Nashville Renewed For Season 3 at ABC

HAYDEN PANETTIERE, CONNIE BRITTONDon’t put dirt on Nashville‘s grave just yet.

The country-music drama will be back for a 22-episode third season, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Debate over the size of the Connie Britton/Hayden Panettiere series’ third season was what delayed the network from announcing Nashville‘s return, our sister site Deadline reports.

1. Ms Thing says:

This is great news!

2. Ashley says:

Yay! All of my favorites have now been officially renewed. Now I don’t have to fret for another year. Phew.

3. LE says:

Deadline is reporting that is a for a 22 episode season

4. nate says:

ABOUT DAMN TIME!! I NEED PARENTHOOD NEWS PRONTO. THATS THE LAST THING IM WORRIED ABOUT

• Yes, shockingly, most of the shows I love got renewed, the one’s I’m grieving are Intelligence, Crazy Ones, Mixology (guilty pleasure) and Almost Human (bring it back FOX!!!).
      But I need my Parenthood back for a final season.

5. Kowhai says:

Awesome. After revolutions cancellation I couldn’t have taken another one.

• the girl says:

I mean really.

• Ally Oop says:

Same. My top 5 tv shows are Orphan Black, Revolution, Vikings, Parenthood and Nashville. Revolution’s cancellation was hard enough for me. And not knowing the fates of both Nashville and Parenthood was awful. At least Nashville was renewed.

6. Jillian says:

FINALLY! Been waiting all day for this. Now just waiting for news on Parenthood!

7. David4 says:

ABC has low standards for dramas so this isn’t too too shocking.

• Jess says:

YOU have low standards for dramas.

• Jerry says:

I think David4 meant low standards in terms of ratings expectations.

• David4 says:

Yes. I’m not a fan of the show, never watched it really so I can’t say how it is creatively but ABC has had issues finding hit dramas in recent years, so they renew more shows at lower levels ratings wise.

• Zayne says:

Yeah, I’m guessing the fact that their soundtracks hit the top 20 on the billboard charts probably help that decision. I think the Scarlett solo album even hit the top 10 on the country charts.

• David4 says:

Also deadline.com, the sister site of TVline, is reporting there probably was a tax create deal so the state of TN pays for more of the show, otherwise it was going to get less episodes.

• I could care less about that. Just glad it will be back!

• Eric says:

The nightly news here in Nashville confirmed that there was an issue with the state tax credits holding up talks. Glad they got it worked out! I really enjoy seeing them filming around the city and love the show.

• Television Scout says:

That is an option, or the show may have to move out of TN and back to LA (which was considered at the end of S1 last summer). That, or maybe a move to our friends up in Canada. At this point, I think a move of the series location filming may be more likely than a drastic episode reduction.

• Elyse says:

I’m sure the iTunes sales help.

• samantha says:

some of the best music comes off of this show. you probably dont even watch it yet have an opinion.

8. Sarah says:

Yay! I’m so happy! It gives them the opportunity to inject some life back in this show.

On an unrelated note, Black Box isn’t listed on the renewal scorecard?

9. kay says:

yay!!!! finally hopefully we will get our rayna and deacon reunion now!

10. Juan says:

Yay love!!!!! Nashville

11. Eliza says:

Yay. Was waiting on this one.
    Not gonna lie but I feel like I need a support group with some of the cancellations that have happened in a few short hours lol

12. Cassandra says:

I’ve been waiting for this news all day. This makes up for ABC canceling Trophy Wife….almost.

13. RUCookie says:

Woohoo you’all!

14. Chris says:

YEE-HAW!!!!!!

15. Daniel Armour says:

Glad Nashville is coming back. I wish I could say the same for Suburgatory, though :-(

16. sandmann58 says:

This is great I only wish they could come to terms with the city so we wouldn’t have to worry about a fourth season if it dose well :)

• N tTVf says:

This issue of location filming in TN will be revisited next season at this time (as it was last summer after S1). At some point, they/ABC need to get with the producers and CB and HP and take a group ‘field trip’ up to Vancouver Canada to have a look around for S4, should they get that far along in the series. ;)

17. David says:

Yeah Parenthood is the last renewal I’m waiting on now. I felt like I made our pretty well this season on casualties of shows I watch. Suburgatory is the biggest dissapointment for me.

18. JAO says:

Music to my ears!

19. Samantha Rose says:

Thank goodness!!! Been waiting on pins and needles for days about this. This would up the chance for a fourth season too, right? Because of syndication, etc.?

20. Merissa says:

Literally let out a huge sigh of relief and said “Oh thank god!”

21. Saabgirlatx says:

Hooray!!!!!!!!! (Y’all!!!)

22. Apples says:

Damn, I thought it would be canceled. Looks like that 4th season is going to have CW-like numbers when its downward ratings trend continues…

23. anto33 says:

SO GLAD!After the cancellation of Suburgatory I feared the worst…

24. Marcie says:

Hallelujah!

25. GeoDiva says:

Wahoo!

26. Chelsea says:

Yeah!!!!!!!!!

27. roz12 says:

Yes! More Chip Esten!!

28. Elaine says:

Yay! So happy! And this means 22 more Kimberly Roots episode recaps! Love them as much as the show itself. :)

29. ivy says:

i’m totally shocked

30. Babygate says:

This is the last one I was waiting for. It’s all good now. Im sure the music sales helped too.

31. Tahonia says:

Finally the news I’ve been waiting for! Now, I only have the Mentalist news to wait for!

32. Kristen says:

Yay!!!!!!! So freaking happy!!!!

33. Claire says:

best news ever. I need Connie Britton in my life.

34. Wooooooooo hooooooooooo! I am absolutely thrilled! Have been waiting for this. It was fantastic to start my weekend off with this news.

35. Amy H says:

Hurray! The only thing better than a Nashville renewal is Kimberly Roots’ recaps. They make my Thursday mornings!

36. Steph says:

Why? The ratings suck and the show sucks. And yes I’ve watched it. I just recently stopped watching it after Juliette slept with Jeff because I realized Nashville is never going to allow genuine character development to happen when they can rely on characters sleeping around to create drama. Where they were going with Juliette letting her grow up was my favorite part of show and they blew all that to pieces. So yea way to waste your money on a pile on crap ABC.

• Emgee says:

Guess what, Steph. No one cares what you think.

• Will says:

Actually, she makes a valid point. The ‘one step forward, two steps back’ approach to Juliette can’t keep going on forever just to satisfy fans of the more vapid iteration of the character. And honestly, this applies to most of the characters on the show, who have certain labels slapped on them and are then passed off as complex when they’re really not. Combine this with the show’s love affair with new characters, and that’s a bad mix that somehow manages to survive despite deserving otherwise. This cast shouldn’t be getting the ratings it’s getting, and it certainly shouldn’t be losing to a show going on its fifteenth season in CSI.

• Emgee says:

But did she step back by sleeping with Jeff? Does every mistake someone makes constitute a “step back”? Or does it just make it a mistake, which she clearly regretted immediately.
          And how can you say the show has a love affair with new characters? It’s no more than any other show that introduces recurring characters and promotes some of them to regulars.
          And again, no one cares what you think, either.

• Will says:

It is a step back when she has shown better judgement prior to sleeping with Jeff, the size of which may vary depending on how much of a fan of hers you are. Has she shown poor judgement as well? Yes, but this was just contrived bs that did the character no favors whatsoever.

Secondly, Luke and Jeff have been promoted to regulars, which may or may not mean anything, but they certainly get more story than some of the cast who’ve been on the show longer than them, Luke even getting a son and standing in between Deacon and Rayna. And you can throw Layla into the mix as well, though she hasn’t been promoted to regular, nor has Zoe, both of whom had more of a presence than Gunnar, though I admit that isn’t saying much. And don’t even get me started on the moving set piece with lines that they’ve turned Avery into.

Lastly, you obviously cared enough to respond.

• Ana says:

If that’s the case, No one cares what you think either. Your opinion is not more valid than his.

37. Georgia says:

Yes!! This is the news I was waiting for, along with SHIELD coming back. Nashville is unique on television, combining the music and scripted drama. It’s a great and needed alternative to yet another cop/spy drama, or worse unscripted (charight) ‘reality’ programming. So glad ABC is giving it another season. BRAVO!! And kudos for giving AoS time to grow.

38. Georgia says:

And of course I forgot to add — anything that keeps Charles Esten on my TV get my vote. LOVE!

39. Roque says:

Yayy !!! I love the show Nashville is one of the best series on TV It portrays country living and country.music and the wonderful city of Nashville Tennessee. Be proud …….all the people in Nashville support the show thank you ABC

40. Forwardad says:

Why so long on parenthood news? Glad for Nashville but hope the same if not more for Parenthood. Wonder if the delay is amount of episodes?

• N tTVf says:

Parenthood has a slightly different problem – although, it all comes down to money (who would have guessed?). ;) In the case of Parenthood, the show is older and contract issues with the cast are getting more expensive, the show (like Nashville) has a large cast, etc.

In the case of Parenthood, NBC wants/needs to issue a ‘short order’ of episodes to wrap the series up – 13 episodes, but to save money, they want to include the cast in only 9 of the episodes at any given time, so not all the cast will be able to appear in all the thirteen final season episodes – only a combination of any given nine. That’s (what appears to be) the final NBC offer on the table for Parenthood and their production team.

NBC has to be ready to roll on Monday morning at Upfront – one could argue, they need to be ready with their fall’14 schedule by late tomorrow night/Sunday. Hence, something needs to be worked out by end of today/Saturday, maybe by tomorrow afternoon/Sunday, at the very latest. Since this is an older series, I don’t think NBC will keep Parenthood on ‘hold’ until after the Upfront on Monday – they need a decision within the next 24 hours +/- .

41. Luli101 says:

Woo Hoo!!!

42. Glinda says:

I love Nashville ! They need to find a way for these networks to see how many people record and buy on iTunes. If they did Nashville would never been on doubt!

43. Kristen says:

Nashville will be run on Fridays???? WTF????

44. Will says:

Good for the fans and the cast, but disappointing because neither the ratings nor the writing justify the renewal. The creator and her writers certainly didn’t deserve it.

45. erich says:

I kinda agree with some of the people here in that I’m glad Nashville got renewed but the writing could use improvement.

46. Erika says:

Yippee! I was getting worried. Glad they went with a full-length season order.

47. Britt says:

I’m happy!!!!!

48. Ava says:

Woo-hoo! All my favorites will be back next season. So excited. Nashville deserved a third season.

49. Dante says:

Whew! It was the last of my favorites that I was waiting to hear word on. Glad it’s been renewed!