Fall TV: Watch Trailers for Fox's Gracepoint, Backstrom, Empire and Other New Series

Along with announcing its fall 2014 schedule, Fox on Monday released trailers for several of its new series, including the highly anticipated Gotham and Gracepoint, as well as midseason offerings Backstrom and Empire.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

Watch the trailers in their entirety below:

Gotham (Mondays, 8/7c)

Gracepoint (Thursdays, 9/8c)

Mulaney (Sundays, 9:30/8:30c)

Red Band Society (Wednesdays, 9/8c)

Utopia (Tuesdays, 8/7c and Fridays, 9/8c)

Backstrom (Midseason)

Empire (Midseason)

Hieroglyph (Midseason)

Last Man on Earth (Midseason)

Wayward Pines (Midseason)

Thoughts on Fox’s fall and midseason offerings? Drop a comment with your reviews of the trailers below.

1. dj says:

I hope they change the ending in Grace Point since Broadchurch was so awesome.

• Stephanie says:

The fox execs said they would. Here’s hoping they keep that promise.

• john says:

Why don’t they just re-run broadchurch – it was prefect as it was

• James says:

BBC America aired Broadchurch.

• Tammy says:

I totally agree!

• soundscene says:

Because Broadchurch has already aired on American TV and BBC America owns the rights to air it here. Also, while I LOVE TV from the UK, it is perfectly fine to remake a series using the actors from the country in which it is intended to air. Other countries do it with American shows (even the UK), not just America. It’s not bad to want characters that come from place that is more relatable to the local audience. Moreover, different audiences respond better to different ideas, issues, pacing, etc. When you’re talking broadcast TV, you want to engage the largest audience possible. Limiting your audience to those that can easily understand foreign accents and references is not a great idea.

• soundscene says:

I should add — I know David Tennant is NOT American, and many foreign actors play Americans on American TV. But they normally use American accents, meaning they become more relatable. Didn’t make that clear in my above comment.

• Carol says:

Because we are not British.

• Newo says:

TVLine has already reported that the ending will be different per Kevin Reilly

• Anna says:

I’m kind of torn, tbh. Broadchurch was so great because the ending was mindblowing! But then again I do not want to watch the same show again, only this time the people are “more attractive” and speak with an American accent… you know what I mean? It’s a problem.

• M3rc Nate says:

Completely agree….im sure theres legal/rights reasons but its totally stupid they cant just partner with BBC (or who ever made Broadchurch) and put it on Fox. It being british full of accents actually made it better IMO…not for a tangible reason but it felt special and different…seeing it this way (Americanized) just feels like more of the same. Thank God its got Tennant though.

• Lois says:

Broadchurch was an ITV show, not BBC. It has already been on American television, strangely enough, on BBC America. Any American network could have bought the original Broadchurch, but BBC America was the one who bought it. The major American networks tend not to want foreign content, even if it’s in English.

• James says:

To be fair, US broadcast TV have imported shows for transmission, much of them coming from Canada, same way NZ and Australia air each other’s shows because of their proximity to each other.

Most British dramas tend to have shorter seasons than even the standard “short” 13-episode season of US basic cable shows. Networks have to program their primetime schedules with shows that can fill empty slots throughout the year.

British shows, in the US context, tend to be skew a narrow audience, which is the reason why Eastenders was not successfull in its stateside penetration more than 30 years ago. It’s viewable now through several PBS stations. Downton Abbey is understandably the exception but PBS has been into co-producing with British nets in creating shows for sometime now.

In addition, the new way for fans of British TV is to watch them either through cable or the internet. What network TV lacks, cable and online can deliver.

Syfy had aired at least 1 show from the BBC which is Merlin, Sundance has France’s The Returned, Hulu is airing Hollyoaks starting from its first January episode since last March, BBC America is airing shows from ITV, and BBC (ranging from Mistresses to the original Broadchurch to In the Flesh), and the rest have been US/UK co-productions such as 24: Live Another Day (Fox, Sky Atlantic), Hannibal (Sony/NBC/Sky Living), and Strike Back (Cinemax/Sky).

• James says:

So basically you’re saying the Brits are ugly?

I don’t see much fuss about ITV (BC’s original broadcaster) having a remake of their own in the form of Law and Order UK that recycles scripts from SVU, CI and the mothership.

• Lois says:

Law and Order UK isn’t a “British remake” as much as it is a spinoff. Dick Wolf produces this L&O spinoff, just like all the ones he did in the US. He’s the one who decided to recycle scripts, thinking people wouldn’t remember stories from 20 years ago.

• James says:

Fact of the matter is, you’re pointing out that the cast in the US adaptation are, in your words, “more attractive”.

L&O UK is considered both a remake and a spin-off in the mothership universe. And so far, US TV has had a fairly successful record of remakes based from existing UK shows such as All in the Family, Three’s Company, The Office, just to name a few. Remakes on both sides of the Atlantic will always be a hit or miss (The way NBC had a Coupling US as BBC One had a British Grounded for Life).

Globalization on television’s a two-way street. I won’t be surprise if the UK and the US each had their version of Japan’s Boys Over Flowers, airing on BBC 3 and The CW respectively.

• david says:

I also felt that Broadchurch was great because almost everyone knew how to act. this seems so…bland

• Tess says:

Broadchurch was great from start to finish – it was a gripping drama from the first moments to the very end. That trailer for Gracepoint basically was like watching a high school production of a Broadway play – all the elements are there but it’s just not like seeing the real thing. I thought with all the big names cast in Gracepoint that it would at least live up to Broadchurch but really the only one who really felt like they weren’t just a pale imitation was David Tennant, probably since he was already in the original (though I can’t figure out what sort of “American” accent that is supposed to be). I had really high hopes for Gracepoint but after watching the trailer I’m less sold on it than I was before.

• Joanne says:

Totally agree. If they were going to make an American “Broadchurch” the least they could have done is create a unique mystery to solve. Much as I love David Tennant…I’m not likely going to watch a show I’ve already seen. This preview shows identical scenes from what took place in Broadchurch. Try something original Fox. Oh wait…you cancel original…

• maggie says:

Broadchurch was indeed awesome. It’s so strange to watch the preview for Gracepoint and see the exact same scenes as Broadchurch. Especially weird to see David Tennant in the same role, with different co-stars and a different accent. He does a good job with the accent, but it’s still too unsettling to hear Tennant, as I’m not used to it yet.

• Hey DJ says:

And by “awesome” you mean “terrible.”

2. ggny says:

So did Mulaney just copy Seinfield? Seriously is Jerry get royals for that show?

• rowan77 says:

It reminded me of the first season or so of Seinfeld, too. Maybe it’ll find it’s groove.

• bryceradick says:

Yes but it’s more than acknowledging that it’s copying Seinfeld. It’s not like they’re trying to pass it off as a wholly original concept. Most sitcoms are just rehashings of older ones when you actually look at them. The jokes will surely be new, and situations will probably play out closer to the “Modern Seinfeld” twitter account. I for one am excited for the show.

3. miakatherine says:

All videos say, “content is currently unavailable.”

4. brandon says:

Red Band society has a great premise but it looks like soapy in a way where everything feels the same.

5. LE says:

Thanks FOX for not blocking them.

6. Project Legecy says:

Gotham and Gracepoint are must see’s for me.
    Might check out Wayward Pines and Hieroglyph.

7. Colleen says:

The Gracepoint trailer is so eerie in how it looks so much like Broadchurch. All the same shots, the same characters, same dialogue…. And David Tennant! Really weird.

I loved the thematic resonance of who the killer was in Broadchurch. I think that was the best possible choice for that theme. But, the plotting was a little weak. I’d be interested to see what Gracepoint could do in choosing to make the killer someone else.

• uh huh says:

The mom is even wearing a red jacket when she realizes her son is missing, just like in Broadchurch. It looks exactly the same, except with an American accent. I don’t see the point.

• soundscene says:

The fact that most people in the U.S. have never heard of Broadchurch must less watched it, is the point. Gracepoint wasn’t made for you; it was made for them.

8. Dani says:

Gracepoint/Broadchurch looks like The Killing meets Top of The Lake, looking forward to it
    Where is the trailer for Red Band Society? I can’t find it

9. Joey Padron says:

I’ve seen trailer for Gotham show a lot online. So excited to see show. Trailers for Gracepoint and Wayward Pines looks good.

10. Edward says:

Mulaney looks really rough. Gracepoint feels like a carbon copy but it’s cast and camera work could set it apart, Empire would be better if it belonged in cable, Hieroglyph is the wild card while Wayward Pines has huge potential but you never know with Shyamalan in the mix.

11. CK says:

I wonder if Empire is going to employ a Solange type character as a mid season antagonist now.

12. Phillip says:

Mulaney looks awful. Wayward Pines looks great, as does Hieroglyph and Gracepoint. Gotham, of course, looks incredible.

13. jenna says:

john mulaney reminds me so much of the actor who plays jonah in veep, unfortunately the show just doesn’t look very good. Hieroglyph looks like something that would be more successful on cable

14. nate says:

where the hell is RED BAND SOCIETY??

15. jj says:

gotham looks fantastic!

16. Soo… unlike NBC, here i didn’t go WOW at any of the trailers. Gotham looks the best and could be a big hit considering there they have a big fan base to begin with – i’m not into DC/Marvel stuff so it’s not interesting for me. Empire looks like it could be something worth watching, but knowing that only the first 2 seasons of Glee were hits and there were no other really successful music series… Everything else looks like shows we’ve seen already – Mulaney – Seinfield wannabe; Graceland – waay too many shows revolving about a murder; Backstorm – another crime show with “cool” main character; Wayword Pines – someone new goes to this mysterious town that looks perfectly normal on the outside…. seen that.

• Kvivik says:

Watching Backstrom trailer was like a flashback to L&O Criminal Intent’s Goren (Vincent D’Onofrio). I’m going to give it my usual couple episodes to see if it pulls me in.
      Gotham trailer is so awesome, it’s a lock on my fall schedule.

17. Based on these trailers, I’d be willing to give everything but Mulaney and Utopia a shot. Gotham and Gracepoint are both a lock for my fall schedule at this point, and I really like the Wayward Pines trailer and cast. I’d have to get to know more about the rest of the shows before committing to them, but from the look of these trailers, they all have potential.

18. Drewer says:

So wait is Terrence Howard in two of these, or should we just assume with Fox’s midseason track record there is a good chance Wayward Pines will never make it to air.

19. Lucy says:

Wayward Pines: 1 part Twin Peaks, 1 part Truman Show, add lots of big-ticket names into M. Night Shyamalan blender, serve midseason.

20. Megan says:

Gotham and Gracepoint look good… I can’t get over David Tennant’s accent, though

21. Jon says:

Gracepoint is so weird and unneccesary. Scenes copied excactly from Broadchurch and David Tennant basically playing the same character and struggling with an American accent (you can hear the Scottish just wanting to come out). Can’t imagine the new killer will have the same thematic impact either. But eh, what the heck. Nothing else I watch on Thursdays for Fall.

22. M3rc Nate says:

Utopia as a concept is really cool….but im so tired of reality shows, even good docu-series, picking (on purpose) extreme people so they know when they get together, they will clash aka create drama. Of course they had specific types of people in mind for each role they wanted to fill….the religious guy, the atheist, the feminist, etc. Annoying. Id love to see this shows concept executed without that aspect.

Backstrom: Im intrigued but i dont know how inclined i am to start watching another Cop show, another “hot mess” show, another Fox show. Rainn looks great though in that role.
    Heiroglyph: Ok is it just me or does anyone else after watching that trailer not know what is actually the plot of the show? So its Egypt i assume….there’s some scroll thats magical…theres some sort of vampire? Unless im missing something, that was a horrible trailer because I dont know what the show is actually about.

23. rflairfan1 says:

Whatever interest I had in Wayward Pines went away as soon as I saw Terrance Howard and M.Night’s name. Didn’t even finish the preview.

Mulaney looks like a horrible Seinfeld rip off. Maybe they should have went without the studio audience.

Looks like Brooklyn Nine Nine will be the only show I continue to watch on FOX.

24. Tran says:

Gotham & Gracepoint are destined to be Fox’s breakout hits. Mulaney is no Seinfeld but I hate to see Nasim Pedrad leaving SNL after spending five years with the cast. The rest of Fox’s new shows = PASS PASS PASS

25. Fin says:

I’m already sick of the Martin Short character in Mulaney… But I did laugh at the shotgun joke.

26. Deena says:

If you’re interested in Gracepoint, just go watch Broadchurch. If the accents bother you that much, put the closed captioning on. No reason to make the exact same show & just change the ending (which I can’t imagine will be better than the original)

• rflairfan1 says:

I can’t wait for Broadchurch Season 2. Most of the main cast is returning. This FOX show you could probably watch just the finale episode to know “their” killer since everything else is the same.

• R.O.B. says:

I agree on the ending. No spoilers here, but the acting when one of the characters in particular found out the truth was award-worthy and I can’t imagine there being the same impact if they change the killer in Gracepoint.

27. anna says:

utopia and mulaney look awful! and why is utopia on tuesdays with new girl and mindy project… they don’t go together at all.

28. David says:

Where is Red Band Society. It’s in the url of this page but I don’t see it.

29. Dani says:

GOTHAM and EMPIRE have my attention.
    GRACEPOINT could be good as well as HIEROGLYPH.
    MULANEY looks horrible. Don’t know about WAYWARD PINES – could have the wrong man behind it.

30. Chris H says:

Wow Fox that was mostly a pile of Crap. Gotham and Mulaney are maybes but the rest look like epic FAILS.

31. LaPiquante says:

Well, Hieroglyph looks awful, but I want to watch Backstrom & Empire right now. I hope something fails early so those can get bumped up the schedule.
    Mulaney’s selling it like it’s Seinfeld, and I can’t stand Seinfeld, so I’m definitely skipping that one, too.
    So it looks like Gotham will have to tide me over. Jury’s still out on Gracepoint.

32. R.O.B. says:

No spoilers. Please let Gracepoint have a different ending than Broadchurch. From the preview they look almost exactly the same. I don’t want to sit through the whole thing knowing what’s what. Aside from seeing how well these actors bring it, I can’t imagine anyone who saw the stellar Broadchurch will have the patience to watch again if it is all almost the same.

33. Babybop says:

Will definitely check out Gracepoint and Wayward Pines. Mulany looks so cliche and lame – which is sad because his stand up if really funny. Backstrom looks like they’re trying to do House again, so I’ll pass.

34. Cooke says:

Tennants american voice is way over the top, and waywood pines looks great

35. Velocisexual says:

Being from the country where the Utopia tv concept originates from, I can absolutely 100% confirm it sucks donkeyballs, it’s the worst kind of manipulated reality tv you can get.

Of the other trailers, Gotham looks good, Gracepoint and Empire look ok (have not seen Broadchurch yet, but will amend that), reserving judgement for Mulaney since comedy is harder to judge from a short trailer, Backstrom is House but with murders instead of medicine, so yet another procedural of a “unique” person solving murder cases. Wayward Pines looks like a bad Twin Peaks copy and Hieroglyph looks just absolutely TERRIBLE, how did that ever make it through?

• Fyrkat says:

“Wayward Pines looks like a bad Twin Peaks copy”
      That’s exactly what I was thinking.

• James says:

I don’t know. It seems more of “The Village” meets “Twin Peaks” meets “Cabin in the Woods” meets “Persons Unknown”.

36. webly3 says:

All of these look great and I will try all of them besides maybe Hieroglyph and I’m not sure about Backstrom.

37. Lexy says:

Gotham, Gracepoint, Empire, Wayward Pines I guess, with little expectation for the latter two.

38. nate says:

Wayward Pines reminds me Happy Town i think it was called a few years ago on ABC

39. Temperance says:

Hmmmm. Gracepoint – quality but nothing I have any interest in watching (volunteering for torture, nope). You couldn’t pay me to watch a minute of Empire or the dreadful looking ‘comedies’. Gotham and Hierglyph look well-thought out and have potential but will rise or fall o the scripts – both could go so very easily wrong. And Wayward Pines and Last Man? I can’t tell what they are from the pilot, especially Last Man. Is Wayward Pines a twist on Dark City?

40. bryceradick says:

I’m really surprised that The Last Man actually seems to not have other characters, I figured he’d run into someone else by the end of the trailer, but nope. I have to say, I haven’t been this interested in a sitcom concept since HIMYM. I’ll watch until it gets canceled (which, based on how out of the 67 comments on this article only one mentions the pilot, will probably be a few episodes in). But we can hope.

41. kate'shomesick says:

Gotham looks solid, Gracepoint looks really good…and NO I’m not comparing it to Broadchurch…(Yes I like Sherlock AND Elementary). Empire could be terrible but looks well produced. I refuse to comment on Utopia. Mulaney looks like a mix of Seinfeld and Louis…could go either way. Backstrom…meh…I’d rather watch Wallander. Hieroglyph – What in the world…horrible, stuff got cancelled for this??? Other stuff didn’t get picked up for this??? Last man on earth- I was annoyed by the main character pretty quickly but it kind of interests me how this concept is going to work…so I might actually check it out. Wayward Pines didn’t do anything for me, the cast looks amazing though. Is anyone going to mention the TERRENCE HOWARD problem? So is he just dying very quickly on Empire…or is there going to be another actor filling in for him after the trailer…what’s happening?

42. mbento28 says:

Empire is so awfull. this tvshow doesn’t make sense today… looks like a 80’s black show with only black people and a world of black music… terrible.

• Darren smith says:

But a show with 98% white people and 1 or NO black people in it makes more sense….like Nashville is more sense?

43. mbento28 says:

I keep watching gracepoint trailer and all the scenes were identical to the original series… a remake that’s just the same thing? the other remakes i see did’t copy paste the original… The Bridge per example.

44. Essie says:

I’m looking forward to Gotham and Gracepoint. Utopia is just stupid as here in Holland where it came from. Last Man on Earth could be interesting. The rest didn’t really have an impact on me.

45. christopher bee says:

Gotham looks fantastic, will give Last Man on Earth and Wayward Pines a chance. Can´t get Empire, love Timbaland but the show smells cheezy to me.

46. LenaR says:

Gotham looks like the winner in this lot. As expected the much ballyhooed Gracechurch is dead in the starting blocks. Lots of negative energy at upfronts yesterday and very poor reaction on twitter and in the journals. The trailer was dull and stilted and poor David Tennant’s accent as bad as early word from the set suggested. FOX will be kicking themselves that they ordered all 10 episodes for this instead of taking the pilot route. Expect this to be rescheduled before Fall or stuck in a dead loss slot. Won’t make it to episode 2 before it’s yanked. Tennant’s accent disaster was hardly unexpected as advance word had confirmed this but I am surprised how poorly put together the trailer is. Perhaps FOX is cutting their losses now and not investing further? Thus will be the first of the big 20 shows to fall. Absolute stinker.

The rest are fairly blah. FOX has the least impressive lineup so far in the upfronts.

47. AnnieM says:

Gotham, Broadchurch – er, Gracepoint, and Wayward Pines for me. Excited to see Matt Dillon on a weekly series.

48. Alice says:

How is Terrance Howard in both Empire AND Wayward Pines? He has to get killed off one, am I right?

49. Fabe says:

Wayward Pines is just a “one and done” series right? As is Gracepoint?

50. M says:

You had me at David Tennant. It might be derivative but I will watch it. I don’t care!