be with Elijah, or maybe she will realize being in the middle of two brothers isn’t the best spot to be in. First and foremost she cares about her daughter. If it’s not right for the child, she probably will remain alone. If it goes the way I want it to, she’ll become a hybrid if her life is in danger and live through the season finale.

Granted, there have been a lot of shocks in this show and things have not always gone according to plan, so for all we know they could shake it up and kill Hayley. Who knows, maybe she could come back to life again next season somehow. I think Mikael will be crucial in this part of the story, I think out of everyone he would be the one to kill Hayley if he came back to life. Now we just have to hope Davina doesn’t give in and bring the psycopath back to life. I hope she realizes that bringing Mikael back hurts all of the Original siblings, not just Klaus. Klaus is the one that has killed people she loves. Rebekah and Elijah have not treated her badly, Elijah has even treated her with respect and taught her some of his mother’s spells.

7. nima says:

klaus will make the hybird whit his childs blood and kill all of the werewolf

8. My favorite new show of the season (better the it parent show The Vampire Daries) and I am so happy there will be a season two. It’s been a while (since spike from BTVS) since I have felt love for a vampire character and Elijah is the one :) love him!

• scholarstica says:

i love him too though he’s out of my reach and he’s too old for me too..but its not bad to just have a crush on him i guess….. in the play i love seeing him together with hayley they are so good to be together!!Amen to that..

9. Aryn says:

First of Hayley won’t die…she is a core character, not to mention the only real girl amongst the male population on the show (Elijah, Klaus, Marcel and company) they can’t afford to kill her off!!! I am hopeful that Rebecca will come back mid-season and she and Hayley will become this unbreakable force that gets the men in line :-) I’m tired of the witches, could do without most of them (I do like the Josh & Davina dynamic tho). Cami is the only character I feel that could go away and it’ll be like she never existed…she brings nothing to the story, unless someone changes her (to werewolf, vampire, or witch). Liked her in the beginning but now, eh there is no use for her sadly. Bon Voyage to my favorite vampires, until we meet again this fall….

• aaliyah says:

first of all you couldnt be changed into a werewolf or a vampire cammi is a great actor you guys need to leave her alone she helped marcel and klaus she cared for both of them shes like a new caroline but a human and you would notice if she was gone

• scholarstica says:

gal i also do hate the witches they are ruining the good times though i got to say they are a big role in the movie.. for Cami she’s a character i dont really understand first of all she’z human nothing makes her look so interesting in the Originals and she’s shouldnt fall in love with Marcel because…,.. Marcel is a perfect match for Rebekah…WAY A PERFECT MATCH.

10. baba says:

Elijah would look for klaws for cure from the warewolf bite then stom back to clear the witches coz he never forgive those who make attempt on that child. Thier real problem now is mr mikeal i think thats the mystery that lead us to season 2 the originals

• Chantall says:

I think the ending was amazing what an epic moment klaus had with his baby girl before he handed her over to rebeka