Fall TV First Look: NBC Releases Trailers For Constantine, Heigl's State of Affairs and More

Along with announcing its fall 2014 schedule, NBC on Sunday released trailers for several of its new series, including Katherine Heigl’s State of Affairs and Debra Messing’s The Mysteries of Laura.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

Watch the trailers in their entirety below:

A to Z (Thursdays, 9:30/8:30c)

Bad Judge (Thursdays, 9/8c)

Constantine (Fridays, 10/9c)

Marry Me (Tuesdays, 9/8c)

The Mysteries of Laura (Wednesdays, 8/7c)

State of Affairs (Mondays, 10/9c, beginning Nov. 17)

Thoughts on NBC’s fall offerings? Drop a comment with your reviews of the trailers below.

1. Hamza says:

Wish these networks could put up videos accessible all around the world!

2. dsm says:

“This content is not available”!

sucks :(

3. rflairfan1 says:

Marry Me looks decent.

4. mayiread says:

I like the look of Constantine.

5. Constantine looks great! I wonder if Goyer and NBC came to an agreement/compromise of Constantine smoking..

6. JJM says:

Constantine, Bad Judge and State of Affairs all have promise to me. I hope Kate Walsh still has time for a Grey’s Anatomy appearance or two though. Speaking of which, I hope people don’t hate on State of Affairs simply because of Katherine Heigl. I know people are still complaining about Isiah Washington, but it’s seriously time to move on.

• Ash says:

This.

And I’m also looking forward to Bad Judge. So much. God I’m excited for Kate Walsh to be back on my screen.

• carrinebchaud says:

i am actually looking forward to state of affars because of afre woodward

• jenna says:

I was intrigued by constantine but the promo just didn’t interest me. I agree about state of affairs, regardless of personal issues katherine heigl is a talented actress and was part of the reason why grey’s anatomy was so successful in its early seasons. State of affairs, A to Z and marry me are on my watch list

7. excited says:

I’m excited about Constantine.

8. P says:

Already intrigued by “Constantine” and “Bad Judge”. Will definitely be checking out both these series.

9. Kris says:

A to Z needs a title change ASAP

• Kris says:

Like “How I Met Your Mother in an Alternate Universe”

• wordsmith says:

A to Z has me fully prepared to fall in love with Cristin Milioti all over again. That said, the “…to Z” part already has me steeling myself for inevitable heartbreak.

• Temperance says:

Yes, A to Z was a totally reversal: sounds lousy, looks really good. Constantine looks a bit better, but perhaps a bit too serialized. Bad Judge – bad show. State of Affairs holds all the promise it should – aka Heigl is awesome as always (as long as she has good material). I’m on the fence about Laura and Marry Me.

• James says:

Yeah the trailer makes it sound HIMYM. Hopefuly the to z part can have a happy end like marriage and not death.

• bryce says:

Agreed! But I am pleasantly surprised by how quality it looks!

10. tatjash says:

I loved The Mysteries of Laura and I like Az to Z

• Delirious says:

Gotta say, the adaptation from the spanish show is loose, at best. The characters of Laura have very little to do with each other, if you ask me.

Also, am I the only one who gets the feeling they’ve already watched the pilot after watching the trailer? Same thing with State of Affairs.

• dude says:

I was just going to say. That Mysteries of Laura trailer was the entire pilot in 3 minutes, killer reveal included.

11. Liz says:

“This content is currently…”
    *sigh*

12. Buddy says:

Not interested in the new dramas, but all three comedies look promising. I think I will definitely watch Marry Me and A to Z.

13. Joey Padron says:

A to Z, Bad Judge, Constantine, Marry Me, and State Of Affairs looks good. Looking forward to check out those shows this fall.

14. DL says:

I’ll check out Constantine, Marry Me, and A to Z.

15. Babybop says:

A to Z actually looks really cute. Marry Me looks funny and I’d watch it anyways just because of the two leads. I’m not sure about the other shows… I’d have to wait for reviews to come out before I spend my time on them.

16. Elizabeth says:

I’ll wait for reviews before I make my final viewing choices, but based on these alone, I’d give ‘A to Z,’ ‘Bad Judge,’ ‘Marry Me’ and ‘State of Affairs’ a shot. ‘Constantine’ looks way too dark for me and ‘The Mysteries of Laura’ just did nothing for me in the preview.

17. Mary says:

I’m liking State of Affairs and Mysteries of Laura! Definitely intrigued! I really hope Katherine Heigle will be able to make it work – despite reports of her “difficulty” I really like her as an actress.

18. Dennis says:

Kate Walsh and Katherine Heigl one the same network? I’M SO THERE!!
    State of Affairs looks incredible, just WOW, that trailer blew me away and gave me the chills! Can’t wait!!!!!

• Lily says:

As far as I know they are good friends, I was like that is one hell of a coincidence……look forward to both of their shows and Constantine…..looks really good

• Dennis says:

Yeah they are! They are really good friends. They are going to have so much fun together at the upfronts. So happy for both of them!!

19. bj says:

Considering that I’ll watch these shows on NBC here in Canada at the same time as the Americans watch it in the States, it makes no sense to me that they don’t allow us to see the advertising for it.

20. Elizabeth says:

Wait a minute! I just realized they put the new Kate Walsh show on opposite Grey’s Anatomy on Thursdays….that’s just not right!

• Dennis says:

Kate Walsh is returning to Thursdays, same time as when she was on Grey’s and Private Practice!
      Smart move, NBC?! Or trying to steal Grey’s audience? Hmmmmm.

At least they didn’t put Katherine Heigl opposite Grey’s, that would be even weirder!

• Babygate says:

That’s what I said! My first reaction was that they are going after Grey’s which continues to be number 1 in their spot. Not cool putting Kate Walsh against her old show. Thank God for Dvrs. What will be interesting though, is what happens when The Blacklist takes this spot in the Spring.

21. Lucy says:

Constantine is the only one that shows promise… if I can get my scaredy-butt self over the demons! Might be a next-day-afternoon show for me!

22. Edward says:

It’s so cute when NBC tries.

23. JC1 says:

I was possibly interested in Constantine, but that looks a little dark for me, and not really seeing anything else I’m interested in adding to my (already overcrowded) TV schedule. ;) I’d like to see a trailer for Odyssey though, whenever that comes out. I’m assuming we’re not going to get trailers for midseason shows for a while though.

24. dj says:

Looking forward to Stafe of Affairs and Constantine!

25. Mary says:

Also gotta add that Bad Judge looks good. A to Z – don’t know, I really like the male lead so I’m glad that he’s going to be on the air but not really sure about what the show is going to be about. And I really liked Constantine. Solid looking fantasy show. I’ll definitely give all of the shows a shot.

26. Jim says:

Marry Me is my favorite of the bunch. The Mysteries of Laura seems interesting…

27. May says:

The Mysteries of Laura looks really good, and A to Z is the only comedy that has grabbed my attention.

28. Lexy says:

I can’t access the videos neither here nor on NBC’s youtube channel :(

29. None of them look like complete duds, although by my estimation A to Z and State of Affairs are my predictions for the ones that do well. That said I am always rooting for Kate Walsh and Debra Messing!

30. kiks says:

A to Z, Marry Me and Mysteries of Laura look really great and interesting! I also like Kate Walsh as an actress so I really hope her show does well!

31. Stacy says:

So excited for State of Affairs, it surprisingly looks really, really good!

32. Becky says:

Yay Katherine Heigl, she looks great in the new show! Hope it does well, it looks really strong!

33. greysfan says:

State of Affairs and Bad Judge look great. A-Z also has some promise. The rest wait and see.

34. P. says:

I thought these trailers wouldn’t be released for at least a few more days. Thanks NBC & Tvline for the early surprise. I’m really looking forward to watching State of Affairs. I hope the ratings are good.

35. NBC videos are region locked, urgh.

36. Sean says:

State of Affairs looks amazing. The rest look decent. I’ll give them all a try.

37. CBWBDK1 says:

Constantine looks amazing!!!! Marry me looks very funny!

38. Jewels says:

Agreed…State of Affairs looks fantastic and so does Constantine. I wonder if these would be better played out in a movie though. Still…looking forward to both.

39. Mohammed says:

For those who can not watch the videos
    use HOLA :)

40. Teresa says:

The Mysteries of Laura’s trailer doesn’t do the show any favors: gives the whodunnit away, generally looks like it’s trying too hard to be funny. I might view a preview of it if NBC releases the pilot early for free on hulu or iTunes, otherwise, I’m passing on it. Definitely looking forward to Constantine, Marry Me, A to Z, Bad Judge, & State of Affairs.

41. Tran says:

Skip Mysteries of Laura and A to Z. Marry Me looks promising because of Casey Wilson who was so hilarious in Happy Endings, Bad Judge is also hilarious and I can’t believe they put two SNL alums in Chris Parnell and Horatio Sanz in the pilot and Constantine does have potential. The only new show on NBC I’m looking forward to is State of Affairs (it’s Homeland meets Scandal).

42. HAP says:

Don’t understand why they scheduled Mysteries of Laura at 8pm.

43. CK says:

State of Affairs looks good. It just needs to be scheduled appropriately and NBC has issues with that.

44. M3rc Nate says:

My opinions & predictions:
    A-Z: Looks adorable, fun, realistic (not soapy) and overall looks like what i want in a “dating/relationship” TV show. Kinda satisfies that thing missing from the end of How I Met Your Mother, not actually getting to see the cute, fun couple actually be together. Prediction: It looks like a solid fun cute show, i’d say it lasts 2-3 seasons then the network cancels it to attempt to get a new show in its timeslot for bigger ratings. I dont think it will be the next “New Girl”, but maybe like “About a Boy” in critical acclaim and ratings. MAYBE it lasts but I dont think i know of a sitcom show about a couple dating/in love that has lasted for more than a small handful of seasons. They just dont survive like a NCIS type show.
    Bad Judge: The trailer wasnt boring but i didnt actually smile or laugh at any part of it, and im not sure how the “messy cant get her life in order woman” show will do. I love me some Kate Walsh but personally i dont really like watching Hot Messes. Im getting a “Fairly Legal” feeling here but not as high quality. Prediction: It wont last longer than 1 season.
    Constantine: Looked awesome, realistic in terms of CGI and “sets” and locations, totally seems like it can compete against Sleepy Hallow in the “mystical/demonic/magic etc” genre. But unlike Sleepy Hallow this is based on a Comic Book which will give it a good installed fanbase that will give it a good shot, and if its good will keep watching (like with Arrow). The main male actor seems great in the role and very likable, and the main female actresses is someone I personally love from Robin Hood. Prediction: It’s a hit, multiple seasons.
    Marry Me: Didn’t laugh, didn’t smile, don’t really understand the concept other than two Hot Messes who keep proposing to each other or something? I like the main actor and actress but after seeing them on Children’s Hospital and that Bachelor spoof Burning Love…its hard to take them seriously and not see them as those ridiculous characters. Prediction: Cancelled within first season, most likely after only a few episodes.
    The Mysteries of Laura: Another female Hot Mess show, another cop show, and add divorced single mom to the list….I’m starting to see a pattern, which is fine considering I assume that’s the demo for these shows. However this trailer didn’t make me smile, laugh, or do anything but yawn. It doesn’t impress me at all with the police work, she wont compare to a Mentalist or Psych or Sherlock or POI or True Detective or any of the great crime solving shows, and I don’t really care to see a single mom struggling as “entertainment” unless done in a super funny way, or super heartfelt way. Prediction: Cancelled within first season, most likely given a full season shot but not renewed for a second.
    State of Affairs: Now this one is difficult. On one hand its NBC…they never do police/soldiers/military/White House/CIA/etc right…they always get so much wrong it bugs the hell outta me, but admittedly I am much more knowledgeable in those topics than most, who most likely aren’t aware enough of whats wrong to know its wrong. On the other hand this trailer looked good, now yes it had another Hot Mess female lead, banging strangers cause she cant get over the death of her ex, BUT technically that’s something some people really do, and in the trailer it comes off like it might only be that way for a episode or two. The overall plot seems interesting enough, the sets/locations/action didn’t seem so fake in the trailer as to put me off. I worry about Katherine H…I wonder if she can exude warmth and lovability and likability, in this trailer she just came off as Katherine H the actress not really that character…cold, distant not much emotion, BUT that seems to be what the character is going through so who knows.This show doesn’t have the power and intrigue of Blacklist in my opinion, and its not like the Blacklist is network TV’s version of True Detective to begin with. This show seems like a Network TV ripoff of Homeland, with a hot mess female lead (even blonde), CIA connections, White House connects, etc. Prediction: Could go either way, might be a hit or might do well enough to warrant a second season and maybe even a third, but then be on the bubble and get cancelled.
    I personally will watch State of Affairs, A-Z, and Constantine.
    Side note: I find it very interesting, how almost every show revolves around women or female empowerment. Dont get me wrong thats fine, but its interesting. State of Affairs with the “strong” female lead whos out for blood cause of her murdered ex, with her boss/would be mother-in-law being a black female president, Mysteries of Laura a single mother cop over 40 years old, Bad Judge a strong over 40 year old female judge…etc. Whats interesting is i cant really think of a show that is that way that’s a huge success critically or in ratings. Shows that seem to be loved by women and men, and are huge successes critically/in ratings are like Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy, The Walking Dead, POI, NCIS & LA, Castle, USA network shows, True Detective, Breaking Bad, BBT, etc. These shows are good no matter if your a woman or a man, and their casts have strong male & female characters. So i dont really get the targeting of women with shows staring 30-40+ year old hot mess women, unable to have it “all” but struggling to try to make it work etc.

• Ana says:

Man, the last part of your comment sounded really sexist. That male-lead shows have been really successful recently does not mean a female lead show can’t be. After all, Scandal is female lead. And Orphan Black is loved by critics. Also, the only shows that fit your point in that list is Breaking Bad (which didn’t become a huge success till it’s final season), TBBT, TWD, SOA and True Detective. And even then, their success has more to do with their quality and nothing to do with gender.

• M3rc Nate says:

I didnt say a show cant have a female lead or shouldn’t, or that the shows listed were proof of male lead shows should be the norm per-say. My point was i noticed with this pilot lineup that the theme seems to be female lead but hot mess females, divorced/single mom females etc. I haven’t started Orphan Black but i love the lead actress and i cant wait to watch it.
        My point was that the huge hit shows that i can think of, are almost all (except Scandal, The Good Wife, and Orphan Black though technically OB only has 1.5 Mil viewers) ensemble casts slightly male led. Im not saying thats how it should be…but i haven’t really seen any show succeed at what NBC’s pilots are trying to do. Can you name a female led comedy/dramady show on network TV thats succeeding? Im not saying it cant be done or shouldn’t be done, im saying these ones dont look like the ones to succeed to me.
        (Technically SOA has slowly grown into the hit it is (from ~2 Mil to 6 Mil), and same but magnified with The Walking Dead, having 5.35 Mil viewers for its Premier, to Season 2 premier at 7.26 Mil, Season 3 premier at 10.87 Mil and the Season 4 premier at 16.11 Mil viewers.

• jamie says:

Mom, 2 broke girls, mindy project, the middle, parks and recreation are all female led comedies. I agree with Ana your comment sounded quite sexist

• M3rc Nate says:

True, Moms is great, Mindy Project funny, never seen the Middle, Parks and Rec id call a female lead/ensemble. I dont really care what you think Jamie, whether it SOUNDS sexist or not, it isnt, my point is simple, these pilots look typical, generic, unfunny, and i was pointing out how it was interesting the majority of the NBC pilots are female lead/hot mess 40y/o characters. A observation (thats a fact) isnt sexist. Its like if 4 of the 6 pilots had been black leads, observing and mentioning the observation as interesting doesnt make it racist. Turn down the sensitivity a bit.

• B says:

first you couldn’t think of any female led dramas then you couldn’t think of any female led comedies? Looks like someone just didn’t try to think of any!

• M3rc Nate says:

Oh and i said it was interesting about these pilots focusing on women leads/female empowerment. Not thats it bad or negative or shouldnt happen. In fact the opposite, id love shows with amazing female characters/leads. My point was these specific NBC pilots….i think they wont succeed, and i havent come across more than i can count on one hand that has succeeded critically/in ratings. Im just saying it seems like the big hits are ensembles, and reality TV. POI, SOA, TWD, BBT, NCIS/LA, CSI, USA Network shows, etc etc etc etc.

• Lisa London says:

Nate, I’m a woman and I don’t find your comments particularly sexist – you’re just stating a fact and I don’t think you were passing judgement here. NBC is not the Hallmark Channel so their choices this Fall are indeed interesting and surprising.
          I agree with all of your predictions above. I am disappointed in State of Affairs. Ms. Heigl didn’t seem to have more than one wooden expression for the entire trailer. I’ve never watched Grey’s Anatomy so I don’t really know if she’s capable of more but that was not convincing at all.
          I’ll give Constantine and AtoZ a go. Love the actors in Marry me but concept looks idiotic…
          Finally, you should definitively watch Orphan Black – it’s brilliant!

• George Furtado says:

Re: SOA lead being a white female with a black lover? Why are all the networks so focused on portraying these type of relationships? Is it to match the cheating interracial engagement of the “Black Box” trio of characters?…Could it be the fantasy of the black cabbie who drives the white detective around while hitting on her white mom?…How about the white lawyer cheating on her white husband with a black co-worker on the series “Mistress?” Maybe itʻs just a trend thatʻs designed to win the hearts and excite the minds of the black male viewers. I find it Insulting and perhaps even manipulative for people of color to be placed in these unlikely scenarios.

45. david says:

Not really excited about any of them

46. Nikunj Dixit says:

A to Z looks really cute but I’m not sure what the show will be about. The lead pair seems to have chemistry and Cristin Millioti is still adorable. It does have a bit of a HIMYM vibe to it with the guy being a hopeless romantic and the whole conversation about destiny. Seem’s right out of Ted’s handbook. State of Affairs could be good, or it could be really silly. Hopefully its ‘The Blacklist’ of season 2014-15 for NBC. Constantine looks good. Don’t have interest in any of the others but ‘The Mysteries of Laura’ seems to be the worst of the lot. At least it has the worst promo of the lot.

• Temperance says:

I’m not sure what could be worse than the promo for Bad Judge or Marry Me, but the weak-ish Laura wasn’t bad.

47. Nit Picker Jr says:

Oy, the hoops we have to jump through just watch some trailers… and all because networks still haven’t managed to grasp the globality concept of the Web. (Hint: it’s, like, *everywhere*!)

That said, after jumping through the hoops, here’s where I stand.
    - A-Z? Nah. Comedy 101. I really like Christin Miloti and wanted to be prepared to follow her new show but I can’t stand comedy 101.
    - Constantine? Nah, relies too much (it seems) on an unhealthy combination of FX and subpar British actors/accents. A shame, the character (and the comic) is interesting, but not this version by the looks of it.
    - Bad Judge? Yeah, looks clever. I don’t really care for Kate Walsh normally but this looks like a good part for her.

[fast forward]

- State of Affairs? Yep, unless another show on the same theme only better comes along. Looks promising, despite having the Heigl girl in it. We’ll see how they all turn out in full versions though…

48. jm says:

They Copied almost all the plot for the pilot from the Spanish TV-Show… but i cant help laughing with Debra… looking forward to it

49. I actually liked every single one of the trailers and thought NBC tried what there isn’t right now on TV. A to Z is like the Slutty Pumpkin story from HIMYM getting its own show – could be interesting considerring HIMYM ended and HIMYD is (still) not picked up. Marry Me is like Penny lost the gang and went for the love of her life – it would have been perfect match with A to Z – wondering why didn’t they pair it together. Bad Judge is funny – looks like it could become a cult comedy. The Mysteries of Laura is the fun crime show that Castle and Bones used to be in their first seasons. Constantine’s trailer looked like a movie trailer – could work where they placed it if there are enough fans to watch (would have been beter on SyFy, FX or AMC). State of Affairs is where Revenge meets The Blacklist – could work in that timeslot. Overall i’m probably not going to watch any of the shows, because now i’m looking to reduce my tv schedule, but if they work and get more episodes, I would deffinately be interested in them.

50. Megan says:

was that katy sagal narrating for A to Z? Totally sounded like her!