Person of Interest Finale Recap: Lucky Seven

Person of Interest Decima Created VigilanceCBS’ Person of Interest held court in its Tuesday season finale, as Vigilance leader Peter Collier sought to hold Senator Garrison, Control and ultimately our own Mr. Finch liable for the violations of privacy committed by the U.S. government.

Meanwhile, Reese teamed with Hersh to bust up the mock trial, and Shaw gave Root a helping hand in hacking Samaritan — but to what surprising end?

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled?

To Collier’s credit, the guy went all out in his bid to best simulate a proper trial, assigning the defendants a lawyer, bringing in (captured) jurors and all. All he wants to know is: “Who is responsible for Northern Lights?” Garrison tries to play dumb, but ultimately points a finger at Control. “Ma’am,” though, is one cool cucumber when on the stand, spinning a yarn about how she carried wounded from the plane that hit the Pentagon — a tragedy that perhaps could have been avoided with proper intel.

Pressed for the name of Northern Lights’ creator, Control keeps mum, but Finch nonetheless is compelled to come forward. “You built it,” Collier all but marvels. “One man is responsible for the most invasive surveillance technology in the world.” Finch’s understatement response: “I’m good with computers.” Finch begins to tell all — provided that all the other lives are spared — explaining how he built the Machine because he was worried what others might build — other people who wouldn’t worry.

Meanwhile, Reese and Hersh, with some assists from Fusco (and Bear!), track down the location of the “court” (in an old post office) and begin taking down thugs when Hersh discovers that the building is rigged to blow sky-high. And indeed it is, at Greer’s doing. It is then revealed that when Collier né Brandt was first recruited to form Vigilance, Greer was behind it. That Greer in fact wanted Vigilance to exist, because Finch’s machine was in fact working too well. Blowing up the post office, with innocents inside — and with Vigilance to blame — would remind people (and more importantly, politicians such as Garrison) “how bad things can be,” by creating a “fresh atrocity.”Deus Ex Machina

Greer has his goon gun down Collier, but before he can kill Finch (“Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead” and all), Reese shows up guns a-blazing, though Greer gets away.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

Later, with Garrison’s blessing and given access to government feeds, Greer fires up Samaritan and begins targeting “threats.” Team Machine, however, will be invisible to Samaritan, thanks to Root’s handiwork. Because (we, Shaw and the others learn) her objective in sneaking into its location was not to stop it, but to hack it — tricking it to “ignore” seven numbers: Her, Shaw, Finch, Reese and her three hacker pals who now are in the wind. It was “never about winning,” Root tells Finch. “It’s just about surviving.”

Armed with new IDs and money, the core four split off, ignored by Samaritan, as Greer greets his new toy “good morning” in an ominous way — à la “It’s not what my commands are for you, but what your commands are for us.” Yikes.

What did you think of the POI finale? Shoot any burning Qs to InsideLine@tvline.com!

1. Amber says:

I liked this show so much better when it was just person of the week. All of these different people after the machine and etc just made me lose interest in the show

• rflairfan1 says:

I almost stopped watching in the first season because of that. I don’t like boring shows.

• Bozo says:

I think they’ve done an excellent job of finding a balance between the over-arcing storyline and the person-of-the-week format. The end of last season was heavy on the overall story as well, but then things were back to normal when they came back with an episode primarily just about a number.

• rflairfan1 says:

I don’t mind the occasionally person of the week now. In the first season it was all the show was. But once everything started to become clearer it didn’t bother me as much. Sometime when they do several big episodes about a storyline a nice episode about the person of the week is a nice change of pace.

• hana says:

I have a feeling you will still see cases of the week next week. I am betting we will (for a while) have episodes where we only see one of the main characters each week, since they are separated from each other, and they will find ways to help save lives each week. So, don’t be disappointed – I don’t think they’re going to essentially move away from that.

The way this show has evolved, is very similar to Fringe, where it started out as monsters of the week but then more skillfully integrated the overarching narrative. And Fringe did have some straight-up runs of purely serialized stories, but they always went back to monsters of the week from time to time.

• hana says:

I meant, “You will still see cases of the week next YEAR”

• rflairfan1 says:

I agree that it won’t completely disappear. But the first season had way to much of the person of the week. I am really glad I stuck with it though. I agree on the Fringe comparison. I miss that show.

• Nicole says:

Really? My family feels the opposite. Now it is such an exciting show and the storylines all coming together in the finale was amazing. The show has gone to a whole other level!!

• Mark says:

Agreed. The show is the best it’s ever been. Bring on Season 4!

• Ian says:

Agreed. POI started off strong, but it’s seriously become some next-level stuff this season. And it’s really not that hard to follow all the plot threads if you’re paying attention.

• Dot says:

Totally. Since the show started, things are said that pointed to what eventually happened in the last few episodes. Even at the beginning, Harold says he built the machine to thwrart terrorists and thru all the episodes he mentions quite a few things on HOW he build Team Machine. Like giving it a more human thought process, ie knowing right from wrong.

• MP says:

I feel the same as you do, Amber. I’ve lost interest in this show and I used to love it so much. I hate Root and I’ve started forwarding through parts of the show. That’s usually my last step before I attempt to cut the cord, which I have such a hard time doing with shows I watch.

• hana says:

Sounds a bit like the Fringe fans who left because they didn’t like the alternate universe… which became an essential part of the show’s DNA, so, unfortunately I think you will be disappointed if you are waiting for the show to “drop Root” or something like that. Sorry…!

• MP says:

You’re right. I was a Fringe fan who didn’t like the alternate universe. But I still kept watching…and didn’t fast forward. I was thinking about this last night and I think I’m more of a procedural show kind of girl. I am glad that so many people are liking POI and the turn it’s taken. It’s nice to have a quality show that you really like.

• Dot says:

At first, I was not happy with how the show was going, but I purposely did not watch the last 2 episodes until yesterday. And I have to say it was one hell of an exciting 2 episodes!!!

• Morisot says:

Me too. I loved this show!. I liked it when Finch was in charge and Reese was the enigmatic, brooding hero along with their two, very human, police detective cohorts. Now Root is in charge and Reese is INTERCHANGABLE WITH BEAR!

• Tracy says:

Amber, I too miss the POW. There’s doing a story “arc” and then there’s a soap opera…and my opinion is they’ve been leaning too far into soap opera territory. As a person with memory issues, it makes it very difficult to follow along.

• brandon says:

The continuing storyline is the thing I like best about it. I get so bored at the person of the week and find myself doing something else while I watch unless the episode has something to do with the ongoing storyline.

• Leah says:

I’m disheartened that people feel this way. The themes and issues they are playing with on this show are chillingly close to reality, and they’re the only show on air that’s really addressing them. If all they ever do is a POTW case, their antics, while fun, would become stagnant and repetitive. If they stay in some kind of a holding pattern with no real stakes or character evolution, what would be the point? What value would it have to offer? Honestly, this is one of the least “prestigious” shows I watch (a subjective/arbitrary label, I admit), but I love and defend it because it’s entertaining yet thought-provoking, but not overly pretentious. It’s got its weaknesses, but it’s a good balance of procedural and serial, it’s fearless, and most importantly, it’s relevant. Only thing I watch on CBS. Almost didn’t give it a shot because it was on CBS.

• Amber says:

I just feel that there is too much going on with the show. I can’t keep up with all of these people wanting the machine. There’s control, samaritan, I cant even remember the other group. I cant keep up with which group is which and who is with each group. I detest Root. I liked the dirty cop storyline and HR and that branching out from the potw stories didnt bother me. But when it starts getting into the origins of the machine and all of this other stuff, I just don’t care. I have to rewind the show several times when I watch it to catch something I missed. Some shows Im ok with doing that and really having to think about whatever the plot is, but with this show I’m just tired of it I guess. jmo

• Newo says:

i think that says a lot more about you then it does about the show, its not THAT complicated.

• hana says:

In the end, though, things get dealt with once and for all. For instance, HR is no longer a player in the plot; it’s been broken up. The same goes for Vigilance now. Not all of these moving parts stay active. They play their part in the overall story and then go away.

• Kel says:

If it just did the person of the week every episode, it’d get so boring. Occasionally I’d get confused to all of the different references to each group, but once I saw the face, I’d instantly remember. The show is better because it has an overall storyline and it makes you think.

• Kel says:

Well said, Leah. Maybe it’s more comfortable if the show is predictable every episode, but I like being on the edge of my seat, not knowing what’s going to happen next all fo the time. The fact that the premise of the show is so relevant makes this show all the more compelling. How could they have the Machine but never speak about the privacy/protection argument? And I love how the writer’s show all sides of the argument and how each have valid points. I like the fact that this show doesn’t take itself to seriously, either. It may not be Breaking Bad, but I love the show and it’s as entertaining.

• barbara says:

Agree Amber!!!!! i liked it when they just got numbers and helped the people. getting too science fiction for me!!!!!

• Dot says:

Science Fiction???? Have you not been paying attention? So surveillance systems are science fiction….. I don’t think the NSA, CIA, FBI, Interpol, Google, Yahoo, Facebook and other entities would agree with you

• I think it’s best you watch NCIS or CSI, if you want a person of the week. Your loss.

• bc323 says:

Although I do miss the more personal stories, I am enjoying the new format. What I don’t like is that Root is in charge, and smugly telling everyone, including Finch, what to do. I like Amy Acker, but Root has got to go.

• Robyn David says:

I hope that’s not the total end of “Person of Interest”

2. rflairfan1 says:

I loved the finale. I was actually sad that Hersh died. I have grown to like the character and actor. I didn’t quite get how Shaw found Root so fast, since I don’t think she even knew where she was. The ending was very Leveragesque everyone going off on their own. I wonder how many episodes they will have them apart or if there will be a time jump. I thought this season was hands down the best yet. Can’t wait for Season 4.

3. Rac says:

Epic fail. Evil wins again. So if Finch knows Decima was Vigilance why did he not tell Control that the very people who you gave access to just blew up a building.

Don’t these idiots know that even the Control and the Senator is not safe from samaritan. Heck not even the President is safe now. Pure stupidity.

Think this is it for me.

• Gjard says:

Finch didn’t find out that Decima controlled Vigilance until after he, Collier, and Greer were on the roof alone with the Decima agents. Since the information is third party, I doubt Decima would tell the Government about the threat to Control and the Senator from their own system. If anybody on Harold’s team tried to relay the truth, they would be found by Samaritan and killed like the Vigilance agents were. My guess is that season 4 will be about how they can come about informing the Government about the truth behind Decima without being killed in the process.

• hana says:

Don’t you love it when people who don’t think things through just give up and call a show “stupid.” ?

• Ian says:

The senator almost literally gave Samaritan life. It would be one hell of a malfunction for Samaritan to target him.

4. Tenney says:

Honestly, sometimes I think this show became just too smart for me. I love it, but I sometimes I have a hard time following what is happening. There are times I have to rewind portions of it numerous times to get what is happening. But I love it and I’m glad that they don’t dumb it down. It was a really great finale and I can’t wait to see what happens next season.

• Big Mike says:

I agree. For a LOOONG time I was confused about Decima, Vigilance, Control,and their various goals/interests. It was quite muddled for a while. It finally became clear in the last quarter of the season who was doing what and why. Now that I “get it”, I’m excited to see what next season brings.

• Z. says:

I know what you mean. Sometimes it goes so fast,that you are at the end of an episode and then just go ???. I always listen to the Podcast of Interest to better understand the episode I’ve watched. The guys that do the Podcast give me such insight and are very smart and in my hubmle opinion I think its and extra cherry on top of the amazingness that is this show.

5. sladewilson says:

Actually the battle has dramatically changed, the war is far from over. Great season finale. Not even close to being tied up in a neat little knot, it’s now, what happens because YOU KNOW that Root ain’t gonna let it go. Oh no. Girlfriend is gearing up for round 2….

• FeelsBadForPeterCollier says:

That’s cool, but if Root is supposed to be on board because she is so for A.I. machines exisiting, she should be just like Greer and want BOTH machines and more machines to whatever they want. Greer seems like a more genuine Root because he wants both machines to thrive while Root just seems to want control or be in the the machines “loop”.

• Flip says:

If I understood correctly, a whole new political dictatorship has been set up as the macro-evil and that has to be new and exciting, no?

6. Riddick says:

Started out decent with some really good dialogues in court room but last 15 minutes were simply superb. Collier became really compelling character in last 2 episodes, Greer has great charisma like a Bond villain, gonna miss Hersh :(

POI shows how its done without throwing a huge cliffhanger, both season 2 and 3 finale gave great payoffs too.

7. Spoier Junkie says:

This show has transcended from being a mere procedural to being one of the best dramas on TV.

This was an amazing and epic finale.

8. Eurydice says:

I was worried for most of the episode because it seemed to have more than the usual blah, blah, blah. I found myself hoping someone would blow up the courthouse just to get them to STOP TALKING. And then they did, and then they blew up everything else and sent the show in a different direction. And then I was happy.

9. tv2day says:

Amazing show that’s getting its best ratings this season. Saving a new person every week was getting boring. They have expanded this show really well. A true finale causes damage, leaves unanswered storylines, and does not tie up in a nice little bow at the end. Next season is shaping up to be amazing. 3 was easily the best season. For me it got great with the very first shaw episode in season 2

10. Fyrkat says:

Am I the only one concerned because Fusco was not included in the seven? And who took Bear? I think I missed part of the ending.

• rflairfan1 says:

The reason Fusco was not included is that he doesn’t know about the machine and Decima doesn’t know about him. Fusco isn’t a threat to anyone. Finch took Bear. Reese took his guns from the library.

• chistosa says:

I was concerned that they didn’t have Fusco as one of the 7 as well.

• Dot says:

Me too. And they STILL kept him in the dark when he showed up in his Hummer!!! Also, during all the shooting in the “courthouse”, I was screaming “Bear Bear – PLEASE save Bear!!!!”

• Nancy says:

I think Fusco will be the wildcard in the story next season.

• hana says:

Finch took Bear.

11. Rick Katze says:

It was an unbelievable night. All three CBS shows and Shield on ABC were great, although the cliffhanger in NCIS:LA was unfortunate.

I think the producer made the right call since saving one number/week was becoming too obvious. They’ve recreated a show which now has a new and compelling purpose to it. I expect individual numbers to be saved but probably in a greater arc.

Not sure if we are going to see Fusco(?) since he will not be invisible to Samaratin and thus has limited benefits.

• rflairfan1 says:

The way I took it with Fusco is that he is not a threat. He doesn’t know about the Machine. The first time he heard about it was in this episode and John quickly changed the subject. Decima doesn’t know that they had help from him so I think that is why he wasn’t included. Maybe I am overthinking it but that’s what I came up with.

• Fido says:

I hoping for a scene in s4 where Fusco is all put out that he didn’t get a new identity :) – but your “he doesn’t know there’s a machine” bit is interesting :)

12. Lisa Dugan says:

No sorry not loving it at all. The evil guy in charge has been done to death. Having to wait 4-6 months for this story to devolve is a punishment. All these writers think they’re so brilliant challenging themselves to be different & they wind up doing the same thing as everyone else & killing what WAS working & what was unique about the show. Finch in control, his.mammoth wealth & quiet persona as in the early episodes, the library, bear, John & more John, Shaw, Lionel, even Root grew on me when they stopped making her the evil gal in charge… I can live with change. I suffered through The Mentalist trying to find itself again after the writers practically self destructed. But,no, definitely No this omnipotent Greer & Samaritan doomsday plot line is not my cup of tea & seriously not the good guy plot of Finch & Reese that captured me in the first place.

• Gabby says:

Totally agree on all counts. The plot, whilst not “complex” just isn’t the show I invested in when I watched Seasons 1 (and 2 to a certain extent) originally. It’s become something entirely different and I am officially “out” for Season 4 now. I also hoped we might have a new “big bad” return from the episode of the “voice” on the phone who attacked the 911 call centre – that was a genuinely creepy episode and needed to be expanded upon.

• Dot says:

But IF you paid attention during all the previous seasons, it WAS all about what happened this season. It was brought up all the time but not in an “in your face” way.

• Linda says:

Listen to Finch’s intro speech through all of S1 and most of 2. The show was all about helping people:”ordinary people, like you”. That’s what he said, and that;s what we bought into. That idea, that “irrelevant” people were worth saving, and the road to redemption for Reese and Finch were all they needed. But they ran out of ideas for stories about “ordinary people” — and for single working mothers like Carter — and moved instead to this whole world domination/AI will kill us all story that’s been done to death. Ordinary people, and ordinary viewers, have become irrelevant to the showrunners.

• Skittles&Bits says:

I disagree. The show is about saving ordinary people–and still is. It’s just now there’s a new dimension to the rescues–the fact that the good guys are being hunted by another “all-seeing” machine. Bringing Samaritan into the plot, to me, was progression for POI. Finch has been using the Machine to save ordinary people for 3 seasons but what happens when he’s also on the run? What will he do then? Continue to save people or hide? The story has always been about Finch and John fighting adversity to save people; it’s just that now the adversity is an uncontrolled supercomputer run by a psychopathic old man.

13. Diz says:

Great finale. I love how this show keeps evolving and doesn’t do the same thing all the time yet doesn’t go so far to where the new stuff would be unbelievable. I also agree with others about loving how they don’t dumb stuff down.

• Patrice says:

Couldn’t agree more. Every show keeps building and building the storyline. I hate that tonight was the season finale. September seems so far off. Love all the cast members and even felt bad when Hersh died. Can’t wait for next season. I love a show that gives such great performances–

14. Nancy says:

I got teary-eyed when all the pictures of the ones who died on their watch showed Carter’s pic. Great way to tie up the whole story. It all made so much sense. I feel so sad for them and yet now their purpose is the save the world. The only thing I really want is for Harold, John, or Shaw to be the hero of this thing, not Root. She’s so smart but I find her annoying. When Harold set up the Machine to protect itself by moving it, he may have saved us all. I am so in love with these characters.

• FeelsBadForPeterCollier says:

Anyone else notice in LAST episode how Collier’s dead brother was Carte’s baby-daddy! I feel like Im the only one who caught that small-world tidbit thrown in by the writers

• Kal Kurtis says:

I did not get that impression. Carters son is with his father at the time of Carter’s death, so Collier’s brother couldn’t be the father because he killed himself which was sometime around 2010 or 2012.

• Pdiddily says:

Or you just think all black people look the same. It was not him.

15. Mark says:

That was one of the best season finales I’ve seen in a very long time. Great season! I’m really looking forward to seeing what happens next. :)

16. Justin says:

Awesome episode. I loved every minute. I will really miss Collier and Hirsch. But I’m so glad that Root is okay. She’s my favorite. Best show on tv.

17. Jeff W says:

Did anyone catch the line of code that Finch used in erasing everything. The Machine its self speaking to them, because Root was on the phone? The Machine has become more sentient than Samaritan.

The Machine will reboot and I think Root placed something inside Samaritan to fight it within. The Machine is watching over her children and she just might have become pissed off.

• suzi says:

I agree. i also think that Samaritan’s commands are not going to be what Greer expects.

• Sarah says:

I think that even Greer doesn’t know what to expect. That’s what makes it so exciting. He is so indoctrinated with Samaritan and the belief that humanity needs a God running the show that he will do anything Samaritan tells him too. It’s purely blind faith.

• Dot says:

And because how Harold programmed The Machine, The Machine will become the hero/heroine at the end – of course, along with Reese, Shaw, Finch, Bear and Fusco!!!

18. JAO says:

Great show & finale. The show is quite something in its evolution. Smart and ‘relevant.’ Can’t wait til Fall!

19. Liz says:

I suppose I should resort to watching reruns now to satisfy my POI addiction, lol. :)
    Great season finale.

20. ? says:

Root and Shaw: lesbians? Anyone else picking up on that?

• Amy says:

I am and wondered if anyone else was! They have great chemistry together!

• Sarah says:

They have great chemistry together, but at this point it’s just flirting. I don’t think it will evolve into anything more because a relationship would really change the dynamic of the show and would detract from the fantastic plot.

21. jackie says:

I would love for Root and Shaw to hook up. There’s so much chemistry, all they have to do is look at each other and it’s hot as hell!!! Great finale, best season yet, with the exception of killing Det. Carter. Cannot wait for next season and a possible Root/Shaw hook up!!!

• Dot says:

WHY does there have to be ANY HOOK UPS!!!!!

• Phyllis Strickland says:

I agree with Dot, we don’t need any hookups. It would detract from the show. I personally am getting tired of same sex hookups on almost every show. It seems to be an unspoken requirement these days. I’m for equability, etc, but don’t need it shoved in my face especially when it seems contrived to be sure they get all the demographics. Why don’t we also have a Spanish, Asian, African American, etc. on every show? That is more important.

• Guest says:

I think the semi-flirting and bromance on the show is enough. It’s funny, entertaining, and good for a quick laugh but doesn’t deter from the plot. Maybe it’s too optimistic that Finch can skip town and find Grace in Italy and live happily ever after. That’s pretty heart-breaking.

22. taahimar says:

Stopped watching when they killed Carter tried it again for the finale and still doesn’t feel right without her for me.

23. Frank says:

I love this show! The season ender was just awesome. September is so far away. I am going to Shaw.

24. Brian says:

II feel the show is at ir best when it more serialized than when it save a person of the week. I know that what the show was about but it turned into just another CBS cop show which I don’t like these shows anymore. Since the show going in a new direction with them being on the run and it going to be more serialized which will make this good show even better. I can’t wait to see what going to happen, I wouldn’t be surprised if they are going to try to save the people that Samaritan is trying to kill. Which would be kind of cool.

• Maryann says:

That makes a lot of sense. I was trying to figure out how they were going to do weekly stories next year after all that has happened.

25. JD says:

If you have trouble following along with a TV show, I cringe at what job you are holding down. It’s not complicated guys. I like the story lines they have created now. They have added real depth to the characters and given themselves the option of a POW or a connected arc-story each week. The writers probably love having the freedom to develop longer story lines and actual full, deep characters rather than quickly-drawn, shallow people.

26. Jack says:

I love POI as well. And I enjoy having story arcs along with the POW stories because I enjoy how it goes us the opportunity to learn more in-depth about our main characters and their development as the season continues along. I really enjoy the Root character. Everybody doesn’t have to be loveable to be enjoyed. We’re seeing other sides to her besides the nutjob she played initially. We now see there’s a method to her madness. I like the relationship between her and the Machine. It’s unique and we need to keep it interesting. I find it fascinating how the Machine has come to use Root in ways “she” never would have/could have with Harold. The whole arc story is so fascinating to me in light of where we are technologically/informationally in the world now. It’s pretty much 1984 and the majority of people don’t seem to give a damn where it’s all headed. It’s a runaway train and can’t be stopped. I’m so glad I won’t be on this planet 50 years. It’ll be a darn creepy place. Ok enuff of that. POI. Excellent show. Can’t wait for next season.

27. barbara says:

need to go back to just getting numbers and helping people getting too be like science fiction show

28. Jas Petterson says:

I thought Root and her extra servers were meant to take over Samaritan and add all this new capacity to the Machine so the ending really surprised me, and in a good way. Maybe in an alternative Fringe type universe the Machine does this and become truly omnipotent– another great story line to explore …

29. Doug B. says:

The finale was okay but I thought the death of Carter was better drama. I guess I’m a bit burned out on the Big Bad Guy story line – first it was HR and now Decima/Vigilance.

It will interesting where it goes next season but I fear it has evolved too much into fantasy for my taste. The bombing of the post office and the reveal about Vigilance was just too obvious.

I like the Number of the Week since I find individual stories more compelling than the story arc with Decima.

Still a good show but they might be making the same error Lost made by being too out there.

30. Marie says:

Wonderful show!! Great storyline…creative but hope there is no romance between Root and Shaw..that would make it a trite show and so far it had been anything but..of course the 7 will find each other …but how?

31. alexjones says:

awesome, i’ve seen some pretty good finales this week but this has to be the best so far.

32. jas says:

When I got to the end of the show I believed that the series was over !! What a GREAT season finale !! IMO the Shaw/Root connection should remain a working relationship.

33. Phillip says:

I found the final episode this season a bit confusing but when my daughter explained it to me all was clear. I am in love with Root so knock off the lbgabc stuff. Not everything is about them. Root digs Finch anyway. I want to see Elias come back and complete the story line that never went beyond the killing of Simmons. Let’s clear that up. I would even like to see Leon and Zoe pop up again. A mixture of the “person of the week” plot and the continuance of the story arc concerning Decima and Samaritan would be good. Above all, keep BEAR safe. Like everyone else we will wait impatiently for next season to see the saga develops. One final word: Kill the LImey (Greer)!!!

• Nancy says:

Exactly what I was thinking there are wildcards out there besides Fusco and Zoe was the first one I thought of. Leon, Elias, maybe Carter’s son – are there anymore?

34. pat says:

I had trouble getting used to this newer format at first, but have come to appreciate and enjoy it more and more as the season progressed. Looking forward to next season.

35. Ellen says:

Get ready folks… I believe we are heading for a final season this fall! Undoubtedly one of the best shows on T.V.!

I’m a HUGE CBS fan, so I may be too bias guys! Our team now has had to split up to survive and if you’ve been checking the blogs, Jonathan Nolan has said the characters are not “STATIC”, meaning the journey is dangerous and he referenced Finch and Reese having the discussion in an earlier season, that should they continue, they’ll end up dead.

Not to mention these actors have a big screen background and have said on many occasions, they have no intention of making the usual seven year commitment, hence Carter’s untimely and devastating demise. Love this show and can’t wait until fall. It may show them separately, still saving lives, making a difference and then all reconnecting towards the end, prior to their passing. I’m not looking forward to that, however, it may be inevitable. I’m trying to brace myself. Love this team and it was Awesome to see my Bear! Love it!

• alexjones says:

I hope next season isn’t the last, I love this show.

• Ellen says:

Me too. I truly hope I’m wrong on that one. It’ s such an Awesome show. it’s not your typical procedural, it’s got the mid season arcs, well written, talented actors… I even end up a little sad when the bad guys get it, case in point Elias/(still around), Peter, Hersch … heck even Control, (still around). I even predict that Samaritan will probably turn on Greer, before he gets a clue. When they’re bad though, they’re really bad to the core… I was happy to see the HR pack get theirs, LOL. Great show!

36. Nit Picker Jr says:

It took me awhile to get back into POI, after Carter passing away, but eventually the turn that the show has taken after that gut shot has been really interesting. The finale was awesome. Bear was awesome, Hersh was awesome (“You know the next time we meet I’ll probably have to kill you?” “You’re welcome to try…” LOL.) Heck, even detective Fiasco was awesome in his own bungling way. I still miss Carter in the team, keeping John honest and stuff, but can’t wait for next season.

Also, runners of some other shows (Marlowe!) should look at POI for a lesson in how to end a season right. This is how it’s done.

37. CG says:

Everyone notice what person was NOT included in the “lucky seven”? Fusco! I would think Samaritan would tag him as a person to eliminate based on his past and future deeds. I wonder if that will be an episode for next season?

38. a gette says:

I think the battle now will be Samaritin trying to kill the enemy’s of Decima and the Machine crew trying to stop them.

39. Linda says:

So Nolan sold this show, to the network and the fans, as a procedural with a semi-original twist (stolen from “The Equalizer” but updated) — then turned it into a sci-fi dystopia story just like the other, what, six, eight “original” shows that failed on networks this year?

The original characters were nuanced and imperfect and it was wonderful to tease out little bits of their stories. But after the Season 2 closer — when 2 years’ worth of build-up to the truth about Harold’s injuries and Nathan’s death was shot right to hell with careless writing (brilliantly acted, but so full of plot holes you could strain pasta with it). Root was a brilliantly evil psychopath — now she’s the Voice of the Machine. (Harold has apparently forgotten that she tortured one man and murdered two people in front of him — so the fans are also expected to forget.) Reese became mostly set dressing for the back half of this season.

And now, given seven servers, three hackers, and the Machine in her ear, the best Root can do is create some false IDs? Really? Against a computer system that is virtually untested and unrefined? Guess she wasn’t so brilliant after all. I’m so done with this show. Good luck with the reboot — I’m out.

• ? says:

Root’s done nothing worse than Reese and Shaw have in their pasts. None of these characters started out as good people, but they’re trying to be now and it’s something they struggle with. It’s one of the most interesting parts of the show.

40. I enjoyed the ending very much I would like to see how they come back as living a normal life and not saving people anymore. I was very upset when Det. Carter was killed off the show, she should come back with them, when they all resurface and kick more butts.

41. Bigref says:

POI has evolved from an interesting and entertaining show to an engaging and scary show. From science fiction to fictionalized reality. Amy Acker is extraordinary as Root and compliments Shaw, Reece and Finch. John Nolan is doing exceptional work as well. If you find the plot too confusing, do not even attempt to watch Game of Thrones or, for that matter, CSPAN. My fear with POI is that it falls into the overdone Colussus, Terminator trap. The final two episodes elevated my hope that the writers were more clever than that. I cannot wait for next season!

42. SethSr. says:

This one of the few show I watch on TV. I don’t have cable and I find watching PBS more mentally elevating. I’ve loved this show from the first because it reminded me of my favorite “The Equalizer.” As the stories get more complicated the writers are losing touch with their core characters. How can wacko Root run the show with Finch and Reese not protesting this
    even Fusco calls here a wacko! I love Shaw she is a great contrast to Reese. The death of Carter was a fabulously written and acted episode. What worries me POI has a lot of fans that understand the plotlines and if the writers alienate these fans, new one time tuner-inners are not going to get this show and it will dies from bad numbers. This show requires viewers to look, listen, remember, and think. View shows on TV require this!

• pat says:

I must say I agree with your assessment of this show. I’ve been a real fan of this show since the beginning, but it does require genuine attention to the plot and characters. It should be interesting to see how the writers deal effectively with this newest plot twist in the finale.

43. SethSr. says:

CORRECTION! I did love BURN NOTICE when I could catch it!

44. oldresorter says:

I like the show. I’m not sure I liked the final. If the show stays true to the final and they stay apart, I won’t like that. Plus, Root, I like her, the actress and the character, but she pretty much became the star in the last few eps, what’s that all about?

Many great shows ruin themselves when they grow too far away from what they began with, I worry about that for POI. Yet, I’m still watching and enjoying!

45. Rich Abey says:

- Shoo away everybody who thinks Person of Interest is no longer about the “Person of Interest of the week” and hence sucks. If you don’t like it, simply don’t watch it. While PoI was a good/great show when it dealt with a ‘case of the week’ theme in the first two seasons, it has elevated into a truly great show in Season 3, a show that can now be spoken of in the same breath as the likes of Breaking Bad. ‘Devil’s Crossing’ and now ‘Deus Ex Machina’ have been two of the best hours on TV the past season.
    – The closest comparison to PoI’s evolution would be Arrow, a show that was good in it’s first season dealing with a baddie of the week but has now elevated into a great show with a season-long-baddie in Season 2.
    – I honestly thought that there would not be a show in a long time that could match the grandeur & scale of ‘Lost’…such was the enormity & complexity of Lost that it’s creators themselves couldn’t understand where the show was heading. Now I can happily tick that item off my list of TV worries now that Person of Interest is here to keep me company in it’s ‘machina’ arms! Besides the PoI writers actually seem to know where the show is heading, unlike the ones at Lost.

• SethSr. says:

The show “Lost” does have a cult following but like its writers many of its viewers also became “Lost.” It was a case of clever TV gone crazy!

46. valerie says:

what aboutFusco??

• pat says:

Fusco is not recognized as a threat by the machine so he doesn’t need a new identity. He can still contribute to the team as a member of the police force to provide information and support the team to so they can operate safely. I hope they bring him back.

47. Grace says:

This is a JJ Abrams show. Like Lost and Alias it begins with a simple plot (plane crash or CIA spy) and then develops into an intriguing, complex, overarching idea. There is always some kind of machine, box, mystery monster…..etc in his shows. I had a feeling when I started watching it, the show would change into something like this. But as the other JJ Abrams shows, I still love it. I saw some people compare this show to Fringe. I didn’t watch that one but it is one of JJ Abrams’ shows as well. I hope that the team can still work together when they come back next season.

48. Ellen says:

I believe this fantastic show will become very different from what we’ve seen, elevated more so, if that’s even possible!

Root was very specific in her moving and eloquent explanation to the team at the end of the season finale, upon hiding their seven identities, (cloaking Finch, Reese, Shaw, the three hackers and herself). Fusco is automatically protected, although he is essential to the team, because he is unaware of the Machine’s existence. I’m sure he will play a critical role in assisting the team sometime in the future. If you think about it, in the episode of “The Crossing”, I knew Carter would become a serious target not only for taking down HR, but she also had a short and meaningful exchange with finch outside the precinct concerning the truth about how he obtains information, (the Machine).

She figured it out! She was so Amazing! Meanwhile, I agree with previous comments regarding paying close attention to the characters and story lines, particularly when it comes to JJ Abrams’ prenominal work. I was also a HUGE Fringe fan, Equalizer and heck, I was even a total Chris Carter fan for that matter, when it came to my X-Files, (I even saw the two movies based on that show and totally loved them)! I haven’t had the honor of watching “Game of Thrones”, however, my sister is a dedicated fan and has alerted me that should I begin to watch, I’d enjoy it but, would have missed important elements, critical to the show’s core.

She recommended some serious catching up would have to be done, in order to really get into the true depth of the show. In other words, to appreciate a show and all of it’s intricacies, you have to pay close attention! I have watched POI, (Person of Interest), since it’s inception and intend on seeing it through to the bitter end, excuse the pun, (mostly because our team is in continuously dangerous situations). It’s TV at it’s finest!

Side Note: When Person of Interest wants you to see things from the Machine’s point of view, for example, flashing through each year ticker tape time period with lightening speed at the bottom of your screen, there is a digital color coded dotted box that appears sometimes around the characters heads in some scenes, to indicate who in the room, is aware for the Machine and who is not. Fusco’s box is always white/dotted, to remind us that he has no knowledge of the Machine. He’s so awesome that sometimes we forget.

On another note, and this is a totally different show, particularly regarding all the sci-fi shows I’ve previously mentioned, but the same can be said for the “Good Wife”, another excellent show that isn’t sci-fi, but it speaks to my point about watching and paying attention to a show, from the very beginning, in order to appreciate its depth and gain a meaningful understanding. some might say The Good Wife, (TGW), is a totally different show now and to some degree it is… but it is about the education of Alicia’s character, so it makes sense that it would be different and therefore constantly changing, while maintaining the integrity of the show. That’s some clever and masterful writing on the King’s part! At least, this is how I see it and it makes for some darn good TV, every season!

I think growth and changes are essential, although it can be daunting, similar to life in that aspect. Anyway, I cannot wait until the fall. My POI team will have different lives and it will be interesting to see how they will attempt to become “normal” citizens, where they’ll live, the new relationships that will form as a result, their cover occupations… if any, how they’ll be secretly helping others, etc. I picture Finch working with a computer firm by day and coming home to hang out with Bear over a cup to tea at night. Perhaps Reese will return to his father’s neighborhood and reside there. Shaw might be doing something within the medical field, preferably where she won’t have to speak to people, LOL. She’s Axis II, so maybe she’ll become an anesthesiologist or something! My girl likes to skip the formalities and pleasantries of conversation, so that gig would be perfect for her! LOL!

Will the Machine take us from our current year and move us into perhaps several years later because this is the teams’ most important mission–SURVIVAL?! That would definitely show how resourcefully clever and extremely successful at staying alive they all are, as per Root insisting they do so, via the Machine’s directives. It sure does make for some interesting plot twists and in time they’ll all probably link up again, before the show’s big send off. Oh, did I mention I looked forward to the different hilarious names Fusco would come up with for Root almost every week? LOL! His comments always surprised me, (pleasantly), because in every tense situation, he’d deliver the zinger! Hilarious! Love it!

49. Ellen says:

Side Note: When Person of Interest wants you to see things from the Machine’s point of view, for example, flashing through each year ticker tape time period with lightening speed at the bottom of your screen, there is a digital color coded dotted box that appears sometimes around the characters heads in some scenes, to indicate who in the room, is aware of the Machine and who is not. Fusco’s box is always white/dotted, to remind us that he has no knowledge of the Machine. He’s so awesome that we sometimes forget.

50. Kel says:

Yeah, it’s been crazy! As much as I miss Carter, it was necessary to take POI on a larger scale beyond NYC. I still miss her, but forget quickly because the show is fantastic and is only getting better. I think it’s important that it gets us thinking about surveillance, privacy, protection, etc. because it’s never been more relevant than now.